You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wyngs_2015

A question about Gearing

12 comments in this topic

Members
1,082 posts
3,570 battles

What does the "Modified Hull" upgrade consist of? And is it worth the grind to obtain it? I dont play that often anymore, just dont have the time. This represents a sizable time commitment. Thanks.

~Wyngs~

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Upgrades#Modified_Hull

Icon_modernization_PCM058_Special_Mod_I_Gearing.png

Modified Hull

2,500,000Credits
  • –15% to detectability.
  • +5% to maximum dispersion of shells fired by the enemy attacking your ship.
  • +15% to main battery loading time.
  • +5% to torpedo tubes reload time.
Available only via in-game missions. Gearing only.

Personally, I think it is, given that it's in slot 5, so you can still take the Slot 6 torp booster and the -15% reload rate translates into a +0.45 second to reload, or in real terms, a drop from 11880 HP DPM (assuming 33% pens and 100% accuracy) with HE, down to 10330 DPM, or a drop of 1549 DPM.

• Cool 1

Members
1,082 posts
3,570 battles
4 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Upgrades#Modified_Hull

Icon_modernization_PCM058_Special_Mod_I_Gearing.png

Modified Hull

2,500,000Credits
  • –15% to detectability.
  • +5% to maximum dispersion of shells fired by the enemy attacking your ship.
  • +15% to main battery loading time.
  • +5% to torpedo tubes reload time.
Available only via in-game missions. Gearing only.

Personally, I think it is, given that it's in slot 5, so you can still take the Slot 6 torp booster and the -15% reload rate translates into a +0.45 second to reload, or in real terms, a drop from 11880 HP DPM (assuming 33% pens and 100% accuracy) with HE, down to 10330 DPM, or a drop of 1549 DPM.

Cool, thanks man. I have been trying to find the info and I guess I just missed it somewhere

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
1 minute ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

Cool, thanks man. I have been trying to find the info and I guess I just missed it somewhere

Use the wiki. Wiki is love. Wiki is life.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[R-F]
Members
1,718 posts
10,057 battles

Personally I don't recommend it.  The added stealth sounds nice but it's pretty situational.  Realistically you're more likely to be spotted by radar or hydro or firing your guns at the wrong time, not because you actually got that close to another ship.  It's not worth the loss of DPS.  It may be of some use in clan battles where destroyers are not doing much damage but are competing to outspot each other so their cruiser friends can start shooting.

But that's just my opinion, others may disagree.

And I just realized that I have no idea if it affects spotting distance by aircraft.  Might be an interesting question.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,645 posts
12,801 battles

Depends on your game play style. It is a choice between a little extra concealment or a higher rate of fire.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,011 posts
17,014 battles

It makes Gearing more competitive in DD vs. DD spotting, at the expense of making its already middle-of-the-pack damage output even lower. I wouldn't use it except for competitive modes. And Gearing in competitive modes is mostly a smoke bot, and when you're tethered to stay close enough to smoke for allied ships, concealment doesn't matter....

Edited by Edgecase
  • Cool 1

Members
1,082 posts
3,570 battles

That is what crossed my mind too. Im a DPS player that loves to hunt other DD's up close. I prefer my beloved Fletcher over Gearing most of the time for various reasons

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,150 posts
2 hours ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

What does the "Modified Hull" upgrade consist of? And is it worth the grind to obtain it? I dont play that often anymore, just dont have the time. This represents a sizable time commitment. Thanks.

~Wyngs~

I really like the 5.6 km versus the 5.8 km detection radius. The upgrade also drops your plane detection radius to 2.6 km. Of course, this is with all the other concealment skills too.

0.2 km doesn't sound like much but it's the difference between spotting another stealth DD as it spots you or letting it get in the first shots. Also, for all but I think three DDs, this upgrades allows you to spot every other ship undetected. This can give you a great advantage on deciding whether or not to attack, flee, or stay and spot for your team to take out the DD.

The 15% decrease in gun reload can be felt but it's not as bad as all that. The Gearing has several different builds. I use the stealth torpedo build on mine so the upgrade works well for me.

Edited by Snargfargle

[RKLES]
Members
11,310 posts
12,728 battles
3 hours ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

~Wyngs~

I have found its best to look at the “Legendary” modules with a suspicion since the negatives be effects often outweigh the positive effects unless your playstyle is highly specialized in a particular way. The Gearing Legendary module allowed an enemy Gearing to see my Gearing before I could see them, but when we fought over a base it’s obvious they were suffering from the negative effects of the Legendary module because of the lower DPM the module gives you in exchange for that increased stealth.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[PHASE]
Members
5,791 posts
18,813 battles
3 hours ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

~Wyngs~

Its a great upgrade, but the Gearing is strong anyway. I wouldn't worry about grinding it, just have fun and if you get it... great. With so much radar and hydro and CV's its rare you ever get a full dd vs.dd gunfight. I'm glad I have it, but not sure it has helped me play it any better.

[-NOS-]
Members
1,176 posts
19,954 battles

With Adrenalin Rush captain skill, it made up the DPM difference when i gave up the gun reload module to go 5.6km stealth when dueling with another DD, but i found the better concealment helped more in general, be it in CW or randoms.     Gearing isn't the best gun ship anymore when there's Grosovoi, Khab, and now Daring that will absolutely murder the Gearing in a 1 on 1 duel.  The power creep is also another reason why i changed it to torp build as well.