You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ALROCHA

For the new CV players part 2

21 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles

Part 1 was after the extreme CV nerf where ships were stealthy firing at your planes, dealing tons of damage without a chance of retaliating, it was my "rage" post where I decided to quit the game but left with tips for anyone else trying out the CVs.

And now, to Part 2, after recovering the losses from the nerfs and achieving my first CV commander patch with T8 CVs only (the first one is 71k average), I come here to deliver the tips after the recent updates.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.004d6d9038b1510c4f068c1fb99233c5.png

Yes, the screenshot is big because I love that bunny emblem and I'd like everyone to see it, imagine getting killed and that fluffy smug bastard appearing on your screen. PRICELESS.

The Ship: As always, try to position yourself as close to your targets as possible while remaining safe, it'll reduce flight time and increase your DPS, there were matches where I stood literally at 10km of enemy ships, islands are covers for cruisers and DDs so why not for yourself?

The commander: Get yourself everything that buffs your planes in this order: Survivability > Speed > Aiming/Damage potential > Stealth. Stealth is useless for planes, even IJN ones, you might have heard about the "stealth torping" with Haku's planes but believe me, you're better off with the reduce to aiming time or increase in speed.

Fighter planes: They're good and a problem, they're now acting really fast so sometimes you manage to trap the enemy player into flying through it and losing all their planes but they're also a problem since enemy ships also have them, one way to "avoid" big losses is to summon your fighter planes when approaching the enemy ship, this way their fighters will target your fighters and will ascend to pre 0.8.0 heaven, where they'll dogfight till eternity like in a certain game of the same genre.

REMEMBER THOUGH, IT'S HARD, sometimes you'll fail miserably and lose both your attackers and your fighters, I like to use it mostly with TB since you can heal back what you lose and manage to stall for your fighters to hit theirs.

Attacker Planes: Those are your best friends, they'll destroy more AA than USN HE DBs, don't ask me why, you can still use them on DDs but right now you're better off aiming at bigger ships and dealing 6k~12k damage instead of pulling your hair trying to target those sneaky bastards.

USN Attackers: I like to use the little swarm rockets, I find it better against AA and with a higher probability of causing damage, if you get a broadside cruiser you're capable of destroying all their small AA on that side.

IJN Attackers: Bow-on, stern-on, broadside, it doesn't matter, just remeber that you need to aim for the center reticle on the enemy waterline, this way you'll get more hits than aiming at the enemy superstructure (remember to lead).

Torpedo Planes: After the buffs, those are actually useful, avoid using the repair at the start of your run, use it after you fly past your target, this way you'll get out of range with the speed boost from adrenaline rush and heal back to 100% after you leave their AA range, against isolated targets you make a turn and do another attack run, only use the repair when your planes are at 60%, avoid using it before dropping the payload since the damaged plane might fly back to safety and leave you with a healthy "squad".

IJN Torp: Try to always target the stern, but it's difficult, so aim for the bow, this way if you miss the bow you might still hit amidships, the bow and stern are the best to cause flooding and incapacitate modules.

USN Torps: Even with upgrade, those torps are slow, the good thing is you drop 3 with lex so it's really hard to miss the weakpoints in a ship, they're also very durable, making the healing VERY effective (I managed to do 3 drops with those against a Yamato).

Dive Bombers: Surge bombing is still usable but honestly, I've decided to drop this strategy after the increase of torpedo planes survivability, if you lose some planes, you'll launch another wave and recover them in no time....just...don't make suicide runs.

IJN DBs: Those are able to move the reticle A LOT at the end of the run, making it easier to drop on your targets, I like to aim at the bow since if it doesn't citadel the enemy, it'll probably take down a main gun. From my experience, it's always better to drop those bombs at the last 2~3 seconds, in the past I used to hit a lot of citadels on cruisers and CVs while dropping at max altitude, but those are less accurate so I just go for the point blank drop on cruisers and "almost point blank" on BBs and CVs.

USN DBs: Those aren't able to move the reticle by A LOT, but if you drop right at the end of the attack run, it's 100% granted that you'll score 6 hits in almost ANY target, even if going for the broadside, point blank drops are INSANE with those guys and will certainly destroy unaware DDs...just make sure to lower the effect sounds since point blank drops are also INSANE on your ears.

Against the enemy CV: If you have 3 attack runs with...let's say...your attacker planes, attack your first target and if you move too far or the next attack is too difficult, go after the enemy CV and say a hello, their plane consumable with 10min CD will be popped, attack him and let their fighter chase you, they'll spend the rest of the game praying for their fighter consumable to get back...and hey, rockets on CVs does almost full damage, if you manage to set them on fire and you're using graf zepp you'll probably be able to flood them with german's engines.

If you have any other question about CVs or how to counter them, I'll do my best to answer them in this topic.

And yeah, I'd love to have the premium CVs and spread tips for those that are absolutely mad and want refunds, I believe that, after the recent patch, premium ships are able to do good again but their playstyle is SO different from what CVs used to be that it's hard to adapt.

Members
854 posts
14,046 battles

I find it funny that DDs and CV players hates CVs now.

CVs hate the low damage output.

DDs hate the rapid map scouting.

CAs and BBs don't seem to think they are much of a threat.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,209 posts
16,540 battles
11 minutes ago, Prothall said:

CAs and BBs don't seem to think they are much of a threat.

That is until you get down to the last 5 or 6 ships per side in a double CV game.

Then you get to play a tedious neverending game of HERE COMES THE AEROPLANE!

• Cool 1

Members
854 posts
14,046 battles
1 minute ago, grumpymunky said:

That is until you get down to the last 5 or 6 ships per side in a double CV game.

Then you get to play a tedious neverending game of HERE COMES THE AEROPLANE!

I agree. They need to limit them to one. Give ships a chance to hide once in a while.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,645 posts
12,801 battles
2 hours ago, ALROCHA said:

Part 1 was after the extreme CV nerf where ships were stealthy firing at your planes, dealing tons of damage without a chance of retaliating, it was my "rage" post where I decided to quit the game but left with tips for anyone else trying out the CVs.

And now, to Part 2, after recovering the losses from the nerfs and achieving my first CV commander patch with T8 CVs only (the first one is 71k average), I come here to deliver the tips after the recent updates.

Hide contents

Yes, the screenshot is big because I love that bunny emblem and I'd like everyone to see it, imagine getting killed and that fluffy smug bastard appearing on your screen. PRICELESS.

The Ship: As always, try to position yourself as close to your targets as possible while remaining safe, it'll reduce flight time and increase your DPS, there were matches where I stood literally at 10km of enemy ships, islands are covers for cruisers and DDs so why not for yourself?

The commander: Get yourself everything that buffs your planes in this order: Survivability > Speed > Aiming/Damage potential > Stealth. Stealth is useless for planes, even IJN ones, you might have heard about the "stealth torping" with Haku's planes but believe me, you're better off with the reduce to aiming time or increase in speed.

Fighter planes: They're good and a problem, they're now acting really fast so sometimes you manage to trap the enemy player into flying through it and losing all their planes but they're also a problem since enemy ships also have them, one way to "avoid" big losses is to summon your fighter planes when approaching the enemy ship, this way their fighters will target your fighters and will ascend to pre 0.8.0 heaven, where they'll dogfight till eternity like in a certain game of the same genre.

REMEMBER THOUGH, IT'S HARD, sometimes you'll fail miserably and lose both your attackers and your fighters, I like to use it mostly with TB since you can heal back what you lose and manage to stall for your fighters to hit theirs.

Attacker Planes: Those are your best friends, they'll destroy more AA than USN HE DBs, don't ask me why, you can still use them on DDs but right now you're better off aiming at bigger ships and dealing 6k~12k damage instead of pulling your hair trying to target those sneaky bastards.

USN Attackers: I like to use the little swarm rockets, I find it better against AA and with a higher probability of causing damage, if you get a broadside cruiser you're capable of destroying all their small AA on that side.

IJN Attackers: Bow-on, stern-on, broadside, it doesn't matter, just remeber that you need to aim for the center reticle on the enemy waterline, this way you'll get more hits than aiming at the enemy superstructure (remember to lead).

Torpedo Planes: After the buffs, those are actually useful, avoid using the repair at the start of your run, use it after you fly past your target, this way you'll get out of range with the speed boost from adrenaline rush and heal back to 100% after you leave their AA range, against isolated targets you make a turn and do another attack run, only use the repair when your planes are at 60%, avoid using it before dropping the payload since the damaged plane might fly back to safety and leave you with a healthy "squad".

IJN Torp: Try to always target the stern, but it's difficult, so aim for the bow, this way if you miss the bow you might still hit amidships, the bow and stern are the best to cause flooding and incapacitate modules.

USN Torps: Even with upgrade, those torps are slow, the good thing is you drop 3 with lex so it's really hard to miss the weakpoints in a ship, they're also very durable, making the healing VERY effective (I managed to do 3 drops with those against a Yamato).

Dive Bombers: Surge bombing is still usable but honestly, I've decided to drop this strategy after the increase of torpedo planes survivability, if you lose some planes, you'll launch another wave and recover them in no time....just...don't make suicide runs.

IJN DBs: Those are able to move the reticle A LOT at the end of the run, making it easier to drop on your targets, I like to aim at the bow since if it doesn't citadel the enemy, it'll probably take down a main gun. From my experience, it's always better to drop those bombs at the last 2~3 seconds, in the past I used to hit a lot of citadels on cruisers and CVs while dropping at max altitude, but those are less accurate so I just go for the point blank drop on cruisers and "almost point blank" on BBs and CVs.

USN DBs: Those aren't able to move the reticle by A LOT, but if you drop right at the end of the attack run, it's 100% granted that you'll score 6 hits in almost ANY target, even if going for the broadside, point blank drops are INSANE with those guys and will certainly destroy unaware DDs...just make sure to lower the effect sounds since point blank drops are also INSANE on your ears.

Against the enemy CV: If you have 3 attack runs with...let's say...your attacker planes, attack your first target and if you move too far or the next attack is too difficult, go after the enemy CV and say a hello, their plane consumable with 10min CD will be popped, attack him and let their fighter chase you, they'll spend the rest of the game praying for their fighter consumable to get back...and hey, rockets on CVs does almost full damage, if you manage to set them on fire and you're using graf zepp you'll probably be able to flood them with german's engines.

If you have any other question about CVs or how to counter them, I'll do my best to answer them in this topic.

And yeah, I'd love to have the premium CVs and spread tips for those that are absolutely mad and want refunds, I believe that, after the recent patch, premium ships are able to do good again but their playstyle is SO different from what CVs used to be that it's hard to adapt.

Thanks for the tips. Trying to pick up tips here and there. Used to LOVE CV play, struggling with low damage games now.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[SFOR]
Members
996 posts
7,846 battles
2 hours ago, ALROCHA said:

Hide contents

The commander: Get yourself everything that buffs your planes in this order: Survivability > Speed > Aiming/Damage potential > Stealth. Stealth is useless for planes, even IJN ones, you might have heard about the "stealth torping" with Haku's planes but believe me, you're better off with the reduce to aiming time or increase in speed. Wrong. CE is very important for ijn captains for one simple reason. The torpedo squadrons are the only squadrons to have 7.5km detectabilty , so with stealth build you can a) doing stealth attacks or b) doing quick attacks leaving little time for the enemy to react. Also i want to add because how bad is the CE in some carriers you will want CE in the Lexi & Midway and the Hak. Also using SS in the ijn carriers is a 4pt waste. To get 5% better aiming time in the torps is nothing.

Fighter planes: They're good and a problem, they're now acting really fast so sometimes you manage to trap the enemy player into flying through it and losing all their planes but they're also a problem since enemy ships also have them, one way to "avoid" big losses is to summon your fighter planes when approaching the enemy ship, this way their fighters will target your fighters and will ascend to pre 0.8.0 heaven, where they'll dogfight till eternity like in a certain game of the same genre. I don't agree. That is the best way to lose your fighters for nothing, instead use your fighters to keep the BBs & DDs spotted for your team. About the enemy fighters they make almost no difference. I use the "reverse-F key method" and use 2 waves to make 1 attack. If there are and planes alive after dropping the payload i don't care i immediately press F. Doens't matter because they are going to die anyway.

Attacker Planes: Those are your best friends, they'll destroy more AA than USN HE DBs, don't ask me why, you can still use them on DDs but right now you're better off aiming at bigger ships and dealing 6k~12k damage instead of pulling your hair trying to target those sneaky bastards. Wrong again. the only attacker planes i can recommend players to use are the ones at T8 & T10 with the tiny tim rockets. The others attacker planes they are almost useless.

IJN Attackers: Bow-on, stern-on, broadside, it doesn't matter, just remeber that you need to aim for the center reticle on the enemy waterline, this way you'll get more hits than aiming at the enemy superstructure (remember to lead). If you are using attacker planes in the ijn carriers you are doing it wrong. Same story as the british.

IJN Torp: Try to always target the stern, but it's difficult, so aim for the bow, this way if you miss the bow you might still hit amidships, the bow and stern are the best to cause flooding and incapacitate modules. I have no idea how it is possible for you to say something like that. you always target the broadside .

IJN DBs: Those are able to move the reticle A LOT at the end of the run, making it easier to drop on your targets, I like to aim at the bow since if it doesn't citadel the enemy, it'll probably take down a main gun. From my experience, it's always better to drop those bombs at the last 2~3 seconds, in the past I used to hit a lot of citadels on cruisers and CVs while dropping at max altitude, but those are less accurate so I just go for the point blank drop on cruisers and "almost point blank" on BBs and CVs. Aim the bow are you joking? Always aim the middle to get those citadels hits.

Against the enemy CV: If you have 3 attack runs with...let's say...your attacker planes, attack your first target and if you move too far or the next attack is too difficult, go after the enemy CV and say a hello, their plane consumable with 10min CD will be popped, attack him and let their fighter chase you, they'll spend the rest of the game praying for their fighter consumable to get back...and hey, rockets on CVs does almost full damage, if you manage to set them on fire and you're using graf zepp you'll probably be able to flood them with german's engines. Why are you wasting time on that? it is very simple what you need to do. You only need two waves for one attack. You don't care about the planes after they drop the payload in this situations unless you know there is a chance for a second drop, which is almost impossible if there are enemy fighters or if you are attacking an american carrier. You don't waste time. You press F immediately after the drop and pick another squadron. You drop the first cargo in the water and attack without wasting time. You will only use the full squadron if you see a target without support and of course i am not talking about carriers they are deadly.

Edited by _no_one_

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles
Just now, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Thanks for the tips. Trying to puck up tips here and there. Used to LOVE CV play, struggling with low damage games now.

It's hard to deal tons of damage nowadays but I'm pretty sure if someone uses the flags for flooding/fire and watch out the momment an enemy uses DCP, he'll be able to deliver tons of damage.

With IJN, my top dmg matches are against KM and UK BBs where it's easy to hit 2~3 citadels and torpedoes.

With USN it's just DB all the way.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,645 posts
12,801 battles
3 minutes ago, ALROCHA said:

It's hard to deal tons of damage nowadays but I'm pretty sure if someone uses the flags for flooding/fire and watch out the momment an enemy uses DCP, he'll be able to deliver tons of damage.

With IJN, my top dmg matches are against KM and UK BBs where it's easy to hit 2~3 citadels and torpedoes.

With USN it's just DB all the way.

Thanks! I am ready to shed the feeling of playing CV's with "Hope I have a good enough team to carry me while I learn"

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles

@_no_one_

I'd be able to answer better if you didn't answer inside the quote but...let's go.

1- Stealth torping is for T10 IJN only, for the T8 planes the 10% reduction is useless. (And I might say, stealth torping doesn't work in every map and you might miss more than hit if you somehow get spotted in that little amount of time you have to pull out your planes)

2- DDs destroy fighter planes in 20s, they've been nerfed in a way any ship's AA can take them down, and if you just sacrifice an entire TB squad for 1 drop only instead of many is up to you, but after the update they're the "tankiest" of the planes out there, able to do many attack runs on a single target under heavy AA fire. Also, the fighter strategy to spot BBs work when they're isolated, and when they're isolated they're no treat to your team nor your team can damage them (most of the times).

3- Attacker planes with tiny tim may do damage (when you manage to hit it all the time) while with the other rocket you're sure to hit, cripple and destroy enemy AA.

4- IJN attacker planes does the most damage to targets and are by far the better option to target DDs and some cruisers, are you saying that you don't use 1 of the 3 types of planes offered? In UK case I see that the bombers and TBs are so good and durable that you won't be needing the rockets...

5- You ALWAYS target broadside but you aim to hit the bow and stern, those places are the ones causing floods and modules damage.

6- Aiming at the bow gives space to correct mistakes, and as I said, sometimes it's better to disable a turret for a teammate to finish it off than trying to do +1 citadel...also, you can citadel on the turrets...you know that, right?

7- Neutralizing enemy CV is a good strategy, and since I don't have Graf Zeppelin I can't give more accurate intel but what I can say is, CVs are the most vulnerable ships to airplanes, and if you can get rid of the 10 minutes fighters you're almost set for a crushing victory, as I said, only go for the CV if your planes are weak and closer to it with no other targets around.

[SFOR]
Members
996 posts
7,846 battles
1 minute ago, ALROCHA said:

@_no_one_

I'd be able to answer better if you didn't answer inside the quote but...let's go.

1- Stealth torping is for T10 IJN only, for the T8 planes the 10% reduction is useless.

Wrong. The idea is to make quick attacks leaving little time to react. 

2- DDs destroy fighter planes in 20s, they've been nerfed in a way any ship's AA can take them down, and if you just sacrifice an entire TB squad for 1 drop only instead of many is up to you, but after the update they're the "tankiest" of the planes out there, able to do many attack runs on a single target under heavy AA fire. Also, the fighter strategy to spot BBs work when they're isolated, and when they're isolated they're no treat to your team nor your team can damage them (most of the times). Ok you didn't understand anything i told you. I am going to explain again. You DON'T USE FULL SQUADRONS unless you are attacking a target without support and without crazy AA. And you don't waste your fighters. You use them: a) to help your teammates  b) to spot the enemies C) in caps to help your dds and make the enemy dds turn around.

3- Attacker planes with tiny tim may do damage (when you manage to hit it all the time) while with the other rocket you're sure to hit, cripple and destroy enemy AA.

May do damage? You have no idea what are you talking about. Tiny tim rockets are amazing to scout and attack BBs from the bow or stern. In a good drop you can make around 8K damage. In one drop only.

4- IJN attacker planes does the most damage to targets and are by far the better option to target DDs and some cruisers, are you saying that you don't use 1 of the 3 types of planes offered? In UK case I see that the bombers and TBs are so good and durable that you won't be needing the rockets...Ok i already see you have no idea what you are talking about. UK bombers are useless at T4 and T6. They only become good at T8. And yes i am telling exactly not to use them. IJN carriers is all about torps, more torps , more torps , and when you don't have torps you use the AP bombers. IJN carriers is all about in killing the BBs and cruisers in the enemy team as fast as possible.

5- You ALWAYS target broadside but you aim to hit the bow and stern, those places are the ones causing floods and modules damage.

Wrong. When dropping 2 or 3 or more torps what you want only is to connect the many torps as possible. You are not targeting the bow you are targeting the middle to try to connect all torps.

6- Aiming at the bow gives space to correct mistakes, and as I said, sometimes it's better to disable a turret for a teammate to finish it off than trying to do +1 citadel...also, you can citadel on the turrets...you know that, right? It's better to disable the turret ot kill the enemy as fast as possible with citadel hits? Makes no sense.

7- Neutralizing enemy CV is a good strategy, and since I don't have Graf Zeppelin I can't give more accurate intel but what I can say is, CVs are the most vulnerable ships to airplanes, and if you can get rid of the 10 minutes fighters you're almost set for a crushing victory, as I said, only go for the CV if your planes are weak and closer to it with no other targets around. Neutralizing enemy cvs in the carrier rework is the most noob move you can do in game . You only attack them when the other targets are dead or if you know the enemy carrier is low hp. I have no more to say to you. i already know what type of player you are and i advise everybody reading his tips to take with a grain of salt.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,495 posts
9,311 battles

I just love that in cyclones surface ships can see my aircraft through the storm but I can't see them.

[WOLF8]
Members
6,185 posts
5,626 battles
Just now, Zaydin said:

I just love that in cyclones, surface ships can see my aircraft through the storm but I can't see them.

:Smile_teethhappy:

Well said. So true. :Smile_teethhappy:

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles

@_no_one_

1- Well, guess I'll never know since I don't own a T10 haku but if I manage to get it I'll give it a try and see how your "Little time to react but also 8km torp drop" works.

2- You can use full TB squads against targets with the new repair ability, and if you play IJN T8 you must know by now that you have 16 planes on reserve. And you use full squads to launch 2 attacks, if you use only 2 out of 3 attack planes you probably won't be able to launch the second wave, while if you use full squad you can make 2 runs.

3- You're doing 8k dmg with tiny tim and I'm doing 7k dmg with the other rocket...but I'm also hitting more DDs, crippling more cruisers and destroying AA of everyone. And doing 13k dmg on enemy CV.

4- IJN carriers aren't all about torps, a squad of IJN DB can easily hit 6 citadels on german BBs, it's all about opportunity, torps are amazing damage dealers, but so are DBs...actually those have more damage potential since they don't have a "torpedo belt" on deck to prevent citadel damage.

5- Go on then, get your 10 torps and aim at the same spot on the enemy's torpedo belt, I'll still be targetting bow and stern and effectively crippling the enemy, instead of only doing raw damage.

6- Yes, it's better to disable an enemy when he has a lot of life than do a little bit more damage, work for the team, they might not thank you later but they probably wonder why the enemy only shot with 1 cannon.

7- Well, no use discussing this with you then.

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles

Also, not saying that your strategies are wrong, if you look our stats you'll see that we're pretty much alike, only difference being I only focus on CV and you on many other ships.

If you're telling me that I'm playing completely wrong but my stats are like yours then...

[WOLF8]
Members
6,185 posts
5,626 battles
4 minutes ago, ALROCHA said:

5- Go on then, get your 10 torps and aim at the same spot on the enemy's torpedo belt, I'll still be targetting bow and stern and effectively crippling the enemy, instead of only doing raw damage.

Doesn't the torpedo damage reduction not apply to bow and stern, because of the torpedo belt being only on the midsection? I also personally try to aim at the bow (a little ahead, actually), because whenever I aim at the mid-ship, the torps just... miss, lol.

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles
24 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Doesn't the torpedo damage reduction not apply to bow and stern, because of the torpedo belt being only on the midsection? I also personally try to aim at the bow (a little ahead, actually), because whenever I aim at the mid-ship, the torps just... miss, lol.

THANK YOU

It's way easier to aim for the bow and "miss" hitting the middle than just trying to hit the middle all the time, think of it as a "HEADSHOT"

[SFOR]
Members
996 posts
7,846 battles
1 hour ago, ALROCHA said:

If you're telling me that I'm playing completely wrong but my stats are like yours then...

You are joking right?

I just comeback to wows just to play the carrier rework. I had to learn everything from scratch. I manage to go from a wr below 20% and only 15K damage in the hosho to become the 3rd best player in NA server.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/4185896656,Hosho/

Applying the same strategy in using only torps in the Ryujo i become the 3rd best player in the NA server.

In the Hermes i tried to use rockets and bombs like you do. The moment i understand it wasn't worth it and focus only using torps i manage in a few games to become 9 best player in the NA server.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/4081039312,Hermes/

If you want to know a carrier i couldn't make it work it was the Langley, still after all the nerfs in 8.1 i decided to grind the Ranger.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/4183799792,Ranger/#_no_one_

After all the nerfs i still manage to become the 44 player.

In the Lexi i manage to have a plus 8k average damage in comparison with you.

From what i read so far i have nothing to learn from you, the same thing i can't say about you.

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles
9 hours ago, _no_one_ said:

You are joking right?

I just comeback to wows just to play the carrier rework. I had to learn everything from scratch. I manage to go from a wr below 20% and only 15K damage in the hosho to become the 3rd best player in NA server.

Applying the same strategy in using only torps in the Ryujo i become the 3rd best player in the NA server.

In the Hermes i tried to use rockets and bombs like you do. The moment i understand it wasn't worth it and focus only using torps i manage in a few games to become 9 best player in the NA server.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/4081039312,Hermes/

If you want to know a carrier i couldn't make it work it was the Langley, still after all the nerfs in 8.1 i decided to grind the Ranger.

After all the nerfs i still manage to become the 44 player.

In the Lexi i manage to have a plus 8k average damage in comparison with you.

From what i read so far i have nothing to learn from you, the same thing i can't say about you.

First, you finally learned to get a proper response using quote, thank you, it makes easier for me.

1- I came back for WoWs just because of the rework, same as you, the only difference is that I used to play A LOT of the old CV and had no learn everything else again, talk about a tough process when all your old tactics doesn't work anymore.

2- You're comparing yourself with low tier CVs, where compromises most of the new CV players, and in low tier the AA factor doesn't exist as hard as in T8 and T10 battles, so when you fly a weak plane into weak AA you're fine, even so because in your arguments one you used is "I use torpedoes for everything, from hitting BBs to *Cruisers*", clearly showing that you don't know how hard it is to reach T10 cruisers with IJN planes.

3- GJ on the hermes, I had no patience to keep playing with it.

4- In the Lexington you're stationed as 108 and I'm 114, even though you have 8k+ damage (consider that I've been playing and TESTING with T8 since the rework with just a few matches played when CVs were OP because I had to embark and a lot after the nerfs), you have 7% less win rate than me.

And since we've come to check who has the bigger, this is our stats when it comes to CVs in general

image.thumb.png.5fdb465d6222b987e1682b64089c18ac.png

And I strongly believe that one never knows everything and should always seeks to learn from others, woke up today to try out what you said with torpedoes spam and your tips with the tiny tim, I'll try your strategy and see if it works better or what can be improved, even though I'd hate to admit that your strategy is better, if it works for you it probably has something right with it.

Oh, besides average damage being the most important factor for PR, the game doesn't goes around damage, and I'm pretty sure that my high win rate comes from killing players' engines and turrets for my team.

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,716 posts
13,921 battles
11 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Thanks! I am ready to shed the feeling of playing CV's with "Hope I have a good enough team to carry me while I learn"

Go learn in co op, your team is expecting you to be able to carry yourself, not the other way around, this is the problem with CV players that have little clue

[NUWES]
Members
2,792 posts
8,966 battles
11 hours ago, ALROCHA said:

@_no_one_

1- Stealth torping is for T10 IJN only, for the T8 planes the 10% reduction is useless. (And I might say, stealth torping doesn't work in every map and you might miss more than hit if you somehow get spotted in that little amount of time you have to pull out your planes)

2- DDs destroy fighter planes in 20s, they've been nerfed in a way any ship's AA can take them down, and if you just sacrifice an entire TB squad for 1 drop only instead of many is up to you, but after the update they're the "tankiest" of the planes out there, able to do many attack runs on a single target under heavy AA fire. Also, the fighter strategy to spot BBs work when they're isolated, and when they're isolated they're no treat to your team nor your team can damage them (most of the times).

4- IJN attacker planes does the most damage to targets and are by far the better option to target DDs and some cruisers, are you saying that you don't use 1 of the 3 types of planes offered? In UK case I see that the bombers and TBs are so good and durable that you won't be needing the rockets...

6- Aiming at the bow gives space to correct mistakes, and as I said, sometimes it's better to disable a turret for a teammate to finish it off than trying to do +1 citadel...also, you can citadel on the turrets...you know that, right?

7- Neutralizing enemy CV is a good strategy, and since I don't have Graf Zeppelin I can't give more accurate intel but what I can say is, CVs are the most vulnerable ships to airplanes, and if you can get rid of the 10 minutes fighters you're almost set for a crushing victory, as I said, only go for the CV if your planes are weak and closer to it with no other targets around.

I agree 100% with everything except #7. My opinion is CV itself makes no difference to the outcome of the game unless you can blow it away quickly and completely. Damage short of killing it does absolutely nothing to impair its capabilities and carriers are resource-inefficient at taking down fresh targets on their own . If you are attacking the other CV directly you are basically doing it alone because they are almost always in the back and you are attacking a fresh target with some of the best AA on its tier and that AA is almost always undegraded. You are losing planes and time for something that you probably can't finish off and in the long run won't affect the match. Meanwhile the CV you are attacking loses ZERO attack capability while you are going after him. Unless the enemy CV is in a vulnerable position or you stumble over it or it is late in the game I don't think it is worth going after the other CV. Unless you can sink it quickly it is just pouring damage, planes and match time down a hole and those are three things you don't have a lot of.   I'm not suggesting that a CV should never attack the other one, but I think they are usually unproductive targets. To hurt the CV player your team needs to damage his strike groups faster than he can regen them. The hull really doesn't have much impact. 

I was in a great match yesterday. Between the DDs and the enemy Midway they wasted quite a bit of the match trying to sink me rather than actually taking out the ships that were retaking the caps. They got me down to 10% health but the enemy Midway basically nearly deplaned himself on my AA and wasted a lot of flight time when I was near the far right border of the map. What he should have done was go after our Montana in the middle  (our only other surviving ship) who was retaking the cap. I knew that the Montana would win the match for us if he survived (and I didn't have enough planes or time left to go after the other Midway) so I just circled him with my planes ready to drop a protective fighter to keep him alive for the last minute of the game. By the time the other Midway realized that our Montana would be the deciding factor it was way too late.

That's an extreme example, but it exemplified why I think it is generally a waste to go hunting the other carrier. If it is nearby, hit it, but he could have whittled our Montana down earlier (when it mattered) with the time and planes he spent flying to the other side of the map to fail to sink me. For surface ships the answer is completely different. If you can range on the CV you should absolutely shoot it. It doesn't cost a surface ship any significant amount of resources (maybe 30 sec of time) to do so and their shots can't be intercepted. Asashios can even lob torpedoes into suspect CV locations if there are no better BB targets around. 

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles
31 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

I agree 100% with everything except #7. My opinion is CV itself makes no difference to the outcome of the game unless you can blow it away quickly and completely. Damage short of killing it does absolutely nothing to impair its capabilities and carriers are resource-inefficient at taking down fresh targets on their own . If you are attacking the other CV directly you are basically doing it alone because they are almost always in the back and you are attacking a fresh target with some of the best AA on its tier and that AA is almost always undegraded. You are losing planes and time for something that you probably can't finish off and in the long run won't affect the match. Meanwhile the CV you are attacking loses ZERO attack capability while you are going after him. Unless the enemy CV is in a vulnerable position or you stumble over it or it is late in the game I don't think it is worth going after the other CV. Unless you can sink it quickly it is just pouring damage, planes and match time down a hole and those are three things you don't have a lot of.   I'm not suggesting that a CV should never attack the other one, but I think they are usually unproductive targets. To hurt the CV player your team needs to damage his strike groups faster than he can regen them. The hull really doesn't have much impact. 

I was in a great match yesterday. Between the DDs and the enemy Midway they wasted quite a bit of the match trying to sink me rather than actually taking out the ships that were retaking the caps. They got me down to 10% health but the enemy Midway basically nearly deplaned himself on my AA and wasted a lot of flight time when I was near the far right border of the map. What he should have done was go after our Montana in the middle  (our only other surviving ship) who was retaking the cap. I knew that the Montana would win the match for us if he survived (and I didn't have enough planes or time left to go after the other Midway) so I just circled him with my planes ready to drop a protective fighter to keep him alive for the last minute of the game. By the time the other Midway realized that our Montana would be the deciding factor it was way too late.

That's an extreme example, but it exemplified why I think it is generally a waste to go hunting the other carrier. If it is nearby, hit it, but he could have whittled our Montana down earlier (when it mattered) with the time and planes he spent flying to the other side of the map to fail to sink me. For surface ships the answer is completely different. If you can range on the CV you should absolutely shoot it. It doesn't cost a surface ship any significant amount of resources (maybe 30 sec of time) to do so and their shots can't be intercepted. Asashios can even lob torpedoes into suspect CV locations if there are no better BB targets around. 

CVs only carry 2 fighter consumable around with 10 minutes cooldown, let's say you launched your 9 attacker planes in the beginning and used 3 to pop that DD and he used smoke, now you probably have 6 full health attackers.

Now, let's say you find an isolated BB along the way, you attack him and now you have 3 planes "not in perfect condition".

Now let's say, you can either try to attack this goliath again or spot the CV, pop his fighter consumable and go for him, popping your fighter consumable around 3~4km range. You might say "but why would I waste 3 of my attackers for that?" well, they respawn, at the momment you launched your first attack wave, you probably already have 2 new ones, so recalling airplanes when you're full of planes is a waste. Also, in the occasion you manage to hit the CV, let's say he was close to an island and you managed to dodge most of the AA, you'll CERTAINLY do 10k+ damage because of the large surface + low armor, that's usually 8~9% of the damage top players do IN ONE ATTACK RUN, and now the enemy CV doesn't have fighters, which means you can do it again (if no other targets are up) without risking losing every plane.

I agree that focusing enemy CV is useless, I believe that the only one that might be able to do it is Graf Zepellin with their high speed planes and 3 torpedoes, equip a flooding flag and you'll probably deal a lot of damage since CVs now auto-use DCP.