You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WizardFerret

So what is happening with submarines?

132 comments in this topic

Members
144 posts
5,239 battles

After the Halloween event, it was kinda hinted on that subs might be added in a future date. However we haven't really heard much about this lately. Anyone know what is gonna be done with them?

• Cool 7
  • Angry 2

Supertester
2,988 posts
4,104 battles

Im sure they are debating it, possibly in very early stages of development? For now the focus is on CVs, and helping them fit in. No promises yet, so it all may be for nothing...

• Cool 2

Members
144 posts
5,239 battles
Just now, crickethunter_brown said:

if they bring out the subs they better bring out something to hit them with like depth charges just waiting for them to surface will not be easy.

Destroyers and also some cruisers carried depth charges. Maybe there would be some kind of depth charge plane too.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,633 posts
12,782 battles
7 minutes ago, WizardFerret said:

After the Halloween event, it was kinda hinted on that subs might be added in a future date. However we haven't really heard much about this lately. Anyone know what is gonna be done with them?

I think they are just getting through the rapids of the CV rework. I wouldn't be surprised if all of WG/WoWS is taking vacation and trying to get a little R&R after the impact of the rework was fully recognized.

I'd guess subs may be later in the year.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
12,022 posts
11 minutes ago, WizardFerret said:

They'll be out on the 32nd of Nopevember.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 5

[RKLES]
Members
11,295 posts
12,715 battles
4 minutes ago, crickethunter_brown said:

if they bring out the subs they better bring out something to hit them with like depth charges just waiting for them to surface will not be easy.

I can pretty much garrenteed that the day subs are added, depth charges will also be added.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,099 battles

they are already here,you just can't see them yet.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[CSALT]
Members
1,396 posts
4 minutes ago, WizardFerret said:

Destroyers and also some cruisers carried depth charges. Maybe there would be some kind of depth charge plane too.

Forget depth charges, I want Hedgehogs on my RN cruisers and DDs....

• Cool 3

[IXM]
Members
869 posts
3,934 battles

They can't even balance CVs, I guarantee subs will be a disaster. I'd expect they won't even consider them until much later in the year, at the earliest.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,190 posts
6,127 battles
2 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I'd guess subs may be later in the year.

That sounds very optimistic to me, middle of next year sounds like the earliest a change of this magnitude would happen. It would also surprise me if they went straight to implementation without some kind of public test of PvE ASW (player surface ships v. bot subs) to make sure those systems are working. Halloween would present a perfect opportunity for something like that.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,633 posts
12,782 battles
Just now, Landsraad said:

Halloween would present a perfect opportunity for something like that.

They did last Halloween 

Supertester
2,988 posts
4,104 battles

As a BB main, Im a little scared. I dont foresee myself getting depth charges. A dd I can anticipate where he will be, but a sub can just go anywhere and do anything. Id just be a meatbag for him to club. Hopefully there will be at least some counter there. Otherwise, I say bring on the subs!

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,633 posts
12,782 battles
Just now, _1204_ said:

As a BB main, Im a little scared. I dont foresee myself getting depth charges. A dd I can anticipate where he will be, but a sub can just go anywhere and do anything. Id just be a meatbag for him to club. Hopefully there will be at least some counter there. Otherwise, I say bring on the subs!

May get to see those depth charge racks on the back of almost every destroyer actually become functional instead of aesthetic 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,172 posts
13,352 battles

The Halloween event was a test. The problem I see is the only way to make them playable is to turn them into slow DD's that can submerge instead of using smoke.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,633 posts
12,782 battles

Actually I'm in the camp that is pro submarine. I enjoyed the Halloween test. Just curious which nations would get them? I'd be in favor of USN, RN IJN, KM

• Cool 3

Supertester
2,179 posts
9,480 battles

Hopefully the idea is in the trash bin where it should be

• Cool 8

[RKLES]
Members
11,295 posts
12,715 battles
8 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Actually I'm in the camp that is pro submarine. I enjoyed the Halloween test. Just curious which nations would get them? I'd be in favor of USN, RN IJN, KM

Pretty much any nation that had DDs and CAs could end up with subs since if they could manage the other 2 classes then they could manage having some subs. It was the BBs and CVs that were more difficult to build and maintain, which was why not all navies were able to have those.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

Members
1,697 posts
8,636 battles

CVs are probably delaying it somewhat and probably causing them to debate the wisdom of it. But my personal theory is that the CV rework was partially to make room in the meta for subs.

To elaborate, if you simplify the meta to rock paper scissors before the rework it goes Destroyer beats battleship, battleship beats cruiser, and cruiser beats destroyer. And aircraft carrier also beats battleship. And if you add "submarine beats battleship" and "Destroyer beats submarine" on top of that, nobody plays BBs and everyone is a DD main. So they shifted CVs to counter destroyers better than BBs so that they could make destroyers a counter to subs.

I hope people can follow that.

[NDA]
Supertester, Beta Testers
1,012 posts
9,383 battles

Subs in game the second Tuesday of next week.

The Halloween event may have been a test but I know since the game beginning they have been adamant about no subs in game.

Now things may change, though I hope not. 

• Cool 1

[PT]
Members
687 posts
2,439 battles

Only DDs could attack subs effectively, they had a top speed of like 7 knots submerged and 15 knots surfaced, on maps like Land of Fire they would take ages to get anywhere. 

Plus they were bullies, only (normally) attacking stuff that couldn't fight back. 

Edited by LunchCutter
  • Cool 1

[A-O]
Members
830 posts
8,936 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

they are already here,you just can't see them yet.

Actually I have seen them mounted on at least one ship. Decoration only of course.

See T1 Orlan for example

shot-19.03.12_00.32.26-0859.jpg

Black Swan and Chengan have some in the back too and Bougainville has rails in the back to roll em out.

Edited by freggo
added screenshot

[GOOF]
Members
486 posts
5,092 battles

Please no subs

Think of all the tweaking and changing that will require. 

Randoms are already full of yolos, is impossible to make people play as a team in random. 

Subs will be open season on surface ships and then CVS will munch on any ships that do band together for sun protection. 

There is to much involved to change this arcade game that much.

We all saw what happened with WG trying to change CVS, are we suggesting that again?

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,923 posts
14,312 battles

They goes sub...merse!

ha

ha

ha!

*kill myself 'cause bad joke*