You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Shenanigans_Abound

The real truth about your blowout losses

146 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
8,369 posts
10,641 battles
6 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

IF you could get the other 90% of the WoWS community to spend some time of the forums, then that would be the best start.  There are many people out there that are not competitive.  I have learned this many different times, through sports, board games and now computer games.  You cannot make a non competitive person competitive...you want to, they would have more fun, they would enjoy it!  But they do not, they play for FUN, and fun might mean charging the enemy, fun might mean playing the best they think THEY can, to learn to be better takes out the fun... I have seen this time and again.  I don't understand it... I think being competitive IS fun, to be better and get gud is FUN... but many don't ... you will never change them and if you harass them enough they will LEAVE...Not saying any of YOU reading this, we are here because we care about the game and we probably WANT to get better.  But face it folks... many players don't care, will not care and we are stuck with them.   Try to communicate in game, try and be competitive and try to have MORE fun.  CWs is for the competitive, and it works well that way, but to take that player base and say EVERYONE else has to be like us is a fallacy...the vast amount of people are NOT like  you.  Learn that and it gets a lot easier to figure people out.  Also there are young and old, who quite frankly do not have the skills yet or their natural physical ability now hampers them...one group may get gud, the other is just trying to hang on... they make up a good portion of our player base too.... some mentioned language barriers...valid point, some folks just will NEVER get it... I have led over 200 players in 3 clans it WoT and I know for a fact that I can explain something over and over and the player goes out and does the same mistakes... is the person dumb?  No, they just have trouble grasping, then get caught up on the moment and bad habits take over.  SO much goes into how a player plays this game...oh how many times do you read..."well I am so drunk now"  You can't drive cars well in RL, and you don't drive ships well inebriated...fact.  How about players on drugs?  There are a lot out there... are they better on drugs? I don't know...but it IS what we all deal with.   I try to instruct, I sometime get frustrated and say things I probably shouldn't but in the end I want everyone to play better....there probably is no solution for pubs.... just play.. do your best, encourage when you can, and have some fun!

Well at least non competitive people can be afforded to be cut from sports teams, and games like chess if a non competitive player fails in a chess tournament they simply lose and you will likely not have to play them again. Problem with online game like WOWs is unless you have enough competitive players to pay the bills, you will not have enough money to fund the games.

• Cool 1

[FAGA]
Members
302 posts
3,502 battles
1 minute ago, crzyhawk said:

When someone says "flanks" I assume 1 or 10 line moves, going around the outside of the cap.  In a slow battleship, getting stuck out there where there are no targets is bad.  BBs need to keep their guns firing as fast as they can.  They should be trying to melt the barrels, not camping islands like cruisers or trying to be kewl and "outflank" the enemy.  Slow USN BB's aren't going to out flank jack squat.

Totally agree. You do not want to get stuck in a slow moving tub on the edge of the battle field.

But a tip to DD drivers...

a. Do not rush FULL SPEED away if you want my support. I am SLOOOW, give me a change to heat up the boilers.

b. TELL ME what your plan is so I can start turning my molasses powered turrets to the right position!

• Cool 2

Members
1,555 posts
7,863 battles

Blowouts happen because that is how the game is designed. The first team to go 1 ship down has a greater chance of losing another ship, and so on. The opposing team suddenly has more guns on the field, making it all the more likely they will get another kill. It starts a cascade effect and by the time one team goes 3 ships down the match is essentially over b/c a deficit like that is almost impossible to overcome. 

• Cool 1

[MIA-E]
Members
2,749 posts
7,608 battles
2 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Blowouts happen because that is how the game is designed. The first team to go 1 ship down has a greater chance of losing another ship, and so on. The opposing team suddenly has more guns on the field, making it all the more likely they will get another kill. It starts a cascade effect and by the time one team goes 3 ships down the match is essentially over b/c a deficit like that is almost impossible to overcome. 

This is why divs of bad players are so harmful.

Three BBs going up the 10 line basically is the same as starting down 3 ships.

[PVE]
Members
15 posts
4,349 battles

Once you're dead, you lose all the keyboard shortcuts, and you can't point an enemy/area/capture point/home base. If someone is to follow your advice, he/she needs to actually stop watching the battle/minimap just to read the comment section. Even if the advice is useful, it's very distracting.

[FAGA]
Members
302 posts
3,502 battles
Just now, Lit199 said:

Once you're dead, you lose all the keyboard shortcuts, and you can't point an enemy/area/capture point/home base. If someone is to follow your advice, he/she needs to actually stop watching the battle/minimap just to read the comment section. Even if the advice is useful, it's very distracting.

if you are in a DD with a reload timed in seconds then yes.

But BB drivers typically use a calendar to schedule their next salvo so they have a moment to read a quick message.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,887 posts
12,189 battles
5 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

And this is why Belfast is so overpowered.  She's got the ability to assassinate a DD at the beginning of most matches, which is a huge swing in favor of the Belfast's team.  The longer a DD lives, the more powerful the DD becomes.  Belfast simply removes them from the board early.

[MIA-E]
Members
2,749 posts
7,608 battles
Just now, crzyhawk said:

And this is why Belfast is so overpowered.  She's got the ability to assassinate a DD at the beginning of most matches, which is a huge swing in favor of the Belfast's team.  The longer a DD lives, the more powerful the DD becomes.  Belfast simply removes them from the board early.

I mean, not really.

All British CA at tiers 8+ have the same ability.

The OPness of Belfast is the number of tricks in its toolkit, not any one specific tool.

• Cool 1

[BEARS]
Members
225 posts
4,924 battles
33 minutes ago, freggo said:

I was playing a Fuso yesterday and my DD and some CA player called me all sort of things that I did not follow my DD rushing into a cap but instead went a bit east to flank it.

(clarification... not 20km away to the border but to the EDGE of the CAP !!))

If I had followed him in I could support him with 4 guns, from the flank I fired 12

The DD and his CA friend both died, I finished first...

That wasn’t me by chance was it? I was in an Exeter and had a similar situation. DD ran in and died, I knew there was an enemy dd there and I told the fuso to break and hard right so he didn’t get torped and sure enough that advice saved the fuso from being torped, I went in after to try and kill the dd only to be torped myself but it exposed the enemy DD who was killed right after he killed me and we took the cap. I was okay with that because it cleared out the cap and in turn allowed us to take the cap. Died for a good cause in my mind. I doubt that was me though because I didn’t rant on the fuso because in my mind he made a good play using the island for cover and actually listening to the warning I gave save him. I do believe I comped the fuso for that play and I’m fairly certain I got one in return. 

Edited by Shenanigans_Abound

[FAGA]
Members
302 posts
3,502 battles
6 minutes ago, Shenanigans_Abound said:

That wasn’t me by chance was it? I was in an Exeter and had a similar situation. DD ran in and died, I knew there was an enemy dd there and I told the fuso to break and hard left so he didn’t get torped and sure enough that advice saved the fuso from being torped, I went in after to try and kill the dd only to be torped myself but it exposed the enemy DD who was killed right after he killed me and we took the cap. I was okay with that because it cleared out the cap and in turn allowed us to take the cap. Died for a good cause in my mind. 

Nope. Was a Mahan I think. He stormed in, got lit up by 2 CAs and a DD then started [edited] at me for not being behind him instead of smoking up and getting the hell out of there.

Fuso does 24kts with the wind from the rear... I killed all 3 reds by the time i got there. too late for him of course.

Edited by freggo
content correction

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
137 posts
8,563 battles
45 minutes ago, freggo said:

and it is THEIR fault that you apparently speak only one language ?

and before you say North AMERICAN server, there are at least 3 languages commonly spoken in NA :-)

You missed the point entirely...I didn't say you HAVE to speak only English on the NA server, I said that many of my blow-outs are when I'm with 5-6 others on my team that don't speak it. WG somehow knows how to lump all those players together and stick them on the same team...one that I'm trying to win with and don't because of the language barrier...further leading to a loss and control of their precious 50% W/L ratio cap for most accounts. Yes I said ACCOUNTS and not players, crap ton of players re-rolled to get a better ACCOUNT. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,885 posts

Very well written.

Had a game this afternoon in my Kitty.

I contested c cap, eventually solo capping it.

Keeping 2 enemy DD off it and harassing damage.

Unfortunately,  8 of my team died at a cap or contesting b cap.

The remaining members at c decided to chase a Neptune north....

Giving broadsides to the red team.

I need up last alive and run down.

Now I admit to keeping c secured and trying to spot destroyers,  so I was a little preoccupied. 

So when someone in chat said I let the team down by not doing my job, I had to think about it.

90k damage.

1 kill.

54k spotting damage.

548k potential. 

Knowing when to change your tactics is something hard for me to understand....

• Cool 1

[FAGA]
Members
302 posts
3,502 battles
19 minutes ago, Botcha said:

You missed the point entirely...I didn't say you HAVE to speak only English on the NA server, I said that many of my blow-outs are when I'm with 5-6 others on my team that don't speak it. WG somehow knows how to lump all those players together and stick them on the same team...one that I'm trying to win with and don't because of the language barrier...further leading to a loss and control of their precious 50% W/L ratio cap for most accounts. Yes I said ACCOUNTS and not players, crap ton of players re-rolled to get a better ACCOUNT. 

Fair enough, my apologies.

As for that darn MM, I don't know what WG is doing there but that thing sure is not random.

Edited by freggo
spelling fix

[BGSAG]
Members
1,577 posts
8,068 battles
2 hours ago, Botcha said:

Don't just say "Use the ingame short messages" because you know what...they are in English as well. 

Umm, I don't know if you know this, but if you have your UI set on YOUR language, all of the port UI, notifications, and yes, the in-game chat keys will be in your chosen language.

Spend a few minutes watching any non-english Twitch streamer and you'll see that.

Beta Testers
1,443 posts
8,870 battles
19 minutes ago, Botcha said:

Maybe you should learn Spanish, and stop being a drag on your teams.

[BEARS]
Members
225 posts
4,924 battles
51 minutes ago, Botcha said:

I think you’re exaggerating greatly the number of times you’ve been in games with players who don’t speak English as well as GREATLY exaggerating the number of players that don’t speak English. In almost 5k battles played I’ve never seen more than a couple on my team maybe once every 20-30 games. In the past month which has about 200 plus battles played only one time I’ve had team mates that didn’t speak English. Maybe I’m wrong and you’re just unlucky or playing at a different time than me but I call non sense on those numbers. 

[CHBK]
Members
398 posts
2,311 battles
2 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

If you team loses one ship quickly at start, usually a DD, you may get by.  Lose 2 in the first two or three minutes through poor decisions and you've lost 1/6 of your team and that can be a tough row to hoe.

I generally find DDs are the very worst ships to lose early on.  Had a game yesterday, we lost our 3 DDs they lost 3 cruisers at the outset.  I knew it was over for us at that point, there wasn't much radar on either side and no CVs.  Its very difficult to pull out a win when you lost your DDs and your team is basically open season for their DDs.  2 of their DDs were top of the team and all 3 had 7 kills between them.

[FAGA]
Members
302 posts
3,502 battles
46 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

Maybe you should learn Spanish, and stop being a drag on your teams.

Qué ?   ;-)

[FAGA]
Members
302 posts
3,502 battles
14 minutes ago, Shenanigans_Abound said:

I think you’re exaggerating greatly the number of times you’ve been in games with players who don’t speak English as well as GREATLY exaggerating the number of players that don’t speak English. In almost 5k battles played I’ve never seen more than a couple on my team maybe once every 20-30 games. In the past month which has about 200 plus battles played only one time I’ve had team mates that didn’t speak English. Maybe I’m wrong and you’re just unlucky or playing at a different time than me but I call non sense on those numbers. 

Yep. Same here.

The only time I have language issues is when I play Gneisenau. Got Admiral Hipper on her and she insists on talking japanese to me.

Cute as she is it makes for difficult communications.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,362 posts
10,013 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Well at least non competitive people can be afforded to be cut from sports teams, and games like chess if a non competitive player fails in a chess tournament they simply lose and you will likely not have to play them again. Problem with online game like WOWs is unless you have enough competitive players to pay the bills, you will not have enough money to fund the games.

Agree on the cutting... but I would suggest that non competitive players may spend a lot more money on this game than you think, may even spend more than competitive players.  I know some that buy every premium, just to have every ship in the game, they are your historical crowd...and a crowd that WG seems to care about a decent amount.

[H_]
Members
1,251 posts
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

And, even if you did have sufficient numbers of good players, MM only aligns ships  and that doesn't infer skill matching at all........  I've seen matches with the 55%+ players doing stupid things to benefit themselves so that "they win".....  And, complete noobs driving advanced ships.....    Admiral, I suspect that this will remain an arcade game; where money, drives the quality; and. it seems that arcade players out number the WW2-esk historic players several to one..... 

I try to be better each and every game; and, have moved into COOP just about full time till the "transition to a pure arcade game" completes itself....  Then, maybe, we will have another good discussion about this topic.

[BEARS]
Members
225 posts
4,924 battles
23 minutes ago, freggo said:

Yep. Same here.

The only time I have language issues is when I play Gneisenau. Got Admiral Hipper on her and she insists on talking japanese to me.

Cute as she is it makes for difficult communications.

Lol. I have the same issue with her. The first time I played a ship with her on it it scared me because the volume was up to loud and I thought someone was playing something in the background... nope... just my dumb- self forgetting about captains. 😂 always cracks me up now every time I play her. Her reactions to things like torps and being spotted are hilarious. 

[BEARS]
Members
225 posts
4,924 battles
5 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

And, even if you did have sufficient numbers of good players, MM only aligns ships  and that doesn't infer skill matching at all........  I've seen matches with the 55%+ players doing stupid things to benefit themselves so that "they win".....  And, complete noobs driving advanced ships.....    Admiral, I suspect that this will remain an arcade game; where money, drives the quality; and. it seems that arcade players out number the WW2-esk historic players several to one..... 

I try to be better each and every game; and, have moved into COOP just about full time till the "transition to a pure arcade game" completes itself....  Then, maybe, we will have another good discussion about this topic.

The important thing to remember here is, premium ships don’t come with premium players and that stock ship may be occupied by a great player out for lol’s and trolls. Never underestimate or over estimate your competition. 

[DAB]
Members
1,995 posts
6,867 battles

This is the nth time this thread has occurred somewhere on the internet and for the nth time, when the best players still have blowout losses that they can't do anything about, that means you can blame MM too.