You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Do Rewards for Ship Kills Also Reward Bad Play?

12 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,990 posts

The current event rewards ship kills more than only a win. I got sunk in a match just now so I tabbed out because we clearly were winning, two caps to three and seven ships to three. I went back to watch the finale only to see, to my dismay, that all the team was gone but for one DD. We had all the caps though and all he had to do was run. However, he was headhunting; he had two klills and wanted some more. He did a 180 and yolo'd right back into the cap, between a Yamato and a Henry and got himself taken out before he could even release torps.  

[NG-NL]
Members
6,035 posts
9,663 battles

Probably just one of those eager players who's foaming at the mouth to get more kills.

They're known as "blundering fools" as Skeletor would say.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,346 posts
13,329 battles

There is very little sense of teamwork or team objectives among some of the (newer?) player base.  I can't count the number of times I've been run over in my own smoke by a over zealous BB or Cruiser charging in for the next kill ... and then maybe getting shot at for getting in the way.  Luckily, they are not the majority.

Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles

I would be surprised if the event was causing an appreciable increase in that sort of behavior. Players seeing red and going for kills even when it's a bad tactical decision is pretty much a staple of online gaming.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
3,669 posts
20,310 battles

Only a small proportion of the player base read the forums so I don't think it is the current event pushing this behaviour.

It's more the lust for that little red flag than anything, as xp is based on damage done not kills as such.

Members
110 posts
2 hours ago, DocWalker said:

There is very little sense of teamwork or team objectives among some of the (newer?) player base.  I can't count the number of times I've been run over in my own smoke by a over zealous BB or Cruiser charging in for the next kill ... and then maybe getting shot at for getting in the way.  Luckily, they are not the majority.

I agree, but not all 'new' players are like that.  I'm very new and very much into team tactics and supportive roles.

[RKLES]
Members
11,214 posts
12,588 battles

My take on the kill or damage missions (as long as they are not a set amount that must be earned in 1 battle), are fine. Just play normally as a team, do what is required to carry the team to victory and typically you will end up with the missions completed without even trying to.

After all why just complete a mission when you can complete the missions, score wins, get the extra income from the wins, and maybe even some signal flags from awards earned as well? Now the shoot down planes missions at the moment have required effort directed towards getting them completed by using ships that have AA, but are not well known AA ships that CVs avoid. Other than shooting down planes any other mission takes care of itself. And players with half a brain and a desire to have WR nice stats will realize  that missions take care of themselves.

[-DICE]
Members
428 posts
11,612 battles

Sounds like the MM saddled you with potatoes.  I am sick of losing, regardless of how I play.  I hope you gave the dd the karma he richly deserves.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,747 posts
11,049 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

The current event rewards ship kills more than only a win. I got sunk in a match just now so I tabbed out because we clearly were winning, two caps to three and seven ships to three. I went back to watch the finale only to see, to my dismay, that all the team was gone but for one DD. We had all the caps though and all he had to do was run. However, he was headhunting; he had two klills and wanted some more. He did a 180 and yolo'd right back into the cap, between a Yamato and a Henry and got himself taken out before he could even release torps.  

Was it the kill mission? or the cap/defend mission? Or a player that just happened to be playing Shimakaze and after the team all but threw the match said "screw it I'm done"?

There is no doubt there is no lack of salt and stupidity over kill missions, reasons I hate them and they need a way to award assists when you do significant damage to a ship or just avoid. (By significant I'm talking 75% or more of damage done to it is yours). That said, you can't always pin it on the missions because sometimes it's just someone being fed up or stupid, possibly both. 

Does it encourage bad play - yes, players will kill snipe, headhunt at bad times, ram a ship to make sure they get the kill, etc. But, they encourage good play, as you have to survive to deal more damage, aim well, etc, and players may adopt tactics that are actually better than normal.

Like anything it can be used for weal, or for woe, it's all about how one chooses to go about it.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,696 posts

I was in a game last night where a Zao was holding his fire while I was duelling with a Hindenburg because he was clearly waiting to snipe the kill at the end. 

I still got most of the credits and xp because of all the damage I did. . . that was his only kill of the game.  Seems like a stupid call on his part to me.

Members
1,244 posts
7,115 battles

I believe WG should make missions only count with wins. Like if the mission asks for base xp or damage or kills...etc  those things will only count towards the mission if you win.  

[ARGSY]
Members
16,255 posts
11,121 battles
7 minutes ago, USMC2145 said:

I believe WG should make missions only count with wins. Like if the mission asks for base xp or damage or kills...etc  those things will only count towards the mission if you win.  

No, no, no, a thousand million times no. We went through that hell in the Indianapolis marathon. So many people put in so much effort only for some idiot to blow a completely winnable game at the last minute and ruin it all. It was frustrating to the point of screen-punching. Even worse is "win and survive". It's worthy of note that WG has not repeated that format since, preferring to go with the one they tried in the Cossack marathon.

It is a condition of the Dailies after the second stage (you must earn the base XP in a winning battle), and in a few of the permanent campaign tasks. But the former can be ameliorated by going to co-op (where the win rate is very high even if the per-game gains are low) and the latter is not time-critical like many of the premium-ship giveaways are. So the frustration level is lower if you fail.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu