Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher7_1944

Hell of a day.

10 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
4,309 posts

I finally managed to finish the fly whatever string of missions today, but man was it a grind...

It literally took ALL day to grind out the 1.3 million credits to finish that star- due to wall to wall low damage ultra-quick games and wall to wall DD's.   Not to mention an endless string of 2 Brothers matches, where every time, some goombah just had to charge the gap and pull the entire bot team to him...  Normally (ie before Co=op got stood on it's head) I'd get that in 1/3 or less that many games.

At this point, I truly believe it will take a major re-do of the bot programming to shift this entrenched meta.   Simply ending the Co-op loophole (mission requirements that can be much more easily done in Co-op), and finishing the CV re-balancing won't do it any longer.   Too many have figured out how to exploit the mode for quick, easy kills etc- and other than the visiting pvp players, I doubt any will be altering their style any time soon.

The only way to change that is to change the bot behavior that enables it.  They simply don't punish players who act just as wrecklessly as they do, lol.

As a result, it's become as bad as ranked, insofar as "preferred" and "correct" ships to play goes.  Anything other than that, and you're likely to get left behind at the bottom of the scoreboard.   It used to be you could play just about anything,  grind out stock hulls, try out different styles etc, and most would work after a fashion.  Damage over time ships were perfectly viable, as were alpha strike ships, dpm ships, and carriers.  Not so, any longer.    DoT, CV's, slow reloaders etc may as well stay in port.

You can make SOME BB's work, but it's far from ideal- and you still fall well behind what you used to be able to do (read should be able to do) damage-wise.  The bot teams die too quickly, and there are WAY too many torps flying around willy nilly to get too aggressive.  (and AP is still kinda borked from that DD/AP rework)

I ate far too many friendly torps today, got rammed, run aground, and forced to go broadside to close by bots  seemingly most games.  Heck, one game, our DD managed to torp TWO of us with a single salvo, and kill his already pink self with reflected damage.   Folks are just THAT greedy for kills...   The other guy he hit wrote" Now we see WHY you are pink..." in chat afterwards.  (and this was in a tier 9/10 battle... There's no excuse for being THAT bad with torpedoes in a tier 9 DD...)

ARRRGH!!

On the plus side,  my last 2 air drop containers dropped missions for Edinburgh and Duke of York.  I already got and finished the Hood mission- using my Hood, lol.  That earned me something like 15 million credits!   I'm sure DoY's will pay just as much.  Edinburgh will just be a free ship.  The collection got completed, too.  I got REALLY lucky with that one- only 6 duplicates total!

I'll also say that while Alaska is intended as a cruiser killer, I seem to spend most of my time killing Destroyers with it, lol.  Good thing WG gave it accurate guns!    No ships in my port top Boise in that department, though.  That freaking ship just hates DD's!   And Shchors got it's first dev strike today- with AP vs a Mogami.  Surprised the hell out of me!

Members
702 posts
9,090 battles

I feel your pain.  I just cracked the third set of directives and man the credit / base xp grinds are just mind numbing in coop.

[PVE]
Members
10,576 posts
19,890 battles
9 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

I finally managed to finish the fly whatever string of missions today, but man was it a grind...

It literally took ALL day to grind out the 1.3 million credits to finish that star- due to wall to wall low damage ultra-quick games and wall to wall DD's.   Not to mention an endless string of 2 Brothers matches, where every time, some goombah just had to charge the gap and pull the entire bot team to him...  Normally (ie before Co=op got stood on it's head) I'd get that in 1/3 or less that many games.

At this point, I truly believe it will take a major re-do of the bot programming to shift this entrenched meta.   Simply ending the Co-op loophole (mission requirements that can be much more easily done in Co-op), and finishing the CV re-balancing won't do it any longer.   Too many have figured out how to exploit the mode for quick, easy kills etc- and other than the visiting pvp players, I doubt any will be altering their style any time soon.

The only way to change that is to change the bot behavior that enables it.  They simply don't punish players who act just as wrecklessly as they do, lol.

As a result, it's become as bad as ranked, insofar as "preferred" and "correct" ships to play goes.  Anything other than that, and you're likely to get left behind at the bottom of the scoreboard.   It used to be you could play just about anything,  grind out stock hulls, try out different styles etc, and most would work after a fashion.  Damage over time ships were perfectly viable, as were alpha strike ships, dpm ships, and carriers.  Not so, any longer.    DoT, CV's, slow reloaders etc may as well stay in port.

You can make SOME BB's work, but it's far from ideal- and you still fall well behind what you used to be able to do (read should be able to do) damage-wise.  The bot teams die too quickly, and there are WAY too many torps flying around willy nilly to get too aggressive.  (and AP is still kinda borked from that DD/AP rework)

I ate far too many friendly torps today, got rammed, run aground, and forced to go broadside to close by bots  seemingly most games.  Heck, one game, our DD managed to torp TWO of us with a single salvo, and kill his already pink self with reflected damage.   Folks are just THAT greedy for kills...   The other guy he hit wrote" Now we see WHY you are pink..." in chat afterwards.  (and this was in a tier 9/10 battle... There's no excuse for being THAT bad with torpedoes in a tier 9 DD...)

ARRRGH!!

On the plus side,  my last 2 air drop containers dropped missions for Edinburgh and Duke of York.  I already got and finished the Hood mission- using my Hood, lol.  That earned me something like 15 million credits!   I'm sure DoY's will pay just as much.  Edinburgh will just be a free ship.  The collection got completed, too.  I got REALLY lucky with that one- only 6 duplicates total!

I'll also say that while Alaska is intended as a cruiser killer, I seem to spend most of my time killing Destroyers with it, lol.  Good thing WG gave it accurate guns!    No ships in my port top Boise in that department, though.  That freaking ship just hates DD's!   And Shchors got it's first dev strike today- with AP vs a Mogami.  Surprised the hell out of me!

Congrat's.

I had all 4 ships you could get in the missions and it is like 56,200,000 total compensation in credits for the 4 if you have them all. Should have been doubloons for the 3 Premiums but they cheaped out.

It's nice that we can do stuff in Co-op and be part of these thigs as well but it sure does bring people to the mode who don't give a darn as you say though. 

[ARGSY]
Members
16,499 posts
11,322 battles
10 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Heck, one game, our DD managed to torp TWO of us with a single salvo, and kill his already pink self with reflected damage.

Was this perchance a man who calls himself after a well-known brand of shoes and belongs to a similarly-named clan? Because that probably wasn't an accident.

That does sound like an unusually trying day.

I must confess to not worrying too much about the cash tasks or about finishing all directive tasks in one night. I take care of kills, caps, torps, fires and damage first; this usually puts me in a position of being able to advance to the next directive, while the cash and XP tasks autocomplete in the background. I do play more recklessly than I would in randoms, but I try to take at least one bot down with me and preferably more if there is a CV in game.

10 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

On the plus side,  my last 2 air drop containers dropped missions for Edinburgh and Duke of York. 

The free ones? Wow. You got all the RNG.

(I have the Nelson for the easy-bypass missions and I'm very glad now that I spent the FXP on her when I did. Everybody with 375,000 FXP to spend should get one, IMO; they are enormously useful.)

[WOLF9]
Members
4,309 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Was this perchance a man who calls himself after a well-known brand of shoes and belongs to a similarly-named clan? Because that probably wasn't an accident.

That does sound like an unusually trying day.

I must confess to not worrying too much about the cash tasks or about finishing all directive tasks in one night. I take care of kills, caps, torps, fires and damage first; this usually puts me in a position of being able to advance to the next directive, while the cash and XP tasks autocomplete in the background. I do play more recklessly than I would in randoms, but I try to take at least one bot down with me and preferably more if there is a CV in game.

The free ones? Wow. You got all the RNG.

(I have the Nelson for the easy-bypass missions and I'm very glad now that I spent the FXP on her when I did. Everybody with 375,000 FXP to spend should get one, IMO; they are enormously useful.)

Definitely agree on Nelson!   I also have Hood and Dork of Pork, and Exeter- so I had those missions well covered, lol.   I mainly did them in the dork and Hood.

Surprisingly, Duke and KGV are 2 BB's that were fairly capable in the current meta.  Not sure WHY,  but they always got me something before the game ended.   Fuso is just screwed- it's reason for existance is the exact wrong way to get anywhere now.  I'm grinding it, so I keep trying, but it sure hasn't been fun...

As far as the free ship missions, yeah- I would have had to laugh if they'd dropped an Exeter mission, having just bought the bundle.   (I wanted all the goodies that came with it- esp the fistfuls of flags)

Members
1,933 posts
8,625 battles
18 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Not to mention an endless string of 2 Brothers matches, where every time, some goombah just had to charge the gap and pull the entire bot team to him...

My favorite thing in the world is to take Scharnhorst down the slot in Two Brothers and utterly annihilate anything coming the other way. 

Members
1,933 posts
8,625 battles
6 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Definitely agree on Nelson! 

I hate Nelson in co-op, rarely play it due to bots with their godlike aim and ability to citadel it through the bow from halfway across the map. Every time I play it I end up facing a tier 8 US BB and get utterly obliterated. 

[WOLF9]
Members
4,309 posts
53 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

I hate Nelson in co-op, rarely play it due to bots with their godlike aim and ability to citadel it through the bow from halfway across the map. Every time I play it I end up facing a tier 8 US BB and get utterly obliterated. 

Yeah, NC is definitely the Achilles heel of RN BB's.  Not just Nelson- Dork; KGV and Hood also take huge gobs of damage from every NC shell that hits them... 

I had 3 red BB's taking potshots at me from across Hot Spot yesterday.   I was in KGV.   There was the red KGV, an NC, and I forget what else, but likely German as there's ALWAYS one of those these days.   I tanked everything else easily enough- but whenever NC landed a shot, I lost a big chunk of health.    I smacked him good a few times, too- but ended up sinking to KGV's multiple fires whilst on DCP cooldown (from the last set of fires he set, the bastard)

Come to think of it, they don't much care for Colorado's 16 inch shells, either- much less Iowa's.

[KRON]
[KRON]
Members
95 posts
3,017 battles

Do all the directives you can in Ops, much more credits and exp there. yes I know 5 min games vs 16-20 min ops, but much less stress. level boats in ops too

Members
1,933 posts
8,625 battles
15 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Yeah, NC is definitely the Achilles heel of RN BB's.  Not just Nelson- Dork; KGV and Hood also take huge gobs of damage from every NC shell that hits them...

NC, Bama and Mass... 

Sign in to follow this