Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GandalfTehGray

Duke of York AA Values

13 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
826 posts
8,024 battles

Trying to knock out stage 5 of the Halsey campaign and they are absolutely shredding my Saipan flights. Wiki doesn't have the updated values so could someone tell me them please.  The mid/long range dps and flak puffs count/damage.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,785 posts
9,812 battles

DoY is one of those AA ships that is really scary early in the matches before she loses her short/mid mounts.

Short Range:0.1-1.5km, 818DPS, all at 65% accuracy.
Mid Range: 1.5-3.5km, 9 bursts for 700 damage, 539 continuous damage, all at 69% accuracy.
Long Range:  3.5-5.2km, 4 bursts for 1050 damage, 108 continuous damage, all at 69% accuracy.

If you take AA mod 1, the burst values go up by 2 each.  DoY definitely is not a ship you want to drop if you can avoid it, mainly because of her short and mid range auras.  Luckily she's weak to HE spam, and her mounts are mostly small single mounts which die easily.

• Cool 1

Members
1,691 posts
8,561 battles
19 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

DoY is one of those AA ships that is really scary early in the matches before she loses her short/mid mounts.

Mid Range: 1.5-3.5km, 9 bursts for 700 damage, 539 continuous damage, all at 69% accuracy.
Long Range:  3.5-5.2km, 4 bursts for 1050 damage, 108 continuous damage, all at 69% accuracy.

If you take AA mod 1, the burst values go up by 2 each.  DoY definitely is not a ship you want to drop if you can avoid it, mainly because of her short and mid range auras.  Luckily she's weak to HE spam, and her mounts are mostly small single mounts which die easily.

This a pretty accurate assessment. However certain durability specked tier 8s CVs can bully an isolated Duke of York at the start of the match. There usually isn't a need as she tends to get taken out in duels with other BBs or perish to HE spam, but it's something to consider.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,785 posts
9,812 battles
3 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

This a pretty accurate assessment. However certain durability specked tier 8s CVs can bully an isolated Duke of York at the start of the match. There usually isn't a need as she tends to get taken out in duels with other BBs or perish to HE spam, but it's something to consider.

Very true.  Isolated she's manageable even for Shokaku so long you dodge the flak, so I'd imagine a Lexington with her flying blobs of HP would fare much better.   Not sure about the RN T8 however, the high plane HP is offset by a relatively low plane per squad.  I pity the t6 that things they can get away with a drop though!

Members
1,691 posts
8,561 battles
6 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

Very true.  Isolated she's manageable even for Shokaku so long you dodge the flak, so I'd imagine a Lexington with her flying blobs of HP would fare much better.   Not sure about the RN T8 however, the high plane HP is offset by a relatively low plane per squad.  I pity the t6 that things they can get away with a drop though!

Implacable is so far my favorite of the tier 8s, though I don't have GZ. The plane hp more than offsets the low number of planes.

But that brings me to another point on the OPs post, I honestly think part of the problem is Saipan. The RN CVs just accomplish what Saipan seems to have been going for without out nearly as crippling drawbacks. For example the restoration time for aircraft on Implacable is significantly below that of Saipan. The planes aren't as quick but you can take a few losses where every single plane is precious in Saipan.

[PVE]
Members
826 posts
8,024 battles
5 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

Implacable is so far my favorite of the tier 8s, though I don't have GZ. The plane hp more than offsets the low number of planes.

But that brings me to another point on the OPs post, I honestly think part of the problem is Saipan. The RN CVs just accomplish what Saipan seems to have been going for without out nearly as crippling drawbacks. For example the restoration time for aircraft on Implacable is significantly below that of Saipan. The planes aren't as quick but you can take a few losses where every single plane is precious in Saipan.

I don't run out of planes very often in the coop matches, the hard part is lately every match is full of cruisers and aa destroyers that I have to spend 2 mins going around to get decent drops to stack up the bomb/torpedo hits.

Thanks Kenjister for the values , might just start hitting it with rockets first.

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,785 posts
9,812 battles
5 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

Makes sense.  I've been playing round with the Furious today and she seemed underforgiving mainly because of her relatively high restoration timers compared combined with low starting deck space.  Ranger gets 53 second restoration on her relatively tanky DBs, and identical timers on the TBs but Furious is stuck with... 110.  Nice to see the Implacable doesn't have that problem.  I've actually decided to run the stock TBs on Furious to see how they hold up and they're surprisingly good.  Lose 5% HP, 700 damage, and 10 knots cruise speed for -15 seconds on restoration.

As for OP, luckily Saipan is a premium which WG presumably wants to sell again once things settle down a bit.  I'm sure buffs will come her way, given how she seems to be rather unpopular in her current form.

8 minutes ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Thanks Kenjister for the values , might just start hitting it with rockets first.

No problem!  Rockets... might work?  I'm not familiar with how many rockets Saipan throws out, but unless it's Midway HVAR levels of rocket spam I doubt you'll knock out enough Oerlikons in a single pass to make it work.  DoY's mounts are almost entirely located in the center of the ship, so a good DB hit there might work wonders.

Members
1,691 posts
8,561 battles
3 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

Makes sense.  I've been playing round with the Furious today and she seemed underforgiving mainly because of her relatively high restoration timers compared combined with low starting deck space.  Ranger gets 53 second restoration on her relatively tanky DBs, and identical timers on the TBs but Furious is stuck with... 110.  Nice to see the Implacable doesn't have that problem.  I've actually decided to run the stock TBs on Furious to see how they hold up and they're surprisingly good.  Lose 5% HP, 700 damage, and 10 knots cruise speed for -15 seconds on restoration.

As for OP, luckily Saipan is a premium which WG presumably wants to sell again once things settle down a bit.  I'm sure buffs will come her way, given how she seems to be rather unpopular in her current form.

Torpedoes are the way to go on RN. The Implacable still gets similar reload penatlies as Furious but I the increased number of planes helps and the penalties aren't as bad as Saipan. For example Implacable reloads TBs in 93 seconds where on Saipan its a whopping 135

[PVE]
Members
826 posts
8,024 battles
22 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

No problem!  Rockets... might work?  I'm not familiar with how many rockets Saipan throws out, but unless it's Midway HVAR levels of rocket spam I doubt you'll knock out enough Oerlikons in a single pass to make it work.  DoY's mounts are almost entirely located in the center of the ship, so a good DB hit there might work wonders.

Problem is the refund window is only 2 more weeks. I think i'm gonna refund the Saipan, use some of the Doubleoons to get the Alaska, then grind from the Furious to the Impeccable and slap the free camo they just gave us on it if I need a cv for missions.

6 Tiny Tims per wave with the Saipan rockets

Edited by GandalfTehGray

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,785 posts
9,812 battles
2 minutes ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Problem is the refund window is only 2 more weeks. I think i'm gonna refund the Saipan, use some of the Doubleoons to get the Alaska, then grind from the Furious to the Impeccable and slap the free camo they just gave us on it if I need a cv for missions.

6 Tiny Tims per wave with the Saipan rockets

Oh yeah, forgot about that.  My only prem CV is the Kaga, and while she might still has some issues she's still entirely usable so I've decided to keep her.  It's too bad WG slowed down with the hotfixes for CVs.  I get why they're doing it, rushed changes generally end badly, but going with the current pace the refund window will close before 0.8.2, which may be coming with mechanics changes to buff CV plane survivability.  Don't know if it got passed around the forums but Sub_Octavian mentioned on Reddit that they're looking at either giving planes that dropped faster immunity, or diminishing returns on overlapping continuous AA auras.

[RKLES]
Members
11,214 posts
12,588 battles
2 hours ago, Kenjister said:

Unless the Duke of York has Auxiliary Armaments Mod on it, in which case it can withstand a lot more HE shelling than expected. Did this on Yamato since it’s sich a hit target and I was often losing AA and secondary mounts, the equipment upgrade worked nicely. Although with DOY I have not had too much trouble with becoming defenseless as far as AA mounts go, and actually in the post CV rework environment in the game the AA mounts have seemed more resistant to getting knocked out.

The Auxiliary Armaments Mod must be carefully considered before using it since it only aids the durability of Auxiliary Armaments such as secondary guns and AA guns, which means torpedoe tubes and main guns might be at risk depending on the ship if Main Armaments Mod is not used.  That’s why Yamato and maybe Musashi I think are only ships in my fleet that use the Auxiliary Armaments Mod due to the fact they desperately need the auxiliary Armaments intact, and their msinnturrets are so well armored that they rarely even get disabled let alone destroyed. So point is even if somebody does majorly reinforce DOY AA mounts it will likely come with a price.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,696 posts

For a brief shining moment, when the servers were flooded with CVs after the rework, DoY was actually worth playing instead of KGV due to her far superior AA values.

Now that the CV population has declined again, the Duke is back to being the Duke of Yuk.

Buff the Duke of York reload, hydro range, and heal charges!

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,696 posts
6 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Unless the Duke of York has Auxiliary Armaments Mod on it, in which case it can withstand a lot more HE shelling than expected. Did this on Yamato since it’s sich a hit target and I was often losing AA and secondary mounts, the equipment upgrade worked nicely. Although with DOY I have not had too much trouble with becoming defenseless as far as AA mounts go, and actually in the post CV rework environment in the game the AA mounts have seemed more resistant to getting knocked out.

The Auxiliary Armaments Mod must be carefully considered before using it since it only aids the durability of Auxiliary Armaments such as secondary guns and AA guns, which means torpedoe tubes and main guns might be at risk depending on the ship if Main Armaments Mod is not used.  That’s why Yamato and maybe Musashi I think are only ships in my fleet that use the Auxiliary Armaments Mod due to the fact they desperately need the auxiliary Armaments intact, and their msinnturrets are so well armored that they rarely even get disabled let alone destroyed. So point is even if somebody does majorly reinforce DOY AA mounts it will likely come with a price.

I use Aux Armaments Mod on practically every one of my battleships.   Why?  Because losing those Aux mounts winds up causing you a lot of damage.  In addition to preserving your AA and secondaries, it also makes your ship tougher.

Most battleships don't have a big problem with main battery turrets being taken out.  For the ones that do, use the 1 point Captain Skill to help protect them.

Sign in to follow this