You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HorrorRoach

CV captain skill question

24 comments in this topic

[BS]
Members
1,916 posts
9,749 battles

The tier 4 skill,

image.png.fa06deab8a4386d229aa962bbb233283.png

So, does this skill speed up the attack PREP of the planes (delay between clicking to attack and initiation of attack, most noticeable in rocket planes), or the dive bomb/torpedo retical tightening after initiation occurs? Seems like a waste of 4 points if it's only 5%, for either senario? Most good dive bomb drops aren't when you're really high up, those are just potshots you drop off if you're getting shredded. I doubt 10% would really effect the pot dropping or normal variations of the dive. The torpedo retical isn't really slow enough, even on a T8 Lexington, for 5% to really matter.

EJ

[K0]
Members
1,747 posts
7,484 battles

I picked it up first when the rework came out, and now I'm waiting for the second respec so I put those points into something more useful like plane health or speed. The reduced aiming was always a minor improvement, but now that planes die more easily it's just not worth it.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,214 posts
12,588 battles
1 minute ago, Flashtirade said:

I picked it up first when the rework came out, and now I'm waiting for the second respec so I put those points into something more useful like plane health or speed. The reduced aiming was always a minor improvement, but now that planes die more easily it's just not worth it.

Yeah the added HP and damage reduction skills to planes seem far better. Been trying some of them on RN CVs since figured might as well give CVs another chance considering I can’t sell the RN CVs for a while anyway.  The skills that increase air speed and speed boosts help as well as Concealment Expert skill. Reworked CVs require that you hit enemy ships with endless stream of attack runs after all.

[-BUI-]
Members
1,453 posts
4,627 battles

Its the delay between when you click to shoot at the aiming sight going to "full narrow" on torps and "tight circle" on rockets....not really sure what it does for dive bombers since the circle doesn't really change much.    The benefit is too small however to be worthwhile.    I'm not 100% what the exact aiming time is, but it feels like 2 or 3 seconds, so for sake of argument for right now until someone replies and inevitably tells me exactly how many seconds each one is...we'll assume 3 seconds.

3 seconds is 3000 milliseconds, 5% of 3000 is 150, which is 0.15 of a second.   So you go from 3 seconds, to 2.85 seconds.   Not at all worthwhile.

For additional argument sake.

At 2 seconds, it drops it to 1.9, and at 4 seconds, it would drop it to 3.8.   

Edited by Zenn3k

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,703 posts
5,233 battles

truthfully...with the exception of maybe Concealment? (not using currently)    I'm really on the fence as to if any of the 4 point skills are worth that value?  I've already made up my mind I'm making some pretty big changes next respec.     

Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles
1 minute ago, RA6E_ said:

truthfully...with the exception of maybe Concealment? (not using currently)    I'm really on the fence as to if any of the 4 point skills are worth that value?  I've already made up my mind I'm making some pretty big changes next respec.     

RPF is pretty useful, but that's being removed from aircraft next patch so...

The ship I have sight stabilization on is the Midway, largely because the torpedo bombers aim unreasonably slowly. Considering how tiny the bonus is though, I'm not sure it's even worth it in that case. On that note, did it used to be 10% for all planes? I don't remember it calling out specific values for each squad before...

[-BUI-]
Members
1,453 posts
4,627 battles
3 minutes ago, RA6E_ said:

Well, Radio Detection DID have value, but not anymore.   So yeah, its basically just concealment now, nothing else at 4 points is remotely useful.  

This is the only build I'd use with a CV right now (if I cared to play them, which i don't, because they are super not fun):

1pt:  Air Supremacy and Improved Engine Boost

2pt:  Torpedo Acceleration and Improved Engines

3pt:  Survivability Expert, Aircraft Armor, and Demolition Expert (this last one has minor IJN value, but very worthwhile for USN)

4pt:  Concealment Expert.

Really can't even fathom a reason to run anything else.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,703 posts
5,233 battles
Just now, Frenotx said:

RPF is pretty useful, but that's being removed from aircraft next patch so...

The ship I have sight stabilization on is the Midway, largely because the torpedo bombers aim unreasonably slowly. Considering how tiny the bonus is though, I'm not sure it's even worth it in that case. On that note, did it used to be 10% for all planes? I don't remember it calling out specific values for each squad before...

I haven't used the RPF..   I generally don't have a problem locating DDs when its critical due to the detection warning... Now targeting them once spotted with the lower detection ranges can be pretty challenging when its just you vs a DD.   I mean usually by that time its late in game and you know they're coming, you usually have a good idea where they are coming from.  I  don't know if I've been surprised by one yet, that's not to say that I haven't been sniped by plenty.   You just usually have a pretty good idea its coming and from where..     

[-BUI-]
Members
1,453 posts
4,627 battles
3 minutes ago, RA6E_ said:

I haven't used the RPF..   I generally don't have a problem locating DDs when its critical due to the detection warning... Now targeting them once spotted with the lower detection ranges can be pretty challenging when its just you vs a DD.   I mean usually by that time its late in game and you know they're coming, you usually have a good idea where they are coming from.  I  don't know if I've been surprised by one yet, that's not to say that I haven't been sniped by plenty.   You just usually have a pretty good idea its coming and from where..     

"Having a pretty good idea" and "exactly knowing" are pretty different states of knowledge though...

Also, it could help you aim, since you could basically line up DDs before you see the target, I've also successfully used it to hit a DD in smoke before.

Edited by Zenn3k
  • Cool 1

Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles
1 minute ago, RA6E_ said:

It can be nice vs. DDs, but the big thing I use it for is lining up strike on ships that I can't see, like when I'm using an island to cover my approach, or if a ship is hiding in smoke. In the case of the former, you can start your attack run in the right direction earlier, and drop as soon as there's space after clearing the island.

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles
8 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Well, Radio Detection DID have value, but not anymore.   So yeah, its basically just concealment now, nothing else at 4 points is remotely useful.  

This is the only build I'd use with a CV right now (if I cared to play them, which i don't, because they are super not fun):

1pt:  Air Supremacy and Improved Engine Boost

2pt:  Torpedo Acceleration and Improved Engines

3pt:  Survivability Expert, Aircraft Armor, and Demolition Expert (this last one has minor IJN value, but very worthwhile for USN)

4pt:  Concealment Expert.

Really can't even fathom a reason to run anything else.

You will not want to use torpedo acceleration and demolion expert in the IJN carriers.

Torpedo acceleration have a big downside. It increase the torpedo arming distance and japanese torpedo are already fast. Now for the british and american captains you will want this, so your fishes can catch the ships that is trying to avoid torpedos turning away from your attack.

Demolition expert have no use in the japanese carriers. if you are using rockets in the ijn carrriers you are doing it wrong. However demolition expert is very important in british carriers.

Sight stabilization is imo only useful to american carriers.

Edited by _no_one_

[-BUI-]
Members
1,453 posts
4,627 battles
3 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

You will not want to use torpedo acceleration and demolion expert in the IJN carriers.

Torpedo acceleration have a bid downside. It increase the torpedo arming distance and japanese torpedo are already fast. Now for the british and american captais you will want this so your fishes can catch the ships that is trying to avoid torpedos turning away from your attack.

Demolition expert have no use in the japanese carriers. if you are using rockets in the ijn carrriers you are doing it wrong. However demolition expert is very important in british carriers.

I still think Torp acceleration is always useful, even on IJNs.    Also, it has no change on arming distance, just range.

And I conceded that Demo wasn't great in IJN in my post, but frankly there isn't anything better to take, so you might as well try to improve those rocket fires.

Really, if you wanna be the best CV you can be...you shouldn't be playing IJN in the first place, USN is just better.

Edited by Zenn3k

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles
1 minute ago, Zenn3k said:

Also, it has no change on arming distance, just range.

That is the part where you are wrong and i am going to show you.

shot-19.03.11_17.22.51-0025.jpg

shot-19.03.11_17.22.59-0834.jpg

[-KIA-]
Members
779 posts
10,165 battles
1 minute ago, _no_one_ said:

I use Torpedo Acceleration on Hakuryu, except the tier 8 IJN CVs and below.

2 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

Torpedo acceleration have a big downside. It increase the torpedo arming distance and japanese torpedo are already fast. Now for the british and american captains you will want this so your fishes can catch the ships that is trying to avoid torpedos turning away from your attack.

It's been more convenient for me when I had this skill, ever since I switched from Long Range Torpedoes to Close Range, I've been able to do more effective than I've ever did, I manage to bully a Yamato with it dealing 100k+ to him until it gets kill secured by an sc*m Grosser Kurfurst. Of course, it's not just that, I've managed to do more that I can't even recall...

[-BUI-]
Members
1,453 posts
4,627 battles
1 minute ago, _no_one_ said:

That is the part where you are wrong and i am going to show you.

shot-19.03.11_17.22.51-0025.jpg

shot-19.03.11_17.22.59-0834.jpg

Interesting.   Alright then.

The tooltip doesn't say anything about arming distance, that should be fixed then.

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles
4 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

The tooltip doesn't say anything about arming distance, that should be fixed then.

I know. It is a hidden nerf. It was another player ( i forgot his name ) that told me about this. So understanding this it is IMO a 2pt captain waste in the IJN carriers.

Edited by _no_one_

[-BUI-]
Members
1,453 posts
4,627 battles
Just now, _no_one_ said:

I know. it is a hidden nerf. It was another player ( i forgot his name ) that told me about this. So understanding this it is IMO a 2pt captain waste.

Eh, its only bad on the IJN long ranges though, the close range torps still get good benefit from it, you really wanna torps as fast as possible and as close as possible on each drop.   Still an auto-pick for USN.

[SFOR]
Members
995 posts
7,846 battles
2 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Eh, its only bad on the IJN long ranges though, the close range torps still get good benefit from it, you really wanna torps as fast as possible and as close as possible on each drop.   Still an auto-pick for USN.

The problem is the faster your torps are,  using TA the far away you need to drop them in the water. So yes for british and american i suggest you to use TA because the torps are too slow in the IJN no.

Edited by _no_one_

[PVE]
Members
19,475 posts
11,833 battles

The CV article when 8.0 came out, in game description and the wiki all say this.

DEgeDZS.jpg

I can not find anything anywhere on exactly what this does during an attack. Time for training room I guess.

Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles
5 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

It's because the arming "distance" is actually an arming time. If you speed the torpedoes up, they cover more distance in the same time, thus the arming distance is longer (while the arming TIME remains unchanged).

• Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
19,475 posts
11,833 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

The CV article when 8.0 came out, in game description and the wiki all say this.

DEgeDZS.jpg

I can not find anything anywhere on exactly what this does during an attack. Time for training room I guess.

I can't tell what it is supposed to buff.

@Femennenly, @iKami, @Gneisenau013, would y'all please provide some more info?

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,251 posts
14,908 battles
12 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I can't tell what it is supposed to buff.

@Femennenly, @iKami, @Gneisenau013, would y'all please provide some more info?

My understanding of it is that it reduces the amount of time requires of the "aiming zone" to reduce, for example: the time it takes for the spread of torpedoes to reduce to a narrow spread. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,475 posts
11,833 battles
9 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

My understanding of it is that it reduces the amount of time requires of the "aiming zone" to reduce, for example: the time it takes for the spread of torpedoes to reduce to a narrow spread. 

Would there be any way to get the times for all the various planes that Sight Stabilization affects please? Then we can actually see the math, so we have an idea what it actually does please.