You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EraserNZ1

Shokaku AP bombs

12 comments in this topic

[RDS-A]
Beta Testers
102 posts
6,617 battles

I just was wondering how you guys are doing with the jap dive bombers, I just can,t seem to make them work, they are so unreliable most of the time dropping on cruisers I just get over pens most of the time often i would have been better off just using rockets for chip damage.

Are the shokaku's bombs just bad or is it tier 6-8 cruisers just so lacking in armor they can't arm? I have tried releasing the bombs at different stages of the dive with no change.

I have been doing great in cv's but just can't make the Shokaku's bombs work

Capture.JPG

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,190 posts
6,127 battles

Okay there's your first mistake, don't go for cruisers unless you can get a nice mid-section shot on something beefy like a Hindy or Alaska. Your assessment is right on the money for tier 6-8 cruisers, they just do not have the armor to arm the bomb in time so you get a nice hole like that first Tallboy that hit Tirpitz on the bow. AP DBs are a bit of a paradox right now because their prime targets also have pretty darn heavy AA. You know what I'm talking about: Battleships. Big ones. These things will get citadels on Bismarcks, Friedrichs and Kurfursts for DAYS. They are the bane of German battleships' existence, and every other battleship is scared of them too. You'll want to find a target (typically some brave soul leading a push), either dust him with rockets to take out some AA mounts or let your allies HE him a bit, and then go in for the kill. Works every time.

• Cool 1

[RDS-A]
Beta Testers
102 posts
6,617 battles

Kewl good to know thx for the reply, now back to the 1, 2 BB's t10 games in my shok lol

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
324 posts
7,168 battles

I got hit by Hak AP bombs in my HIV last night for 22-25k, so they do work (sometimes).

I am having the same issue with them though, they just seem on average to do far less damage than I hoped.

[SUCIT]
Members
321 posts
15,636 battles

I think it's maybe to do with accuracy and RNG?
I say this because I had Hakuryus just citadel me consistently in BBs and CAs alike. They do like 20-30k per salvo. Absolutely broken. This is why CAs like Minotaur should have been allowed to keep stealth firing AA to balance those broken planes.
But yeah, Shokaku probably has worse accuracy than Hakuryu because I've been citadelled to oblivion in a CA by a Hak in a salvo then he came back and only a few overpens. So Shokaku probably has worse accuracy compared to Hak. 

[PEEDZ]
Members
64 posts
15,341 battles

When you get to the haku it’s a whole nother story. The pen on those bombs are ludicrous. Just drop low for all targets and you’ll get rewarded for your efforts (planes ;-;). I agree the shokeks bombs are finicky, but the haku feels a lot better. I’ve played both t10 CVs (2650 PR for midway, 2450 PR for haku) and recently I’ve been flocking more to the haku. Much more meney fun (chunking a DM through defAA for 25.5k almost brings a tear to my eye).

• Cool 1

[KSD]
Members
78 posts
7,290 battles

Drop high on BBs, and low on cruisers.

You can citadel most cruisers in your MM spread, but it takes an insane degree of precision to do consistently.

• Cool 1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,883 posts
32,578 battles

You just have to pick your targets.  Hindenberg, Ibuki (oddly), Salem/DM, Alaska, Stalingrad and Moskva will all eat citadels.  just forget light cruisers.  T8 and below iffy at best.

Shokaku bombs are hard to drop and only 3 per flight.  However, landing 3 out of 3 citadels on a Bismarck :cap_horn:

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
844 posts
7,192 battles

I don't think that AP isn't worth the time to use.  When AP shells hit about 1/2, 3/4, or one hit wonder. When AP bombs hit it's 1/10 damage. That is when it's hit the Citadels. We should expect 1/4 when hit the citadel. But this is my option.  

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,492 posts
11,965 battles
59 minutes ago, TheHunter2_EAD said:

I don't think that AP isn't worth the time to use.  When AP shells hit about 1/2, 3/4, or one hit wonder. When AP bombs hit it's 1/10 damage. That is when it's hit the Citadels. We should expect 1/4 when hit the citadel. But this is my option.  

Umm, AP bombs are just like shells, you get 10% for an over pen, 50% for a penetration, and 100% on a citadel. Problem with AP bombs is, you're really unlikely to get a regular penetration, so for the Shokaku, you're getting 760 points on an overpen, or 7600 per bomb on a citadel. With RNGesus's personal involvement in dive bomber dispersion, it means that you can aim perfectly on a stationary target, leave no part of a ship not under the drop ellipse, and somehow manage to put one bomb in the water, one will over pen, and the third will manage to find the only piece of armor that it can bounce off of for a grand total of 760 points of damage, unlike torpedoes that if you pick your moment and aim right, you will  hit and get at least the base damage of the torpedo minus the torpedo defense of the target.

[WPP1]
[WPP1]
Beta Testers
727 posts
5,165 battles
On 3/13/2019 at 4:52 AM, EraserNZ1 said:

I just was wondering how you guys are doing with the jap dive bombers, I just can,t seem to make them work, they are so unreliable most of the time dropping on cruisers I just get over pens most of the time often i would have been better off just using rockets for chip damage.

Are the shokaku's bombs just bad or is it tier 6-8 cruisers just so lacking in armor they can't arm? I have tried releasing the bombs at different stages of the dive with no change.

I have been doing great in cv's but just can't make the Shokaku's bombs work

Capture.JPG

I'm not a great CV player but I get Cits pretty often. In fact the Shokaku is my fav CV due to its bombers.  In this game I got 2 in one strike on a CA from the side. Deleted him. I think what matters is how to account for the forward momentum of your own planes when dropping and where you hit the ship. I drop before my reticle is where i want because momentum will carry the bomb just in front of the crosshair in my experience. I also try and hit the smoke stack, tower, or behind the main battery on every drop, no matter the target. Hitting the front or back of any CA will almost always get an overpen. 

shot-19.04.05_13.15.35-0681.jpg