You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HauptmannHope

Improve chat and karma

27 comments in this topic

[KILL]
Members
80 posts
10,921 battles

I've lost track of the number of times I've been put in timeout post 8.0. It seems like most games are blowouts now with one team not even trying. It's difficult to keep the rage bottled up and no one listens to advice in game so how do we improve upon the situation?  I have the following suggestions for improving the chat in game. 

Make Karma points worth something, it's that easy. Why not have a point system where me being nice and polite to the (censored) nets me an exp or credit bonus? That way we can tell the worst (censored) players how great they are. And when they say thank you, we can respond with "I dont need thanks, it was the right thing to do". Think of how improved the game would be if chat was nothing but compliments. Wow, makes me (censored) just thinking about.

Of course this requires the developers to make down votes more serious as well. I suggest no downvotes post game and penalties for people who down vote someone in the top 2/3 of the team and a loss of all karma points if someone downvotes the top player on the team. This should immediately cut down on the (censored) players who just dont like the way you play or that you play a certain class.

I'd love to discuss this further and WG, you're the best game developer out there and your forum moderators are awesome. 

• Cool 2

[_ARP_]
Members
715 posts
32,687 battles
4 minutes ago, HauptmannHope said:

I've lost track of the number of times I've been put in timeout post 8.0. It seems like most games are blowouts now with one team not even trying. It's difficult to keep the rage bottled up and no one listens to advice in game so how do we improve upon the situation?  I have the following suggestions for improving the chat in game. 

Make Karma points worth something, it's that easy. Why not have a point system where me being nice and polite to the (censored) nets me an exp or credit bonus? That way we can tell the worst (censored) players how great they are. And when they say thank you, we can respond with "I dont need thanks, it was the right thing to do". Think of how improved the game would be if chat was nothing but compliments. Wow, makes me (censored) just thinking about.

Of course this requires the developers to make down votes more serious as well. I suggest no downvotes post game and penalties for people who down vote someone in the top 2/3 of the team and a loss of all karma points if someone downvotes the top player on the team. This should immediately cut down on the (censored) players who just dont like the way you play or that you play a certain class.

I'd love to discuss this further and WG, you're the best game developer out there and your forum moderators are awesome. 

I'm hoping something like that, and with 200+ karma,  getting a higher chance of a super container. . . . That's just me, tho 

• Cool 1

Supertester
2,988 posts
4,104 battles

If you make karma points worth anything, all forms of negative karma and downvoting would need to go. Trolls can farm you no matter what. Your suggestions to circumvent this will mean nothing. There will always be a loophole as long as there is downvotes and bad karma. It would be easy to be top 2/3 and still be a bitter troll... yet everyone who downvotes you gets punished?

And to make it worth something falls into a similar category. Begging and circumventing the system (with a div mate, count-ins, or anything else) will become the norm and it will  just be no fun.

Tbh the best system is how it is. Its completley meaningless and rightfully so.

[_ARP_]
Members
715 posts
32,687 battles
3 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

If you make karma points worth anything, all forms of negative karma and downvoting would need to go. Trolls can farm you no matter what. Your suggestions to circumvent this will mean nothing. There will always be a loophole as long as there is downvotes and bad karma. It would be easy to be top 2/3 and still be a bitter troll... yet everyone who downvotes you gets punished?

And to make it worth something falls into a similar category. Begging and circumventing the system (with a div mate, count-ins, or anything else) will become the norm and it will  just be no fun.

Tbh the best system is how it is. Its completley meaningless and rightfully so.

I haven't thought of that....I feel that removing the karma system would be best for the community 

• Cool 2

[-OPS-]
[-OPS-]
Members
93 posts

I think that the karma system lets players blow off steam..and it is meaningless..I got reported today for being top of the team but I did not play the way the whiner wanted me to but we both felt better, reporting each other...

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,711 posts
22,019 battles
29 minutes ago, HauptmannHope said:

I have played almost three years now and have a few games, and have never gotten a "chat ban". My guess is you are saying stuff in chat that others do not like and are getting reported... The game does not need to change, I think you do. 

Adding rewards for karma would only encourage abusing the system either to farm the rewards or punish players you do not like. I almost agree with Submarine that it may be best for the community but I think it is good to have a way of players to vent steam or to report players who are actually being nasty in chat or doing something else they should not be. Getting reported by one player probably will not bring a review, being reported by a half dozen players in a match should catch Wargaming's attention and get them investigating. 

• Cool 1

[KILL]
Members
80 posts
10,921 battles

Oh heaven forbid I say something nasty and hurt someones feelings. That could make them cry. We all need safe spaces and thats why I'm proposing this.

• Funny 1

[A-D-F]
Members
2,107 posts
38 minutes ago, HauptmannHope said:

So, your mouth keeps getting you in trouble, and your solution is for WG to bribe you not to be a toxic little A-hole. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess your suggestions will not be implemented.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,711 posts
22,019 battles
6 minutes ago, HauptmannHope said:

Oh heaven forbid I say something nasty and hurt someones feelings. That could make them cry. We all need safe spaces and thats why I'm proposing this.

Yeah, ok can see why you get chat banned.... 

[KILL]
Members
80 posts
10,921 battles
4 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

So, your mouth keeps getting you in trouble, and your solution is for WG to bribe you not to be a toxic little A-hole. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess your suggestions will not be implemented.

Thanks for reading and attempting comprehension.  It's appreciated. I just think if WG is going to mess up the flow of the game with the CV rework and having a karma and reporting system thats abused that maybe they could put some effort into improving things.

[S0L0]
Members
18 posts
3,368 battles
49 minutes ago, HauptmannHope said:

No one likes the guy who is ordering everyone around in chat and the karma system is trying to tell you that with the timeouts. The fact that you're noticing means that it is working in this instance. Just pay attention to your game and leave when you're dead if you're not responsible enough with the chat. 

[_ARP_]
Members
715 posts
32,687 battles
18 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I have played almost three years now and have a few games, and have never gotten a "chat ban". My guess is you are saying stuff in chat that others do not like and are getting reported... The game does not need to change, I think you do. 

Adding rewards for karma would only encourage abusing the system either to farm the rewards or punish players you do not like. I almost agree with Submarine that it may be best for the community but I think it is good to have a way of players to vent steam or to report players who are actually being nasty in chat or doing something else they should not be. Getting reported by one player probably will not bring a review, being reported by a half dozen players in a match should catch Wargaming's attention and get them investigating. 

Ty for the upvote ;)  

Also, having a ticket system would be preferable. For me, I have a lot of worries about it,  since I check it every time after a match 

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
2,842 posts
10,152 battles
31 minutes ago, The_Old_Dog said:

I think that the karma system lets players blow off steam..and it is meaningless..I got reported today for being top of the team but I did not play the way the whiner wanted me to but we both felt better, reporting each other...

I agree with  ^ this ……… Two threads today on something that is meaningless they both felt better after reporting each other no harm no foul . And like I said in the other thread although meaningless it's always nice to get a complement after a good game . 

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 1

Members
396 posts
13,657 battles
25 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I believe your experiences are significantly different from many players since 80% of your games are in Co-Op. The Co-Op mode is not challenging with matches over quickly leading to little frustration from those that play.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but a player who takes a tier X CV into a random match while averaging 15k damage is likely to cause some salt in chat.

[HINON]
Members
12,402 posts

Based on your post and all the edited words, I cannot imagine why you would get reported.  I hope WG completes a manual review of your logs to clear your name and bring their wrath down upon those who would dare question your kind counsel and besmirch you.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[KILL]
Members
80 posts
10,921 battles
5 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Based on your post and all the edited words, I cannot imagine why you would get reported.  I hope WG completes a manual review of your logs to clear your name and bring their wrath down upon those who would dare question your kind counsel and besmirch you.

Thank you, see this guy gets it. Oh and I censored myself btw.

Edited by HauptmannHope

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Supertester
2,226 posts
21,359 battles

Perhaps if the downvoting was kept in line by requiring 3 downvotes in a single match to actually count. That way it might show that 1/4 of the team agreed that the player deserved a karma reduction. I'd hate to be trolled for playing my Carrier or something, simply based on the ship class warfare around the forums for example.

Members
396 posts
13,657 battles
1 hour ago, HauptmannHope said:

Consider an alternative solution: increase the reward for winning and the penalty for losing. Would players continue to engage in poor high tier play (VII, IX, and X) if they consistently lose silver? What if it was shown how much silver they were "paying" to enter a match before the match began? Would behaviors change if there was an actual sense of "I need to make the best of this" versus "I'll play my game while you play yours"?

Edited by _Big_Lou_

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
10,438 posts
14,621 battles
1 hour ago, HauptmannHope said:

Errr… wouldn't that system wreck you? Would be great for me but I think you would hate it.

[BOMBS]
Members
97 posts
9,725 battles

I thought through the options, but believe the current karma system works well enough.  If you care about it, fine; if not, fine.  It has no consequence and I've found the best strategy is to help out the best you can and keep your salt to yourself (if you can.)  Anything else might add too much more complexity and/or add another element that can be too easily manipulated.

Additionally, all I can say about lopsided teams is that MM needs to focus more on preventing that from happening, but how is a really difficult question to answer.  It's not always obvious which decisions players make translates into wins or losses (a.k.a. "brilliant" or "idiotic" decisions are evaluated in retrospect).  Maybe add a consideration to MM to include a look at overall win rate (by ship, not a player's total average) and then work to match teams with equivalent average win rates and standard deviation on those averages.  Looking at MM monitor that is obviously not what happens, but I think matches might be more even if it did.  However, this might be because there simply aren't enough players to make this happen in an acceptable time frame.

Thoughts?

[KILL]
Members
80 posts
10,921 battles
Just now, paradat said:

Errr… wouldn't that system wreck you? Would be great for me but I think you would hate it.

It just might but I'll adapt the WG motto of "change for the sake of change is good and we'll test it after"

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
10,438 posts
14,621 battles
1 minute ago, HauptmannHope said:

It just might but I'll adapt the WG motto of "change for the sake of change is good and we'll test it after"

Perfect. DO IT WG!

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Supertester
2,226 posts
21,359 battles

Perhaps if the downvoting was kept in line by requiring 3 downvotes in a single match to actually count. That way it might show that 1/4 of the team agreed that the player deserved a karma reduction. I'd hate to be trolled for playing my Carrier or something, simply based on the ship class warfare around the forums for example.

[DPG]
Members
1,766 posts
7,931 battles

I get angry during some battles.  I feel the urge to rage, but no one hears it and they shouldn't have to.  Perhaps the OP should find a "safe space" in order to vent their rage.  4 years, lots of frustration, zero chat bans. 

• Cool 1