You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Shenanigans_Abound

The real truth about your blowout losses

146 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
2,091 posts
9,532 battles
4 minutes ago, Shenanigans_Abound said:

I keep hearing matchmaking monitor thrown around and I’m kind of oblivious... is it a mod people use or something? If it is, maybe it just needs to be removed / put on the banned mod list because it seems to have an advantage to it that others don’t have. I.e. ignore that guy, farm that guy, charge this guy... again I’m oblivious to the mm monitor people keep talking about so I may have just succeeded at making myself look very foolish. Lol. 

MM Monitor is just an app that shows you the stats of the player in the ship he's playing. It doesn't show overall stats, it doesn't always makes a good prediction but within the short window of time I used it, MM Monitor explains why X has this stat with Y ship.

I mean just now I had a player with 300 battle in a Shimakaze and 43% WR and 20k damage. That sounds very bad. But then I looked at how he played, he basically yolo rushed a cap in a CV game and he got focused to death by everyone. 

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
8,038 posts
8 minutes ago, Shenanigans_Abound said:

I keep hearing matchmaking monitor thrown around and I’m kind of oblivious... is it a mod people use or something? If it is, maybe it just needs to be removed 

You can't ban the matchmaking monitor because it doesn't give you any information that WG doesn't give you itself -- all it does is compile the stats for the current match in such a way as to make it easier to find them. Furthermore, WG itself was the one that released the stats variables that can be queried in their modding info.

You can find the MMM with a simple search.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
Members
1,076 posts
7,701 battles
4 hours ago, iKami said:

Captains,

Thank you for your constructive conversation on this topic.

Question: What do you do in-game when you see the game might be slipping away?

iu (33).jpg

[TOG]
Members
3,029 posts
16,305 battles
57 minutes ago, Shenanigans_Abound said:

I keep hearing matchmaking monitor thrown around and I’m kind of oblivious... is it a mod people use or something? If it is, maybe it just needs to be removed / put on the banned mod list because it seems to have an advantage to it that others don’t have. I.e. ignore that guy, farm that guy, charge this guy... again I’m oblivious to the mm monitor people keep talking about so I may have just succeeded at making myself look very foolish. Lol. 

Yes it is a mod. You use it to see people's win and it's not uncommon to see people in the sub 40's and even sub 30's win rates. I used it once and stopped. I'd rather not know how bad the tm I'm getting. If I have to do heavy lifting so be it.

[SUCIT]
Members
116 posts
10,784 battles

It is true that the individual tends to forget that their actions may accidentally contribute to a defeat. But there is one thing I think WG can improve on. That is potential damage. Battleships have the power to contribute so much to the team in terms of potential damage yet are not rewarded for "tanking." Taking hits for your team is good for your team, but is not rewarding at all. Taking a lot of potential damage can be just as important for a team as dealing damage. Therefore I believe when exp is calculated, the amount of potential damage should be considered. I'm not saying you should be getting a lot of exp, just a bit. Additionally maybe add achievements for "tanking." Like give an achievement for tanking 2 million potential damage and another one for 3 million.

[WOLFC]
Members
582 posts
1,626 battles

I honestly think some people just do not care on getting better. I tried, TRIED (in a polite manner for once) to get my team to stay in cap to win, but they just sailed outside following enemy ships and trying to get kills. 

Members
2,853 posts
11,874 battles
On 3/13/2019 at 12:35 PM, Shenanigans_Abound said:

I posted this as a reply to someone a few minutes ago but since it’s going to get buried I wanted to make sure more people could see it. 

Another loss where I played terrible.  :cap_wander:

image.thumb.png.f32ef7d502cedd7164c0f839393ca883.png

and only 2.9 million potential damage.

image.thumb.png.e155efb4d63afc941c9228bea3a275d9.png

Edited by CaptainTeddybear

[MIA-E]
Members
2,749 posts
7,608 battles
1 hour ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

Play enough and you'll get games like that. It's how the game works. 

If you play at that level consistently (and aren't just farming damage) you will win a significant percentage of the time.

[NOOBS]
[NOOBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
588 posts
13,056 battles
17 hours ago, iKami said:

Captains,

Communication, if asked as a question seems to get some results, directing people to do things falls on deaf ears.  Personally, I play the game to win every time, rarely do I yolo except in extreme cases of futility.  

[BEARS]
Members
225 posts
4,924 battles
4 hours ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

image.thumb.png.f32ef7d502cedd7164c0f839393ca883.png

and only 2.9 million potential damage.

image.thumb.png.e155efb4d63afc941c9228bea3a275d9.png

First off, good game. Secondly, as someone already said play enough games and it’s going to happen. Watched a video the other day that panzerknacker shared and the guy had 469k dmg in his republique and a loss. Here’s a game I played in my Worcester about 4 months ago (before I chnaged my name)  can’t win them all  

8D673E9F-BAF2-48EA-B89D-C5DACB5C265A.jpeg

Members
5 posts

And lets not forget the DD players that, despite having the best concealment of any ship, usually only being detectable at approx 6km +/- absolutely refuse to scout. The result is the cruisers having to fill the role, being detected by multiple ships at 10-14km and having a potentially very short lifespan if they dont gtfo in a hurry. I realize a lot of this occurs with inexperienced players but when you point out their roll and superior concealment they either ignore or reply with salt. When I see this occurring now, i withdraw my  cruiser support from the camping DD and venture towards identified targets. I don't expect DD drivers to yolo in but their is a reasonable expectation of them to spot the enemy while protecting their butt and setting up for torps engagement. 

Edited by Some_sink_wrong83
spelling

[WOSV]
Members
435 posts
2,544 battles

This particular fossil of a meme comes to mind.

Spoiler

Related image

It's frustrating because whenever you try to get these poor lost ducks in a row they get pissy with you or just don't listen at all.

So that means the only way to seemingly win games, or even just lose without getting blown out is becoming a one-man Army (or one-ship Navy in our case) to carry your team to the finish line. One-Man Armies are for single player games, if you ask me. It doesn't matter if you have Antonio Brown as your Wide Reciever. If you don't have a decent QB or a good O-Line, he's worthless, only able to offer sparse flash-plays early in the game.

I mean, sure, there are plenty of things that us as individuals could have done better for the team, but when a flank of 8 ships just stops and dies to 2 DD and a British CL, what else could you have possibly done? How is anyone supposed to salvage that? If your teams wants to lose, they will. And for some reason, they seem to always want to lose. But, then again, we could be overreacting a bit, right? 

Members
191 posts
13,629 battles
1 hour ago, Some_sink_wrong83 said:

And lets not forget the DD players that... absolutely refuse to scout. 

Since the CV re-work, scouting / spotting is now the primary function of the CV.

As a DD player, I choose not to be suicidal by interfering in the CV's role. There is a much greater need for me to be alive and healthy for the end-game.

If you're attempting to scout or spot with a cruiser, then good heavens, that's even more suicidal, and it's only going to get your ship taken out of the game quickly.

Which may or may not help your team, depending on how bad or good of a player you are. In my case, it's better for my team if I'm still around, and in fighting shape, at the end of the match.

Edited by Ziggy_Sprague

[PQUOD]
Members
1,076 posts
7,701 battles
23 hours ago, Ziggy_Sprague said:

Since the CV re-work, scouting / spotting is now the primary function of the CV.

As a DD player, I choose not to be suicidal by interfering in the CV's role. There is a much greater need for me to be alive and healthy for the end-game

:Smile_great::Smile_great::Smile_great::Smile_great::Smile_great::Smile_great:

[CSALT]
Members
500 posts
On 3/13/2019 at 2:17 PM, Botcha said:

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not by WG but MANY times I get a game with foreign speaking teammates (Reds also have those in the same match) That SEVERELY limits any tactical team play planning. Don't just say "Use the ingame short messages" because you know what...they are in English as well. 9 times out of 10 those players will not follow your lead or offer any assistance, they just sail off with their "Brethren?" and fail miserably doing so. And 9 times out of 10 I'll be in the top 3 positions trying to carry but just can't communicate at critical times. 

The text may be in english, but the voice over that goes with it can be in many languages.  Even the written portion of the ingame messages could be in at least English, Spanish or Portuguese on their screen.

A high final team position doesn't always mean you played the best you could've for the team.  The way Wargaming decides on XP, I feel, encourages more individual play than team play.  It frustrates me, but I also benefit from it at times.  If you and you're teammate both decide to act on your own individual strategies instead of a single group strategy, then you're all equally stubborn.  Them not doing what you want is not different to you not doing what they want, but this is a whole other topic.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,812 posts
1,529 battles
On 3/15/2019 at 9:09 PM, Snargfargle said:

You can't ban the matchmaking monitor because it doesn't give you any information that WG doesn't give you itself -- all it does is compile the stats for the current match in such a way as to make it easier to find them. Furthermore, WG itself was the one that released the stats variables that can be queried in their modding info.

You can find the MMM with a simple search.

WG could fix it...just make all stats private; i.e. remove the API links.  Anyone can see their own, and/or they can link their stats to others if they want to show them off.  But no 3rd-party website access.

The unicums could show off their cool purple links, and the rest of us could laugh while they do it.  (Laughing because they actually think we care...)

Edited by mavfin87

[CSALT]
Members
500 posts
On 3/13/2019 at 4:43 PM, dEsTurbed1 said:

Knowing when to change your tactics is something hard for me to understand....

That is indeed the trick.  Like knowing when that moment comes in the battle to be aggressive and PUSH is.  Push too early and you die.  Push too late and, well lol, it is too late.

Paying attention to the map and seeing that you need to change your tactics/strategy or it is the opportune moment (in the famous words of Captain Jack Sparrow) are the real test of skill in this game.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,952 posts
7,296 battles
On 3/15/2019 at 10:03 PM, AlcatrazNC said:

MM Monitor is just an app that shows you the stats of the player in the ship he's playing. It doesn't show overall stats

Some MM monitoring programs do.

On 3/16/2019 at 3:30 AM, Kanak_Unconquerable_hero said:

Battleships have the power to contribute so much to the team in terms of potential damage yet are not rewarded for "tanking."

We do get credits and XP for potential damage. WG has confirmed this a while back.

[PSP]
Members
8,038 posts
3 hours ago, mavfin87 said:

The unicums could show off their cool purple links, and the rest of us could laugh while they do it.  (Laughing because they actually think we care...)

I've always been interested in the psychology of people here in America who proclaim that we are all equal yet still call spectator sport players and popular singers and even some gamers their "heros." Many of these so-called heroes are arrogant rear-ends. There is pride in being able to do something that's hard to accomplish but it's just being a jerk if you throw it into someone's face.

I've met some actual heroes and you'd never know it because they never talked about themselves. I once resuscitated a guy when I was working at a burn center who had stopped breathing because a nurse gave him too much morphine. He had severely burned arms and was there getting a series of skin grafts. I asked what his story was and it turns out that he was an executive at a refinery. There was an explosion and fire but instead of running to safety like all the rest of the head office staff did, he ran into the fire and pulled people out until the skin burnt off his hands and he collapsed from smoke inhalation. They said he'd saved six people that day. Now, there's a hero for you. I wonder if he wears a purple shirt when out on the golf course.

Members
29 posts
820 battles

Random mm wr and enjoyment would increase significantly if WG would implement an imediate ban on reported players from showing up in the next or future matches of the reporter.

This is done in many games and is simply wonderful. Blizzard entertainment for one has this feature.

[ONAVY]
Members
986 posts
7,228 battles
On 3/15/2019 at 2:54 PM, iKami said:

Captains,

ACT....failure to Act causes losses...using the "Focus Fire" helps a lot more than people realize...it gives direction and purpose.

''Fratres! Three weeks from now I will be harvesting my crops. Imagine where you will be, and it will be so. Hold the line. Stay with me. If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead! Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity. ''

Edited by C_D