You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

CV Tips and Tricks

62 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,150 posts

This is a thread for people who play CVs and either wish to get better with them or have become good at them and wish to share their knowledge. To those who are rabidly opposed to CVs being in the game in any form, please go elsewhere as there are plenty of anti-CV threads that you can post in.

TIP #1 --- Scout, Scout, Scout

You have the best scouting capability of any unit type in the game so make use of it. The CV under the rework is not about massive alpha strikes but rather is a team support unit. Take your fastest planes and spend at least five minutes locating the enemy position for your team. After this, either attack a vulnerable ship or find a stealthy ship, like a DD to fly around and keep spotted for your team to take out. Remember that if you spot ships even 25-30 km away your BBs can use spotter aircraft to reach out and shell them.

Edit:

And already the down-votes begin. Listen, if you don't like CVs then leave this thread --  it's not for you. If you think my advice is improper then post about it and say why. A down-vote alone doesn't do anything but reveal the down-voter's petulant attitude and laziness.  

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 25
  • Funny 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,150 posts

Tip # 2 -- Rawhide!

As the old song says "Move 'em on, head 'em up... rawhide!"

The mere presence of a plane can make the enemy bunch up like sardines in a bait ball and give your Destroyers and torpedo Cruisers some good opportunities for doing quite a bit of damage. If you want to further herd the enemy ships drop torpedoes.  Your planes torpedoes have been nerfed so much as it do very little actual damage themselves but the word is not yet out so the second one is seen in the water the enemy ships will start to turn. Use your torpedoes to turn the enemy broadside into ship torpedoes, which can do much higher amounts of damage. If there are no torpedo ships available make the enemy turn broadside so that your team can use AP on them.  

• Cool 3

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,150 posts

Rockets:

Midway specific -- start your attack runs at 6.5 km.

Go in fast and straight -- Avoid lateral movements as they will expand the aiming reticle so much that your rockets will almost surely miss. Scream into and out of AA range like a banshee. Use speed boost to stay in AA as short a time as possible -- Press "R" as you attack and as you fly away. Only when you are outside of AA range should you wheel around for a second attack.

Put on the breaks just before you reach the enemy ship -- "Press S just as your aiming reticle approaches the enemy ship to give yourself a fraction of a second more time to judge exactly when to release ordinance.

Pick the right rockets -- Tiny Tims are akin to 203 mm plus shells, whereas HVARs are more like 126-155 mm shells. Unfortunately, you must do this before the match starts. But it's sort of like picking a CA vs a CL to play.  I personally suggest Tiny Tims as DDs are very hard to hit nowadays, whereas the Tiny Tims can cause more damage to cruisers and battleships.

• Cool 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,150 posts

Tip #4 -- Don't let it get you down.

Sometimes your team just lets you down. This happens a lot in WOWS games. If it does, then don't despair. Ask yourself if you played well. If you think you did a good job then be happy. However, still ask yourself what you might have done better.

Did I spot enough?

Here, I think I did. It really wasn't my fault that my whole team, but for a couple of DDs, lemming-trained to C when there was only one cruiser and one DD in B, constantly being spotted by me but never once attacked by the team, other than a single DD that at at least tried.

Did I attack significant ships?

I removed three cruisers from the game. Two of which were in the push to take out my bunched up team in C. I also tried as much as I could to defend caps B and A.

Did I provide AA support?

I dropped several fighters trying to herd the other CV away from my team's Shima and Daring, which were the only two ships not in the lemming train.

Did I only concentrate on one ship to farm damage or did I help my team by trying to go where I was needed?

From the look of the plane kills of the enemy, my planes were pretty much running around keeping most of their team spotted and harassed.

What could I have done better? 

Massed and stealth AA still took out more planes than I would have liked. This is going to be even more of a problem when the RPF commander skill is removed from planes. I still have a tenancy to go in for a kill on a low-health ship when I really should be going elsewhere and looking for a less-guarded ship to attack. Of course, on the flip side I did trade three squadrons for three of the enemy ships and at least slowed the enemy's advance on the lemming train.

image.thumb.png.ef650fc25ed137486539a6300aa07db6.png

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 3

[D-DAY]
Members
39 posts
8,512 battles

Nice beginning tips...

Need more threads of this nature.  Was positive in nature and beneficial.   Thank you!

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,150 posts

Tip # 5 Fighters that are attacking you will chase you even though you have left their patrol circle.

I didn't know this until a game just now. The enemy CV was screening itself with a fighter squadron. I clipped the squadron's circle but then got out of it fast, just as I was beginning to be shot at. However, the fighters chased me and downed my squadron well out of the limits of patrol circle.

Tip # 5a -- one hand for yourself, one hand for the ship.

In this game I think that I did OK but, as with most CV games since the rework, "OK" depends on your having a good team too. It was a lot closer than the scores would suggest as the enemy had two caps to our one. My team was asking me to spot the one remaining DD but I had my own problems as a cruiser was shooting at me. I and our Zao finished him off and I was then able to look for the DD.

I found him a couple of times but his AA took out my severely-weakened two to three plane Rocket squadrons (you may not get "deplaned" but you can have so few planes as it be ineffectual in a CV; I lost 84 planes this match). Then I sent dive bombers and I got a very rare Dev Strike on the Groz, which tipped the game in our favor.

image.thumb.png.b6ebbdc11cc5aaa6fd3f6b69d42cd50f.png  

Edited by Snargfargle

[SFOR]
Members
996 posts
7,846 battles

Tip: don't push your boost after you reach your top speed. Instead do little taps to keep your planes moving fast for long time periods.

• Cool 3

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,150 posts
Just now, _no_one_ said:

Tip: don't push your boost after you reach your top speed. Instead do little taps to keep your planes moving fast for long time periods.

Thanks, good advice.

That reminds me of the Gnome radial engine of WWI. You couldn't throttle back on those engines -- you either had to be at full throttle or have the engine turned off. Therefore, the only way to "throttle back" was to blip the engine on and off. Needless to say, fighter pilots hated that engine, though many planes had it installed until better engines were designed. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,697 posts
8,647 battles
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Thanks, good advice.

That reminds me of the Gnome radial engine of WWI. You couldn't throttle back on those engines -- you either had to be at full throttle or have the engine turned off. Therefore, the only way to "throttle back" was to blip the engine on and off. Needless to say, fighter pilots hated that engine, though many planes had it installed until better engines were designed. 

Yah WWI was weird. My dad's friend has a plane from that era that has a setup where the propeller is bolted on to the engine and the engine spins itself and the propeller rather than just turning the propeller.

And then there is the Furious in her original configuration.

image.png.a25e4a5f139e168b3ea789a9512e591a.png

Just fly around the island like a man.

Edited by Wows_Nightly_News

[WOLF6]
Members
1,460 posts
4,781 battles

Some tossers simply had to downvote. I want to drink their tears! +1 Little Snarg! 

Small tip that was very true from the pre rework days..

- For IJN DBs...go for those German BBs. Thick deck armour. AP bombs will rarely over pen and quite often cit them.

Edited by Sumseaman
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,150 posts
11 hours ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

My dad's friend has a plane from that era that has a setup where the propeller is bolted on to the engine and the engine spins itself and the propeller rather than just turning the propeller.

With the early rotary engines the engine itself was the flywheel. The force of that huge mass of motor relative to the lightweight stick and fabric planes produced a lot of torque that the pilots had to counter manually with their controls. The trim tab wasn't invented until WWI.

Edit:

Why in the world would someone down-vote a factual historical reference? It seems like I have trolls who just down-vote anything I say that makes any reference to planes. If you have ever flown a small, single-engine plane you know that engine torque is still an issue, which is why you use the trim tabs to compensate for it.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 3

[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
727 posts
5,171 battles

Sometimes i'll drop a fighter over an enemy dd so he stays lit up. This lets me comfortably circle around without losing sight of him and allows teammates more time to shoot him. Obviously this is a situational call because those fighters may be better used defending your team, or you.  But sometimes its been the difference between a team win or loss. 

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Members
182 posts
685 battles

Once you start an attack, only steer with mouse. Moving around with A and D keys will greatly affect the tightness of the drop. 

[NUWES]
Members
2,792 posts
8,966 battles
12 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Pick the right rockets -- Tiny Tims are akin to 203 mm plus shells, whereas HVARs are more like 126-155 mm shells. Unfortunately, you must do this before the match starts. But it's sort of like picking a CA vs a CL to play.  I personally suggest Tiny Tims as DDs are very hard to hit nowadays, whereas the Tiny Tims can cause more damage to cruisers and battleships.

Just to add to this for USN CVs, if you have Tiny Tim rockets equipped, use DBs on the DDs. They hit pretty hard and are more likely to actually hit small targets than Tiny Tims because the bombers get very close to the target at the end of their dive.

Rockets are also good for heavily AA-defended targets. They are faster than other attack planes and they don't have to linger in the AA as long. 

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,956 posts
4,352 battles
2 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Just to add to this for USN CVs, if you have Tiny Tim rockets equipped, use DBs on the DDs. They hit pretty hard and are more likely to actually hit small targets than Tiny Tims because the bombers get very close to the target at the end of their dive.

Rockets are also good for heavily AA-defended targets. They are faster than other attack planes and they don't have to linger in the AA as long. 

Yes! 

Tip: Start your bombing run far and with speed , boost through the dive to make up any distance you need. Wait until your timer turns red before dropping. 

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,779 posts
5,275 battles

1 tip..This will certainly generate some down-votes! ( DD love)  When trying to torp a DD ,   cross drop it....   Drop a long range set running directly behind or in front(behind is best) ...immediately veer your planes out at 90 degrees from that line, find drop distance and veer hard back into the broadside drop.  As  rule the DD driver will look for a hole in first drop and ride through the spread, locking it on a line in the spread..  Makes easy pickings for the next drop at its broadside, as any veer will make it pick a torp to eat.  Sometimes they slow or stop which is even better.      Works reasonably well on all other ships as well.   Though not really needed on BBs.   However, very useful to lock a BB broadside to allied fire...  Amazingly they will avoid getting hit with a 4K torpedo most of the time exposing their citadels to enemy BBs doing 10 X the damage.   Such is the hate for Air borne torps!     

[P-V-E]
Members
1,382 posts

If your short on cash don't take Implacable into coop regardless of if you have economy flags, WoWs premium time and a permanent camo, as you will seldom make any profit unless the game time is stretched out by the rest of your team being well away from the last few ships, as otherwise the games are to short relative to damage done and rewards etc.

Edited by b101uk

Members
772 posts
4,613 battles

Pretty much covered my tips. Anyone willing to adapt and learn can master these new CVs, I' having lots of fun with them. 

[TARK]
Members
4,900 posts
1,800 battles
2 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

Use USN DBs on destroyers all the time regardless of your rocket choice...it will train you well to hit any target, and when you do hit its much better than a mere rocket strike...

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,150 posts

TIP -- Islands in the Stream

AA can't shoot through mountains so, if you can, plan your attacks so that you can dart behind a mountainous island for cover. You also can use mountains for stealth attacks.

[-IRS-]
[-IRS-]
Beta Testers
165 posts
4,578 battles

Tip - USN/IJN - "Drop'n Dash" - Instead of trying to fly to a ship through all of it's flack instead do a bombing run approx. 6km out. The dive movement with mess with the flack (reduces damage) the when you "drop" your payload the planes super accelerate to get to where they would have been had you not done a bombing run, thus they "dash" into your targets AA (reducing time spend in auras with more AA damage/flack). If done correctly you can almost ignore a targets mid range AA (usually the most lethal) and be right on top of a target ready to start your bombing run. The wasted bomb drop is fine b/c depending on your targets AA, you were unlikely to get off every possible attack run anyway.

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,562 posts
4,805 battles
33 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

TIP -- Islands in the Stream

AA can't shoot through mountains so, if you can, plan your attacks so that you can dart behind a mountainous island for cover. You also can use mountains for stealth attacks.

Just to add.. it's also possible, given the right circumstances to fly "through" an enemy fleet by using islands with rocket or torpedo planes...   pick a channel with no ships and fly through it in attack mode...  you don't have to release the weapons, but it drops you below the island height which can protect from a lot of the AA, and in a lot of cases tempts the ship to use a DFAA when they can't hit you.  This often means you can attack from the "wrong" side where they have depleted their AA by focusing on the other side

Edited by MaliceA4Thought
  • Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
3,508 posts
19 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Tip # 2 -- Rawhide!

As the old song says "Move 'em on, head 'em up... rawhide!"

The mere presence of a plane can make the enemy bunch up like sardines in a bait ball and give your Destroyers and torpedo Cruisers some good opportunities for doing quite a bit of damage. If you want to further herd the enemy ships drop torpedoes.  Your planes torpedoes have been nerfed so much as it do very little actual damage themselves but the word is not yet out so the second one is seen in the water the enemy ships will start to turn. Use your torpedoes to turn the enemy broadside into ship torpedoes, which can do much higher amounts of damage. If there are no torpedo ships available make the enemy turn broadside so that your team can use AP on them.  

Your right. Its amazing how scared people are when they see planes. They will turn and board side another ship when the torps are no more than a crusier he hit.

[SOV]
Members
3,508 posts

Great thread!

I use my torps first. Thebreason is they are going to die and by mid game I will have a full sq again.

After take off if I know I will lose the whole sq I bomb am island so at least 2 planes are waiting for me.

Question for everyone.

Why do some people try following men with there planes? I understsnf they might drop a fighter but that seems like a wast of energy?