You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sumseaman

How is everyone going with the Exeter marathon grind?

231 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
279 posts
16,356 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I don't think I have ever been so frustrated as I have been with this 100k fire damage task. Every dang time I set a ship on fire a DD ran in and torped it for like 5 games in a row.

I feel your pain, AT, I feel your pain. :Smile-angry:

[PIZZA]
Members
783 posts
8,974 battles

Exceter - stress-idol - purgatory - frustration - PER*****LE! 

[ARGSY]
Members
8,111 posts
5,524 battles

I had b2b games where I had 5 fires in 1 and 7 the other but got a total less than 100 fire damage among all that.

It does not in the least help that the bots put them out almost immediately if they possibly can, and getting them re-lit so they burn for the duration can be difficult. Human captains at least have the decency to let one fire burn out.

I will give strong consideration to reporting ships that sink my barbecues for bad play until this phase is done. They KNOW that British ships need fire damage, at least for the next few days, and I'm sure that in some cases they're trolling.

On the other hand, for those who already have their fire task done, the next item on the table is torpedo strikes. 

Fire ribbons I think are a better task requirement than fire damage.

Agreed. That would at least give those who only have tech-tree British cruisers a chance. You'd be surprised (well, not specifically you, AT; you've probably tried it) just how many fire ribbons one can mine on a Leander with diligent YOLO-ing.

[ONE]
Members
601 posts
9,474 battles

100K fire damage may be easier if you have BB or CA. Just fire all HE until you get it. Winning is not important.

[PVE]
Members
7,239 posts
12,499 battles
35 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It does not in the least help that the bots put them out almost immediately if they possibly can, and getting them re-lit so they burn for the duration can be difficult. Human captains at least have the decency to let one fire burn out.

I will give strong consideration to reporting ships that sink my barbecues for bad play until this phase is done. They KNOW that British ships need fire damage, at least for the next few days, and I'm sure that in some cases they're trolling.

On the other hand, for those who already have their fire task done, the next item on the table is torpedo strikes. 

Agreed. That would at least give those who only have tech-tree British cruisers a chance. You'd be surprised (well, not specifically you, AT; you've probably tried it) just how many fire ribbons one can mine on a Leander with diligent YOLO-ing.

Yeah I know the bots put them out asap but these were fires that would have stuck (most anyway) but never had a chance. And for sure that 1st fire on a bot is easy but the follow up ones are way harder than they should be a lot of the time. The most aggravating game was where I set 3 ships on fire and each time the moment I got them burning for the 2nd time so it would have stuck the same Okhotnik player would run in and torp them to the bottom. I swear I wanted to TK him. :Smile-angry:

I don't have much issue with people playing for their own needs. It's just aggravating is all. And a lot of these people in the DD's or even Cruisers torping stuff are not in qualifying ships so it can't be for Exeter. Something else or they are just playing.

I think ribbons are better than the damage caused (be it flooding or fire) because it eliminates the influence we are seeing other players have on your results. Getting the fire or flood is only 1/2 of it and it is too easy for another player to kill the progress you made towards your task. I hope moving forward WG will not use fire or flood damage again and rather just go by ribbons. Increase the number of ribbons if they want but please no more damage total. Regular ship damage is fine but not this specialized damage.

BRN CL's, if you get close, actually have decent secondary guns. I get 20-40 sec hits in a lot of games with T6+. I am lucky and have Belfast for this stuff though.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[ARGSY]
Members
8,111 posts
5,524 battles
12 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

The most aggravating game was where I set 3 ships on fire and each time the moment I got them burning for the 2nd time so it would have stick the same Okhotnik player would run in and torp them to the bottom. I swear I wanted to TK him.

That was deliberate trolling. It's the only thing that fits. You should have sent that one in on a ticket.

We are in full agreement on everything else here; there is little else to be said, except that I once seriously considered a secondary brawling build on my Edinburgh just to see what would happen. I might yet try it out in PTS again someday soon. Neptune also has promise; she's practically got a short-range Daring strapped to each side.

Minotaur would be even more awesome, except that the game considers Minotaur's 3-inch/70 twins to be AA guns only.

[WOLF9]
Members
46 posts
3,238 battles
10 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They still have a week to reinstate the four-goal haul and make him a happy man. It would be a bastard to get seven of them, but if anyone can do it, he can. 

Or add Scenarios and Scenario achievements, may be a decent compromise

Abbye

Members
2,844 posts
3,092 battles

I got it done, but it was pretty annoying to see my fires get cleansed and allies quickly get triple fires afterwards. Then think you could make up for it with the remaining battleships only for ally DDs to suicide torp them. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,887 posts
12,189 battles

Working on my fires right now.  It's not very fun spamming HE in an RN BB and not giving much effort to winning, but this is what WG wants.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,646 posts
596 battles

I finished the first stage in my Wichita in one night.

2nd stage, I finished the EXP and am working on the caps. Caps, fires and floods shouldn't be an issue.

The one I'm not looking forward to is the Achievements one. You can't count on those, which makes it hard to go into a game looking forward to achieving something.

Members
1,140 posts

I am on 18 of 30 aircraft on the very first stage, RNG is obviously not on my side and the first stage as far as coop is concerned is obviously fundamentally broken as far as easy in comparison to other modes. 

[PVE]
Members
12,508 posts
8,541 battles

Still have 12 planes to shoot down to get off the first mission. I've been playing co-op and have not been trying to find planes.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,887 posts
12,189 battles

Finished up stage 3 on my prime account.  I did coop for the torpedo missions.  I tried Fiji and Leander first, that didn't work out, so I switched to my DDs.  For fire damage, I started off in co-op, but that was not productive.  I switched to randoms, and spammed my KGV, DoY and Belfast.  For hits, I stayed in randoms because I figured teams would last longer and I'd get more shooting in.  I alternated between Fiji and Belfast.  For the kills, I went back to co-op.  I tried my Belfast first, because i've got a high comfort level with it, and as a premium the credit cost is good.  Got several kills sniped the first game, so I switched to Fiji thinking I'd alpha things with torps.  That didn't work well either.  So I strapped on 32 knots of Hood.  That was just the ticket.  I was able to charge in and brawl down the bot BBs fairly easy, and Hood's tough enough to take the punishment.

For my EU and alt accounts, this is going to be more difficult.  I don't have the menagerie of premiums to cherry pick ships for missions, and I don't have a wide variety of ships to choose from.

[DPG]
Members
1,117 posts
5,444 battles

The 30 planes task has been the least frustrating of the bunch.  I got that in two battles with the Sims.  I got 25 plane kills the first battle and I might have gotten the other 5 but the enemy CV stopped flying his planes over me. That 100k fire damage one and the flooding ribbons task were the most annoying.  Sometimes you just don't get a flooding on a torp hit.  Co-op is certainly great for these kinds of things because you can get away with doing things you couldn't in randoms.  However, I don't just yolo in and "gets mine" because I feel kind of dirty ruining it for the rest of the team.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,111 posts
5,524 battles

Fire tasks - four co-op games in Nelson and I was done, plus it got me through the current directive task for the premium UK BBs. If you have the FXP to spare, get the Nelson - it is awesome for fire-starting missions of all kinds, and unlike the Japanese BBQ destroyers the service costs are moderate (premium bonuses), the matchmaking is benign, AND a full broadside of HE at close-ish range will carve large chunks of HP off lightly armoured cruisers without repair parties, break modules, and start fires all at once.

Torpedo hits - six co-op games in Gallant, trying very hard to play the objective with a bit of YOLO when it was called for (mass bot BB centre channel rush). Some really stupid behaviour on the part of cruiser drivers, not content with doing it across multiple battles and taking unconscionable risks that resulted in avoidable co-op losses. I could have used the Jervis or Icarus, but the Gallant can take my 19 pointer.

Main battery hits - I got 400-ish before it was time to pack up and go to bed. The hilarious and somewhat scary part is that I also got about two thirds of the secondary battery hit directive done. I'd planned to take out the QE and do this during the 15-kills phase, but at this rate it's going to be done before the main battery hits are finished. Mostly used the Fiji because it has my 19 point commander and the combat costs are less, even though the Edinburgh seems to be the marginally better ship when the Fiji had been sunk.

[PVE]
Members
7,239 posts
12,499 battles

So I have finished up Stage 3 and have done what I can in the event. The 7 Achievement task in Stage 4/Part 1 is a roadblock that gates completion of the event off to me as a Co-op player. Even though they intended this event to be Co-op doable, and have admitted they made a mistake with the task requirements (an "oversight' they called it), they refuse to fix it so I have now gone as far as I can. 

I did what I could and farmed what I could through the 3 stages that were possible to do. Would have been nice to be able to finish it and get the 4k doubloon compensation for the duplicate Exeter but oh well it's not meant to be I guess.

Good luck to the rest of you.:Smile_honoring:

[ARGSY]
Members
8,111 posts
5,524 battles
13 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

So I have finished up Stage 3 and have done what I can in the event. The 7 Achievement task in Stage 4/Part 1 is a roadblock that gates completion of the event off to me as a Co-op player. Even though they intended this event to be Co-op doable, and have admitted they made a mistake with the task requirements (an "oversight' they called it), they refuse to fix it so I have now gone as far as I can. 

I did what I could and farmed what I could through the 3 stages that were possible to do. Would have been nice to be able to finish it and get the 4k doubloon compensation for the duplicate Exeter but oh well it's not meant to be I guess.

Good luck to the rest of you.:Smile_honoring:

I'm not giving up hope for you until phase 4 actually starts, but I will accept your best wishes.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
8,111 posts
5,524 battles
21 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Well I found a CV. Other than finding the CV, been pretty easy. Should be done tomorrow sometime.

539693747_fiji2.thumb.jpg.2a5123023d9a5d2c1489c5d459f19cbe.jpg

Sell your Fiji immediately. You will never have a game like that again; don't spoil the memory. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 2

[NG-NL]
Members
5,342 posts
8,985 battles

Got to the 3rd stage already. Currently need to get torp hits, using Leander and Lightning for that.

Haven't decided yet if want to grind to Jutland/Daring, so haven't taken Lightning to pvp for that.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,111 posts
5,524 battles
2 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Got to the 3rd stage already. Currently need to get torp hits, using Leander and Lightning for that.

Haven't decided yet if want to grind to Jutland/Daring, so haven't taken Lightning to pvp for that.

I could have taken the Jervis to co-op for the torpedo mission because every little bit counts and XP never goes backwards (except when you unlock upgraded guns; the sharp drop when you unlock the B hull is necessary). My choice of the Gallant was decided by two things - the extra 1km torpedo range (and stealth launch buffer distance) and more importantly the fact that as a premium, I could put my UK 19 pointer in her. (I could also have taken the Cossack because I love that ship to bits, but for this mission it was better to be able to unload 8 torps at once than 4).

[XBRTC]
Members
2,350 posts
8,290 battles

The fire damage mission was frustrating, but I managed it in the end. I took Belfast out about 8-9 times yesterday (which I didn't really enjoy) and only managed about 25,000 fire damage total. Then I took Cossack out, and in one damn battle got 49,000 fire damage. The remainder of the fires went pretty quickly after that.

The 20 torpedo hits, though, that's the one that's getting me. Gallant and Cossack are about my only viable ponies for this race, and it ain't going well today. 3 times out in Gallant today and I've only managed one torpedo hit. It's frustrating. They've all been really bad losses, too.

Members
1,381 posts
8,755 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Sell your Fiji immediately. You will never have a game like that again; don't spoil the memory. :Smile_teethhappy:

Haha, yah it was a good game. My team was actually losing till I went all "Game Over" mode.

Edit: Also note for anyone. I used the Fiji for the plane part. (I tried using the Indy, dont do that). DoY for the fires, was super easy. And using the Cossack for the Torps, just need 2 more torp hits when I decide to play tonight.

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,887 posts
12,189 battles
1 hour ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Haha, yah it was a good game. My team was actually losing till I went all "Game Over" mode.

Edit: Also note for anyone. I used the Fiji for the plane part. (I tried using the Indy, dont do that). DoY for the fires, was super easy. And using the Cossack for the Torps, just need 2 more torp hits when I decide to play tonight.

Indy's OK with BFT/AFT and the AA module  And DFAA.  Without those though, I struggled to kill planes.