Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

New Mexico, no torp launchers?

22 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
666 posts
2,367 battles

Just wondering why this ships dual 533mm torp launchers are not included? Despite multiple refits they were not removed. I even saw a picture of the ship getting rearmed at Pearl Harbour in late 1943 with torpedoes. 

Its horrendously slow turrets and comically bad secondaries make it extremely vulnerable at mid range, the torps might help. 

• Boring 2

[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,835 posts
4,064 battles

Fixed torpedo tubes are not modeled on any ship, or so they say.

[DIRTY]
Members
10 posts
6,060 battles

Obviously WG has ability to control firing angles. Why can't they just limit them to something like 5 or 10 degrees.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,166 posts
3,438 battles

They've stated that fixed torps aren't going to be modeled, no real reason to. Mutsu is the only ship with something like them, they're narrow arc broadside launchers.

And the NM doesn't need torps. Good armor, a lot of guns, and the secondaries aren't the worst. Never had a problem brawling in the NM or the AZ.

• Cool 2

[PT]
Members
666 posts
2,367 battles

Aw but I like some historical accuracy... 

I spose it's the same with the Fletcher, it has 2 twin 40mm and 4 20mm in the game, in real life it had 10 40s and up to 14 20"mm AA guns making it a lethal AA platform. 

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
26,978 posts
14,815 battles

New York, no torp launchers

Nelson, no torp launchers 

Iron Duke, no torp launchers 

Orion, no torp launchers

Wyoming, no torp launchers

Torp launchers, no Kitakami

• Funny 3

[SVF]
Members
1,353 posts
1,821 battles
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

I spose it's the same with the Fletcher, it has 2 twin 40mm and 4 20mm in the game, in real life it had 10 40s and up to 14 20"mm AA guns making it a lethal AA platform. 

Well, the stock Fletcher has the 2x2 540mm and 4x1 20mm setup, yes.  The B Hull has 5x2 40mm and 7x1 20mm guns, closer to the IRL loadout you describe.

[WOLF8]
Members
6,069 posts
5,589 battles
57 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

They've stated that fixed torps aren't going to be modeled, no real reason to. Mutsu is the only ship with something like them, they're narrow arc broadside launchers.

I feel like this fact actually makes Mutsu very special, even if she only gets dinky little torpedoes.

But hey, torpedoes are torpedoes, right? They still can pack some punch, and even travel to 7km! Plus, being a single launcher means it reloads even faster than her main guns, lol.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, rather saying I really like Mutsu. She's actually a little darling of a ship for me, lel. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Blorgh2017

Supertester
13 posts
6,157 battles

Tbh if WG set the precedent by adding submerged torpedo tubes on the New Mexico, they would face pressure to add them to all historical ships. While having one torp launcher a side on the New Mexico would be cool and all, giving ships like the HMS Dreadnought five torpedoes tubes would kinda break the game. 

Members
1,691 posts
8,561 battles
1 hour ago, TerryDrive said:

Obviously WG has ability to control firing angles. Why can't they just limit them to something like 5 or 10 degrees.

Balance reasons aside, one of the reasons they don't do submerged torps is that a lot of refits removed them due to their questionable utility and the detrimental effect on the ships torpedo defenses. Players would be complaining about losing a weapon for some more AA and HP.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,818 posts
4,361 battles
32 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

New York, no torp launchers

Nelson, no torp launchers 

Iron Duke, no torp launchers 

Orion, no torp launchers

Wyoming, no torp launchers

Torp launchers, no Kitakami

Missing Hood; she even has the visible above-water torpedo tube ports; but WG also didn't include them, IIRC despite still having at least 2 functional ones by the time of sinking.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

How about a Bogatyr or Aurora with that forward-launching fixed torpedo tube?  xD  Would be hilarious.

[SYN]
Members
5,472 posts
12,704 battles
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

Just wondering why this ships dual 533mm torp launchers are not included? Despite multiple refits they were not removed. I even saw a picture of the ship getting rearmed at Pearl Harbour in late 1943 with torpedoes. 

Its horrendously slow turrets and comically bad secondaries make it extremely vulnerable at mid range, the torps might help. 

There are a substantial number of ships in the game which, though they had fixed torpedo tubes in reality, do not have them in the game, not just the New Mexico.  This is especially true for the majority of low tier ships, cruisers and battleships alike.  Not including them is likely a balance thing, since having just about every ship on both teams in low tier matches being armed with torpedoes would not turn out well...

Besides, a single-shot torpedo fired from a surface ship's fixed tube will, at best, offer only a marginal solution for the ship firing it.  Guns will always be your better choice, by far.  Well-aimed multi-torpedo spreads from destroyers, even in an ideal situations except at point-blank ranges, are already a very low probability-of-hit weapon to begin with.  The fixed, single shot launchers in the New Mex or any other ship would serve only as a placebo, with virtually no chance of hitting anything, and doing minimal damage if it did.

If you're having issues with the NM's guns and turrets, fixed single-shot torps aren't going to improve your situation.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 2

[PT]
Members
666 posts
2,367 battles
31 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Scharnhorst torps....love em in close.  Potent.

Surprised to always see so many higher tier games people forget those things have torps, they let it get close then they get excited when it suddenly shows its broadside at close range this is usually followed by blind panic.. Same with the derpitz. 

Members
3,208 posts
6,424 battles
1 hour ago, DerKrampus said:

How about a Bogatyr or Aurora with that forward-launching fixed torpedo tube?  xD  Would be hilarious.

yeah and let me add rear fixed below underwater single launchers (on each side) on those: Pictured: Aurora. Right rear

aurora-reartorps.JPG

Edited by dionkraft
  • Cool 1

Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
2 hours ago, dmckay said:

Scharnhorst torps....love em in close.  Potent.

Scharnhorst feels more like a battlecruiser though... its like a hindy found its way to t7, lost some torp tubes, and the main gunners are all drunk and slow...

[_-_]
Members
2,933 posts
8,088 battles
4 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Aw but I like some historical accuracy...

And you're looking for it in WOWS?:Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLFG]
Members
7,785 posts
5,816 battles
7 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Did the New Mexico briefly have working torps? 

ww-nm.png.141916f31f35a50934551ce7398c45f9.png

Every ship has at least one torpedo.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
On 3/13/2019 at 11:55 PM, LunchCutter said:

Surprised to always see so many higher tier games people forget those things have torps, they let it get close then they get excited when it suddenly shows its broadside at close range this is usually followed by blind panic.. Same with the derpitz. 

Right.  Many seem not to know Scharn has torps. She also has BB armor which is very good.  She can get in close and then WHAM put 3 torps in the side of an enemy BB.  I love the Scharn. FUN ship.

Sign in to follow this