You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

DDs can Do Well in CV Games (Let the Down-votes Begin)

87 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,016 posts

Both CVs and DDs can do well in CV games. This game was really close. In fact, I thought it was lost but amazingly we won right at the last moment.

I went in and started capping but then planes appeared. I hit my defensive AA and ran them off. I hid behind a rock but then I was radared and an enemy DD got in the cap and smoked up. Another team DD was in the cap so I decided to leave. I worked my way around the back of the map, spotting and dodging planes as I went. 

I threw an occasional torp spread that helped move the enemy from the cap and my team capped it. Then I found an enemy CV. I torped it then smoked and fired my guns. The CV sent torpedo bombers.  One torp hit me but I got another couple of torps into the CV for a better exchange. Unfortunately, I had to stop firing and dodge the other CV's torps too. The flooding timer ran out just before the CV sank. However, another DD on my team with longer range had joined me and sank it. Unfortunately for him the CV had send one last dive bomber squadron out, which got him. Also, though I was doing well dodging planes strikes, I failed to notice the CA that was coming for me until too late. That was it for me.

That also was it for most of my team. Where had my team gone? The enemy now had seven ships left to our three -- two CVs and a Des Moines. They also had two caps and were capping our remaining cap, pushing the DM and CVs back into the corner of the map. I had serious concerns that our Des Moines player might be drunk as he was just firing randomly all over the place, only hitting the occasional ship seemingly by accident. At one time, there were two low-health DDs and a CV within 10 km of him, yet he would fire off somewhere randomly into the water. Maybe his mouse was acting up? His ship was, however, protecting our CVs from plane attacks.  Fortunately for our CVs, too, the enemy was mostly concentrating fire on him and not them.

The points were pretty much even but now the enemy had all the caps. The CVs and the Des Moines kept retreating. Then the CVs got in a kill, and another one. We were now ahead in points very slightly and the timer was ticking down. The silly Des Moines was still firing randomly and had almost no health left. If it was sunk we would lose. I held my breath as the DM was losing hitpoints with every tick. Fortunately, just before it was destroyed the timer ran out and we won.

My most plane kills to date in my Gearing (20). My compliments to our CV players too!

image.thumb.png.646acb48edba8ea5f3bac2b017bb6b9e.png

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 18
  • Boring 2

Members
3,980 posts
18,708 battles

Yea an AA spec destroyer

Why dont you fly a DD that doesn't have AA in a multiple CV game and Cherry pick a good game to show us

That's the problem 90 percent of my fleet is sitting in port just because you might see a CV in the game let alone multiple ones

Sure I can break out in AA spect ship to play but what about all the other  ships that aren't any fun to play anymore

Edited by silverdahc
  • Cool 7
  • Boring 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,016 posts
8 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

Yea and AA spec destroyer

Why dont you fly a DD that doesn't have AA in a multiple CV game and Cherry pick a good game to show us

I only have one tier X DD, my Gearing, it has the defensive AA consumable but isn't otherwise spec'd for AA as it is set up as a torpedo boat. I don't cherry pick. The only two times I've ever been sunk in my Gearing by a CV I posted it here.

image.thumb.png.8f568a8e0962497fdae973c9631d6f9e.png

image.thumb.png.34ac75dfef8d928ec7539e70cc5162fb.png

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 3

Members
1,082 posts
3,570 battles
31 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I only have one tier X DD, my Gearing, it has the defensive AA consumable but isn't otherwise spec'd for AA as it is set up as a torpedo boat. I don't cherry pick. The only two times I've ever been sunk in my Gearing by a CV I posted it here.

image.thumb.png.8f568a8e0962497fdae973c9631d6f9e.png

image.thumb.png.34ac75dfef8d928ec7539e70cc5162fb.png

I have a question. I see that you are using IFHE. What does that help you against in Gearing?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,016 posts
1 minute ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

I have a question. I see that you are using IFHE. What does that help you against in Gearing?

It allows you to penetrate the fore and aft decks of cruisers with HE. It really makes a difference if you get into a gunfight with a cruiser.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
3,804 posts
5,502 battles

I have to ask, is this some personal crusade to prove DDs are fine in CV battles? I see a thread with almost the same subject every week :Smile_amazed:.

• Funny 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

I have to ask, is this some personal crusade to prove DDs are fine in CV battles? I see a thread with almost the same subject every week :Smile_amazed:.

Unicums don't want us unwashed average players to succeed, because it makes them feel less special, so they insist it's fine because they, the experts, can do fine.

• Cool 2

Members
1,082 posts
3,570 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It allows you to penetrate the fore and aft decks of cruisers with HE. It really makes a difference if you get into a gunfight with a cruiser.

Okay cool. Thanks

[TARK]
Members
551 posts
47 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Both CVs and DDs can do well in CV games. This game was really close. In fact, I thought it was lost but amazingly we won right at the last moment.

I went in and started capping but then planes appeared. I hit my defensive AA and ran them off. I hid behind a rock but then I was radared and an enemy DD got in the cap and smoked up. Another team DD was in the cap so I decided to leave. I worked my way around the back of the map, spotting and dodging planes as I went. 

I threw an occasional torp spread that helped move the enemy from the cap and my team capped it. Then I found an enemy CV. I torped it then smoked and fired my guns. The CV sent torpedo bombers.  One torp hit me but I got another couple of torps into the CV for a better exchange. Unfortunately, I had to stop firing and dodge the other CV's torps too. The flooding timer ran out just before the CV sank. However, another DD on my team with longer range had joined me and sank it. Unfortunately for him the CV had send one last dive bomber squadron out, which got him. Also, though I was doing well dodging planes strikes, I failed to notice the CA that was coming for me until too late. That was it for me.

That also was it for most of my team. Where had my team gone? The enemy now had seven ships left to our three -- two CVs and a Des Moines. They also had two caps and were capping our remaining cap, pushing the DM and CVs back into the corner of the map. I had serious concerns that our Des Moines player might be drunk as he was just firing randomly all over the place, only hitting the occasional ship seemingly by accident. At one time, there were two low-health DDs and a CV within 10 km of him, yet he would fire off somewhere randomly into the water. Maybe his mouse was acting up? His ship was, however, protecting our CVs from plane attacks.  Fortunately for our CVs, too, the enemy was mostly concentrating fire on him and not them.

The points were pretty much even but now the enemy had all the caps. The CVs and the Des Moines kept retreating. Then the CVs got in a kill, and another one. We were now ahead in points very slightly and the timer was ticking down. The silly Des Moines was still firing randomly and had almost no health left. If it was sunk we would lose. I held my breath as the DM was losing hitpoints with every tick. Fortunately, just before it was destroyed the timer ran out and we won.

My most plane kills to date in my Gearing (20). My compliments to our CV players too!

Hop in a Kagero, be the only DD up against 2 T8-T10 CVs, THEN post your success story.  BUT, to be fair, post the 275 failures it took to get you to that success.

• Cool 4

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,708 posts
13,896 battles

Why do you keep making the same thread over and over

• Funny 1

[USCC2]
Members
5,316 posts

@SnargfargleI think the reason you get down votes is because you seem to have the habit of coming on to the forum and believing if you can do something, it means everybody should be able to.

Your accomplishments or lack of, do not dictate the results of the community. So one day you state you are able to do well in <fill in your choice>, another day you will complain about others complaining and how you can't play CVs now. 

I am happy for you if you can do something, I empathise if you can't - but in the end it isn't about you individually, but rather the community. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
115 posts
7,496 battles
7 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Unicums don't want us unwashed average players to succeed, because it makes them feel less special, so they insist it's fine because they, the experts, can do fine.

I could be wrong...But I don't think the OP is a Unicum...As a matter of fact, I get the impression that when the CV rework hit he finally found something that he could do well in because WGing made it mindless.  Then they add some challenge by making AA actually do something.  Since then, he has been on a personal mission to revert the AA changes so he can have his easy button again.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[WOLF7]
Members
12,311 posts

A single game does not a point make.....

And honestly, when are you guys with 10K plus games going to realize you're an anomaly....:Smile_teethhappy:

If we assume a player base of 500k, based on the fact we had 342k individual accounts back in Dec 2016, that means that players with over 8000 games are in the top 1% of games played....

And only 10% of the players ever play more than 2000 games.....:cap_hmm:

kTdPQiw.png

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,016 posts
1 minute ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

Okay cool. Thanks

The Gearing has 127 mm guns.

Ships Without IFHE With IFHE
Default (armor + 0.5) * 6 ((armor / 1.3) + 0.5) * 6

Des Moines armor is 27 mm. ((27/1.3) + 0.5) x 6 = 128. Therefore it doesn't help here.

Worcester has 25 mm fore and aft armor. ((25/1.3) + 0.5) x 6 = 119, Therefore 127 IFHE will pen it. However, (25 + 0.5) x 6 = 153 so without IFHE a 127 mm shell can't pen the Worcesters fore and aft armor.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,348 posts
13,341 battles

Top BXP carriers - 1st and 1st

Top BXP destroyers - 4th and 6th

Not a shining example of glorious coexistence, unless I'm missing something?

• Cool 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,016 posts
6 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

@SnargfargleI think the reason you get down votes is because you seem to have the habit of coming on to the forum and believing if you can do something, it means everybody should be able to.

I am a decidedly "average" player. If I can do it then most of the community also can. This is the issue I've been trying to fight against -- people coming here and saying that DDs suck, CVs suck and so on and as a result getting average players to stop playing the ship types.

• Cool 1

Members
883 posts
3,230 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Can you play 3 games with their Gearing AA turned off and show us the results?  Not trolling just wondering for real what the results would be.

Members
1,082 posts
3,570 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The Gearing has 127 mm guns.

Ships Without IFHE With IFHE
Default (armor + 0.5) * 6 ((armor / 1.3) + 0.5) * 6

Des Moines armor is 27 mm. ((27/1.3) + 0.5) x 6 = 128. Therefore it doesn't help here.

Worcester has 25 mm fore and aft armor. ((25/1.3) + 0.5) x 6 = 119, Therefore 127 IFHE will pen it. However, (25 + 0.5) x 6 = 153 so without IFHE a 127 mm shell can't pen the Worcesters fore and aft armor.

I believe you, I was just curious is all. My Gearing skipper only has 10 points anyway.

[REVY]
Members
1,860 posts
10,891 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I agree a DD can do well in a match with a CV or two

The caveat being that the DD needs the support from cruisers and CVs. A DD alone cannot hope to survive long when under aircraft attack. Only in combination with a cruiser will the DD have a chance.

• Cool 1

[XXX]
Members
501 posts
1,192 battles

Something I have come to notice. DD players complain that CV isn't fun, yet decry any other person saying that it "might" be worth playing as a Team.  Frankly, CV needs buffs. And the majority don't like CV? I bloody beg to differ.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,016 posts
6 minutes ago, 0NutsNBolts0 said:

You are perpetuating this myth of a DD "mafia" that is influencing the CV changes.  Newsflash there are all classes that hate playing with CVs not just DD players. 

I play all ship types and don't have any more trouble with CVs in any of them than I do any other ship that's shooting at me. I've seen BBs laughing at me in games when I'm playing a CV because they killed so many of my planes. I've seen DDs like the Groz doing the same. And everyone knows that most cruisers are pretty much immune to plane attacks of spec'd right. However, far too many come here and constantly whine (yes, whine) about how the mean evil CV has ruined their lives.

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,397 posts
6,585 battles
Just now, Formous said:

Something I have come to notice. DD players complain that CV isn't fun, yet decry any other person saying that it "might" be worth playing as a Team.  Frankly, CV needs buffs. And the majority don't like CV? I bloody beg to differ.

You are saying DD players complain its not fun, yet the loudest class complaining since the rework has been............drum roll please..............CV players! 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1