You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Shenanigans_Abound

The real truth about your blowout losses

146 comments in this topic

[DANKY]
Members
694 posts
1,963 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

His team eventually lost as it was always down by a cap and a couple of ships but one good player standing can also prevent a rout, just as one hero standing on the battlefield can (well, a classical battlefield, that is, now some private would just shoot the hero from 500 meters away and that would be that.)

One hero? Classical battlefield? Dude. 

[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,591 posts
1,097 battles

It's luck, you just happen to have more play4fun teammates than the other team.

Members
386 posts
7 hours ago, Shenanigans_Abound said:

You all assume the blowouts are because of bad MM instead of looking at either your play or how your team mates played instead you try to find a reason to justify the blowout for anything but bad team play (I know as well as anyone the MM isn’t perfect but it succeeds 99 percent of the time)

Utterly false and complete nonsense.   Here’s proof.  

After every match check the win % of the top 3 or top 5 and calculate the average.  Almost every time the winning team has a higher average win %.  That’s called a broken MM as outcomes are being determined before the match starts.  

More proof: there’s no way you’d so often see teams where half of one try to cap and only a couple of the other team try to cap  

So it needs to be fixed.  If you have 24 players that come to play a sporting event, you split up the skilled players and split up the less skilled players so you have an interesting match.  You dont instead put most of the skilled on one (just because they’re friends for example a.k.a. Divisions) and most of the less skilled on the other.   That sets up a predetermined outcome and there’s no point. 

You can tell during the early part of a game of one side has more of these skilled players when half their team tries to cap while only 1 or 2 of yours does likewise.   Already you can see the most likely loss coming.  

WG needs to fix it to split up the win % so the average of both teams are as close as possible.

For many years these people with higher win percents using percents to gloat about their skill and the lack of skill of others, now they’re scampering to try pretending win percent now means nothing or that  changing it won’t fix the problem, or that there just isn’t a problem.  That’s rich.  

What a shame if now you’re no longer having stacked teams and being handed predetermined wins and instead will be getting as many losses as wins because finally the matches will be (gasp!) balanced. 

[BEARS]
Members
225 posts
4,924 battles
2 hours ago, LookUpAndSpit said:

uhhh how about no?

I will be toxic to braindead players just going in and suiciding.

than I guess thats your choice, that would put you in the category of player who will continue to complain about brain dead teams but do nothing to help those players get better which in turn leads to complaining more :D

[BEARS]
Members
225 posts
4,924 battles
2 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Communication has nothing to do with routs.  Look at King of the Sea tournament.  There you arguably have some of the best communication possible but there are still one sided matches.

good grief that looked so horrible after i wrote it so i had to re word this

so a team that is working together and communicating has just as good of a chance of being blown out as a team that is silent the entire game with zero teamwork? i would guess the odds would be in favor of the team that is actually working together and talking as opposed to team that isnt... obviously there can still be blow outs either way but the way i read what you said, i took it as communicating has no bearing or effect on the games result either way, so are you saying that the games are pre- determined then? because that would be the only logical conclusion to what you said... by all means correct me if im wrong or misinterpreted  what you said.

edit- kinda cool to see you comment, love your reviews and content. 

Edited by Shenanigans_Abound

[BEARS]
Members
225 posts
4,924 battles
20 minutes ago, SeigeTank2010 said:

Utterly false and complete nonsense.   Here’s proof.  

After every match check the win % of the top 3 or top 5 and calculate the average.  Almost every time the winning team has a higher average win %.  That’s called a broken MM as outcomes are being determined before the match starts.  

More proof: there’s no way you’d so often see teams where half of one try to cap and only a couple of the other team try to cap  

So it needs to be fixed.  If you have 24 players that come to play a sporting event, you split up the skilled players and split up the less skilled players so you have an interesting match.  You dont instead put most of the skilled on one (just because they’re friends for example a.k.a. Divisions) and most of the less skilled on the other.   That sets up a predetermined outcome and there’s no point. 

You can tell during the early part of a game of one side has more of these skilled players when half their team tries to cap while only 1 or 2 of yours does likewise.   Already you can see the most likely loss coming.  

WG needs to fix it to split up the win % so the average of both teams are as close as possible.

For many years these people with higher win percents using percents to gloat about their skill and the lack of skill of others, now they’re scampering to try pretending win percent now means nothing or that  changing it won’t fix the problem, or that there just isn’t a problem.  That’s rich.  

What a shame if now you’re no longer having stacked teams and being handed predetermined wins and instead will be getting as many losses as wins because finally the matches will be (gasp!) balanced. 

all i can say is and or do is refer you to what @Femennenly said earlier about MM i forget what the original post was, i do believe it was the "why im not playing anymore" or something along those lines, post. the way she explained the way MM is far better than ill ever be able to

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,686 posts
8,169 battles
54 minutes ago, Shenanigans_Abound said:

so a team that is working together and communicating has just as good of a chance of being blown out as a team that is silent the entire game with zero teamwork?

Don't equate blow outs with winning.  They are completely separate things.  A team that communicates well is more likely to win but communication has little to nothing to do with the quality of said win.

• Cool 1

[BEARS]
Members
225 posts
4,924 battles
22 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Don't equate blow outs with winning.  They are completely separate things.  A team that communicates well is more likely to win but communication has little to nothing to do with the quality of said win.

I see what you’re saying now. Makes sense. 

[BUOY]
Members
574 posts
4,395 battles
3 hours ago, Shenanigans_Abound said:

than I guess thats your choice, that would put you in the category of player who will continue to complain about brain dead teams but do nothing to help those players get better which in turn leads to complaining more :D

nope. i give the players advice on how not to suicide. if they dont listen its not my fault.

I stopped playing solo ages ago. so now I dont even complain. me and my div usually carries the team so we win most of  the time. cant do much about braindead people who play the game just for the sake of only playing a game

[BEARS]
Members
225 posts
4,924 battles
10 minutes ago, LookUpAndSpit said:

nope. i give the players advice on how not to suicide. if they dont listen its not my fault.

I stopped playing solo ages ago. so now I dont even complain. me and my div usually carries the team so we win most of  the time. cant do much about braindead people who play the game just for the sake of only playing a game

Oh I understand. Unfortunately there are players who will still be dumb and ignore your advice even when it’s good. Can’t fix stupid but you can try and help at least. 

My win win rate actually started going up considerably once I started playing solo. I play in divs a lot too but more often than not when I’m solo I seem to win more. Most divs I do are for div drops and to have fun. 

[-GDP-]
2,591 posts
1,097 battles

Actually this just means you are not skillful enough to carry the dead weights in your team so it's your fault. 

[NFE]
Members
144 posts
2,876 battles
17 hours ago, Eugenie_101 said:

To be honest I’d bet that my average damage is higher when we lose the match. It means my team left me more reds to shoot at. 

This is my thinking, as well.

[DAB]
Members
1,995 posts
6,867 battles
On 3/13/2019 at 7:16 PM, Shenanigans_Abound said:

Unless the entire team is occupied by the best  players in the game your argument holds no logic. Plus it contradicts itself. If all the best players are put on one team then matchmaking failed but if they lose to a blowout then matchmaking failed. 😂 sounds to me like you just want to complain. 

Pot calling the kettle black here. Why would the enemy team have to have the best players? Why not just better players?

There's no contradiction either. I never said anything about a proportion of good players being on one team or another, nor did I say anything about what defines matchmaking failure. I said that the best players still have blowout losses. In other words, if having a >60% solo WR isn't enough to stop complete roflstomps from occurring (and that goes both ways), then you can't just tell everyone worse that they only have themselves to blame.

Looks like you're just trolling.

Members
808 posts
9,352 battles

Most blowout losses I have suffered are caused by just a few major issues the seem to be recurring themes:

• 1 or 2 teammates who over extend (YOLO RANGER) early in the game, die needlessly and give the red team and early advantage
  • DD's that rush a cap with no support (or approach with caution and are left with no support) and then you are 1 or 2 DD's down right away.
  • NO coordination at all and the team splits at match start as every team member chases their own agenda.  Enemy team picks them off one-by-one.
  • The team takes one cap on a flank and the entire team decides to pretty much camp that cap for the rest of the game and any team member that attempts to be productive is left to die alone.

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
725 posts
On 3/14/2019 at 6:53 AM, freggo said:

and it is THEIR fault that you apparently speak only one language ?

and before you say North AMERICAN server, there are at least 3 languages commonly spoken in NA :-)

and people wonder why I dont take their advice to go play on the asian server.

I only speak one of the dozens of languages spoken there.

[-GDP-]
2,591 posts
1,097 battles

Even if we speak the same language, bads will still do those things as they play4fun.

Members
51 posts
835 battles
On 3/13/2019 at 2:39 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Language has nothing to do with potato games.  I can find Potatoes regardless of language, nationality.

Player actions are what win / lose games.  You can be in an Overpowered ship but do dumb things to get the team to lose.  There have been players winning in mediocre, awful ships because they play correctly.

One of the first obstacles to getting better with the game is being able to honestly tell what went wrong after you got sunk, and any decision making you did that led to that.  If not, you keep on doing the same dumb mistakes and the Battles played keeps on getting higher with no improvement.

If things went to sh*t, you have to be able to honestly assess yourself if you were part of contributing to that sh*t show.

Key word.  "assess".  This implies the native ability or the Grace to accept that "yourself" is/was part of the problem.  Or was part of the problem as it were.

How much of that is really out there?  Not much.

Good post!

[BEARS]
Members
225 posts
4,924 battles
On 3/13/2019 at 3:17 PM, enderland07 said:

This isn't correct at all.

I have found the better I get at battleships, the less often I fire.

^ this is correct, i consider myself a BB main and I've learned over time its not about the amount of rounds put down range but rather the effectiveness of the rounds put down range. I.e. wait for that cruiser to start that turn, wait for that cruiser or BB to come around an island. If i have an opportunity to shoot at a bow on cruiser but i see another cruiser about to come around an island in the next 15 seconds who is oblivious to me, better believe i'm waiting for Mr. oblivious to come steaming from behind that island. lol

[BEARS]
Members
225 posts
4,924 battles
48 minutes ago, Duma said:

Key word.  "assess".  This implies the native ability or the Grace to accept that "yourself" is/was part of the problem.  Or was part of the problem as it were.

How much of that is really out there?  Not much.

Good post!

I always spend a few seconds after death (if possible) and ask myself 1- Was I too far away? 2- Was my positioning bad in relation to the team and the enemy? 3- did i put myself in an unwinnable spot?4- was my death a result of tunnel vision?  but after all that i always pay attention to how the remaining team was playing and go with a decision based on that. It honestly only takes a few seconds to ask yourself those questions and since i started doing it my game play IMO has gotten better, im more careful about where i put myself and my win rate has gone up about 3 percent in about 600 games but with 4300 played that a pretty big jump in WR

• Cool 1

[CHBK]
Members
398 posts
2,311 battles
On 3/13/2019 at 12:35 PM, Shenanigans_Abound said:

I posted this as a reply to someone a few minutes ago but since it’s going to get buried I wanted to make sure more people could see it. 

You all assume the blowouts are because of bad MM instead of looking at either your play or how your team mates played instead you try to find a reason to justify the blowout for anything but bad team play (I know as well as anyone the MM isn’t perfect but it succeeds 99 percent of the time) Now before the hate train starts on this keep in mind, some people know it’s a team based game that requires communication but a lot of people don’t, if the community would just take some time away from being toxic to bad players or misunderstanding players and help them understand what they might need to do differently in the future maybe this problem will slowly fix itself. The in game chat feature is supposed to be used for in game communication of battle plans but sadly 95 percent of the time it’s used for name calling and stat shaming( I’m just as guilty of it too in moments of extreme frustration)  sometimes players forgot an odd quirk of in game chat allows you to talk when you’re dead, call out enemy ships etc.. sometimes people get tunnel vision and don’t watch the map but you can if you’re dead, People claim they want better teams but don’t take the few minutes after they’re dead to help out that player who may not know what they’re doing wrong or what they did wrong. But I’m sure the general response to this will be “I never die my team does” like you’ve never been killed in a game before and if that’s your first thought then that’s part of the problem as well. People are so concerned with Kdr and staying alive like there is some sort of benefit... there isn’t. An afk yammy for entire game will have the same resupply charge as a yammy that did 250k but died, you living accomplishes nothing. I personally have no problem dying for the benefit of a win or contesting if it gets towards the ultimate goal of a victory but a lot of people do and that’s a problem in and of itself.  

edit- yeah i had a total brain collapse and originally named this loses- obviously not correct.. it happens and its been corrected :D

I think alot of peoples complaints about loss streaks is confirmation bias.  I think people are not noticing it when they get a win streak, but watch their streak like a hawk if they are losing.

Look at my recent win rate.  I've literally had entire play sessions where I didn't get a single win in this stretch, but over time, I still scrounge out decent win rates.

image.thumb.png.4645db6a1c1ac5fabc4cd3dcac2b872f.png

Members
51 posts
835 battles
9 hours ago, Shenanigans_Abound said:

I always spend a few seconds after death (if possible) and ask myself 1- Was I too far away? 2- Was my positioning bad in relation to the team and the enemy? 3- did i put myself in an unwinnable spot?4- was my death a result of tunnel vision?  but after all that i always pay attention to how the remaining team was playing and go with a decision based on that. It honestly only takes a few seconds to ask yourself those questions and since i started doing it my game play IMO has gotten better, im more careful about where i put myself and my win rate has gone up about 3 percent in about 600 games but with 4300 played that a pretty big jump in WR

Totally.  I only play PvE but I know exactly when I potato.  I know exactly why I potato'd.  I try to avoid doing those things again.  If I could neg rep myself on those occasions I likely would.

[ONAVY]
Members
986 posts
7,228 battles
On 3/13/2019 at 1:15 PM, crzyhawk said:

They should be trying to melt the barrels, not camping islands like cruisers or trying to be kewl and "outflank" the enemy.  Slow USN BB's aren't going to out flank jack squat.

I love the melt the barrels speech...if a BB spawns on the edges he should never let anyone slip past him or her but once that flank is secured he can safely advance. Melt the barrels yep that's why ALL my BB's are secondary specd and use Radio Location on every ship I can get it on so it allows me to push the obj's and accumulate over 200+ secondary kills...you won't get that many secondary kills border huggin/island humping....I absolutely LOVE melt the barrels that is the essence of this game. +1 to you sir!

Members
20,838 posts
5,614 battles
On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 2:17 PM, Botcha said:

Don't just say "Use the ingame short messages" because you know what...they are in English as well. 

They appear in whatever language your client is set up for, just like port and in-game UI.

[_-_]
Members
1,590 posts
On 3/13/2019 at 2:17 PM, Botcha said:

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not by WG but MANY times I get a game with foreign speaking teammates (Reds also have those in the same match) That SEVERELY limits any tactical team play planning. Don't just say "Use the ingame short messages" because you know what...they are in English as well. 9 times out of 10 those players will not follow your lead or offer any assistance, they just sail off with their "Brethren?" and fail miserably doing so. And 9 times out of 10 I'll be in the top 3 positions trying to carry but just can't communicate at critical times.

While language can sometimes be an issue, it is by no means a guaranteed game-breaker.

I play a lot on the EU server. While the UK and stray NA players are native Anglophones, there are a ton of players from all over Europe. Everyone seems to work together just fine regardless of linguistics.

Edited by So_lt_Goes