Sign in to follow this  
TheURLGuy

Armada: HMS Exeter

22 comments in this topic

[USCC2]
Beta Testers
1,386 posts
12,508 battles

I have the HMS Exeter, I love playing it and she is not a bad ship.

She has a slow reload of the main guns, but they are accurate and do nice damage.

Her hull is a bit weak, don’t show your broadside you will be punished for it, but in a head on or obelic she does pretty well, having Hull Heal helps.

Her speed and turning are good.

She can fight and win in her tier and does pretty well in tier VI and VII matches if handled well.

I was surprised that it was for sale at $35, which is why I got it.  Most ships are way too expensive and I will not spend that kind of money, especially with all the fluff they add.

So for the price, you get a lot of fun out of it and she gives back in return with credits and XP earn.

That’s just my take on this ship.

• Cool 1

[-K_P-]
Members
347 posts
3,063 battles

@TheURLGuy The writers forgot to put the machine gun AA specs on the Armada page, they show the picture of the Octo Pom-poms and the Quad guns but only show the specs for the Pom-Poms.

@RoundsDownRange Agreed, Exeter is a good ship, knew I wouldn't have time for the marathon so purchased her for that great price.  I place her fun level between the USS Texas and the USS  Indianapolis, as long as you don't do anything stupid.  I have citadelled her tier sisters and she is agile enough to avoid long range fire as long as you are watching for the gun blooms.  I constantly terrorize BBs and heavy CAs that way at 13-15km in her.

[-DICE]
Members
428 posts
11,612 battles

I am not spending one more bloody cent on this game until I start enjoying it again.  It's been tedious as of late. 

[ALLY]
Members
147 posts
16,134 battles

To all:

While I do not purchase ships, I do try and get the free premiums when I can.  I am working on it and not sure if I will get it, but I am definitely trying.  It is funny that this is the last Heavy Cruiser built for the Royal Navy.  I wonder what paper ships they will have if they decide to have a heavy cruiser royal line.  The geek in me is very interested in learning how WG will handle this even if it is not totally historically accurate.

C130 signing off

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts

Since the article neglects to mention about the camo, I'm just going to leave this here.

"Unusually, she was never repainted in Admiralty disruptive scheme camouflage, but retained her pre-war coat of mid-grey until she was sunk in action on 1 March 1942. Her wooden decks also remained unpainted. This view shows her as she looked during the battle of the Java Sea in February 1942."

cc748cbfbe00062ec28846cf3c606a50.png

For whatever reason WG decided to rip-off the historical camo of Exeter's sister ship York. WG must really hate solid colour paint schemes.

[AUG]
Alpha Tester
323 posts
5,530 battles

Marathon sucks [edited]... same in WoT, Wargaming.net marathons are no longer the hype event of the past, is just a crazy grind to get a discount and pay something at the end anyway

• Cool 1

Members
6 posts
6,102 battles

I think I'm about average as a player, and the missions for the first 3 weeks are easy enough. the forth week however is another story. I don't see me getting them all done in a week unless I play for 20 hours a day, and that will be playing with suicidal tactics in co-op battles to get the citadels, but the achievements can only be done in random games (even though it says random and co-ops) and I'm not thinking that will be so easy. I wish they would have put one of these harder missions in each of the previous weeks. wargamings only reason to put all the hard missions in the last week is to make players fail so some of them will pay money and buy the ship they have so much time invested in already. at least in world of tanks they give you a percentage discount for getting to different points of the mission, here they make you pay full price for coming up short. 

[ALLY]
Members
147 posts
16,134 battles
16 hours ago, joedoe_hero said:

I think I'm about average as a player, and the missions for the first 3 weeks are easy enough. the forth week however is another story. I don't see me getting them all done in a week unless I play for 20 hours a day, and that will be playing with suicidal tactics in co-op battles to get the citadels, but the achievements can only be done in random games (even though it says random and co-ops) and I'm not thinking that will be so easy. I wish they would have put one of these harder missions in each of the previous weeks. wargamings only reason to put all the hard missions in the last week is to make players fail so some of them will pay money and buy the ship they have so much time invested in already. at least in world of tanks they give you a percentage discount for getting to different points of the mission, here they make you pay full price for coming up short. 

Hey Joe,

I do not play WoT so I never knew they gave discounts if you completed parts of a mission.  While I do not think that I would do it. it may entice others to pay more.  WoWs should consider it.

C130 signing out

Members
222 posts
26,489 battles

I hope I play the players that equip their ships as recommended, good if your captain has zero skills. Its almost a Pensacola with a better aim. I think with a 19 skilled captain it will be a great tier 7 fighting ship. The dispersion it has and with the fast shells I'm sure it will give a beating to a tier 5/6 BB's. I am close to adding it to the fleet.

Edited by xLeadSledx

[USCC2]
Beta Testers
1,386 posts
12,508 battles
On 3/17/2019 at 2:36 PM, joedoe_hero said:

Does not help that for Part 3 of the mission you Need 20 Torpedo Ribbons, that all the ribbons are not being counted.  First 2 battles got four (4), the meter shows 1 sent bug report to WG...*crickets crickets crickets*

[ALLY]
Members
147 posts
16,134 battles
5 hours ago, tthunder said:

once you complete all the missions do you get the ship automatically or what?

tthunder,

I can only speak to what has happened in the past for me most recently with the PEF and Dreadnaught.  It shows you awarded on a screen and when you go back to port your ship is there.  I would assume it is the same for this.

C130 signing out

Members
2,868 posts
509 battles

part four.... achievements in UK CW destroyers or cruisers is looking to be a hard one...I mean FIrstblood is one of the easiest, but unfortunately in COOP that does not happen,,.. and with 11 other ships and me in my Cossak... well it might be a LONG day

[ALLY]
Members
147 posts
16,134 battles
2 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

part four.... achievements in UK CW destroyers or cruisers is looking to be a hard one...I mean FIrstblood is one of the easiest, but unfortunately in COOP that does not happen,,.. and with 11 other ships and me in my Cossak... well it might be a LONG day

Neptune,

I thought that British BBs were also included.  That opens up Devastating Strike, Fire Proof, Arsonist, and Dreadnought.  Trying to help.

C130 signing out

[CVA16]
Members
4,389 posts
13,652 battles
3 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

All I have past T5 are the Brit DDs thru Lightning (and a Perth). Cossack in Co-op was great for some of the earlier Exeter grinds but not sure the DDs are reliable to get Achievements. Might be a hopeless cause.

Members
2,868 posts
509 battles
1 hour ago, Hercules_C130 said:

Neptune,

I thought that British BBs were also included.  That opens up Devastating Strike, Fire Proof, Arsonist, and Dreadnought.  Trying to help.

C130 signing out

so I re-read the pre-req... and yes My Warspite will be going out to sea now....its all I have right now as I don't really play a lot of BBs in that class. the ID has 15K XP so I need 30 more for the Queen...

Edited by neptunes_wrath

[ALLY]
Members
147 posts
16,134 battles
On 3/22/2019 at 4:20 PM, neptunes_wrath said:

so I re-read the pre-req... and yes My Warspite will be going out to sea now....its all I have right now as I don't really play a lot of BBs in that class. the ID has 15K XP so I need 30 more for the Queen...

Neptune,

I have completed the first section this weekend. The Warspite and Nelson did the majority of the work for me with Achievements (Multiple Dreadnought, fireproof, and arsonist).  I did get a first strike with the Jervis to finish it off.  I also did a lot of cursing when I thought I was going to get a Dreadnought or Fireproof only to be deleted with like 30 seconds left in the game from a shot out of no where.  It is hard to convince someone that you are an adult when you are cursing at the computer when you are oh so close to completing the mission to find out you did not complete it.  I think that I have until this Sunday to complete the rest of the missions.  I know that I had multiple 3 kill missions this weekend, but when I need it, it will take me forever to get it I am sure.

Good Luck on your quest,

C130 signing out

Members
2,868 posts
509 battles
23 minutes ago, Hercules_C130 said:

Neptune,

I have completed the first section this weekend. The Warspite and Nelson did the majority of the work for me with Achievements (Multiple Dreadnought, fireproof, and arsonist).  I did get a first strike with the Jervis to finish it off.  I also did a lot of cursing when I thought I was going to get a Dreadnought or Fireproof only to be deleted with like 30 seconds left in the game from a shot out of no where.  It is hard to convince someone that you are an adult when you are cursing at the computer when you are oh so close to completing the mission to find out you did not complete it.  I think that I have until this Sunday to complete the rest of the missions.  I know that I had multiple 3 kill missions this weekend, but when I need it, it will take me forever to get it I am sure.

Good Luck on your quest,

C130 signing out

I finally finished and got it..... its OK...  not as good as when I first saw FLAMU spotlight it... 15 Sec reload in tier five cruiser has its cons...NO smoke..... funny how it had it and now it doesn't,,,,,It wouldn't be OP with smoke but whatever 
A furry Taco can be more  of a threat than it can, so its not GREAT, but its free and  different, and challenging, so I will play around with it

[ALLY]
Members
147 posts
16,134 battles

Neptune,

Glad that you got it.  Also thanks for the update on how it plays.  I am seeing conflicting reports on when you can finish the mission.  I have seen it ends March 29th and some that show April 1st.  I will need to concentrate on getting it done as quickly as possible if I want it for free (the only way that I get premium ships).  I know one person who claims if you have to work for it, it is not free (but you are not him).  

Good luck in your future battles,

C130 signing out

Sign in to follow this