You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Zackattack8

Option to remove torrent updates.

8 comments in this topic

[TIGHT]
Beta Testers
7 posts
5,615 battles

Im a college student currently living in a dorm room and having to use college internet. Surprisingly, when playing the game I (usually) have zero problems. However the internet does have a quarantine system that will block any torrent streams...i.e no updates, patches, or any other changes to game. And of course, no update= locked out of game. There should really be a way to disable torrent updates in the WGC so that anyone who cannot use that system is still able to get onto the game.

I suggested this to wargamming support...oh a few months ago but I guess one person throwing a thought at them isnt good enough (and to be fair if no one else has this problem it shouldn't be high on their priority list). So Im starting this post to see if anyone is either:

A) having this problem or similar issue and would like to raise awareness of it to get wargammings attention 

or

B) if anyone knows any good workarounds and would like to make suggestions?

[90THG]
Members
539 posts
7,135 battles
11 minutes ago, Zackattack8 said:

Im a college student currently living in a dorm room and having to use college internet. Surprisingly, when playing the game I (usually) have zero problems. However the internet does have a quarantine system that will block any torrent streams...i.e no updates, patches, or any other changes to game. And of course, no update= locked out of game. There should really be a way to disable torrent updates in the WGC so that anyone who cannot use that system is still able to get onto the game.

I suggested this to wargamming support...oh a few months ago but I guess one person throwing a thought at them isnt good enough (and to be fair if no one else has this problem it shouldn't be high on their priority list). So Im starting this post to see if anyone is either:

A) having this problem or similar issue and would like to raise awareness of it to get wargammings attention 

or

B) if anyone knows any good workarounds and would like to make suggestions?

When it’s time for an update just hotspot your phone. It’s not like the updates or patches (for the most part) are overly large and they don’t come around very often so you don’t have to worry about chewing up your data package. If you don’t have a smart phone (hey not everyone likes them) find someone who does and offer them a few dollars or get a hotspot that charges per data usage and only use it for the updates, patches, etc.. probably not the answer you want but it’s probably the best you’re going to get. 

[LODGE]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,713 posts
4,948 battles

Try this....

The launcher update introduced a new configuration variable, to get the checkbox back make a backup copy of WoWSLauncher.cfg incase something goes wrong, and edit the original with notepad or another text editor.

only change the value of <display_seeding_mode> to 1

So <display_seeding_mode>0</display_seeding_mode> becomes <display_seeding_mode>1</display_seeding_mode>

And save.

When you launch the launcher it should have the checkbox back.

Note: breaking this cfg file will mean the launcher won't function properly and will try to redownload the entire game.

Note 2: There probably is a good reason as to why this option is hidden, modify at your own discretion

Credit to

IKU19

Taken from https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/54827-launcher-removed-the-opt-out-for-torrents-why/?tab=comments#comment-1345023

[TIGHT]
Beta Testers
7 posts
5,615 battles
On 3/13/2019 at 11:54 AM, Shenanigans_Abound said:

When it’s time for an update just hotspot your phone. It’s not like the updates or patches (for the most part) are overly large and they don’t come around very often so you don’t have to worry about chewing up your data package. If you don’t have a smart phone (hey not everyone likes them) find someone who does and offer them a few dollars or get a hotspot that charges per data usage and only use it for the updates, patches, etc.. probably not the answer you want but it’s probably the best you’re going to get. 

On 3/13/2019 at 11:57 AM, Poisonous_Lily said:

If you have a starbucks nearby, go there and download using starbucks WIFI

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys but...

You really dont understand how often updates occur until you find yourself locked out every two weeks or so. And while patches arent large, im getting updates that are about 1GB and I dont want to have to pay for that option with my carrier (but still nice suggestioin shenanigans)

And to you poisonous, my current plan is to go to Panera bread, however two problems occur. A) costs add up when you have to go repeatedly, which is why im knocking it down to only once or twice a month if I can help it (and with the cv patches going nuts right now Im just not even trying) and B) free public wifi at any retailer is typically EXTREMELY slow. Panera is the best Ive tried (including chik-fil-a, mcdonalds, and Barnes and Noble) so far in my area, and 230 kb/s is the average download speed...which puts me at about an hour or so for larger updates. Now starbucks MIGHT be better if it is an internet cafe....the only problem is I hate starbucks coffee lol.

[HINON]
Members
3,234 posts
24,109 battles

I was on the same bote as you. I uninstalled the wg center and have reverted to the original launcher and I am able to update normally. Let me know if you need a link for it.  

[WOLF6]
Members
388 posts
3,181 battles

@Zackattack8, disabling seeding won't fix your problem.  The game updates via torrent client; there is no direct download of updates, AFAIK.  Torrent is a peer-to-peer network protocol; if your connection interferes with or blocks torrent, it won't allow any portion, to include traffic down.

One way to get around your connection limits might be to use a VPN.  That will create a secure tunnel that masks the traffic, preventing your university firewall from blocking the torrent traffic.  Most free VPNs also don't like you using torrents, and have limited bandwidth, so you might have to find a VPN provider.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,607 posts
8,415 battles
44 minutes ago, ZoomieG said:

One way to get around your connection limits might be to use a VPN

This.