You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HazardDrake

"We have no spotting"

31 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,710 posts
11,931 battles

So just got out of a game where half of our team was camping hard outside of a cap, blowing a clear 2-1 numerical superiority. Their excuse? "We have no spotting." We had lost two of our DDs early game in this no CV game.

As someone who is a DD main, but can play cruisers and BBs, I have this to say in reply to teammates in the above situation: "[edited]."

Seriously, if you have "No spotting" then your positioning sucks HARD. Often my best ships for spotting are my battleships, GK and Republique, though Hindy does well, as does the ever squishy Saelem. The only reason DDs are so critical is because everyone else is making sweet sweet love to an island or took the range mod and fully intends to use it 19k away. There isn't jack crap that I can do as a DD to stop a push that is accompanied by even a little WASDing.

So please, that excuse is just that, an excuse.

Thank you for putting up with this rant from a DD player who is sick of having to drag their team by the nose to victory.

• Cool 8

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,168 posts
6,051 battles

As someone who got "Scout" in a Maus multiple times over in WoT, I couldn't agree more. You have this thing called "armor" built into your ship, USE IT!

• Cool 1

[DPG]
Members
1,765 posts
7,922 battles

Did you say that to your team when they gave you that response?  If not, do you think they're going to see it here?

Beta Testers
4 posts

The first player to cut and run from a fight will most likely be the Battleship. My Win Rate sucks but at least I don't cut and run to protect it. I have a lot of admiration for a tough desy player or any tough player fighting to hold the line. Many times they are the only ones holding the line besides me. So suck it up cupcake WR suckers as soon as you turn around - you lost.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[WOLF6]
Members
1,452 posts
4,732 battles
44 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

As someone who got "Scout" in a Maus multiple times over in WoT, I couldn't agree more. You have this thing called "armor" built into your ship, USE IT!

Nice. I get it regularly in the Centurion AX though that's a little different from a Maus. Light tanks are so much rarer than DDs too so someone has to do it!

[U571]
Members
2,118 posts
14,101 battles

GK I think is one of the best Spotters, you can get in closer and take a bit of heat.  Plus you become primary target thus light up all the ships firing at you.  Make your turn, and get half the enemy team to chase you across the map.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,164 posts
3,956 battles

A lot of times the DDs and Cruisers spotting get killed because the rest of the team sits around and waits too long to do anything.

Had a game yesterday where we had a superior force on our side with a DD spotting with me (Seattle) pushed up on the flank behind cover helping him with Radar and fire support.

We held the position for about 7-8 straight minutes and the only ship on the team to push up the flank was an Alaska which retreated after nearly reaching me. 

Eventually the enemy was able to round some ships to our side, exposing me and the DD. Highlighted them and requested help but no gun was fired in anger at them. We both sank, and then the enemy used to flank to decimate the rest of the team including an Iowa that literally didn't move from spawn until there was 9 minutes left, despite being present (he was shooting) the entire battle.

I have no problems losing when we all try, but jesus it's torture to be on these teams where half the team would die from lack of oxygen if mommy didn't remind them to breathe.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[DEV_X]
Supertester
2,223 posts
21,252 battles
3 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

So just got out of a game where half of our team was camping hard outside of a cap, blowing a clear 2-1 numerical superiority. Their excuse? "We have no spotting." We had lost two of our DDs early game in this no CV game.

As someone who is a DD main, but can play cruisers and BBs, I have this to say in reply to teammates in the above situation: "[edited]."

Seriously, if you have "No spotting" then your positioning sucks HARD. Often my best ships for spotting are my battleships, GK and Republique, though Hindy does well, as does the ever squishy Saelem. The only reason DDs are so critical is because everyone else is making sweet sweet love to an island or took the range mod and fully intends to use it 19k away. There isn't jack crap that I can do as a DD to stop a push that is accompanied by even a little WASDing.

Thank you for putting up with this rant from a DD player who is sick of having to drag their team by the nose to victory.

I hate to bring it up but I have to, people complain about being spotted by carriers but here is a perfect situation in which carriers add to the game.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,710 posts
11,931 battles
5 hours ago, Amenhir said:

Did you say that to your team when they gave you that response?  If not, do you think they're going to see it here?

Yes I did.

[SYN]
Members
5,472 posts
12,704 battles

That guy in a high-stealth DD who drives out way in front of everyone else, pops smoke, then parks in it and waits, blind.

That urge to reach across the internet and slap someone...

:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
3,371 posts
15,040 battles
1 hour ago, Madwolf05 said:

A lot of times the DDs and Cruisers spotting get killed because the rest of the team sits around and waits too long to do anything.

Had a game yesterday where we had a superior force on our side with a DD spotting with me (Seattle) pushed up on the flank behind cover helping him with Radar and fire support.

We held the position for about 7-8 straight minutes and the only ship on the team to push up the flank was an Alaska which retreated after nearly reaching me. 

Eventually the enemy was able to round some ships to our side, exposing me and the DD. Highlighted them and requested help but no gun was fired in anger at them. We both sank, and then the enemy used to flank to decimate the rest of the team including an Iowa that literally didn't move from spawn until there was 9 minutes left, despite being present (he was shooting) the entire battle.

I have no problems losing when we all try, but jesus it's torture to be on these teams where half the team would die from lack of oxygen if mommy didn't remind them to breathe.

BINGO, we have a winner !

As a DD prime, there is this Zone of Silence most games....  Especially, matches where you aren't with a division from your clan.....   That zone is the 10 to 12K's of nothing between where you are and the CA's/BB's waiting for you to die for them spotting....  And, if they get testy, they report you, shoot at you, and if you die early, they chastise you for being a potato or worse.   Is that fun?  NO, so many of us are staying in COOP and scenarios until the CA/BB community gets their act together and joins the fight early on.....    Of course, that isn't going to happen any time soon so, I play so much less in WoWs now than I did and spend ZERO on it anymore.....  Too bad, it was a good game before the cruiser line split and the gimmick Radar meta nonsense.......and now, the frightful CV...whatever that was???  It sure was a huge mess to DD's that really doesn't feel "resolved?"

Well said Maswolf05. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,917 posts
14,266 battles

BB's fear to move and use the larger hp and armor in this game.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,035 posts
9,663 battles

I (if remember to) warn teammates to please support me at a cap. If they camp, I won't even contest the cap. If they have a problem with it, tough: my DD's survival is more important than suiciding. They refuse to stop camping, I simply abandon them and go to another cap.

No apologies either. At the tiers where Shima/Fletcher/Khab/Groz/Haru see a lot of action, it is flat-out impossible not to figure out DDs require support.

[CAST]
Members
4,862 posts
3,407 battles

For me, it's simple: If my team is going to lose because of a massive points bleed from lost caps, then I'll try and cap regardless of the ship I'm using. Saving my skin but losing the match would just make me feel like an idiot. Mind you, that's not to say I yolo in without trying to evaluate where the enemy team is first.

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
485 posts
5,082 battles

It's really sad when I have to shoot at red DD's in a Yamoto because our Cruisers are either running away, hiding behind an island they can't possibly shoot over, or are way out of range.

[INTEL]
Members
1,593 posts
13,577 battles

7 green ships being held off by 3 light cruisers who are parked behind islands.

Full hp BB players late game who refuse to push because torps.... and not a single torp ship left on the red.

DD players who dont go near anything because.... "I have 20km torps"... yes a Shima player actually said that.

5 greens who chase a BB all the way to the 1 line... as the timer ticks down... reminds me of the seagulls in Finding Nemo.

• Funny 1

[WOLFG]
Members
26,640 posts
6,721 battles
6 hours ago, Larkelf said:

The first player to cut and run from a fight will most likely be the Battleship. My Win Rate sucks but at least I don't cut and run to protect it. 

The thing is, "protecting your WR" means winning.

You know, the object of the game? The reason most players are there?

If you just want to YOLO and blow stuff up, you can do that in PvE, because it doesn't sound like you're there to win.

Edit: just leaving a downvote without presenting a dissenting opinion is just like "cutting and running" in a BB.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

Members
1,243 posts
5,495 battles

I find DD's get themselves killed by charging into a cap blind when they don't yet know where the radar cruiser are, sit in the open, then [edited] at the rest of the team who didn't suicide with them.

This game requires patience and thinking at least 2 minutes ahead.  It's not Counterstrike.  If you die in the first 2 minutes, it is your own damn fault.

As for spotting, if nothing is seen then no one is shooting.  Good time to turn around if you aren't sure and bait people to shoot and/or follow you.  But a BB can't close closer than 15km till they know where the DD's are unless they want to die too.  

In short, if everyone remembers to not overextend and move as a group then spotting wouldn't be an issue.  Many people are mental midgets though and don't understand WHY someone is sitting back.  And some people sitting back are only doing it because they are too scared to get closer.  Most people can't tell the difference.

• Cool 1

[-BUI-]
Members
1,453 posts
4,631 battles
5 hours ago, Larkelf said:

The first player to cut and run from a fight will most likely be the Battleship. My Win Rate sucks but at least I don't cut and run to protect it. I have a lot of admiration for a tough desy player or any tough player fighting to hold the line. Many times they are the only ones holding the line besides me. So suck it up cupcake WR suckers as soon as you turn around - you lost.

Retreat is sometimes the correct move though, if you are heavily outnumbered (aka, MOST of the enemy team is pushing your side), turning around and running away while putting as much fire on the enemy as possible (and avoiding as much as possible) is better than charging into your death 1000 times out 1000.   

Living ships can do damage, dead ships do nothing.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
4 posts
4 hours ago, Skpstr said:

The thing is, "protecting your WR" means winning.

You know, the object of the game? The reason most players are there?

If you just want to YOLO and blow stuff up, you can do that in PvE, because it doesn't sound like you're there to win.

Edit: just leaving a downvote without presenting a dissenting opinion is just like "cutting and running" in a BB.

You're WR will go down hill fast if you don't push and fight. Battleships are fighters they get punched and still push. If your WR is more important, I'm fine with that. If you can't take the heat in a battleship then don't play it. You precious WR will thank you for it. 

Beta Testers
4 posts
3 hours ago, Zenn3k said:

Retreat is sometimes the correct move though, if you are heavily outnumbered (aka, MOST of the enemy team is pushing your side), turning around and running away while putting as much fire on the enemy as possible (and avoiding as much as possible) is better than charging into your death 1000 times out 1000.   

Living ships can do damage, dead ships do nothing.

You turn away and run from a fight in a Battleship - you lost - There's fewer guns and little armor on the back-end . If you fight to hold the corner, while the rest of the team is going around the other side, you'll slow the reds down enough for the others to cap/destroy.  It's that simple. This game is like any other game out there. You have to be tough and aggressive enough to hold and or push. I'm talking about battleships taking the heat up close.  -  If you turn and run, you will give up the corner/area. You opponent will be on you and your cap like stink on squat.  I'll give you that there are a  few instances (very few) that it's wise to run but you have  to still position yourself for a stand.  I'll play the Alabama. This ship can't put damage out unless it gets within 15k. There's no turning around then and that's pretty much true with all battleships.

[GTF]
Members
206 posts
10,456 battles

Have to agree with the OP.  In games with no DD, even in CoOp, it is interesting to watch everyone bunch up on the islands while I bob and weave tryin to spot somethin'. I get it with alot of the squishy cruisers but a Hindenburg hiding behind an island is a travesty lol!  And BBs behind mountains..is just ..well...weird....BBs are the mountains where ever they go....as my constant non pens with HE can attest.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,009 posts
16,924 battles

My favorite recent "no spotting" episode was a Gearing who bitched me out all game for not spotting for him. Eventually an enemy Yamato crawled up his butt and killed him in his smoke. I sent compliments to the brave Massachusetts player who tried to explain to him whose fault that was, because you can probably guess how that chat went down.

[WOLF3]
Members
23,562 posts
21,117 battles
11 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

Image result for potatoes gonna potate gif

• Funny 1