You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Caught Flat Footed by a DD

12 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
5,305 posts
16,632 battles

It doesn't happen often, but a very sneaky DD caught me this evening napping in my CV.  Well, I wasn't exactly napping..The game was intense and I had lots of placed to be...lots of things to do.  And I simply lost track of a DD.  I normally take note of where they're at.  But I just got task saturated.  And then...all of a sudden...there he was...in pretty much instant death range to me.  So close, that I figured my best choice for sustaining my longevity was to turn into him..too close to run.  He could have just waltzed up and unloaded on me.  A well deserved catch following a rather lengthy stealthy stalk.  And then....

shot-19_03.13_00_04.02-0908.thumb.jpg.027c29037febe338366d246b20afd9f7.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,149 posts
13,310 battles
10 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Was he low on health or did he detonate?

I am going to guess that it was a combination of bombs, rockets, and stupid greed by the DD closing into the CV's secondary range.

Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles

Lexington's secondaries can get pretty mean, if you get in range. Actually played around with manual secondaries before the rework a bit, with a secondary / anti-air build.

...I really want the Graf Zep!

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

I would turn into a chasing DD much more often if not for - of course - the torps.

Well, and if he wiffs his torps I'll definitely drive towards him, not away.

Members
1,695 posts
8,603 battles
3 hours ago, Frenotx said:

Lexington's secondaries can get pretty mean, if you get in range. Actually played around with manual secondaries before the rework a bit, with a secondary / anti-air build.

I once saw a Lexington kill two low hp BBs with is secondaries in ranked.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,024 posts

In the real world, the Lexington (CV-2) had four twin mount 8-inch guns. If it had those in the game it would be a heavy cruiser. In fact, the ship started life as a battlecruiser.

It would be funny if the game's Lexington had the proper armament and was attacked by a DD.

USS_Lexington_(CV-2)_firing_203mm_guns_1

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles
2 hours ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

I once saw a Lexington kill two low hp BBs with is secondaries in ranked.

That's one hell of a ranked battle. I got into a slug fest at one point with another Lexington pre-rework, and had 90-something secondary hits after the dust cleared. It was pretty amusing.

With the way reworked carriers work now (fully controlling either a squad or the ship), it would be interesting if the secondary battery instead functioned like a main battery when the player was controlling the ship. It's still not a terribly fierce weapon array considering the size and armour of the ship, but it would make self defense a little more interesting for all.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,169 posts
6,068 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

In the real world, the Lexington (CV-2) had four twin mount 8-inch guns. If it had those in the game it would be a heavy cruiser. In fact, the ship started life as a battlecruiser.

It would be funny if the game's Lexington had the proper armament and was attacked by a DD.

And IRL it never got those 5"/38 turrets either. Don't get me wrong, she DID lose the 8" guns, but Saratoga was the only one of the two that got the DP armament. Lady Lex got seven Chicago Pianos to replace them instead.

[CNO]
Members
5,305 posts
16,632 battles

It was a combination of a couple of bomb drops, secondaries and especially friendly ships that focused him.   To be honest, I suspect if my secondaries didn't get him, a friendly shell would have finished him before I could get another bomb drop on him.  The only unknown was his torp timer and whether he would have had time to get a kill shot on me.

[TURD]
Members
155 posts
2,972 battles
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:59 AM, Snargfargle said:

USS_Lexington_(CV-2)_firing_203mm_guns_1

Dude how you gonna just leave a hand truck parked about the deck like that. That's a safety hazard.

• Funny 1