You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Desmios

The T9/10 AA Ship Guide

11 comments in this topic

Members
567 posts
2,921 battles

Hello all,

For those who are more resourceful and knowledgeable than I, where can I find a list of the T9/10 ships with good to great AA, so that I can avoid them in my midway?  I would like to put together a master of list of ships to avoid -- and a list of ships to hit.

Does anyone know where I can find this, or know of ships with exceptional AA to get the thread started?  On the flip side, anyone know any BBs/cruisers with poor AA?  There are so many ships in the game now, I just don't know enough.

Thanks all!

Great AA 
Tier 10

• Worcester
  • Minotaur
  • Midway
  • Hakuryu
  • Grazovoi

Tier 9

• Seattle
  • Kidd

Good AA
Tier 10

• Des Moines*
  • Salem
  • Hindenburg
  • Montana
  • Republic
  • Gearing

Tier 9

• Neptune
  • Fletcher

Poor AA [Hunter's Delight]
Tier 10

• Place Holder

Tier 9

• Place Holder

note: ships denoted with a * can be up-tiered in AA when specialized                                                                                                                                            thanks to: snargfargle, & gavroche_ for their help

Edited by Desmios
updates

Members
2,302 posts
10,644 battles
44 minutes ago, Desmios said:

*SNIP*

My ranking:

"Great AA" = Difficult getting strike off

Try to avoid these unless absolutely necessary.

E.g. In a Midway, a giant wall of flak spawns in front of you. As your planes evaporate, a wooster briefly renders on your screen before fading away...

Spoiler
  • Wooster
  • Mino
  • Hakuryu
  • Midway
  • Seattle (when def AA)

"Good AA" = Difficult getting multiple strikes in

Des Moines, French BBs, some other high tier cruisers. Most ships from the level below this can actually reach up to here if they go full AA spec (all the modules, including the 3,000,000 credit one), but people rarely are dumb enough to invest that much into AA.

It's okay to do a fly-by and release some rockets, but if you're thinking about loitering around for a second strike, it's generally not worth it.

E.g. In a Midway, you can rocket a Des Moines if you speedboost straight through the flak. You're going to do ~10k damage and lose the three planes doing the strike, but the rest of the squad will survive in the orange. However, if you turn around and try again, you're going to lose the remaining 6 planes, probably while not even doing any more damage.

Spoiler
  • BBs:
    • Montana
    • Republic / Bourgogne / Jean Bart
  • CA/CLs
    • Des Moines / Salem (esp. when def AA)
    • Hindenburg (when def AA)
    • Buffalo (when def AA)
    • Neptune

I would further break it down into:

"Decent AA" = You can do multiple strikes, but you're probably going to lose planes.

All other tier IX -X Battleships, most tier IX-X cruisers

You have to be efficient about it. You can still deal damage, but no loitering.

E.g. In a Midway you slam a Zao for 30,000 damage with your HE bombs. You lose 8 planes and you're sad, but not as sad as the Zao.

Spoiler
  • BBs
    • Iowa/Missouri
    • G. Kurfurst + FDG
    • Conqueror + Lion
    • Yamato
  • CA/CL
    • Donskoi
    • Hindenburg
    • Stalingrad
    • Buffalo
    • Roon
    • Ibuki
    • Henri + Saint Louis
  • DDs
    • Grozovoi
    • Gearing + Fletcher (when def AA)

"Trash AA"  = Unless you somehow connect the dots and manage to hit all the flak clouds, you're not going to have any difficulty.

Kronsdadt, Musashi, most tier VIII ships, most DDs

If you possess even a cursory knowledge of how to dodge flak you're going to be functionally immune to this AA.

E.g. In a Midway you get all four drops off with your HE bombers on a lone Kronsdadt, dealing 68 thousand damage without losing a single plane. As the Kronsdadt burns down to 200hp a yamato 18km away steals your kill. Sad face.

Spoiler
  • BBs
    • Musashi
  • CA/CLs
    • Kronsdadt
  • DDs
    • Literally everything, expect for grozovois and gearing + flether when they have def AA active
  • Idiots who have their AA off

Edited by Gavroche_

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

It might be easier to list what ships don't have deadly AA.

One's that do, let's see... off the top of my head, Grozovoi, Kidd, Khaba, Wooster, Mino, Henri IV, Seattle, Neptune, Alaska, Zao....

Also worth noting the AA characteristics can vary a bit depending on the effort of the captain. For example, Mino baseline is super deadly even with no AA build, no sector management, etc etc. Des Moines under the same circumstances is not that deadly, but can wipe a squadron even faster than a mino if it is AA build + sector managed.

Members
567 posts
2,921 battles
2 minutes ago, Gavroche_ said:

awesome start! thanks so much for your help

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,016 posts
9 minutes ago, Desmios said:

Great AA [avoid at all costs]
Tier 10

• Worcester
  • Mino
  • Midway
  • Hakuryu
  • Grozovoi

Tier 9

• Seattle
  • Kidd

Good AA [avoid when possible]

Tier 10

• Des Moines
  • Salem
  • Hindenburg
  • Gearing
  • Montana
  • Republic

Tier 9

• Neptune
  • Fletcher

Edited by Snargfargle

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,785 posts
9,840 battles

She's not too common, but don't forget to toss Jean Bart into whatever category Republique is in.  Her AA is near identical, only losing out in 2% accuracy and 1 flak puff in the med/long auras.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,293 posts
10,943 battles

Alaska has fairly good AA even without any AA talents and just dfaa. I'd imagine any ijn cruisers until zao would at best fit into the good category.

Members
3,089 posts
12,080 battles

@Desmios AA that T10 ship may have can be somewhat misleading.  For example even such relatively weak AA ships as Moskva and Zao (that did not even make it to your lists) can put up quite murderous AA, provided they set up all their modules and captain skills into full AA configuration plus manage their defensive fire and sectors properly.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

neptune is great aa for t9 and before 8.0 was better then mino dont feel like downgrading to find out how it is now but probably still good.