You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptainKiwi_2016

Wreck of Wasp CV-7 Found!

35 comments in this topic

Members
523 posts

I belong to a Naval themed Discord Server, and one of my fellow members follows the expeditions of the late great Paul Allen's MV Petrel, who has coughed up several long lost Pacific Theater Wrecks, from USS Lexington, to Indianapolis, to Musashi, to Helena, and the Doolittle Raider herself, which was found last month IIRC. I was informed this morning that MV Petrel has located the wreck of USS Wasp CV-7, the second last USN Fleet Carrier to have been sunk during WWII. The discovery of this wreck means that all large USN Fleet Carriers sunk during WWII have finally been located! image0.jpg

Edited by CaptainKiwi_2016
  • Cool 10

[REVY]
Members
1,850 posts
10,873 battles

2elfcP7U.jpeg

Was looking for an actual picture. No offense, but 90% of the time a sonar image isn't confirmation of finding the actual ship. Was hoping for a number or name some where, but it's likely the only US CV in the area.

That leaves the CVL-23 Princeton to be located, then the lost CVEs

• Cool 1

[DOD]
[DOD]
Members
4 posts
3,870 battles

Hoping for a nat geo special in the future.  From what little ive seen the Wasp looks great

Members
523 posts
1 minute ago, tallyho68 said:

Hoping for a nat geo special in the future.  From what little ive seen the Wasp looks great

According to my buddy on Discord, the Wasp is sitting upright in 4,345 meters (14,255 feet) of water. She looks in remarkably good shape.

• Cool 1

[EQRN]
Members
1,736 posts
14,406 battles

@CaptainKiwi_2016 do you know if this group plans on commissioning any artists to paint these ships in the style of Ken Marschall and what he did for Titanic and Bismarck?  A few pictures of rusted bits of ship really don’t convey the state of the ships they’ve found.

Members
523 posts
6 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

@CaptainKiwi_2016 do you know if this group plans on commissioning any artists to paint these ships in the style of Ken Marschall and what he did for Titanic and Bismarck?  A few pictures of rusted bits of ship really don’t convey the state of the ships they’ve found.

Nothing concrete at the moment, but I'm sure they might seeing that all four have now being found. I'm thinking of even doing a pencil drawing of the four Carriers in ghost form riding the waves together with the MV Petrel in the foreground. Looking at the photos of Wasp's wreck and listening to Celtic Woman's May It Be made for a real tear-jerking moment, knowing that all four have finally been found. Petrel just needs to find Langley, and then all original Pre-War USN Carriers sunk during the war will be found, and that will be a special occasion. 

Edited by CaptainKiwi_2016

[-KAK-]
Members
494 posts
8,907 battles

What I wouldn't give to be there myself... She looks pretty good, all things considered. It's a shame none of the pre-war designs were kept afterwards.

Members
523 posts
2 minutes ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

What I wouldn't give to be there myself... She looks pretty good, all things considered. It's a shame none of the pre-war designs were kept afterwards.

They had an opportunity to do that with Enterprise and Saratoga, but in the end Enterprise fell to the cutter's torch and Saratoga met a watery fate (I still say that Enterprise should have at least become a dive reef). 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,710 posts
11,911 battles
3 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

Those pictures..... what a living hell that had to have been both above and below decks.

Are you referring to after the torpedoes hit or the ship under normal operations?

The ship was quite a compromised design and not well liked from my understanding.

Edited by HazardDrake

[PHASE]
Members
5,737 posts
18,645 battles
23 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Are you referring to after the torpedoes hit or the ship under normal operations?

The ship was quite a compromised design and not well liked from my understanding.

afterwards, after being hit how could a sailor make it to the deck or off the ship with that kind of choking smoke and fire.... Maybe they were able to get to safety before the magazines went.... but holy hell... 

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

Sort of curious as to why they're continuing to do this when Allen is... you know... deceased. I mean, no, it's not like the money just up and goes away when someone passes, but he was the driving motivation behind looking for these ships.

It's nice that carriers almost always seem to land right side up - a far cry from battleships, which are almost invariably (with a few exceptions like Bismarck) inverted by their turrets.

Members
523 posts
2 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Sort of curious as to why they're continuing to do this when Allen is... you know... deceased. I mean, no, it's not like the money just up and goes away when someone passes, but he was the driving motivation behind looking for these ships.

It's nice that carriers almost always seem to land right side up - a far cry from battleships, which are almost invariably (with a few exceptions like Bismarck) inverted by their turrets.

I think that's what Paul wanted, and his younger sister is carrying on his legacy. If it weren't for him, these expeditions wouldn't have happened. 

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
1 minute ago, CaptainKiwi_2016 said:

I think that's what Paul wanted, and his younger sister is carrying on his legacy. If it weren't for him, these expeditions wouldn't have happened. 

Not to derail the thread, but I worked at an Allen-owned museum for a summer and the work environment was... caustic. Like, severely so. Not sure how much of that culture was a trickle-down from him, but it was a little bit Orwellian that he owned practically every large museum in the Seattle area (and thus, if you quit or were fired [I was on a temp job, so it didn't matter], you had to leave town or change industries).

Back on topic, people like to blame Wasp's loss on her complete lack of torpedo defense. I'm honestly not sure even Enterprise would have survived three broadside torpedo hits in the area of her magazine and aviation fuel tanks. I mean, let's be real here: even with torpedo bulges, the things do a significant amount of damage. 

Members
523 posts
1 minute ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Not to derail the thread, but I worked at an Allen-owned museum for a summer and the work environment was... caustic. Like, severely so. Not sure how much of that culture was a trickle-down from him, but it was a little bit Orwellian that he owned practically every large museum in the Seattle area (and thus, if you quit or were fired [I was on a temp job, so it didn't matter], you had to leave town or change industries).

Back on topic, people like to blame Wasp's loss on her complete lack of torpedo defense. I'm honestly not sure even Enterprise would have survived three broadside torpedo hits in the area of her magazine and aviation fuel tanks. I mean, let's be real here: even with torpedo bulges, the things do a significant amount of damage. 

Especially the Long Lance. The Night Battles of Savo Island showed just how deadly they were to their targets. Then again, they were just as deadly to their operators too, which is well documented. 

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,642 posts
1,149 battles
5 hours ago, CaptainKiwi_2016 said:

I belong to a Naval themed Discord Server, and one of my fellow members follows the expeditions of the late great Paul Allen's MV Petrel, who has coughed up several long lost Pacific Theater Wrecks, from USS Lexington, to Indianapolis, to Musashi, to Helena, and the Doolittle Raider herself, which was found last month IIRC. I was informed this morning that MV Petrel has located the wreck of USS Wasp CV-7, the second last USN Fleet Carrier to have been sunk during WWII. The discovery of this wreck means that all large USN Fleet Carriers sunk during WWII have finally been located! image0.jpg

Great find. I look forward to seeing more images.

• Cool 1

Members
523 posts
2 minutes ago, iKami said:

Great find. I look forward to seeing more images.

As soon as I get access to more photos I'll post them. I'm waiting for my buddy to download them from the Petrel Site. 

Members
523 posts
Just now, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

What a time to be alive, huh? How many of these have been found in the past couple of years?

This year has been a success too so far! Hiei, Hornet, Wasp, and many others were found as well this year. But last year was also a major success. Helena, Northampton, Vinceness, Astoria, and many more were found. And yes, in the past couple of years, Hood, Lexington, Indianapolis, and Musashi have been found. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,902 posts
10,387 battles
7 hours ago, CaptainKiwi_2016 said:

these people are doing the Lord's work, finding all these ships

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,048 posts
4,971 battles

These people have the coolest jobs - this coming from a naval history nerd.

I actually have an ashtray from CV-7 Wasp, which I got from an antique seller.  It was used in the shipyard where it was made and probably not on the actual ship though.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,048 posts
4,971 battles
5 hours ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

If its not too personal, what did the museum deal in?  You don't have to name the actual museum.  I recall that Allen really enjoyed naval history, which is why he put a lot of his personal money to the ship and its crew.

For the second point, you do have the right idea.  Wasp was built on the lighter end than her more heavily-defended Yorktown brethren, but that torpedo spread is considered one of the most successful spreads of the entire war.  It was effective enough that it destroyed Wasp and damaged North Carolina.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
12 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

If its not too personal, what did the museum deal in?  You don't have to name the actual museum.  I recall that Allen really enjoyed naval history, which is why he put a lot of his personal money to the ship and its crew.

For the second point, you do have the right idea.  Wasp was built on the lighter end than her more heavily-defended Yorktown brethren, but that torpedo spread is considered one of the most successful spreads of the entire war.  It was effective enough that it destroyed Wasp and damaged North Carolina.

I'm indifferent about sharing. It was the Seattle EMP (Experience Music Project). They charge like $25 a head at the door, and the exhibits are pretty unimpressive. It's also a venue for concerts - I noted numerous OSHA violations when they were sound testing while patrons and staff just wandered through without ear protection. Basically, it's a big tourist trap.

But, yeah, the corporate culture was abominable - it was very clique-y, with people constantly whispering about each other and trying to sabotage coworkers, HR was exceedingly heavy-handed (there wasn't a day that went by where normal museum staff weren't getting, like, a page long memorandum, or some kind of warning against eating, etc., etc.), management was very detached, and so on. It felt to me like the kind of atmosphere you always read about at a lot of tech companies, which is why I wondered if it could be attributed to Allen, and his role as a pioneer in that industry. 

His foundation also owns two flight museums in the area, as well as a couple of other museum-ish enterprises, as I recall.

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth