Jump to content
DrHolmes52

Furutaka 10kM torpedoes

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,470
[WOLFG]
Members
7,785 posts
5,816 battles

Are these really useful in coop?  You get the extra range, but they are slower.

On some of the smaller maps, the range seems a bit more than needed.

And that doesn't include the bots spidey sense.

I have them researched but am not sure I need to buy them.

TY for replies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
766
[USCC]
Members
2,754 posts
12,006 battles

IMO, anything over 7 or 8 km is worthless, they'll miss far more than hit, to land consistent hits on bots, you need to be up close and in their face.

I always op't for short range high speed over anything else.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
977
[WOLF3]
Members
1,837 posts
6,941 battles

Skynet botes are the great equalizer when it comes to torps.  If you aren't within 3km of your target, good luck hitting anything.

You might get lucky with a long range (>5km) spread, but don't count on it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
766
[USCC]
Members
2,754 posts
12,006 battles

I would always focus on torp speed over range, whatever combo you need to achieve top speed, will serve you best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,212
[VW]
Members
3,481 posts
17,232 battles
39 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Are these really useful in coop?  You get the extra range, but they are slower.

On some of the smaller maps, the range seems a bit more than needed.

And that doesn't include the bots spidey sense.

I have them researched but am not sure I need to buy them.

TY for replies.

Never waste xp researching mods you dont intend to use, you are simply delaying unlocking the next ship. This is particularly important at tier 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,470
[WOLFG]
Members
7,785 posts
5,816 battles
1 minute ago, monpetitloup said:

Never waste xp researching mods you dont intend to use, you are simply delaying unlocking the next ship. This is particularly important at tier 9.

I researched it before I checked if it was on the unlock path.

Lesson learned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,261
[PVE]
Members
10,488 posts
19,614 battles
1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Are these really useful in coop?  You get the extra range, but they are slower.

On some of the smaller maps, the range seems a bit more than needed.

And that doesn't include the bots spidey sense.

I have them researched but am not sure I need to buy them.

TY for replies.

To a degree that range can be used.

If you can get them loaded at the start of a game and before the reds are detected you can preemptive launch to known bot approach paths and many times (like 15-20% +/-) you can score some hits or even kills that way. I do this a lot with my DD's. I head for the cap at the start and send torps as soon as they load to where I expect the bots to come from. I get a lot of hits/kills doing this - but more misses.

Bots don't seem to do their magical torp dodges when they are undetected and hidden still. You can also use them late game when you are alone or down and are having to run. You can spam them back at the ones chasing you and once in a while get a hit or 2 but it's rare.

Once the game is in full swing though we all know torping the bots requires you get close and by close I mean like 3-4km max. Long range torping in Co-op is, pardon the pun, very hit or miss; and mostly miss.

EDIT - forgot. Get them anyway as the reload penalty is negligible (like 4 sec longer)  but the damage increase is significant (almost 2k more p/' torp).

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
523
[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,801 posts
5,791 battles
1 hour ago, monpetitloup said:

Never waste xp researching mods you dont intend to use, you are simply delaying unlocking the next ship.

Not by enough to worry me about it at all.  Besides, what's the rush to tier 10?  Not like it's going anywhere.  The other nine tiers will also still be there when you reach tier 10.


OP - one trick I picked up for using torpedoes against bots is to line up your shot, then deselect your target, fire the torpedoes, and get your view away from the target ship ASAP.  You don't want the client to automatically lock back on again.  This seems to defeat their 'spidey-sense'.   (Edit: This trick used to work pretty darn well, but I haven't used it in a long time.)

Of course, on a long range strike there are a dozen other things that can cause your target to make course changes, so I wouldn't use this as a strategy for 10km torpedoes in either co-op or operations.  In fact, in a cruiser I'd recommend you just save those for brown alert moments when the red bote is close aboard, already in the launch window and it's your best shot for a kill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,470
[WOLFG]
Members
7,785 posts
5,816 battles
26 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

 

EDIT - forgot. Get them anyway as the reload penalty is negligible (like 4 sec longer)  but the damage increase is significant (almost 2k more p/' torp).

From the range I'm likely to fire (you don't stealth torp a lot in the furutaka), the extra damage might be worth the speed loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,933 posts
8,575 battles

If I want a torp to hit I will fire it at <5km.

On DDs with torp options I always pick the shorter range ones... bots will dodge long range launches. 

That being said, I will use the long range torps on my ships equipped with them to "herd" bots or will fire them blind on wide spread at an area I know bots will be in. Sometimes you get a lucky hit.  

Edited by Gen_Saris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
460
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,034 posts
8,575 battles
1 hour ago, Fishrokk said:

OP - one trick I picked up for using torpedoes against bots is to line up your shot, then deselect your target, fire the torpedoes, and get your view away from the target ship ASAP.  You don't want the client to automatically lock back on again.  This seems to defeat their 'spidey-sense'.   (Edit: This trick used to work pretty darn well, but I haven't used it in a long time.)

This works from my own observations.  not a guaranteed hit because bots will adjust for other reasons too, but bot captains sail a lot straighter using this method. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,933 posts
8,575 battles
8 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

This works from my own observations.  not a guaranteed hit because bots will adjust for other reasons too, but bot captains sail a lot straighter using this method. 

It works about 2/3 of the time. That other 1/3 is what frustrates me, b/c the bot has no reason to turn and dodge the shots, but turns anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,470
[WOLFG]
Members
7,785 posts
5,816 battles
1 hour ago, Fishrokk said:

Not by enough to worry me about it at all.  Besides, what's the rush to tier 10?  Not like it's going anywhere.  The other nine tiers will also still be there when you reach tier 10.


OP - one trick I picked up for using torpedoes against bots is to line up your shot, then deselect your target, fire the torpedoes, and get your view away from the target ship ASAP.  You don't want the client to automatically lock back on again.  This seems to defeat their 'spidey-sense'.   (Edit: This trick used to work pretty darn well, but I haven't used it in a long time.)

Of course, on a long range strike there are a dozen other things that can cause your target to make course changes, so I wouldn't use this as a strategy for 10km torpedoes in either co-op or operations.  In fact, in a cruiser I'd recommend you just save those for brown alert moments when the red bote is close aboard, already in the launch window and it's your best shot for a kill.

I've been working with the unlock with improved results since I tried it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,212
[VW]
Members
3,481 posts
17,232 battles
7 hours ago, Fishrokk said:

Not by enough to worry me about it at all.  Besides, what's the rush to tier 10?  Not like it's going anywhere.  The other nine tiers will also still be there when you reach tier 10.


OP - one trick I picked up for using torpedoes against bots is to line up your shot, then deselect your target, fire the torpedoes, and get your view away from the target ship ASAP.  You don't want the client to automatically lock back on again.  This seems to defeat their 'spidey-sense'.   (Edit: This trick used to work pretty darn well, but I haven't used it in a long time.)

Of course, on a long range strike there are a dozen other things that can cause your target to make course changes, so I wouldn't use this as a strategy for 10km torpedoes in either co-op or operations.  In fact, in a cruiser I'd recommend you just save those for brown alert moments when the red bote is close aboard, already in the launch window and it's your best shot for a kill.

Its not about rushing to tier ten, it’s about rushing through tier 9, that is the worst of all tiers in terms of ships and mm. Any xp spent on anything other than those required is for me a waste. I sold all my tier 9 as soon as i ground them as did everyone else. WG noticed and implemented snowflakes in order to make us buy them back, that’s fine but still not playing any tech tree tier 9 unles i’m grinding them.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,101 posts
17,896 battles
15 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Skynet botes are the great equalizer when it comes to torps.  If you aren't within 3km of your target, good luck hitting anything.

You might get lucky with a long range (>5km) spread, but don't count on it.

This^^^^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,933 posts
8,575 battles
13 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

Its not about rushing to tier ten, it’s about rushing through tier 9, that is the worst of all tiers in terms of ships and mm. Any xp spent on anything other than those required is for me a waste. I sold all my tier 9 as soon as i ground them as did everyone else. WG noticed and implemented snowflakes in order to make us buy them back, that’s fine but still not playing any tech tree tier 9 unles i’m grinding them.

Tier 9 is nothing but a paywall before tier 10. The only 9 I even halfway like is Iowa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
184
[PHD]
Members
913 posts
4,436 battles

While probably not  the best tactic with the Furitaka when I find myself in the path of a bot rush, as I turn to tun to run, I  will send a spread towards the crowd, as long as no friends are going to be there. (I'm usually subbing for a DD as spotter )

Seems the bot spidey sense does not work as well on torps sent " to whom it may concern ". I sank a DD yesterday I didn't even see, didn't know what I hit until the post game result screen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
523
[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,801 posts
5,791 battles
17 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

Its not about rushing to tier ten, it’s about rushing through tier 9, that is the worst of all tiers in terms of ships and mm. Any xp spent on anything other than those required is for me a waste. I sold all my tier 9 as soon as i ground them as did everyone else. WG noticed and implemented snowflakes in order to make us buy them back, that’s fine but still not playing any tech tree tier 9 unles i’m grinding them.

Fair enough, man!  To each their own. 
I guess I've chosen the path of pain then.  But, like adversity builds character, having to try and succeed with crappy ships builds skill.  Have to have a high tolerance for frustration, though.  When you finally do have that break out game, it feels pretty good.

Although it doesn't always show up (*coughKarlsruhecough*).

Tier 9 is my future, though.  I've got four of 'em already, but I gotta start burning through the 13 tier 8's they're sharing berth with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
154
[PVE]
Members
826 posts
8,024 battles
5 hours ago, Gen_Saris said:

Tier 9 is nothing but a paywall before tier 10. The only 9 I even halfway like is Iowa. 

Which is a shame because on Wot there are some real keepers at t9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,933 posts
8,575 battles
4 minutes ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Which is a shame because on Wot there are some real keepers at t9.

B/c most of the tier 9s are marginally improved tier 8s, whereas tier 10s are something completely different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
680
[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,633 battles
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:32 PM, DrHolmes52 said:

Are these really useful in coop?  You get the extra range, but they are slower.

On some of the smaller maps, the range seems a bit more than needed.

And that doesn't include the bots spidey sense.

I have them researched but am not sure I need to buy them.

TY for replies.

I almost never get to use them because there's always players in the way.  But They are very good in wide-launch pattern as interdiction torpedoes (1/2 hits per game, sometimes with flooding).
If not, you have to launch them a very close range, but the Furrytaco isn't the Scharnhorst, you often don't survive long enough to get that close.. :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
154
[PVE]
Members
826 posts
8,024 battles

More range is always good, the bots don't always dodge plus you can launch them when they are bow in towards you to get a few hits. Extra damage is always good too because it could be the difference in killing the battleship or having a very angry battleship left on a few thousand health that just finished his reload.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×