You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sumseaman

How is everyone going with the Exeter marathon grind?

231 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
582 posts
1,626 battles

for $35.00 USD i just bought the thing. Came with a nice bundle.

[O_O]
Members
4,843 posts
10,659 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I can't find any planes in the Tier range required, yet I get them by the dozens when I'm in the wrong ship type/tier.

AA spec Nicholas.  She shreds planes about as well as the old tier 6 Cleveland did.  It's ridiculous.  I could have saved a lot of time on this stage if I would have known sooner what an AA monster Nicholas can be.  Example (40 planes shot down with a tier 5 destroyer?!?):

Spoiler

Bux1k4f.jpg

[REVY]
Members
1,088 posts
8,359 battles
9 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

AA spec Nicholas.  She shreds planes about as well as the old tier 6 Cleveland did.  It's ridiculous.  I could have saved a lot of time on this stage if I would have known sooner what an AA monster Nicholas can be.  Example (40 planes shot down with a tier 5 destroyer?!?):

Reveal hidden contents

Bux1k4f.jpg

having an AA ship is not the issue.

The issue is actually getting a battle that has a CV in it when I am in a ship that meets the mission specs.

The only time it seems I get a CV (or even spotter planes) is when I am in a ship/tier that is not part of the mission specs. My Worchester and Kitakaze have had some awesome plane shredding games, but when I bring out my Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, etc, I never seem to get a CV drop.

[O_O]
Members
4,843 posts
10,659 battles
2 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

The issue is actually getting a battle that has a CV in it when I am in a ship that meets the mission specs.

I meant to address that in my original post, sorry.  I found a lot more CV's playing T5 than I did playing my higher tier ships.  I'm finishing up my first two daily mission tasks in Co-op, then will be off in Nicholas to shoot some planes.  I'll see how successful I am in finding CV's today.

*First Nicholas game - 2 CV's.  I was immediately attacked by rocket planes from both Ryujo and Ranger.  I shot down 6 before being annihilated.

Edited by desmo_2

[ARGSY]
Members
8,111 posts
5,524 battles
10 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

having an AA ship is not the issue.

The only time it seems I get a CV (or even spotter planes) is when I am in a ship/tier that is not part of the mission specs. My Worchester and Kitakaze have had some awesome plane shredding games, but when I bring out my Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, etc, I never seem to get a CV drop.

So don't play Tier IX or X until this thing is done. You want the ship? Play to the mission. Or go into co-op and YOLO ships with fighters and scouts. Pop your own if you have one, pop DFAA, and go to town. Lather, rinse, repeat. In the Atlanta, you might even get a few YOLO torp hits in.

• Bad 1

[WMD]
Members
444 posts
6,224 battles

I'm still on stage 2 and hating it. I don't enjoy playing IJN ships very much, and then RNGesus decided to bless me with standard battles when I needed the capture/defend ribbons just to add to my misery. Thankfully The Division 2 is out now so I can take a break there before hating push for 10 fires.

[TX]
Members
358 posts
4,352 battles

Completed R2 on Saturday,.

The one that's probably going to be a huge grind is Round 3's 100,000 Fire Damage for UK ships.

Cruisers are all gonna be Premiums, which I don't own.
For Battleships T6 is the highest I have,. Queen Elizabeth doesn't seem much of a Fire Starter, to me;
And DD's that I've only unlocked to T6 and I think that's mainly because it was done for me, during the PEF Campaign event.. (a huge grind fest, but I made out like a bandit as far as Perma Camo is concerned.)

Edited by Hydra_360ci

[ARGSY]
Members
8,111 posts
5,524 battles
21 minutes ago, Hydra_360ci said:

Completed R2 on Saturday,.

The one that's probably going to be a huge grind is Round 3's 100,000 Fire Damage for UK ships.

Cruisers are all gonna be Premiums, which I don't own.
For Battleships T6 is the highest I have,. Queen Elizabeth doesn't seem much of a Fire Starter, to me;
And DD's that I've only unlocked to T6.

You do your best with what you've got. Not everyone is going to finish this, or WG would have issued everyone a free Exeter.

Keep an eye on the ships you torpedo in your Icarus, and try lighting fires when the damage counter stops after the flooding (or if it doesn't stop, LOL).

Spam co-op. Brawl. YOLO charge enemy ships in your QE and tech tree British cruisers and see what your secondaries can do (control-click first; it doesn't make as much difference as if you had manual fire control for secondaries, but it does help a little). If the enemy ship is caught with DCP down, you might get useful fires out of that. I remember late 2017 trying to get fire ribbons for Christmas missions with my Leander because it was literally the ONLY ship I had above tier 5 with secondaries worth speaking of; YOLO charging to set secondary fires was all I had. Of course getting damage out of those fires is a different thing entirely.

[TX]
Members
358 posts
4,352 battles

Yeah.... do wish R3 was for the US, and not the UK. Cleveland would make the fire part so, much easier.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,111 posts
5,524 battles
4 minutes ago, Hydra_360ci said:

Yeah.... do wish R3 was for the US, and not the UK. Cleveland would make the fire part so, much easier.

R1 was for both, but I think Exeter suffered her final demise alone, hence the UK-only flavour of this one.

The people this rewards are the ones who ground their way up the UK DD line the moment it went fully live and are at least at the Jervis now, and/or who worked their way through the Cossack event to buy her for the (US) $1 token price, and/or the ones who have been in the game long enough to accumulate enough FXP for the Nelson & buy it.

[A_51]
Members
678 posts

I completed the first two stages. Not sure if I will be able to complete the seven achievements requirement in stage four.  

[TX]
Members
358 posts
4,352 battles
2 minutes ago, Seaneroo said:

I completed the first two stages. Not sure if I will be able to complete the seven achievements requirement in stage four.  

I'm gonna try yolo'ing bots in co'-op with a DD for some devastating strikes icons.

Though, I'm not sure if battle Achievements are given in Co-op. If they aren't, then....I'll just have to let down my teammates and do it in Random.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
113 posts
4,428 battles

I quit halfway through the first part of the second stage. I don't like the Japanese line. Don't care enough for the Exerter to continue.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,111 posts
5,524 battles
29 minutes ago, Hydra_360ci said:

I'm gonna try yolo'ing bots in co'-op with a DD for some devastating strikes icons.

Though, I'm not sure if battle Achievements are given in Co-op. If they aren't, then....I'll just have to let down my teammates and do it in Random.

They aren't, and you will have to.

Try to time your killing torpedo salvoes properly, remembering that "It's just a flesh wound" is also an achievement. Also mount ramming flags; you never know when you're going to catch a low-health DD or cruiser in a tight spot in a battleship and be able to run them down for a Die-Hard. Or break a destroyer's engine while charging it in smoke, and ram it in a Fiji or Leander or something. Remember that all you have to do is survive the actual ramming while they don't; it doesn't matter if you flood to death five seconds later.

I think the best I ever did from a single torpedo salvo was to get a Dev Strike (I took more than half his health in killing him), flesh wound (he died after I did) and Liquidator (he flooded at least 40% of his health pool).

Remember also that British cruisers in the T6-8 bracket have heals just like battleships do, and if you take premium repair and the appropriate flag, you might be in the running for some combination of Dreadnought plus maybe Fireproof or Unsinkable if you survive a beating.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF6]
Members
470 posts
5,394 battles
22 hours ago, CorradoG60 said:

Could care less. It's way to much grinding for a tier V ship which at the end of the day is what WG wants.

The same here , the after nerf Exeter just doesn't interest me .

[ARGSY]
Members
8,111 posts
5,524 battles
2 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

The same here , the after nerf Exeter just doesn't interest me .

It didn't interest me enough to pay for the "Admiral package", for sure. I would rather try to win it for nothing first. If I can't manage it, I'm sure she'll go on sale for ship plus port slot only at some much-reduced price, and I will grab her then. She might be worth that.

[FGNE]
Members
642 posts
1,597 battles

It was CAKE to do in CoOp.  Anything that was $$ or EXP was done in random.  The defended portion I got done in one map.  Played a DD, baited 2 DDs into the cap.  Went outside the cap, smoked up and pelted them while they were stationary at 5km range. 15 defended in 1 match.  Fires and flooding was just as easy.  Done in 2 matches.

[WOLFC]
Members
772 posts
7,370 battles
13 hours ago, destawaits said:

... The fourth stage will be difficult for me as I don't have a suitable UK BB.

I didn't either until an Air Container dropped one ... they seem more rare than ever.  I sacrificed a mosquito to RNG for ya.

download.jpg

[ONE]
Members
601 posts
9,474 battles

Just check the news, all can be play in Co-op. What is this random only thing?

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/deals/java-sea/

Personally I think all earn ops of higher tiers ships should be in random mode only. Certain requirements are way too easy in co-op.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
448 posts
11,294 battles
11 hours ago, Vaidency said:

The mission that requires 7 achievements must be done in a British ship between tier 6 and 8, so German BB's are not an option.

Hmm, that's unfortunate. While I enjoy the Warspite she's not exactly an achievement earner. Well, maybe the Hood I guess. 

[PVE]
Members
7,239 posts
12,499 battles
20 hours ago, Sumseaman said:

Personally I have finally finished all parts of the second stage, thanks largely to the filth that is the Kamikaze (very helpful for pooping out 8k base xp). I tried to keep the remainder to coop but simply kept getting standard battles so could never cap nor defend. Many seals suffered. :Smile_hiding:

The next stage appears to be the easiest though it seems cruisers won't be useful for the first.

The final will of course force people into random grinds getting achievements any way they know how.

Is this all too much for many? 

I am done parts 1 and 2 and waiting for part 3 for what good it will do me. Can't finish part 4 due to the achievement requirement as a Co-op player who does not play Randoms. Doing what I can to get what rewards out of it I can until I hit the wall WG added to lock out Co-op players (I no longer believe it was an oversight - oversights are corrected when there is time and the ability to do so as there was here while intentional acts are left as is).

The 30 planes down in part 1 in Co-op was an adventure but got it done. The rest of part 1 and all of part 2 were fairly easy; just time consuming.

[PVE]
Members
7,239 posts
12,499 battles
20 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

I only have British DD from an earlier event........  So, there's no AC in COOP.   There's no flooding to be had.  With AA as low as 9, what's the point?  It was designed for players with British CA's and BB's.....

There will be another one later down the road.  And, one day, MAYBE, an event centered around IJN ships..........  (No !  That can not be !)

You realize don't you part 2 of this event calls for IJN DD and Cruisers right?

What do you mean no AC in Co-op? Do you mean planes (Air Craft)? If so the 30 plane kills for part 1 can still be done there. Lots of Cruisers have fighters or spotters as do BB's. I did it in Co-op. It's not easy and it requires foolish and selfish play but it can be done. 

What do you mean no flooding to be had? I don't understand (seriously - please explain).

Actually you have to get to part 3 for the BRN BB's to play into it. Part 1 is BRN DD/Cruisers OR US DD/Cruisers. Part 2 as said above calls for IJN DD/Cruisers. Part 3 and Part 4 it's back to BRN DD/Cruisers with some of them allowing BRN BB. I mean it is an event for a BRN ship so I am surprised they actually allowed ships from other nations at all.

[PVE]
Members
7,239 posts
12,499 battles
1 hour ago, dcr66 said:

Just check the news, all can be play in Co-op. What is this random only thing?

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/deals/java-sea/

Personally I think all earn ops of higher tiers ships should be in random mode only. Certain requirements are way too easy in co-op.

Stage 4/Part 1 is earn 7 Achievements. There are no Co-op Achievements so despite it saying it can be done in Co-op it can't. Pigeon_of_War already admitted to this - called it an "oversight".

These events include Co-op so that ALL of the player base can participate in the game fully. Not everyone plays Randoms. Many of us only play Co-op. Many requirements like Base XP and Credits are far easier in Randoms than Co-op so that goes both ways.