You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
misanthrope0

Arizona or WV?

15 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,413 posts
10,140 battles

They are both fun mid tier US standard battleships.

[RED2]
Members
475 posts
7,568 battles

Arizona is generally favored for competitive play. Out of all the tier six BBs not just the two.

To start off with these ships are extremely similar, not only are they both standard battleships but both lack the maneuverability bonus other us BBs get and both are Pre Peal Harbor hulls (for obvious reasons). So they also have crap AA. The main difference is that that one trades more 14inchers for fewer 16inchers. However the Arizona has better accuracy. And with more shots going out the barrels its just far more likely to significant damage.

Edited by Wows_Nightly_News

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,357 posts
10,910 battles

I have both.:fish_book:

AZ is a bit more accurate with its guns. slightly better AA than VA but not by much.

however

WV hits harder and can pen at odd angles given the right match MM

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,241 posts
15,762 battles

TLDR:  If you want a more all-around, universal BB, AZ is the choice.  If you want a BB that is more specialized in fighting BBs, WV'41 is the choice.

Spoiler

AZ is the ship to get more hits with.  12 shells flying at the same time with better Sigma that makes New Mexico cry in her corner.  AZ's gun consistency is what makes her.

WV'41 has 8 guns with Tier VII Colorado's very strong shells.  These are I think, the highest AP penetration shells in Tier VI.

WV'41 is catered to crushing Battleships.  BBs are easier to hit and her worse-than-Colorado-accuracy is fine against other BBs.  But you may find yourself missing small targets (DDs) and Overpenning Cruisers more.

AZ's smaller, but more numerous guns don't have WV'41's massive AP Pen, but her volume of fire makes her able to more easily hit the various targets she will encounter.  DDs, Cruisers, BBs.  The 356mm will Overpen less than the massive 406mm AP of WV'41 on Cruisers.

There was someone not long after WV'41 released, that complained about getting nothing but Overpens.  I recommended being focused more on BB targets, where their bulk and heavier armor means they will at the very least, eat more AP Pens than Overpens.  The Cruisers she encounters in her tier bracket are very flimsy and you'll get lots of Overpens.  WV'41 is expressly bred to fight BBs.  The guy followed suit and replied back some time later how his damage went up a lot.  Edit:  Found the thread!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
317 posts
10,261 battles

Can attest to WV against other bb's, as long as they are not T8. That is where it does its greatest damage. Against cruisers, sadly, it is ineffective, no matter what tier. Sometimes you get lucky, mostly not. Just avoid cruisers when possible & focus on the BB's. This match i got jumped by a Leander, Nuremberg, & Belfast at mid range. Could not flee. It did not end well for me. You can see why i call it the king of overpens...

shot-19_03.17_22_34.50-0470.thumb.jpg.bcdbd0569e1ae41321b671c94dd4ac38.jpg

Members
1,712 posts
9,107 battles

Hey

I have the Arizona; and it's a very good boat, great guns, just so darn slow, meh AA.  Of just the two you mentioned; Arizona would be my vote.

Pete

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,241 posts
15,762 battles
7 hours ago, bigalow87 said:

Can attest to WV against other bb's, as long as they are not T8. That is where it does its greatest damage. Against cruisers, sadly, it is ineffective, no matter what tier. Sometimes you get lucky, mostly not. Just avoid cruisers when possible & focus on the BB's. This match i got jumped by a Leander, Nuremberg, & Belfast at mid range. Could not flee. It did not end well for me. You can see why i call it the king of overpens...

shot-19_03.17_22_34.50-0470.thumb.jpg.bcdbd0569e1ae41321b671c94dd4ac38.jpg

I remember when the game was new in 2015, I had just gotten my first Tier VII ship, Colorado / LOLorado.  Before any of the buffs she's had.

+/-3 Matchmaker.  So yes.  I was playing Stock Colorado and staring at Yamato (she had an improved heal at the time), Pre-Nerf Shimakazes / IJN DDs, Stealth Fire, Midway with jets and 2 Tier X Torpedo Bomber squads, etc.

But the Stealth Fire was really harsh to deal with in a 21kt BB with bad concealment.  I remember being the last ship for my team in the half of the map with Colorado.  I was getting tag teamed by two Stealth Firing CAs, Zao (the Queen of Stealthfire / Hellfire Shells) and an Ibuki.  There was literally nothing I could do.  I couldn't push towards them to detect them, because they were by far much faster and stealthier.  I couldn't run away and separate from them, because I could only go 21kts and I had sh*tty concealment.  I had no more allies in that part of the map.  I was screwed.  Nothing I could do but sail around a bit and get burned down.

================

In addition, there is another BB that has a similar problem as WV'41 with lots of AP Overpens.

Roma.

Her 380mm AP shells have massive AP Pen capability and good shell velocity.  I learned early on that AP on Cruisers could result in lots of Overpens if the salvo wasn't perfect.  I remember seeing a beautiful opportunity:  Some dude in a Dmitri Donskoi was distracted and at 10km away from my Roma.  I had a perfect, full broadside view.  Fired all my guns and got a few Overpens.  None struck the citadel, so that super high AP Pen just got the shells to fly out the other side of the ship before arming.

But against Battleships, the Italian 380mm AP works beautifully.  If RNG doesn't screw your dispersion.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway