Jump to content
Wows_Nightly_News

Why do people Tier X bot?

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,694 posts
8,587 battles

I'm legit curious. This isn't about potato players. I got into two recent games that obviously had tier ten bots. One was wen an allied Grosser Kurfurst kept running and shooting when an enemy was within range and just wandered aimlessly when nothing was near until it tried to cap a point we already had at the end of the game. We actually won that game so at least the Bot's damage avoidance protocols were top notch, but that's a strategy clearly aimed at getting a bot some capture xp.  The second was against an enemy midway. A player on our team pointed he had lost six out of seven matches played it it and hadn't scored any damage in any of them. It charged a cap launched no planes and was predictably destroyed. Fascinatingly after players on both teams were having a conversation on botting, late in the game the bots human got on and yelled at us for criticizing his botting. And he said he was botting BTW.

 

So my question is why do people do it at tier ten? The only reason I could imagine people bot is to slowly grind though the tech trees while they aren't playing the game. But at tier X there isn't a reason to grind anymore, in fact you're just wasting the account's funds. So Why do it? Is the program just not sophisticated enough to stop at tier X and whatever lazy person who set it to its task has forgotten to turn it off?

 

Edited by Wows_Nightly_News

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
321
[A-O]
Members
827 posts
8,896 battles
43 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

The only reason I could imagine people bot...

What am i missing please?

How do people 'bot' ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,694 posts
1,251 battles

Looking at their stats will confirm it but here they allow stats to be hidden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,694 posts
8,587 battles
2 minutes ago, freggo said:

What am i missing please?

How do people 'bot' ?

Set up a program which enters a match and plays the game for the player. It doesn't produce any good results but apparently xp is xp.

Edited by Wows_Nightly_News

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,694 posts
8,587 battles
Just now, Carrier_Ikoma said:

I'm not convinced those are bots instead of just very bad players.

The GK maybe could be an ultra potato but it looked like a program optimized for capture xp that didn't get lucky. a chimpanzee could probably have done better than the enemy midway and given that the player was able to form sentences and admitted to botting later int the match when he/she checked on thier computer, I'm going to say bot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
572
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
2,556 posts
13,985 battles
15 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

I'm going to say bot.

if you go to WoW folder, replays folder, check the reply, send to support for the "bot" to get some nice ban

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
870
[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts
12 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

The GK maybe could be an ultra potato but it looked like a program optimized for capture xp that didn't get lucky. a chimpanzee could probably have done better than the enemy midway and given that the player was able to form sentences and admitted to botting later int the match when he/she checked on thier computer, I'm going to say bot.

Ehm. I can totally see someone not familiar with the new system taking out a T10 CV and missing all their drops while getting wiped by AA. To a newbie even rocket planes aren't forgiving, your planes lock for 5 seconds before the attack, then you have a narrow 5 second window to hit a ship and the planes will hardly move for it. Torps have no lead indicator like ships do and DBs are probably the hardest to hit with of them all. Add to that the intense pressure of T10 AA. Doing minimal or even no damage if someone steps into that unprepared is not all that unlikely.

If there were bots for wows (a quick google suggests there aren't, except for the official, built in ones), they might even do better than potato players. In MMOs where bots appear these days, it's not that uncommon for them to have above average performance.

But also in those other MMOs - as here - players do tend to accuse extremely low performers of botting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
319
[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
565 posts
16,162 battles

The main reason why people use bots is to grind out full lines, then sell the account on 3rd party site for money. 

Others might use bots to grind lengthy missions, like the Yamamoto campaign or the recent Exeter mission chains.

Edited by AbyssAngkor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
321
[A-O]
Members
827 posts
8,896 battles
1 hour ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

Set up a program which enters a match and plays the game for the player. It doesn't produce any good results but apparently xp is xp.

Geez, how lazy do you have to be to use such tactics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,289
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,016 posts

A paper that studied bots in League of Legends found that the probability of having at least one bot on the team was about 6%, though at times it could go as high as 22% in one expansion while players were leveling up their characters. I would say that in WOWS this would be a much lower number because for most players good stats seem more important than having a leveled-up account. Just as there are botting programs, there are also data analysis programs that can find bots. I'm sure that WG will deal with the issue if it thinks that bots are becoming a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,355
[ARGSY]
Members
16,310 posts
11,166 battles
3 hours ago, AbyssAngkor said:

Others might use bots to grind lengthy missions, like the Yamamoto campaign or the recent Exeter mission chains.

Yamamoto is open to it because you can just grind XP and money over and over and over, and a similar thing applies to Halsey. The Exeter chains, however, require specific tasks - not just XP - and their time-limited nature means that bots are not an optimal choice there (although if it is running 24/7 and can unmask AA and pop defensive fire the minute an airplane comes within attack range, you are bound to grind out 30 eventually; it depends on how sophisticated the script is, although the less I know about how to do this, the better I feel. Perhaps WG should make it legal to do in the training room for interested programmers).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
208
[TARK]
Members
551 posts
5 hours ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

I'm legit curious. This isn't about potato players. I got into two recent games that obviously had tier ten bots. One was wen an allied Grosser Kurfurst kept running and shooting when an enemy was within range and just wandered aimlessly when nothing was near until it tried to cap a point we already had at the end of the game. We actually won that game so at least the Bot's damage avoidance protocols were top notch, but that's a strategy clearly aimed at getting a bot some capture xp.  The second was against an enemy midway. A player on our team pointed he had lost six out of seven matches played it it and hadn't scored any damage in any of them. It charged a cap launched no planes and was predictably destroyed. Fascinatingly after players on both teams were having a conversation on botting, late in the game the bots human got on and yelled at us for criticizing his botting. And he said he was botting BTW.

 

So my question is why do people do it at tier ten? The only reason I could imagine people bot is to slowly grind though the tech trees while they aren't playing the game. But at tier X there isn't a reason to grind anymore, in fact you're just wasting the account's funds. So Why do it? Is the program just not sophisticated enough to stop at tier X and whatever lazy person who set it to its task has forgotten to turn it off?

 

It took me waaaaaaay too many posts to get that you were talking about people botting and not playing PvE matches at T10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,132
[TBW]
Members
9,227 posts
16,113 battles

Maybe something came up and the player made way points while they were away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Community Department
3,186 posts
1,206 battles
7 hours ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

I'm legit curious. This isn't about potato players. I got into two recent games that obviously had tier ten bots. One was wen an allied Grosser Kurfurst kept running and shooting when an enemy was within range and just wandered aimlessly when nothing was near until it tried to cap a point we already had at the end of the game. We actually won that game so at least the Bot's damage avoidance protocols were top notch, but that's a strategy clearly aimed at getting a bot some capture xp.  The second was against an enemy midway. A player on our team pointed he had lost six out of seven matches played it it and hadn't scored any damage in any of them. It charged a cap launched no planes and was predictably destroyed. Fascinatingly after players on both teams were having a conversation on botting, late in the game the bots human got on and yelled at us for criticizing his botting. And he said he was botting BTW.

So my question is why do people do it at tier ten? The only reason I could imagine people bot is to slowly grind though the tech trees while they aren't playing the game. But at tier X there isn't a reason to grind anymore, in fact you're just wasting the account's funds. So Why do it? Is the program just not sophisticated enough to stop at tier X and whatever lazy person who set it to its task has forgotten to turn it off?

5 hours ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

if you go to WoW folder, replays folder, check the reply, send to support for the "bot" to get some nice ban

Please if you have any evidence about bot programs which may be used in the game - provide this information via PM to me or anybody from our Community Department. Or you may send it via ticket to Support. At the moment there is no any proven case of bot programs usage in our project. 
Please feel free to contact us via PM on this topic. Because such open discussions of violative behavior are not supported by our Forum Guidelines.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×