You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TURNSKiD

Quitting over sound volume?!

15 comments in this topic

Members
11 posts

Not OC

Yup - The destroy sound volume when I die is triggering. I get the obvious, getting killed sucks and will make you instantly feel crappy. The explosion sound volume that accompanies it is overkill. 

(Those who hate, go read up on gaming psychology).. You might be surprised. The decision to make the explosion sound at a higher DB then other sound effects is by design. By poor design imo. 

--And really, can we optimize quit battle and quit game? Exiting is 386 speed for me. what cleanup has to happen at close/end time that impacts the client so heavy? Its sad when I have to use an end task script to close wows because of it's UI molasses response rate.

Edited by TURNSKiD
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[GLF]
Members
911 posts
14,579 battles

Hmm.   Maybe thats why i feel compelled to throw and break things after my death in this game?  

:cap_yes::Smile_izmena:

Yes, definitely running with that as an excuse.  Thank you for bringing up this evidence. 

Edited by AnimaL21

Members
11 posts

lol - right :) I'd love to post some articles on this stuff but don't wanna get in trouble. :)  

My gosh, even posting this reply indicates the amount of performance tuning they need. Silly... 

Edited by TURNSKiD

[ARGSY]
Members
16,334 posts
11,208 battles

I play with the sound off - always - so as not to wake my sleeping children. OP could consider that.

• Funny 1

[GLF]
Members
911 posts
14,579 battles
10 minutes ago, TURNSKiD said:

Its sad when I have to use an end task script to close wows because of it's UI molasses response rate.

Again, same page.  Make a batch kill script and give it a shortcut in windows.  Assign the shortcut a hotkey that isnt likely to be bumped (Ctrl +Shift + key..., etc) ....  Instantly kill the game at will before the decibel level of the death explosion happens.      

[GLF]
Members
911 posts
14,579 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I play with the sound off - always - so as not to wake my sleeping children. OP could consider that.

My kids have learned to sleep through the swearing, lol.  

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
16,334 posts
11,208 battles
Just now, AnimaL21 said:

My kids have learned to sleep through the swearing, lol.  

Next morning:

"Daddy, what's a f:etc_swear:ng cheating bot?"

• Funny 4

Members
11 posts
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Sad when a game with such beauty of sound requires such actions.

[GLF]
Members
911 posts
14,579 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Next morning:

They currently already ask me simple things like that, but since they cannot yet accurately recreate the entire tirade of compounding linked swears and creative use of exclamation, i get to say "i didn't say that".

[BGA]
Members
28 posts
13,497 battles

20 minutes ago, TURNSKiD said:

--And really, can we optimize quit battle and quit game? Exiting is 386 speed for me. what cleanup has to happen at close/end time that impacts the client so heavy? Its sad when I have to use an end task script to close wows because of it's UI molasses response rate.

^^^ Yes this, please^^^.  My laptop takes about 4 seconds to boot up.  When I'm done with the game I push the power button on my laptop to let windows do a forced shutdown then tap it again to boot.  Takes like 6-7 seconds.  Probably takes a solid minute to close the game otherwise.   Yes rebooting the computer is much faster, maybe even faster to reboot than to get the exit game dialog to even come up.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,832 posts
12,587 battles

Had a real issue with sound...it wouldn't adjust in the settings unless it was crazy loud or crazy soft... reinstalled, reinstalled... (all this about a year ago), basically turned all sound off except alerts...was that way  for about a year...last update...it fixes itself... spent way too much time trying to fix it, no help from anyone... but got to like listening to my music with almost no sound... so still do that :)

• Cool 1

Members
5,076 posts
9,033 battles

Just change the sound settings - they have like 4 or 5 of them.  I get it close then I use buttons on my keyboard to raise or lower the sound to what I want.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,024 posts
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Next morning:

I inadvertently taught my youngest niece a mild swear word by merely saying it in her presence when she was just learning words. My sister-in-law was holding her and talking about a new principle at the school where she taught who was causing all sorts of problems. I said that he sounded to me like a real  :etc_swear:. My two-year-old niece said :etc_swear:? Then she thought about it for a second and said :etc_swear:! My sister-in-law said, "No honey, that's not a word we say," to which my niece replied :etc_swear::etc_swear::etc_swear::etc_swear::etc_swear::etc_swear: to the tune of a song she had just learned. I was informed later by my not-so-happy sister-in-law that it was my niece's favorite word for the next two weeks.