You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Desmios

CV play sucks now

59 comments in this topic

Members
567 posts
2,921 battles

Got my T10 midway, heard they changed things around.

Can only use one squad now?  Ok... 

But all the cruisers hide behind island and the DDs snipe at max in packs.  I can't get into close to anyone to deal any damage.

Also, was torp damage highly nerfed?  Torps are not nearly as decent as they were.

Overall, I'm finding my damage output cut in half, even after 4-5 days of trying to adjust.

What happened?  Did keep it simple stupid go wrong?

I'm losing credits each battle (even with premium) because of how little the dmg output is.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,920 posts
14,282 battles

Yes, only one squad.

You can do dmg droping he bombs in bbs and sometimes on dds.

Yes the torp dmg was nerfed to point how become useless, dont lose your time using that unless you are without planes.

They just nerf cvs to useless, you can have """""fun"""""" farming a bit some bomb/rocket(if you put some fire*) dmg on bbs... and is that.

• Cool 1

[PHASE]
Members
5,760 posts
18,724 battles

I won't say it sucks, because I know some players make it work very well. I would love to turn this thread around immediately and make it a help guide for the Midway, After going 3-9 or so today, my frustration level is very high. I am doing ok, and usually out perform the enemy CV, But I am missing something, and don't know what it is.... It is frustrating.

See the source image

• Cool 2

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,880 posts
7,091 battles

Everyone has there own opinion about CV's, and they get so emotionally charged that collectively the class has been run into the ground.

Destroyers think they shouldn't be able to be damaged by a CV, or that a CV should not spot for the team. Therefore, CV's can not do spotting or can not damage destroyers with the same ease they used to. Battleships think they should be able to entirely counter a CV's strike, even when alone on a flank. They don't think CV should also have the Alpha strike potential they used to have as well. So there ya go, now magically Carriers have no damage or utility potential. It's now a novelty game item like it used to be. Fantastic, right? Oh, the bed we all made ourselves to sleep in.

• Cool 6

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,920 posts
14,282 battles
3 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

I won't say it sucks, because I know some players make it work very well. I would love to turn this thread around immediately and make it a help guide for the Midway, After going 3-9 or so today, my frustration level is very high. I am doing ok, and usually out perform the enemy CV, But I am missing something, and don't know what it is.... It is frustrating.

See the source image

I stop playing with my cvs (i only play cvs if i be drunk now) because is OVER frustrating.

You just... cant... do anything great. DoT is so....... boring.You cant impact the match, you cant punish alone targers, its too much rng, the torpedos is so useless gaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Cool 3

[O7]
Members
2,004 posts
16,306 battles

Depends on the player, and the strategy you adapt. Even with current Midway as it is, I was able to manage similar damage to old CV system.

[RLGN]
Members
12,629 posts
22,455 battles
6 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

Depends on the player, and the strategy you adapt. Even with current Midway as it is, I was able to manage similar damage to old CV system.

Correct, but if someone sucked at dodging Strafes and making manual attacks in RTS, I expect they won’t much enjoy the ‘rework’ carriers.

Maybe the controls are ‘simpler’ as WG claims; but when you factor in how much harder it is to deal with AA, ‘easier’ becomes wishful thinking at best on WG’s part, or a bald faced lie at worst.

• Cool 1

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,920 posts
14,282 battles
13 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

The problem its not the dmg, but how you do dmg.

(and in what you do)

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
17,839 battles
8 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Correct, but if someone sucked at dodging Strafes and making manual attacks in RTS, I expect they won’t much enjoy the ‘rework’ carriers.

Maybe the controls are ‘simpler’ as WG claims; but when you factor in how much harder it is to deal with AA, ‘easier’ becomes wishful thinking at best on WG’s part, or a bald faced lie at worst.

I disagree to an extent.  I sucked at the RTS version of CV's, mainly because I couldn't micro-manage multiple units effectively.  So a good CV player would strafe my planes out of existence while my focus was elsewhere.  With the current system I can concentrate on the one flight group and my CV.  I feel pretty comfortable with CV's now, and I feel that I do pretty well in them most of the time.

• Cool 3

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,024 posts
21 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

The problem is that the anti-CV crowd is so rabidly opposed to CVs being in the game at all that they will come to any thread that mentions CVs thread and try to knock it off course. I've gotten 38 downvotes so far in a thread that simply mentioned that DDs can now do well in games where CVs are present.

On the CV side of things. Every time I enter a match with one I get a bunch of "sky cancer" comments. I have a pretty thick skin and just blow such comments off. However,  if my sister were playing the game she would literally hunt these players down online and make their lives a living hell because she would take it personally since out father is fighting three different types of cancer.

I'm going to start a "CV Tips and Tricks" thread but I don't have any high hopes for it because it's almost certain to be stormed and derailed by the anti-CV mob. We will see.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Members
567 posts
2,921 battles
11 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

The problem its not the dmg, but how you do dmg.

(and in what you do)

It seems damage has been nerfed all-around for the carrier though... 

Like it is worse performing in every area than it was before.

[INTEL]
Members
11,722 posts
32,786 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The problem is that the anti-CV crowd is so rabidly opposed to CVs being in the game at all that they will come to any thread that mentions CVs thread and try to knock it off course. I've gotten 38 downvotes so far in a thread that simply mentioned that DDs can now do well in games where CVs are present.

Yes, the majority of players don't want CVs in the game. If you are going to advocate for a mechanic that reduces the enjoyment of most players, you will get a response. 

Not to mention that colossal waste of time and dev resources blown on this ganked ReBork. When I think of the new ship lines, maps, operations, and bug fixes we could have had....

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,880 posts
7,091 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

father is fighting three different types of cancer.

I hope he beats them all. 

To the rest of your comment, yes, it is quite irritating how CV's have such heavy bias against them. It's making balancing harder.

• Cool 1

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,920 posts
14,282 battles
19 minutes ago, Desmios said:

It seems damage has been nerfed all-around for the carrier though... 

Like it is worse performing in every area than it was before.

Yes, it was.

But still, you can do a lot dmg in this new gameplay farming dot in bbs... but its SO BORING.

[TMS]
Beta Testers
3,709 posts
13,905 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

On the CV side of things. Every time I enter a match with one I get a bunch of "sky cancer" comments. I have a pretty thick skin and just blow such comments off. However,  if my sister were playing the game she would literally hunt these players down online and make their lives a living hell because she would take it personally since out father is fighting three different types of cancer.

I'm going to start a "CV Tips and Tricks" thread but I don't have any high hopes for it because it's almost certain to be stormed and derailed by the anti-CV mob. We will see.

I am a DD main and I have no problem with CV's, or any other ship in the game.  What I do have issues with, are people who don't get the message at high tiers playing a CV, that they are doing nothing to help the team playing that class of ship.

For example, the other night a midway player with 20 plus games in it, has an av damage of 968, and many other games with CV players in them with something similar, so in the end the team would of been better off with an AFK'er.

And yes I know there are many other people who have bad stats in the ships they are using, but the CV can be such an influence over all others, if played well.

I have a Mid and a Hak and I suck at them, I used them predominately during PTS and occasionally in co op, but never in randoms as I know I suck in them and will do nothing to aid my team in a win, sometimes people have to wake up and realise it is not the ship, it is them.

As far as DD doing well with CV's in the game, yes they can, I would like them to reduce it to 1 per match, but until they do, there is nothing we can do about it, other than play the game we are in.  Yes I have had to adapt, but in doing so, I am now having games where my torp hit ratio is going up, mainly because I have to play smarter, and when my game falls apart, it simply means the CV was smart enough to understand where I might be and shut me down.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,801 posts
5,796 battles
39 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Naw, like @DreadRaybo above, I'm totally good with the new control scheme.  Couldn't RTS CV to save my life (for me, more about the micro-managing than the strafes, but they caused me problems too).

Unlike Raybo, I'm having trouble with the new CV's (at least the T4 ones, cuz I don't have the time or inclination to do nothing but play CVs) because they've been nerfed far too hard.  AA is too strong, and aircraft weapons are too ineffective.  The rockets rarely hit anything,  and there's no torpedo aim indicator, which RTS CV's had a guide for and every surface ship gets.  As far as the whole 'main damage is DoT now' - great.  Can I do some, please?  10 Rocket hits (BBs, mostly), 8 bomb hits - 1 fire; 4 torpedo hits, not a single flood.

I'm not saying I want to be god-king in CVs, they should be that powerful.  For one thing, I'm just an average player, and for another I play all the other classes, too.  But I shouldn't have to struggle to get two out of three attacks down on a lone same-tier BB.  I'm okay struggling with the third one.  And I'm alright that two DDs (one higher tier, one same) can chase my squadron off, but it shouldn't be three planes of six shot down in less than fifteen seconds, and all the rest left on red health before I can clear the area.

I know WG is focusing on T8/9/10 gameplay*, but I wish they would look at the whole line for balance.  Like, compressing the scale from T4 to T10 of both AA power and plane health will reduce the pain for both the CV and the surface ship that has to fight against them.  Under tiered ships on either side will be more capable, and over tiered ships won't be able to ignore their opponent either.

*Edit note:  I don't really *know* that, but it does seem to be the dev team focus.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,593 posts
12,667 battles

When you have a very small percentage of the community that knows how to exploit and take advantage of the current meta -vs- a much larger percentage who are still coming to terms with the current meta (which is still in flux). Talking about devs having to walk a tight rope trying to find a happy medium. Don't envy those folks.

It will definitely require patience to navigate the rapids. I just decided to wait a bit. However, I have a feeling the tweaks are probably close to being done. I'd even feel comfortable saying if the USN line isn't done it is probably the closest. One of the IJN CV's got a little buff recently? It may be closer to being done than we think as well. May just be the RN CV's getting tweaked next. The AA is about done too maybe?

[USCG]
Members
513 posts
17,271 battles

With the past CV setup, there seemed to be  a small group of players that liked their play style. I for one wasn’t one of them...

With the new CVs, I feel there is yet again a small group that enjoys the new “fly your plane” play style. I am not one of those either...

Of late, I seem to get a CV in randoms around 50% in tiers 4-6, 25% in tiers 7-8 and 10% (or less) in tiers 9-10. Your results may vary but I feel nothing has changed (numbers wise) between the two CV formats. You will have a small group that enjoys their play style while the remainder do not (I’m in the second group).

My only request would be to limit the number of CVs per match to one per side. I find going up against two CVs (especially in a DD) can be rather frustrating. 

• Cool 1

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

The biggest problem I'm seeing is that people think that because it's a Midway they are trying to play it like a Midway.  The new CVs are completely new game pieces and have (almost) nothing to do with the old CV game pieces.  If you treat them like you are playing a completely different thing that will take time to figure out, it seems to go a lot better.  I suck at CVs but I can still sit near the top of my team win or lose and 3 weeks ago I was in the bottom 3 every time.  In fact, today I had a 2239 Base EXP game in my Lexington and that may be my highest total Base EXP ever.  But, it took time.

[WOLFB]
Members
3,213 posts
13,144 battles

If you're strugling hitting ship with your Midway, then imagine my frustration when playing Shoukaku against only T10 ship...

Beta Testers
367 posts
4,135 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

If you save the tears from that thread you will be able to turn them in for a free T10 British CV Camo. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,024 posts
19 minutes ago, Gavroche_ said:

Just play like Gaishu. EZ 200k average damage

He does that in every ship type; he's definitely not a one-trick pony. Some people are just better at playing games than other people. I'd really like to see some recordings of him playing CVs after the rework and in the latest patch (i.e., not playing the Hak in 8.0.0 when it was OP).   

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
144 posts
5,217 battles
2 hours ago, Phil_Swift_With_Flextape said:

Everyone has there own opinion about CV's, and they get so emotionally charged that collectively the class has been run into the ground.

Destroyers think they shouldn't be able to be damaged by a CV, or that a CV should not spot for the team. Therefore, CV's can not do spotting or can not damage destroyers with the same ease they used to. Battleships think they should be able to entirely counter a CV's strike, even when alone on a flank. They don't think CV should also have the Alpha strike potential they used to have as well. So there ya go, now magically Carriers have no damage or utility potential. It's now a novelty game item like it used to be. Fantastic, right? Oh, the bed we all made ourselves to sleep in.

^^ This. The odds are heavily stacked against CVs now and as long as whiny players of other classes continue their complaining WG is just gonna keep the nerf train coming. It's very sad and I hope we can change that.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
2,004 posts
16,306 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I disagree with dealing with AA. AA ranges are much lower now, and you can very easily dodge the majority of flak. The RNG is removed from continuous so CV is in fact much easier to be strong in now.