DrMacintosh

Questions about game performance

3 comments in this topic

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester
508 posts
6,696 battles

Hello, so I've been playing this game for years and across two completely different systems I've had a similar issue as the one I'm experiencing now. 

The game is obviously capped to 75fps but I play with Vsync on on high settings at 1080p. My specs are:

Ryzen 5 2600

ASRock B450M Pro4

Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

and 8GB of DDR4 2666Mhz RAM

My old rig had a 4690K and the same GPU and experienced the issue I'm about to describe but much more pronounced. This new rig does not stutter when I look at islands with trees for example. 

Essentially with the game running only about ~75% of my GPU is used. My CPU is also not being anywhere near fully utilized on any of the 6C/12T the R5 2600 has. Performance is great about 95% of the time. It's only when in between islands and in close range engagements do I see performance dips. Sometimes down to the high 40s even. It's not consistent either, it feels a lot like inconsistent frame timings.  

Do others have similar experiences with their hardware utilization and frame rates when in close quarters with lots of small objects like torps and planes? Could this be a issue of limited VRAM? RAM speed? Or is it just normal? 

Edited by DrMacintosh

[-BRS-]
Members
1,390 posts
6,577 battles

You can raise the fps cap in the config file, but why use v-sync?  I have GTX1080 and 144hz monitor and would never use v-sync, too many problems and I do not have any tearing with my monitor.  Just turn off v-sync.  Are you using a 60hz monitor? 

If your graphics card can't always render a frame faster than your monitor can refresh itself, v-sync can cause performance drops.

" V-Sync can limit your framerate to as low as 30 FPS in the case that your GPU fails to consistently render a stable 60 frames per second. "

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0