Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Spiderlife77

Torpedo aiming alert

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
27 posts
17,389 battles

Do I understand it right that now there’s no warning when a DD is aiming her torps to your ship?

Maybe I’m wrong, but before, in 7.12 when a DD was aiming by torp's launcher to your ship and your captain had the skill: “Priority Target” then you saw a warning (yellow circle with a number inside). 

For example, if you’d run a BBs and DD just spotted you, then you’d got a warning “detected”, but if she started aiming at your ship by torps/guns (and your captain had “Priority Target” skill), then you got “Priority Target” warning - yellow circle with number 1 inside.

Was this option removed? 

Edited by Spiderlife77
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,056 posts
7,124 battles

Priority Target never indicated when someone was locked on to you with torpedoes selected. It's always been with main battery guns only. It even states this in the skills description.

 

What people are generally talking about, is the jump from 0-1-0 (or the +1, then -1 to whatever number of ships PT is reporting as locked onto you). This is because a DD targets you with guns selected, then switches to torps, and possibly back to guns again after firing the torpedoes.

Good torpedo boat captains won't switch to their guns when making torpedo runs on ships, as to not potentially alert the target to their presence and the threat of their inbound torpedo spread. Skilled DD players will also switch between guns and torps on a potential target without firing torpedoes to gauge if the target is even using PT.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,652
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,454 posts

Good torpedo boat players will unlock guns so that players won't know that they are targeted. If your priority target changes quickly,  you can bet that a DD is stalking you. If the PT number blips down then back up, start turning as torps might be on the way.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
27 posts
17,389 battles
2 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Priority Target never indicated when someone was locked on to you with torpedoes selected. It's always been with main battery guns only. It even states this in the skills description.

 

I had a lot of situations when playing BB or CA I was alone against a DD. Once again, maybe I'm wrong but up to 8.0 I always got a warning as a DD started aiming toprs to my ship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,488
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
25,652 posts
13,997 battles
1 minute ago, Spiderlife77 said:

I had a lot of situations when playing BB or CA I was alone against a DD. Once again, maybe I'm wrong but up to 8.0 I always got a warning as a DD started aiming toprs to my ship

They were looking at you with guns selected.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
27 posts
17,389 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I think it's still there but good torpedo boat players will lock target only momentarily to see where to fire then unlock it so that players won't know that they are targeted. If your priority target goes up and then quickly down a number, you can bet that a DD is stalking you.

I noticed that too - a good DD's player always does it very quickly and doesn't aim his DD's guns after that, but I always got a warning up to the last updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
62 posts
12,326 battles

A good DD player (I play torpedoboats a LOT) will often just leave the torp launchers focused on you or not go to guns. If I want to go to guns, I'll usually put the torp indicators on another ship, and then unlock on him. If I really want to be dirty, and don't have a line on you where I can hit torps (Say you'll go behind an island), I've been known to intentionally blip the indicator, which sometimes causes the enemy to make a turn.... which now puts them in a path where I can torp them. That's a little bit of trickery though, so YMMV if you try it

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,056 posts
7,124 battles
6 minutes ago, Spiderlife77 said:

I had a lot of situations when playing BB or CA I was alone against a DD. Once again, maybe I'm wrong but up to 8.0 I always got a warning as a DD started aiming toprs to my ship

This is copied straight from the wiki page: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

      Description Effect
icon_PriorityTarget_dark.png

Priority Target

1 The detection indicator displays the number of opponents that are currently aiming at your ship or squadron.

For a ship, the number of opponents aiming at the ship with main battery guns.

For a carrier squadron, the number of ships firing their AA guns at it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,689 posts
21,936 battles
4 minutes ago, Spiderlife77 said:

I noticed that too - a good DD's player always does it very quickly and doesn't aim his DD's guns after that, but I always got a warning up to the last updates.

As Brushwolf already stated there has never been a warning for any ship aiming torpedoes at you. You are confusing it with the DD's guns.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
27 posts
17,389 battles
Just now, GhostSwordsman said:

This is copied straight from the wiki page: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

      Description Effect
icon_PriorityTarget_dark.png

Priority Target

1 The detection indicator displays the number of opponents that are currently aiming at your ship or squadron.

For a ship, the number of opponents aiming at the ship with main battery guns.

For a carrier squadron, the number of ships firing their AA guns at it.

Thank you, I saw this before posting this topic. The problem is that I can't remember how this description looked like before the last updates...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
750
[USMC_]
Members
1,660 posts
Just now, Spiderlife77 said:

Thank you, I saw this before posting this topic. The problem is that I can't remember how this description looked like before the last updates...

It hasn't changed.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,254 posts
4,322 battles
1 hour ago, Spiderlife77 said:

Thank you, everybody, for your help. I think the issue is solved. Once again - thank you :fish_glass:

An extra dirty trick is if your say in a long ranged ship like a BB. 

Target a ship wait a few seconds then deselect them. Then wait a few seconds and retarget them. You would be surprised the number of times you can provoke an ill-advised turn.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
27 posts
17,389 battles
9 hours ago, StoneRhino said:

An extra dirty trick is if your say in a long ranged ship like a BB. 

Target a ship wait a few seconds then deselect them. Then wait a few seconds and retarget them. You would be surprised the number of times you can provoke an ill-advised turn. 

Thank you! You're really bad... but smart & dangerous :cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×