You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Shasha_16

Shards as a T10 map. It is not fun at all.

53 comments in this topic

[-BN-]
Members
72 posts
12,223 battles

Dear Wargaming, please remove shards from T10 rotation. I don't know how thought shards would be a great map, but everyone hides behind the island. Not to mention that you don't get to shoot for decent periods in between game. 

[-K--]
Members
3,989 posts
18,746 battles

Every map everybody hides behind islands :Smile_hiding:Actually don't mind the map,  I would get super excited if they had like 20 different maps per tier to choose from 

I think that's the one thing they really are lacking on during the whole development of this game we need more maps WG

• Cool 3

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles

Instead of removing it, how would you change it to make it more bearable for you?

[SOFOP]
Members
1,770 posts
11,971 battles

Make all maps available for all tiers, just change the scaling to suit the tier if needed.  More maps can never be a bad thing.  I'd even go for a ":random" map, where it just creates a completely random map.

• Cool 3

[-K--]
Members
3,989 posts
18,746 battles
12 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

Instead of removing it, how would you change it to make it more bearable for you?

How about a lot more maps and I mean a lot more

• Cool 1

[NSEW]
Members
1,604 posts
10,019 battles
11 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

Not sure the tone of that sentence is suitable. 

Can't tell if that was a tongue in cheek reply, or a genuine over sight of the English language usage.:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,118 posts

I mean, Shards now is pretty Garbo with no personality like it used to have in the island design or color palette. As boring as warmed over plain porridge. :cap_old:

[NDA]
Supertester
5,317 posts
16,331 battles
29 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

First, I didn't think the Shards map needed a massive over haul. But than it only saw mid tier ship. Yeah there was that one lone island south of the B cap that tended to be a ship magnet for useless captains. It was an ok map not sure why the radical redesign or letting T10s play it. 

Second, I think some of the problem with Shards is it looks just enough like the old map to lull players into treating it like the old map. But it isn't like the old version and we haven't figured out how to properly play it yet. Getting frustrated as you and the team flay about trying to play on this new map is going to lead to frustration. 

Third, For some reason every time I look at the New Shards its cover seems to be there so ship who use it will get shot at. For instance A and C caps are open on one side but are ringed with Islands on the other side. But these island don't really benefit the ship on cap, they seem to benefit players outside the cap who have almost free rein to attack the ship on cap. Why is it the Northern team is closer to C cap which doesn't favor their cap'ing it and the reverse is true for the Southern team and the A cap? 

Fourth, What was wrong with the Old Shards? Was there a reason for this change? Why are T10 ships suddenly seeing a map that used to be for T5 through T8 ships? 

Fifth, Why Don't you redesign Mountain Range? A map that is a pain to play in every Random configuration. 

[CUTIE]
Members
245 posts
9,475 battles

Why not a larger ocean map for higher tiers? At least there would be room for BBs on each side to maneuver without being perma spotted, no islands for cruisers to hide behind, but with no need to fight at point-blank range either. 

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
[CRMSN]
Members
62 posts
12,091 battles
28 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

Garbo with no personality like it used to have in the island design or color palette

Agreed so much. The first time I played the map, I thought "Hmmm, this new map kinda looks like Schards. Should play similarly"

The lack of color just makes it dull, but frankly, I like the old Shards so much more. I'd just bring that map back for mid tiers, and make a modified one like this for Tier X games. It doesn't strike me as a terrible map, but there's nothing about it that stands out. The old Shards had that factor that just made it a blast to play. This one doesn't IMO

[H_]
Members
729 posts
11,468 battles

How about for the umpteenth millionth time we have a user base Map Design contest.. Pick the top 10? 20?  do final development and  put them in the rotation.. or heck let's take the low tier maps and resize them and use them for the top tier matches, and vice versus.. at least that would be different.

I can't imagine with the folks that play this game that they could not come up with some really good designs.  Rewards: Any map selected gets "something".

Top maps  #1 get's the latest and greatest ship, some dubs.. etc.. and so on down the lane, maybe Premium time.. BUT WG would need to make it worthwhile.

Heck you could even while designing the map maybe suggest some alternate battle modes.. Hey  wonder what it would be like playing Capture the flag with ships?  e.g. Take the flag from the Base and have to return it to your own?  oh my.. so many options.

PS: here is a battle mode that you see in a lot of game. "Death match"  each ship is his own team.. NOBODY is on a team.. sure you could make alliances but in the end.. only 1.  each ship spawns at different points in the map.

Edited by S16_Hunter
content
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
23,947 posts
24,450 battles
56 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

Honestly, I'm not fond of some of the changes on the Shards map.  I don't like how all the islands around caps A and C were turned into long, thin islands that all point at the center of their associated cap point.  This makes them look almost exactly the same as the islands around B cap on Shatter.

Seriously, it's like there's not a shred of originality in the map designers group (or the rebalancers).  Every damned map is starting to look the same.  And boring as hell.  And all the damned high tier maps are clones of one another.  3 rows north and south largely barren of islands with a 4 row band in between where the caps are, which is completely infested with islands (when in a N/S orientation; or it's just the same thing, just with columns instead of rows, when the map is in a E/W orientation.

I saw those 3 new proposed maps.  They're terrible.  They're just 3 new iterations of the same damned 3/4/3 layout.  BORING AS HELL!!!  

Bring back the original version of Islands of Ice. And if it needs to play a little smaller (which I think was the complaint about it originally, i.e. it played too large), then crop off the top 1-2 rows and left most 1-2 columns, and then just rescale/resize/whatever to re-establish the 10 by 10 grid, and perhaps massage the NW islands to remove the NW passage which really was a big part of the reason that map played so large.  The original Islands of Ice was an OUTSTANDING map, that's dozens of times better than the 3rd or 4th versions of that map.  It's a map that had real character, unlike these brain dead, boring as hell, newer high tier maps.

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
[CRMSN]
Members
62 posts
12,091 battles

I believe Okinawa was a community design. It needed a little tweaking, but I really don't think it was a bad map. I'd like to see it happen more often. A lot of the maps that I find as fun (Two Brothers, Soloman Islands, Trident) have been here for ages. Some fresh stuff would be nice, especially with cool battle modes. I'd like to see a battle mode where you one team is trapped in a cap by AI, and the enemy team has to help them to get out. I don't want to look at the guy on the other team as my moral enemy. I'd love the idea of both teams working towards a common goal in some type of battle scenerio

[FTH]
Members
1,001 posts
15,074 battles

Make it entertaining, let T10s play on Solomon Islands...that should sort out part of it, lol.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
23,947 posts
24,450 battles
4 minutes ago, Tsukiumi_Chan said:

Agreed so much. The first time I played the map, I thought "Hmmm, this new map kinda looks like Schards. Should play similarly"

The lack of color just makes it dull, but frankly, I like the old Shards so much more. I'd just bring that map back for mid tiers, and make a modified one like this for Tier X games. It doesn't strike me as a terrible map, but there's nothing about it that stands out. The old Shards had that factor that just made it a blast to play. This one doesn't IMO

Tsukiumi, there are some aspects to the new version of Shards that are OK.  I just don't like how the islands around the A and C caps are nothing but long, thin islands that all point at the center of those caps.  That makes them boring as hell and too much like B cap on Shatter.

I agree with you that the color palette for Shards is quite boring.  I can think of at least a couple of ways to improve it.

1. Make most of the islands covered with nice green trees.  (If necessary, make the islands more well rounded to make them more appropriate for heavy tree cover.)  And perhaps change the color palette of the sky to be a nice blue, or possibly a darker, near dusk shade.

2. Make the map into an arctic map where everything is covered in snow and ice, i.e. white.  And make the possibility of a blizzard relatively common.

[SALVO]
Members
23,947 posts
24,450 battles
2 hours ago, Shasha_16 said:

Dear Wargaming, please remove shards from T10 rotation. I don't know how thought shards would be a great map, but everyone hides behind the island. Not to mention that you don't get to shoot for decent periods in between game. 

Honestly, I can't remember every playing tier 10's on Shards, unless this is something new since the Shards rework was released in the latest update.

Members
5,935 posts
6,834 battles
1 hour ago, Radar_X said:

Return it to the previous version.

Seriously, there wasn't anything wrong with the original map. Why it was changed, I'll likely never know, but like a lot of maps that have been "revised" it's worse now than it was before.

A suggestion, if I may, how about instead of completely replacing a map when it gets reworked, introduce the altered version as a 'new' map under a different name?

However, this should only be done to maps that get seriously altered, like Shards did. If it's simply a few island rotations and height changes, then it shouldn't  become a separate, new map. But when changes to the map completely change the geography and map layout, like, again Shards, and Islands of Ice is also a really good example, then just make it a separate map and leave the original in rotation. Like how North is now very different from it's original iteration, but Northern Lights is still just a reskin of the original North map.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
7,674 posts
12,620 battles
1 hour ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Make all maps available for all tiers, just change the scaling to suit the tier if needed.  More maps can never be a bad thing.  I'd even go for a ":random" map, where it just creates a completely random map.

Would love to see high tier ships in the crazy low tier maps like Solomon Islands or Fault Line.

But at the end of the day, we simply need more maps that aren't the same type of gameplay as the rest.  It's one of the reasons people like Two Brothers and the old Islands of Ice so much.  They offer different types of tactical gameplay than all the others.

[O-PN]
Members
9,055 posts
10,251 battles
1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

First, I didn't think the Shards map needed a massive over haul. But than it only saw mid tier ship. Yeah there was that one lone island south of the B cap that tended to be a ship magnet for useless captains. It was an ok map not sure why the radical redesign or letting T10s play it. 

Second, I think some of the problem with Shards is it looks just enough like the old map to lull players into treating it like the old map. But it isn't like the old version and we haven't figured out how to properly play it yet. Getting frustrated as you and the team flay about trying to play on this new map is going to lead to frustration. 

Third, For some reason every time I look at the New Shards its cover seems to be there so ship who use it will get shot at. For instance A and C caps are open on one side but are ringed with Islands on the other side. But these island don't really benefit the ship on cap, they seem to benefit players outside the cap who have almost free rein to attack the ship on cap. Why is it the Northern team is closer to C cap which doesn't favor their cap'ing it and the reverse is true for the Southern team and the A cap? 

Fourth, What was wrong with the Old Shards? Was there a reason for this change? Why are T10 ships suddenly seeing a map that used to be for T5 through T8 ships? 

Fifth, Why Don't you redesign Mountain Range? A map that is a pain to play in every Random configuration. 

I 2nd this man's 5 motions.

• Cool 1

[PHASE]
Members
5,791 posts
18,813 battles
2 hours ago, Radar_X said:

The key to map change and behavior change is having the teams spawn in different locations. After a certain amount of games almost all players rush to the same strategic spot and the game becomes "who is new and doesn't know the map loses"

In this example with this map, have each team spawn South, one East one West, maybe only one cap or two but both further North.

We could keep all maps the same but change the points of importance around so that there is less rushing to one spot and camping all game. Or, more new maps would be nice as well.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,645 posts
12,801 battles

I'm a sadist but I'd have a channel/server that was all ocean, all epicenter, all the time. With a all T10 CV 26 v 26:Smile_trollface: 

[INTEL]
Members
11,808 posts
32,898 battles
9 hours ago, silverdahc said:

Every map everybody hides behind islands :Smile_hiding:Actually don't mind the map,  I would get super excited if they had like 20 different maps per tier to choose from 

I think that's the one thing they really are lacking on during the whole development of this game we need more maps WG

Lucky they put all that effort into emblems, eh? 

• Cool 1