You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nato101

Terrain Collision Damage

30 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
1,734 posts
2,514 battles

Put it in. Too much camping. There is zero consequence for ramming an island at full speed. Rubbing against an island or ramming it should cause some damage.

It should be implemented, perhaps with a chance of flooding if the speed is high, in order to avoid ships ramming islands as a form of cover.

I can't seem to add a poll for some reason?

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[DPG]
Members
1,765 posts
7,922 battles
6 minutes ago, Nato101 said:

Put it in. Too much camping. There is zero consequence for ramming an island at full speed. Rubbing against an island or ramming it should cause some damage.

It should be implemented, perhaps with a chance of flooding if the speed is high, in order to avoid ships ramming islands as a form of cover.

If you add island damage then @Notser would be permanently orange from killing himself. :Smile_great:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 11

[R-F]
Members
1,718 posts
10,018 battles

If they're going to put in terrain damage they need to tighten up the terrain.  There are places you get stuck where you wouldn't expect to.  I mean I get that in real life these ships require a lot of depth to operate and islands don't instantly drop off to the sea floor... but if you're going to increase the consequences from grounding you need to make sure players are able to accurately tell when it's going to be a problem or not.

[FLEE]
Members
2,194 posts
4,953 battles
18 minutes ago, Nato101 said:

Definitely.
But have it so that the ship ramming the island explodes, just as they do when brushing against an enemy vessel.

Members
4,034 posts
4,347 battles

May as well add the chance of a turret blowing itself up while we're at it. 

[WOLFG]
Members
7,809 posts
5,894 battles
23 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

If you add island damage then @Notser would be permanently orange from killing himself. :Smile_great:

He won't be alone. :Smile_sad:

• Funny 2

[KIA]
Members
241 posts
12,477 battles
1 minute ago, Gen_Saris said:

I would like to see a chance of flooding introduced whenever you run aground. 

Yeah but if this was the only negative aspect of it, would it really deter people?  I've totally slammed into islands as tactical beaching to avoid torp walls, stop when my ship was moving too fast and I didn't want to run out the other side of the island, etc.  DCP is almost always up in those instances and with reduced flood damage, it's not even a substantial penalty.

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,880 posts
7,091 battles

No. Historical accuracy stops where game balance starts. Clearly, it starts with us having an island and stops with those said islands damaging us. We can't even get balanced CV's and you suggest adding islands that damage ships? No, just no.

Edited by Phil_Swift_With_Flextape
forgot to make the word island plural
  • Cool 2

[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,235 battles

I would be all for this.  It would be glorious to see a bunch of light cruisers all flopping around on the rocks!

[DPG]
Members
1,765 posts
7,922 battles

I see this being really popular until you get your big bad battleship wedged up against an island and explode.  It's always easy to be spiteful until it bites you in the rear.

"I think they need to add damage to running into islands to prevent HE spamming cruisers from camping them"
Battleship player:  "Haha, squirm little cruiser.  That'll teach you to island camp and spam HE!"

5 minutes later a thread starts on the forums.
"You have to remove that island damage thing, it's not fair to BB drivers.  The ships are too big and it's too easy to get stuck."

Edited by Amenhir

[TDRB]
Members
3,884 posts
11,689 battles
59 minutes ago, Nato101 said:

NO! Not in the small area the maps cover. I would say 99.9999999% of those calling for Island damage are angry because a flame throwing cruiser has smoked their ship.

[A-O]
Members
827 posts
8,907 battles
56 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

If they're going to put in terrain damage they need to tighten up the terrain.  There are places you get stuck where you wouldn't expect to.  I mean I get that in real life these ships require a lot of depth to operate and islands don't instantly drop off to the sea floor... but if you're going to increase the consequences from grounding you need to make sure players are able to accurately tell when it's going to be a problem or not.

If you can see the island girls sunbathing on the beach without zoom mode chances are you are to close :-)

Alpha Tester
1,734 posts
2,514 battles
4 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I would say 99.9999999% of those calling for Island damage are angry because a flame throwing cruiser has smoked their ship.

00.0000001% Here. I play DDs mainly. Haven't touched BBs for years.

[A-O]
Members
827 posts
8,907 battles
40 minutes ago, PrivateJoker13 said:

I've totally slammed into islands as tactical beaching to avoid torp walls, stop when my ship was moving too fast and I didn't want to run out the other side of the island, etc.  DCP is almost always up in those instances and with reduced flood damage, it's not even a substantial penalty.

That is exactly why it is needed.

There is a difference between cutting the corner close and scratching the hull vs full speed head on ram to stop.

A real ship would either be damaged or even stay stuck.

So we should do the same, either damage relative to how hard you hit or stay stuck for say 30 seconds.

And I will curse my own suggestions as I have pulled a Notser or two simply because the mini map is on the lower right corner and i am basically blind on that eye. I wish WG would offer a map on a 2nd monitor or at least allow repositioning the minimap to the left side.

Edited by freggo
spelling fix

[TDRB]
Members
3,884 posts
11,689 battles
1 minute ago, Nato101 said:

00.0000001% Here. I play DDs mainly. Haven't touched BBs for years.

That is fine but I believe you are one of the very, very few.

As I said I object because of the tightness of the maps.

[A-O]
Members
827 posts
8,907 battles
12 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

That is fine but I believe you are one of the very, very few.

As I said I object because of the tightness of the maps.

If it is too tight just do not go there... Good advice especially to BB drivers :-)

Edited by freggo
spelling fix

[LLF]
Beta Testers
495 posts
1 hour ago, Nato101 said:

you know if they tried to add this they would make the land around the Islands a physical object too, which by the way we drive across all the time currently with no interaction which doesn't make us run aground. 

[RNDM]
Members
353 posts
6,836 battles
2 minutes ago, freggo said:

If it is to tight just do not go there... Good advice especially to BB drivers :-)

But I can make it fit if I just ram my massive pen I mean ship hard enough between those islands right

:Smile_trollface:

[TDRB]
Members
3,884 posts
11,689 battles
6 minutes ago, freggo said:

If it is to tight just do not go there... Good advice especially to BB drivers :-)

No realistic in this game.

[A-O]
Members
827 posts
8,907 battles
3 minutes ago, Florendo19 said:

But I can make it fit if I just ram my massive pen I mean ship hard enough between those islands right

I have so no idea what you are talking about ... :-)

• Funny 1

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,880 posts
7,091 battles
7 minutes ago, Florendo19 said:

2 minutes ago, freggo said:

I have so no idea what you are talking about ... :-)

This is why the player base is all single. XD

Oh wait, that means me too.

*shuffles off in solitude*

[RNDM]
Members
353 posts
6,836 battles
2 minutes ago, Phil_Swift_With_Flextape said:

This is why the player base is all single. XD

Oh wait, that means me too.

*shuffles off in solitude*

Yeah I know we're all really just overgrown children playing with our model ships

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,880 posts
7,091 battles
Just now, Florendo19 said:

Yeah I know we're all really just overgrown children playing with our model ships

I think you just summarized the entire WOWS Community in one sentence.

• Funny 1