You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Zaydin

What 'legitimate tactics' do you hate seeing used?

52 comments in this topic

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,495 posts
9,311 battles

For me, aside from the cancer of HE spam, it's probably destroyers unloading their torpedoes in a knife fight with another destroyer. Just takes the fun out of the whole engagement in my personal opinion. Close range brawls can be some of the most fun and intense encounters in the game and that sort of thing just cheapens the entire experience IMO.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Members
1,524 posts
10,644 battles

If you're in a torp or even a hybrid DD versus a gunboat DD, it makes sense to use your strengths and torp. In an IJN DD I would lay some torps, smoke and use that smoke to evade.

Perhaps you're talking gunboat vs gunboat? Well, not all gunboats are created equal. Also, as something to think about, it's usually the DD that uses their guns first vs the DD that torps, then uses guns, that will win the engagement(barring bad aim, others interfering etc).

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,423 posts
3,068 battles

When my opponent hits me from the front for 20k, and my volley into their completely exposed broadside scores 4 pens, 3k, 3 non damage pens, 2 shatters and 1 bounce. 

Of course. 

• Cool 8

[SFOR]
Members
996 posts
7,846 battles

Me using smoke in the Kutuzov. The enemy is pushing hard , i smoke and start farming damage and they all retreat. It is so stupid for a cruiser with this firepower to have smoke.

[INTEL]
Members
11,804 posts
32,893 battles
1 hour ago, Zaydin said:

For me, aside from the cancer of HE spam, it's probably destroyers unloading their torpedoes in a knife fight with another destroyer. Just takes the fun out of the whole engagement in my personal opinion. Close range brawls can be some of the most fun and intense encounters in the game and that sort of thing just cheapens the entire experience IMO.

Strange way to think about it. I love knife fighting with DDs, and love to use torps and expect to get them in return. All part of the chess match of DD knife fighting.

That's one of the ways radar has screwed DDs that no one talks about -- the number of joyous knife fights for caps early in matches has dramatically declined because radar forces DDs out of caps or to not cap at all. I really miss knife fighting in DDs...

• Cool 1

Members
20 posts
708 battles
1 hour ago, Zaydin said:

too new at WoW to ask this perhaps, but here goes anyway. i am currently learning to play destroyers with the USS Samson and understand that it has good guns but it's torps are mediocre and only good at very very close range. if this is the case, why would a Sampson NOT use it's torpedoes in a "knife fight"? 

• Cool 2

[KWF]
Members
3,823 posts
5,581 battles
3 minutes ago, UnturnedLeaf said:

too new at WoW to ask this perhaps, but here goes anyway. i am currently learning to play destroyers with the USS Samson and understand that it has good guns but it's torps are mediocre and only good at very very close range. if this is the case, why would a Sampson NOT use it's torpedoes in a "knife fight"? 

The big argument against is that you need time to aim the torpedoes and aim them well in order to score a hit. In the meantime your opponent can get a pretty good health advantage from firing at you all this time, AND evade provided he uses some common sense. In the end firing torps in a knifefight is a gamble whereas using main battery is a guarantee.

• Cool 2

Members
20 posts
708 battles
6 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

The big argument against is that you need time to aim the torpedoes and aim them well in order to score a hit. In the meantime your opponent can get a pretty good health advantage from firing at you all this time, AND evade provided he uses some common sense. In the end firing torps in a knifefight is a gamble whereas using main battery is a guarantee.

thank you but i still don't see what the OP means by this taking the fun out of a knife fight. seems to me that if one chooses to take the time to aim his torps in lieu of firing his guns that the fun is still there just seeing if he could make this choice pay off! 

[KWF]
Members
3,823 posts
5,581 battles
3 minutes ago, UnturnedLeaf said:

thank you but i still don't see what the OP means by this taking the fun out of a knife fight. seems to me that if one chooses to take the time to aim his torps in lieu of firing his guns that the fun is still there just seeing if he could make this choice pay off! 

Beats me. I also enjoy these types of knifefight so dunno how this ain't fun :Smile_amazed:. The only way I can understand it is if you face a Shimakaze or a torpedo reload booster IJN DD that deploys 15-16 torps in your face.

Edited by warheart1992

[-SF-]
Members
317 posts
4,424 battles

Certain Japanese destroyers sitting in smoke spamming HE cancer... Though saying this I know I would be a HE cancer spammer in that position  

[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Beta Testers
715 posts

People shooting me with their cannons and killing me. I hate it when that happens.

Also fires.

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,780 posts
16,748 battles

The very nature of this thread reminds me of those French accusing the British of being so very unsporting for using longbows, or those Admirals calling submariners unsporting.

Use the tools available to win. Doing any less than that is .... stupid.

• Cool 4

Members
96 posts
434 battles

When the enemy DD knows exactly when and where i will smoke up and times his torps so that the moemnt I smoke up in that very spot, his torps arrive and there is no escape. 

Some players can do that every single time. 

Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
2 hours ago, Zaydin said:

I love it when they choose torp over guns... cant tell you the number of torp minded gearings my jutland has obliterated due to handling/acoustics while juking in close quarters... turns out the ability to speed, slow, turn, AND shoot wins out 9/10 of the time.

Members
2,257 posts
4,919 battles

I do get a little chuckle when i put 2 fires on a BB, see him pop repair, then i activate reload booster and set 2 more fires. I know hes mad.....

[-K-]
Members
7,674 posts
12,620 battles

Ships reversing or stationary all match. 

While it can be effective, I find it to be an utterly boring style of gameplay that I try to personally avoid.

• Cool 2

[FTH]
Members
1,001 posts
15,074 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

The very nature of this thread reminds me of those French accusing the British of being so very unsporting for using longbows, or those Admirals calling submariners unsporting.

Use the tools available to win. Doing any less than that is .... stupid.

Sounds like the saying they have down here..."'The Only Fair Fight is one you win"

[WOLF9]
Members
4,309 posts
3 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

When my opponent hits me from the front for 20k, and my volley into their completely exposed broadside scores 4 pens, 3k, 3 non damage pens, 2 shatters and 1 bounce. 

Of course. 

Aka: "Things that make you reach for the bottle..."

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
26,773 posts
6,780 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Ships reversing or stationary all match. 

While it can be effective, I find it to be an utterly boring style of gameplay that I try to personally avoid.

This.

It also damages immersion for me.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
1,119 posts
9,476 battles
3 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

When a Haragumo insists on rushing my Shimikaze, I  will  use smoke and torpedoes. My guns are basically useless in that battle. Flags from "It's Just A Fleshwound" are welcome, though.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
3,823 posts
5,581 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

When a Haragumo insists on rushing my Shimikaze, I  will  use smoke and torpedoes. My guns are basically useless in that battle. Flags from "It's Just A Fleshwound" are welcome, though.

Yeah, Shima and any IJN DD with TRB are exceptions to the rule since they have the luxury to saturate such close ranges with torps.

Edited by warheart1992

[SHAFT]
Members
737 posts
15,686 battles
20 minutes ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

Torps yes, the Haru turns like a tub and at mid to close range Shima has a speed and maneuverability advantage, especially if they are so fixated on getting all their guns to bear that they open up.

That being said never underestimate the power of the Shima's guns if you are forced into a brawl. While the ROF is mediocre, they are very accurate and hit hard with a good fire chance.

I just try to angle away and use the back two turrets switching between AP and HE while trying to open up the distance. I have been able to kill quite a few dds that way as they expected me to be turning to torp and instead found shells heading their way. Sometimes the additional two salvos you can get off is the difference between killing and be killed.