Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TwoLate51

Wanting to learn more.

5 comments in this topic

[THOR]
Members
398 posts
5,280 battles

I have been climbing out of a deep hole in WR and got it over 48%. I have been trending in the low 50% lately and I want to learn more about which ships I can pen with what guns I have. Can any body point me to a excel file or something? Example with 203 what armor can I pen. I am getting better at reading mini maps for position and the strengths and weakness of the ships I play. I know I wont reach unicum level just want to help more on the teams I am on. I try not to do potato things. I use to be a DD main and started off rushing into caps and got a low WR for that. I am playing cruisers now and having fun with cruisers. Thanks all for any thing you throw at me.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,294 posts
9,279 battles
2 minutes ago, TwoLate51 said:

I have been climbing out of a deep hole in WR and got it over 48%. I have been trending in the low 50% lately and I want to learn more about which ships I can pen with what guns I have. Can any body point me to a excel file or something? Example with 203 what armor can I pen. I am getting better at reading mini maps for position and the strengths and weakness of the ships I play. I know I wont reach unicum level just want to help more on the teams I am on. I try not to do potato things. I use to be a DD main and started off rushing into caps and got a low WR for that. I am playing cruisers now and having fun with cruisers. Thanks all for any thing you throw at me.

If you're talking about AP penetration, you can use this tool:

https://mustanghx.github.io/ship_ap_calculator/

If you're looking for HE penetration, the formula is pretty basic.  For most ships, take the size of your gun (in millimeters) and divide by 6 and round normally.  The value must EXCEED the armour thickness in order to deal damage.  So a 152mm gun divided by 6 gives us 25.333... mm which means it can deal damage to areas of 24mm or less.  Inertial Fuse for HE Shells increases this value by 30% (so multiply it by 1.3).  So using our 152mm value from before jumps us up to 32.9333... mm, allowing us to deal damage to areas of up to 32mm worth of armour.

There are exceptions to the HE penetration rule, namely for German cruisers, German Battleships and British battleships with their main battery guns and some (but not all) of their secondaries.  These ships take the gun caliber and divide by 4 instead.  Meaning a 203mm German cruiser HE shell penetrates up to 50mm worth of armour instead of just 33mm.  Inertial Fuse for HE Shells affects this normally.  There are more ships than just the ones listed that benefit from this, but they tend to be exceptions rather than the rule.

• Cool 2

[THOR]
Members
398 posts
5,280 battles

Thanks LWM. I really enjoy your reviews and insights. You do a lot for the community in a positive way. Salute.

Thanks for the AP tool will get data and import to an excel. I like the USA Cruisers and Russian Cruisers so this will come in handy.

Edited by TwoLate51
Adding sentence

[O_O]
Members
5,960 posts
13,751 battles

LWM keeps pretty busy, and I don't see her post a whole lot except for reviews.

She is obviously hungry, and you lured her in with tater tots.  Sly move, playa.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[THOR]
Members
398 posts
5,280 battles
6 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

LWM keeps pretty busy, and I don't see her post a whole lot except for reviews.

She is obviously hungry, and you lured her in with tater tots.  Sly move, playa.

Thank ya. Yes she does. I dont know how she does it. Her reviews have a lot in them and Lert does well also. I am 66 and going to retire so I have a hard time remembering the armor amounts on ships like you young fellows. lol So I have to have charts on wall.

Sign in to follow this