You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Lex Takes on Tier 10

34 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
5,291 posts
16,601 battles

Here's a video of one of my Lex T10 games.  

My basic T10 strategy is to spot with Fighters early, and harass DDs.  I then look for the proverbial "low hanging" fruit with SBD and TBD...at the same time I still make spotting runs and continue to harass the DDs.  Note that I often shred flights down to the minimum I need in order to do whatever I'm doing.  Early on, I use only one flight of fighters for spotting.  If I get an option to make a run, I'll take it.  If my planes go yellow or red, I'll F key, and bring in another flight.

The biggest plane kill zone in most strikes is on the backside of the low hanging fruit.  So I only make the run in with the number of flights needed to get the shot off.  TBD runs on T10 BBs with backside CA support is an example.  If the opportunity presents itself, I'll use terrain.  One situation in the video below I'm able to make the majority of my torp run on a T10 BB with a mountain intervening.

Also, note I did get TBD "pounced" by the enemy CV.  In the old meta, this would have a decent payoff.  In the new CV meta, it doesn't pay.  In my case, I didn't even need to F-key return to my CV to set up a defense.  I just set a waypoint that turned into the TBD squadron.  Fighter defense launches are automatic, and the Lex AA is VERY good.  Nine TBDs drop like flies and all torps miss.  

Lastly, a T8 CV isn't going to carry in a T10 game.  Winning like this requires a good team around you.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
7,618 posts
12,480 battles
13 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Lastly, a T8 CV isn't going to carry in a T10 game.  Winning like this requires a good team around you.

CVs can still carry after the rework?  I haven't tried them yet, but the impression I get now is that they are more of a strong support ship than anything else (unlike the RTS days where a unicum CV player could easily carry a mediocre team to victory).

[CAST]
Members
4,862 posts
3,402 battles

Are you using Adrenalin Rush? I've seen a few people do this, but I'm trying to figure out why some players are dropping some ammo into the water right after launching squadrons.

[B_Y_F]
Members
478 posts
10,993 battles
24 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

this^

100+k and top the scoredboard is always possible for T8 CV in T10. 

The only problem is that if your team get crushed before they take out 1/2 of enemy ships HP, nothing you can do to save the day.

Members
4,034 posts
4,347 battles
8 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Are you using Adrenalin Rush? I've seen a few people do this, but I'm trying to figure out why some players are dropping some ammo into the water right after launching squadrons.

With ships being able to wipe out whole squads you minimize plane losses by attacking with one group. Thus giving you more attack opportunities in the long run since you'll now have more planes in reserve. 

[CAST]
Members
4,862 posts
3,402 battles
2 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

With ships being able to wipe out whole squads you minimize plane losses by attacking with one group. Thus giving you more attack opportunities in the long run since you'll now have more planes in reserve. 

But doing so greatly reduces your damage potential since it takes time to fly planes from carrier to the enemy. So in the end, it balances out I guess. Also note that less planes in the air means they'll get hit much harder by continuous damage AA auras as that damage is spread across planes evenly. The less planes you have, the more each individual plane gets hit.

[BS]
Members
1,916 posts
9,749 battles
34 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

But doing so greatly reduces your damage potential since it takes time to fly planes from carrier to the enemy. So in the end, it balances out I guess. Also note that less planes in the air means they'll get hit much harder by continuous damage AA auras as that damage is spread across planes evenly. The less planes you have, the more each individual plane gets hit.

But the main group itself isn't taking flak damage as it hangs out above and behind.

[CNO]
Members
5,291 posts
16,601 battles
1 hour ago, HorrorRoach said:

But the main group itself isn't taking flak damage as it hangs out above and behind.

The main group gets shredded on the backside of a drop in an AA rich environment.  Again, this is not always cut and dry situation.  I drop them in the early game because I'm pretty much guaranteed that DDs will have backside AA.  As the game progresses, I'll sometimes take two flights.  Or, I'll take three flights and go after an easy target, and then take the the other two after a defended target.  

For example, at one point in the video, I use all three flights of a TBD squadron.  I use one against a DD in smoke.  Then I take two against a T9 BB.  I need two because even though the BB is somewhat isolated, he (alone) can shred one flight before the drop, so i take two to guarantee the drop.

If the reds are playing smart and are grouped, then I can often hit a screen ship (a perimeter AA ship) with one flight.  If that's all they give me...I'll take it.

Against a lone low AA ships (e.g., Yamato is a good example) I'll take three TBDs because I can make TWO runs on an isolated Yamato.   But if the Yamato has support on the back side, I'll take only ONE TBD flight because that is enough to get the drop, which is all I'll get even if I take three.  (PSA Yamato drivers:  Don't go alone when a CV is in play...I see this a lot!!!  At least have backside support).  An isolated Yamato will get focused by the CV...even a T8 CV can mess you up.  

When I'm top tier, the option to go with two or three flights open up because there are more opportunities for multiple drops (where you have time to turn around and make another go outside the deadly AA bubbles).  

In the video I posted, I made one SBD run on the Tripitz.  I was running with three flights at the time...looking for opportunity.  The Tirp was on the perimeter, but had a lot of backside support.  I spotted the Tirp at 5:46 (video time tag) and by 5:51 had decided that would be my target and that two flights should do the job.  When I dumped one flight at 5:52, I was already getting ready for the run on Tirp.  As it turned out, I really only need one...but one of the drop flight was in red and could easily have been nixed before the drop.  Note all the backside planes were almost insta-deleted.  If I had taken the whole squadron in on the drop, the result on the Tirp would be the same, but I would be down three more planes.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,426 posts
17,867 battles

Good work Soshi and I do mean work. Many people are looking for easy mode, and to make any ship perform we captains must put in the effort. You are doing that!

Great game!

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,956 posts
4,343 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

CVs can still carry after the rework?  I haven't tried them yet, but the impression I get now is that they are more of a strong support ship than anything else (unlike the RTS days where a unicum CV player could easily carry a mediocre team to victory).

Not my experience,Tier 8 *USN* CV's can definitely carry Tier 10 games and their power exponentially increases as the game goes on. 

I have seen "in the bag games" with a 4 ship kill advantage turn on a dime after the CV sinks 3-4 ships. 

Another thing is that I have single handily turned games in our teams favor after a flank collapsed and I had 3-4 ships pushing into my position. The closer they get the more dangerous I become. 

last one I played like that I had a Zao, FDG and DD pushing into me on the left flank of Tears, I was position behind an island... The last ship ended up 5km away from me before he sunk. 

Point is... A well placed CV that is on a collapsed flank is like trying to catch a cornered animal.. It can get very nasty for those cornering..  

3 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

In my personal experience with the Lexington, I use the DB's as the opener / to hunt DD's. Much more effective IMO. 

Example below. 

[SYJ]
Members
124 posts
10,663 battles

Well I learned something - dumping planes before they even get to the target to save them for later. I'd not seen this before. Thanks

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles
3 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

3 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

What greatly reduces your damage potential it is getting deplaned. There is no reason to use a full squadron in an target if you know they are all going to die before the second attack. That is why you see some carrier players using the "reverse-f key method". Now if you see a target without support then you can use a full squadron.

[CAST]
Members
4,862 posts
3,402 battles

One area where I definitely agree with this tactic is when you need to attack a ship on the edge of a large deathball of ships since after a dropping, you typically end up flying right smack into the middle of that and losing all your planes. Mind you, deathballs are a known issue that even Wargaming thinks needs adjusting as it basically shuts down carriers exceptionally hard.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[NG-NL]
Members
6,035 posts
9,663 battles
1 hour ago, gatorken said:

Well I learned something - dumping planes before they even get to the target to save them for later. I'd not seen this before. Thanks

Definitely gonna use next time run Midway. Had no idea you could do that.

[B_Y_F]
Members
478 posts
10,993 battles
4 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Are you using Adrenalin Rush?

At up tire battles AR can be a surprisly good plane survivability skill.

It works out best when attacking an isolated good AA ship like Mino, DM or Monty. You can take a full-square and start an attack run just outside their mid range AA, Do your drop, and AR will kick in and allow your remaining planes run at 230+kt to get out their AA at the other side before being killed. You can't do a second run, but It significantly reduce plane lose if you do one drop at a time.

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,642 posts
1,149 battles
5 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

My basic T10 strategy is to spot with Fighters early, and harass DDs.  I then look for the proverbial "low hanging" fruit with SBD and TBD...at the same time I still make spotting runs and continue to harass the DDs.  Note that I often shred flights down to the minimum I need in order to do whatever I'm doing.  Early on, I use only one flight of fighters for spotting.  If I get an option to make a run, I'll take it.  If my planes go yellow or red, I'll F key, and bring in another flight.

The biggest plane kill zone in most strikes is on the backside of the low hanging fruit.  So I only make the run in with the number of flights needed to get the shot off.  TBD runs on T10 BBs with backside CA support is an example.  If the opportunity presents itself, I'll use terrain.  One situation in the video below I'm able to make the majority of my torp run on a T10 BB with a mountain intervening.

Also, note I did get TBD "pounced" by the enemy CV.  In the old meta, this would have a decent payoff.  In the new CV meta, it doesn't pay.  In my case, I didn't even need to F-key return to my CV to set up a defense.  I just set a waypoint that turned into the TBD squadron.  Fighter defense launches are automatic, and the Lex AA is VERY good.  Nine TBDs drop like flies and all torps miss.  

Nice work!

As the tier 8 cv in a tier X game you did a good job in supporting your team.

Keep it up.

• Cool 1

[RNDM]
Members
348 posts
6,798 battles

Last time I played my Lex in a tier X match, my mom who I was taking care of after her surgery asked me about a strange noise. She knows I like to play this game but she had never heard the planes in game getting shot down like that before. Long story short is that the sound of entire squadrons of planes getting shot down was somewhat concerning even though she only knows it as my "Ship game". Finally made it to Midway at tier X and feel so much better now.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,046 posts
19,789 battles

@iKamiunknown.png

My favorite view of my first Ranger game today.  You lived.

Edited by Warped_1

Members
116 posts
6 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Look someone had a lucky game in a CV I guess it's time for the HAMMER to come out!!

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles

This was a match with only 4 cruisers and all of their ships were somehow alone...

A good game, but you were lucky you didn't face clustered BBs and cruisers.

[CNO]
Members
5,291 posts
16,601 battles
5 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

They do this to shed flights off a full squadron to limit loses.  Most early games when I'm up against high tier ships, I'll shed two flights off my fighters and run spotting with one flight.  This limits my loses and also allows me to hit a target of opportunity without having to worry about losing an entire squadron in the early game.

As the game progresses, I'll often keep a complete squadron until I determine a target.  If I can get multiple passes, I'll take the whole squadron.  If I'm only going to get one pass (and can get the job done with one), I'l dump two.  If I need two for the first pass (and the risk is worth the reward), I'll take two.   If there are leap frog opportunities...that factors as well. 

Oh, and don't forget the Y key for T8 TBD.  Used effectively, you can get THREE passes on some targets or two passes on targets you might usually get only one pass on.

As for back side AA support (or simply one ship with good AA), it takes a good bit of time to extend after an attack...turn...and re-engage.  All this time the squadron is in the AA bubble.  This is where a lot of planes can be lost.  If you're going to lose flights in this zone, where they get to do nothing but die, then there is no use taking them there in the first place; that's how you get deplaned.  Send what you don't need home before you make that run. 

[CNO]
Members
5,291 posts
16,601 battles
11 minutes ago, ALROCHA said:

This was a match with only 4 cruisers and all of their ships were somehow alone...

A good game, but you were lucky you didn't face clustered BBs and cruisers.

One reason I like WOWS so much is there is a lot of variety of what you are up against.  Although there are basic concepts, each game delivers its own set of circumstances that you have to adapt to.  I've had a wide assortment of game types.  Part of the fun is figuring out how to crack the nut.  Figuring out what you can do to make a difference.  In my epicenter game, my first objective was simply to challenge the DDs...get them spotted...reset any cap points they had...and just keep them off balance.  Epicenter...you can pretty much guarantee finding a DD or two early.  The other opportunities just opened up as I executed that strategy.    

I've had games where there was a Yamato I was gunning for...but the wily reds were smart to keep AA support in range.  I couldn't get to him. Of course, as a game progresses, sometimes holes open up in the screen.  I'm always looking for those holes.

Had a game last night where I was really messing up a Colorado...just made two torp passes with most hits.  And I was coming back to give him THREE passes with a fresh squadron.  But either he called for help, or a Sims noticed he was in trouble, anticipated I would return, and the Sims EXPERTLY positioned himself along my line of flight, forcing me to go wide.  With the extra time he was able to get close enough to provide AA for the CO.  I got one pass amidst a rain of AA, and that was it.  Sims captain saved the CO.  Three passed would have done him in.  (Anecdotally, the Sims is a Kick Butt AA DD).  He might have saved the game.   

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles
22 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I've had games where there was a Yamato I was gunning for...but the wily reds were smart to keep AA support in range.  I couldn't get to him. Of course, as a game progresses, sometimes holes open up in the screen.  I'm always looking for those holes.

Yep, I'm also always looking for holes, sometimes It's too tight but sacrifices have to be made and I say good bye for half my squad but I sure do get into that little gap and deliver the load.

Usually against Cruisers camping behind islands, I force them to leave, friendly Yamatos does the rest of the job.