Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Compression realization

8 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
4,408 posts
13,717 battles

I've known for a long time the times, sizes and distances have been changed to make the game faster and more playable.  It really struck home the other day when I managed to screw up and get killed early. The after action screen showed my time in game was about 4 min and that I had traveled 18 km. Assuming my math is correct, that means my average speed was 270kph (145 kts) without a speed flag!:cap_book: Le Terrible must be doing Mach 1.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,869 posts
4,127 battles
25 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I've known for a long time the times, sizes and distances have been changed to make the game faster and more playable.  It really struck home the other day when I managed to screw up and get killed early. The after action screen showed my time in game was about 4 min and that I had traveled 18 km. Assuming my math is correct, that means my average speed was 270kph (145 kts) without a speed flag!:cap_book: Le Terrible must be doing Mach 1.

Game speeds are about five times the reported speed.  So if your speed shows 30 knots then you actually going about 150 knots.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
843 posts
6,423 battles
2 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Game speeds are about five times the reported speed.  So if your speed shows 30 knots then you actually going about 150 knots.

I knew ships were modeled twice as big but I just learned something else today.  Thanks, I didn't know that.

[K0]
Members
1,748 posts
7,493 battles

The compression really stands out when you compare this game's destroyers to WT's destroyers, which are more like WoWS' battleships that fire sub-orbitally like an Atlanta even at a relatively short range of 5km.

Both styles have their own charms, but comparing them puts into perspective how much has been simplified to make a fast and intuitive experience.

[WOLF2]
Members
4,832 posts
17,627 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Most people don't want a real simulator experience … 

So we play arcade :)

Supertester
374 posts
6,317 battles

Its an interesting point.  

The game really is nothing more than a slower paced arcade shooter yet players think stats and WR mean all that.

If they had any real skill they would be in the hardcore shooters.  

Not mucking around here in shooter ‘preschool’

[CVA16]
Members
4,408 posts
13,717 battles

Of course the oversized ships is one reason the hit rates in game are much higher than IRL.

[WLDD]
Members
119 posts
5,944 battles

Shell flight times are a fraction of real shell flight times, range a given and not something which has to be estimated (without gunnery radar).  All help to inflate the hit rate.  Lower shell flight times = easier to lead ships.

I once sat down to compute tables based on the lead indicator (those numbers near the crosshairs when zoomed in) to improve my ability to lead targets, but there was simply too many different scaling factors (speed, distance, size) to get them right.

Yet, I think the in game torp hit rate is pretty close to the actual IJN hitrate estinates I’ve seen for WW2 (far below what they needed for their decisive battle)

Sign in to follow this