You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

10km torpedo woes

14 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
3,944 posts
11,819 battles

While completing the Exeter missions requiring the use of IJN cruisers & DD's I was guilty of 'friendly" fire. I support WG's "your ordnance, your responsibility" policy. Twice I hit my target with all but one or two of the torpedoes launched and at extreme range hit a teammate. It makes it very hard not to earn pink as speedy cruisers & DD's have time to cover large distances before your torpedo sinks. On the flip side I was torpedoed by a friendly 4 times in 3 days over last weekend.  This is not the type of "balance" I am looking for.

BTW, I pass up a lot of torpedo shots because there is a chance I would hit a teammate.

I'm not advocating shorter ranges, only the stating the fact you'll hit a friendly from time to time no matter how hard you try not to.

• Boring 1

Members
142 posts
8,437 battles

Same happened to me, also twice.  First one was a way too tricky shot that was meant to go behind an allied DD which instead alas slammed in the brakes and started backing up and the second was a CA that I was certain was about to be sunk by my target, but somehow managed to survive, until my torpedoes arrived.  Also, accidental rammings must be more common now, with everyone clustering together to avoid planes.  So much more annoying when you are trying to shed a pink punishment.  

Happily, I am done with the Japanese portion.  What’s next?

[WORX]
Members
8,114 posts
16,750 battles

Not really, I only hit a friendly once all year and it was in Co-Op.

I suggest a torp trainer like the

• Ishokaze
  • V-170

Once you have the basics and you dont sink a friendly in say 20 games. Then I would move up to the FUBUKI.

I get TK more often then I someone eating my torps

I wish you luck

Members
142 posts
8,437 battles

The trouble with torps is, confidence goes to your head.  After a few needle threading torp hits, I begin to feel like I can do anything.  Add the extra campaign impetus on creating floods, in hurry up fashion, and hubris rears it’s ugly head.  

Gotta make sure that my heart ain’t writing checks that my torps can’t cash.  

[SYN]
Members
3,669 posts
20,403 battles

The Golden rule to remember with torps is that, with only 1 or 2 exceptions, no ship is faster than them.

So be in front of your team mates when you launch and you will never hit them!

[RKLES]
Members
11,310 posts
12,728 battles
42 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

While completing the Exeter missions requiring the use of IJN cruisers & DD's I was guilty of 'friendly" fire. I support WG's "your ordnance, your responsibility" policy. Twice I hit my target with all but one or two of the torpedoes launched and at extreme range hit a teammate. It makes it very hard not to earn pink as speedy cruisers & DD's have time to cover large distances before your torpedo sinks. On the flip side I was torpedoed by a friendly 4 times in 3 days over last weekend.  This is not the type of "balance" I am looking for.

BTW, I pass up a lot of torpedo shots because there is a chance I would hit a teammate.

I'm not advocating shorter ranges, only the stating the fact you'll hit a friendly from time to time no matter how hard you try not to.

If you are where your supposed to be the long range torpedoes are no problem at all, as a matter of fact we may need that 10km range extended with so many Radar ships these days. Problems mainly happen when launching torpedoes from behind allied ships and in those circumstances you can get into trouble from short ranged torpedoes even.

[SHAFT]
Members
737 posts
15,686 battles

Basic rule of thumb: Any allies within your torp aiming arc and your target, don't launch.

In the time it takes for your torps to travel to the intended target, an allied ship's situation may change causing them to have to maneuver erratically (detected by radar/planes etc.). Don't burden them with the extra stress of having to figure out the torp ping they are hearing is from behind them.

Been using that since day one and generally have had no issues with friendly fire.

[ARGSY]
Members
16,499 posts
11,322 battles
52 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

For the cruisers, at least in the lower tiers, IIRC you can select a shorter-range option for those brawling desperation shots. Of course there are definitely times when you want to fire a long range volley from your Furutaka or Aoba, but the risk you take is one you have outlined well. For the destroyers, being able to launch with a significant stealth margin is their gimmick and you just have to do your best.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
8,975 posts
7,897 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

It makes it very hard not to earn pink as speedy cruisers & DD's have time to cover large distances before your torpedo sinks.

Appearantly not hard enough for me to never be a "victim" to this.

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,716 posts
13,921 battles

The only time I hit a friendly with torps is when I mean to do it, which is of course by accident, that he happened to be in that direct path of a torpedo launched with no enemy even close to being engaged, seriously it was an accident.

• Funny 1

[H_]
Members
3,429 posts
15,219 battles

Hey OP !  At least you got to play the Missions !!!  Some of us don't have British ships........  I only have British DD's because they were part of an event.....  And, the Part 1 would take the entire portion of the event because British DD's AA ranges from 9 to 19 of the ones I own............

I run mostly IJN DD's....  A Leningrad and a Sims are the exceptions (both gifts from xmas boxes)....  Blue-on-blue torps is higher because of the event.  Radar changes make torps even harder since now, the radar out distances the torps in a few cases.  And, if radar isn't the worst part, there are aircraft everywhere.......no stealth, no place for a DD.....

Good luck !

[AFW-]
[AFW-]
Members
290 posts
12,990 battles

2 times i killed allies that werent my fault imo.

1. im in smoke next to an island in a benson or fletcher. as i fire at the red CA a friendly dd comes in between me and the isle and cuts right in front of the torpedoes.

2. shima 20km torps. i use them at a red BB getting the kill but the rest of my team flanked out the the enemey and for some reason the Montana didnt see the torps and claims his repair was on cooldown. he was at the end range of the torps

normally there should be no reason to torp friendlies but it does happen no matter how careful you try to be

[CLARE]
Members
565 posts

Pro tip:

1. Play dd coop

2. Rush forward 

3. Bow on jinx left and right

4. Launch torps from 2km

[TDRB]
Members
3,944 posts
11,819 battles
2 hours ago, ij70 said:

Pro tip:

1. Play dd coop

2. Rush forward 

3. Bow on jinx left and right

4. Launch torps from 2km

I like "close & personal" for torpedo shots. With the bot's supernatural ability to dodge torpedoes, even within 3km, missing with one or two is not uncommon. Russian 4km torps aren't a problem but the IJN & French, with 9 & 10 km range, a miss can result in a TK penalty.