You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wows_Nightly_News

An interesting question on HE penetration.

10 comments in this topic

Members
1,695 posts
8,603 battles

So we were just talking about the IJN and their torps on another thread and a got to looking at some of the in game models. And when I got to Kii I had to ask myself a rather odd question.

Can an HE shell damage a module through part of the ship?

If you look on Kii the torpedoes are tucked away under 32mm deck

shot-19_03.11_22_40.24-0743.thumb.jpg.acc9164a0c9573317963422c2a1d337e.jpgshot-19_03.11_22_40.29-0957.thumb.jpg.e5d399139908100114eda29bb3674734.jpg

so if a large he shell or dive bomb strikes and penetrates that deck, would it knock out or possibly destroy the torps. In real life yes but is have no idea how it would work in the game model.

Edited by Wows_Nightly_News
  • Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,169 posts
6,068 battles

I would assume so, I've had shots hit me that seem to damage modules through parts of the superstructure before, but I can't say for certain. This sounds like a job for a bunch of bored friends and a training room. Scientists, get on it!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,149 posts
13,310 battles

It is an open bay on the broadside so I see no reason that even non-penetrating hits should not destroy/incapacitate that module as long as the hit in that section of the ship and hits the side armor.

[INTEL]
Members
11,722 posts
32,786 battles

Sorry, but He is light and does not penetrate well. In fact it tends to rise into the atmosphere...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[TBW]
Members
9,231 posts
16,123 battles

HE sucks even with IFHE. It's fire starting and collecting capabilities are lame. aegis is broken because the BBs run and no one realizes that you have to kill them for the star. Dumb down HE more, It was the most trained for thing on my lame ship, because it was the most feared. Ships all carry fuel, not just heir own fuel but fuel for other ships, planes, and helicopters. Random battles, well, you can just be scewed from any where. there is now way to plan a battle. Communication is lame, to say the least. Let's make a game mode that is random and Random with a leader. The leader can talk to all participants, other wise it goes by division. Leader is determined by a vote before the game starts. What stats are shown when voting for the leader could be determined.

C,mon WG a leader is very important, it's about time we had a mode that has one. Random mode with or whiteout a leader would be nice. I would rather follow a plan. Make it so that potential admirals can be voted for and that the whole team can hear them. Call it, "We finally have a leader Random Battles mode" and make it a new mode.

Pick a Leader Mode..

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,169 posts
6,068 battles
11 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

*Leader Mode*

• Cool 3

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,301 posts
9,279 battles

All HE shells have several hidden stats:

• How much module damage they do.  This is a base value that gets modified, up or down, by RNG on top of other factors
  • How much blast-penetration they have (this is different from armour penetration and is used to damage modules)
  • The size of the blast they create.

It's important to remember that HE shells always detonate on contact of whatever surface they strike.  They don't physically penetrate anything.  So when an HE shell strikes an armoured surface, it blows up immediately.  HE doesn't care about armour angling -- when checking to do hit point damage to a ship, it merely compares the armour value it strikes with its own penetration (modified by IFHE).  If it exceeds, it does damage.  If it meets or is less, no damage is done.  This has no impact on fire chance which is calculated separately.

Module damage, on the other hand, is stupidly complicated.  It works generally like this:

1. When the HE shell strikes, a cube is drawn around the point of impact.  The diameter of this blast is a hidden value but it's easily datamined.  For example, a USN 127mm/38 HE shell has a blast of 5.7m while a Conqueror 457mm HE shell has a blast of 48.75m.
  2. All modules within this blast are attacked.
  3. Damage for each module is checked individually.  An RNG roll is made modifying the base module damage value of the HE attack.  This damage value is different from the shell / bomb /torpedo damage listed in port.  I believe it's successfully datamined, but with the RNG value attached to it, confirming this value is difficult.
  4. Armour between the blast's origin and the module itself can reduce the amount of damage received.  If the damage is reduced to zero, the module is unaffected.  The rate at which damage is absorbed is unknown.
  5. "Blast Penetration" is an HE attack's ability to mitigate some of this armour, reducing the amount of damage lost for punching through it.
  6. Similarly, some modules may additional protection to further mitigate damage built into their design.  It's uncertain if this acts as armour (as above), a damage reduction coefficient or an outright saving throw to avoid damage.
  7. Damaged modules check for critical hits per their module type.  Some are easier to incapacitate than others.  Some, like AA and secondary mounts cannot be critically hit.  If a Magazine takes a successful critical hit, the ship is destroyed.
  8. Weapon mounts (Main Battery, Secondary Battery, AA Guns and Torpedoes) are destroyed if their HP reaches zero.  Engines, Magazines and Steering Gears cannot be destroyed.

So, to answer your question:  Yes, it's possible to destroyer Kii's torpedoes with deck hits with a sufficiently powerful HE attack.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 8
  • Funny 1

Members
1,695 posts
8,603 battles
3 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Armour between the blast's origin and the module itself can reduce the amount of damage received.  If the damage is reduced to zero, the module is unaffected.  The rate at which damage is absorbed is unknown.

This is the mechanic I wasn't sure about. Thank you.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,301 posts
9,279 battles
1 minute ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

This is the mechanic I wasn't sure about. Thank you.

You're welcome.  This rough explanation at 2am was brought to you by:  Caffeine -- fueling creative types to produce content through crippling depression at obscene hours at night!  :cap_haloween:
sy2xN.jpg

• Cool 4
  • Funny 5

Members
1,695 posts
8,603 battles
2 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

You're welcome.  This rough explanation at 2am was brought to you by:  Caffeine -- fueling creative types to produce content through crippling depression at obscene hours at night!  :cap_haloween:
sy2xN.jpg

Thanks again can sympathize

• Cool 1