You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Meeso_Thorny

Captain Skill change proposal

18 comments in this topic

Members
308 posts
1,877 battles

Expert loader: instead of a 50% reload reduction on changing ammo types when guns are fully loaded...

Expert Loader: Half of main battery fires HE, half of main battery fires AP (when skill is active via '4' key or something)

Thoughts?

Edited by Meeso_Thorny

[HINON]
Members
12,382 posts
11 minutes ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

Expert loader: instead of a 50% reload reduction on changing ammo types when guns are fully loaded...

Expert Loader: Half of main battery fires HE, half of main battery fires AP (when skill is active via '4' key or something)

Thoughts?

It won't work because the aiming system cannot handle HE and AP shells at the same time because they often have different flight characteristics.

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 4

Members
308 posts
1,877 battles
1 minute ago, RipNuN2 said:

It won't work because the aiming system cannot handle HE and AP shells at the same time because they often have different flight characteristics.

You get the aiming for AP or HE depending on which is "primary"

For instance if you have AP loaded and you press 4 half your armament will reload HE, if you double tap 4 half your armament will load HE immediately. You will have to use Skill™ to decide which part of your salvo you want to be on target and how to get it there (For some ships this will be easier or harder than others)

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
8,968 posts
7,889 battles
15 minutes ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

Thoughts?

I‘d deem using that a downgrade over the current EL. EL at the moment is there to allow you react to an unexpected opportunity, by switching shells quickly and then unleashing in most cases an AP salvo instead of HE.

The skill you propose would seriously screw over a number of ships with different muzzle velocities and shell drags, and would make it a skill for those who can‘t select shells properly. 

Members
308 posts
1,877 battles
8 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

I‘d deem using that a downgrade over the current EL. EL at the moment is there to allow you react to an unexpected opportunity, by switching shells quickly and then unleashing in most cases an AP salvo instead of HE.

The skill you propose would seriously screw over a number of ships with different muzzle velocities and shell drags, and would make it a skill for those who can‘t select shells properly. 

If WG has the capacity for it, I would love to see which skills are taken most/least because I would expect to see EL near the bottom, which is a shame considering everything except carriers has main battery artillery. But I could be wrong

I see this as a skill for cruisers and battleships which have multiple ships of varying size moving in and out of concealment in front of them and are changing ammo types frequently but would like to hedge their bets

[-BUI-]
Members
1,453 posts
4,631 battles

Would be better to just reduce the benefit and make it work regardless of how much ammo is loaded, etc.     I avoid this skill because it would rarely work for me, since I don't sail broadside all game long.

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
8,968 posts
7,889 battles
3 minutes ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

If WG has the capacity for it, I would love to see which skills are taken most/least because I would expect to see EL near the bottom, which is a shame considering everything except carriers has main battery artillery. But I could be wrong

I see this as a skill for cruisers and battleships which have multiple ships of varying size moving in and out of concealment in front of them and are changing ammo types frequently but would like to hedge their bets

Such a list would be a bit flawed for a few reasons.

1. a lot of players without exact knowledge on what to do and without highly trained captain will be using lower tier skills more often than higher tiered ones

2. a number of misleading skills, which while being questionable, are picked by players who do not understand the game mechanics fully (SE on Battleships for example)

3 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Would be better to just reduce the benefit and make it work regardless of how much ammo is loaded, etc.     I avoid this skill because it would rarely work for me, since I don't sail broadside all game long.

EL is extremely potent on ships like Zao and Hindenburg, Cruisers with a relatively long reload but still devastating AP broadsides. Been using it to good success on both ships.

[U571]
Members, Volunteer Moderator
389 posts
4,871 battles
3 minutes ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

You just described why the current EL is a skill. Take for example a BB pusing a cap and knowing a DD is attempting to intercept him, he would switch ammunition with the reduced reload and have HE ready to blast it out of the water. However, with your new skill only have your ammunition would do full damage as it would be half HE and half AP. What about ships with no rear turrets or ones with just a single bow and stern turret?

Members
308 posts
1,877 battles
3 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Such a list would be a bit flawed for a few reasons.

1. a lot of players without exact knowledge on what to do and without highly trained captain will be using lower tier skills more often than higher tiered ones

2. a number of misleading skills, which while being questionable, are picked by players who do not understand the game mechanics fully (SE on Battleships for example)

EL is extremely potent on ships like Zao and Hindenburg, Cruisers with a relatively long reload but still devastating AP broadsides. Been using it to good success on both ships.

Which other ships do you use EL on?

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
8,968 posts
7,889 battles
2 minutes ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

Which other ships do you use EL on?

Currently, Buffalo (John Doe), Moskva and Baltimore, and am considering it on Algerie since I just got her. and it is a heavy Cruiser skill.

Members
308 posts
1,877 battles
4 minutes ago, mfumukoskoldpadda said:

You just described why the current EL is a skill. Take for example a BB pusing a cap and knowing a DD is attempting to intercept him, he would switch ammunition with the reduced reload and have HE ready to blast it out of the water. However, with your new skill only have your ammunition would do full damage as it would be half HE and half AP. What about ships with no rear turrets or ones with just a single bow and stern turret?

Assuming his guns had already been quiet for ~30 seconds and he's willing to wait another ~15 seconds to be ready for this DD; I think most BB captains spend a point on another skill and just shoot what they have loaded/switching on the reload. This is an attempt to make what I think is a rarely taken skill at least tempting

[TDRB]
Members
3,881 posts
11,667 battles
1 hour ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

Thoughts?

While it sounds good in theory, I doubt if it would work in game without a lot of issues.

[U571]
Members, Volunteer Moderator
389 posts
4,871 battles
11 minutes ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

Assuming his guns had already been quiet for ~30 seconds and he's willing to wait another ~15 seconds to be ready for this DD; I think most BB captains spend a point on another skill and just shoot what they have loaded/switching on the reload. This is an attempt to make what I think is a rarely taken skill at least tempting

But this proposal reduces their effectiveness by halfing their firepower against any given targets. Especially with different shell travel times.

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,798 posts
4,837 battles

This simply would not work due to the massive differences in shell weight, velocities, and drag. You'd be missing some shells and hitting others and overall just gimping yourself.

I'd rather hit my AP salvo of 9 shells from Missouri than hit 3-4 of AP and miss 3-4 of HE. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles
1 hour ago, Meeso_Thorny said:

Thoughts?

go and look at ships like the alaska, the travel times of shells are different so this change would mean to hit with your he all your app would hit to the rear or not at all and vice versa

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

Even if flight characteristics were the same.. I'm not particularly fond of this idea. Mixed ammo types would just make me feel icky...

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,118 posts

Funny how the enhanced EL skill is one of the two skills US super captains get when literally none of the end tier ships have any use for it.