15 comments in this topic

[CLAN]
Members
2 posts
2,932 battles

Why is Duke of York worse than King George the 5th besides concealment? Rudder shift time is worse, reload is worse (even though they have the same guns), and it has less number of heal consumables. I thought I would put that out there so do you think Duke of York needs a buff? I would be happy if the Duke of York would be buffed to be the equal of King George V or slightly better.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
3,899 posts
4,132 battles
6 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Remember it does have hydro

^ This. Plus, I think she's supposed to have better AA, but I can't say in today's CV rework. 

DoY actually had a bit of an... interesting development history, IIRC, and the current form can be viewed as a sort of "be careful what you wish for" kind of thing. Or, that's how I understand it (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). You can find more information from Miss @LittleWhiteMouse 's review of the ship.

I personally think she's still pretty good. She's got that trademark "burn baby burn" RN HE shells, so she seems to work just fine. But maybe that's just me, lol.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,892 posts

It's the only Battleship that takes the Extend-Hydro special upgrade.

That, and you can drop any captain into it makes it competitive with the KG5, but if you spotted a 19 point captain versus a 10 pt, it probably exceeds it.

I've gotten more citadels with the HE on that ship than any other.  I'd take about half the health off light cruisers I can hit broadside.  Otherwise, I could be spamming HE anyway.

Plus..  there are the occasional missions that like it.  And it does rather well on Final Frontier.

[TF16A]
[TF16A]
Members
467 posts
6,104 battles

Also, keep in mind that the AP shells on Duke of York have USN CA autobounce angles. 

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,016 posts
6,980 battles

DoY is a balanced KGV, which drops the cancerous HE spam and encourages more AP usage thanks to her autobounce angles.

She is by no means outstanding, and I wouldn‘t mind seeing a slight sigma buff, but she is fine.

Members
28 posts
4,401 battles

I can't remeber ever seeing anything on the auto bounce angles... how'd I miss that... that changes everything... is there somewhere I can read up on this?

I've had this thing forever... how did I not know this? Lol

• Cool 1

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,219 posts
11,900 battles

I find it a bit more flexible and fun to play than the Nelson - and I adore the Nelson.  The speed and hydro allow you to be a bit more aggressive in your positioning than you could be in the Nelson.  While you lose the 16" guns and their punchy AP, the improved auto bounce of the 14" AP shells is delightfully good at wrecking cruisers.

Members
1,773 posts
9,352 battles

Hey

I for one like DOY and my win rate is better with it than the KGV for some odd reason.  Everybody says they hate it, it's garbage but it works decently enough for me.

Pete

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
18,130 posts
16,481 battles
3 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I for one like DOY and my win rate is better with it than the KGV for some odd reason.  Everybody says they hate it, it's garbage but it works decently enough for me.

Pete

In terms of surface combat, KGV is simply better for 3 main reasons:

4.5 seconds faster gun reload than DOY, which is a big deal.

DOY has worse rudder shift.

-1 Repair Party charge.

DOY is still decent, it's truly hard for WG to f---k up a Battleship.  But when you're talking surface combat, KGV is just simply better, easier.  The guns are back in action sooner and the shift responds a bit faster.

DOY however does have special bounce angles.  But it seems people want the KGV 25 second reload more.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLFB]
Members
2,247 posts
9,783 battles

The only thing DOY is a sigma buff so she can land accurate volley or a reload buff so you can shoot faster.

I would definitely play more DoY if she had better accuracy or reload. Right now 29.5sec is horrible for her gun caliber and missing the citadel of a broadside Budyoni because RNG trolled you really hard isn't particulary fun. 

[RKLES]
Members
8,739 posts
10,828 battles
On 3/13/2019 at 4:00 PM, worldwar583 said:

Why is Duke of York worse than King George the 5th besides concealment? Rudder shift time is worse, reload is worse (even though they have the same guns), and it has less number of heal consumables. I thought I would put that out there so do you think Duke of York needs a buff? I would be happy if the Duke of York would be buffed to be the equal of King George V or slightly better.

The trick to Duke of York that few players realize is its AP shells seem to be better than those on KGV, so if your AP shells hit harder on DOY they can make up for the reload difference. You can add Rudder Shift Mod to help the Rudder Shift. AA guns I think are better on DOY. And the Hydro when you learn best times to use it can be used defensively to save you from torps that may otherwise have surpassed you, or the hydro can be used offensively to storm smoke to gun down the ship or ships hiding in the smoke.

The real world history behind DOY is nice as well.

Members
1,773 posts
9,352 battles

Hey

For me the DOY has about a 20% better winrate than the KGV; but still,. it's sometimes hard to control your win rate depending on the team your given.  I just find that I liked the DOY more than I thought I would.  One ship than I don't care for is the Vanguard, very under whelming guns.  The rest of the ship is very good, just so little damage from those guns.

Pete

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.