You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bortt

Alaksa Super Heavy AP?

22 comments in this topic

[Y0L0]
Members
277 posts
11,364 battles

Maybe this question has already been answered but does Alaska get the same super heavy AP and improved firing angles as other American heavy cruisers?

[ARGSY]
Members
16,310 posts
11,166 battles

Alaska's guns are 12-inch rather than 8-inch so they are not directly comparable against Baltimore, Buffalo, Salem & Des Moines; I can't speak as to the autobounce angles, but she ought to do better at overmatch simply because of the larger calibre.

[CHBK]
Members
562 posts
2,610 battles

I'll put it this way, my first 5 games in the Alaska were trash.  I was slinging HE more often than not and was struggling to do dmg, my avg after 5 games was around 45k I would say.  I switched it up and decided to sling AP only at ships under 17km.  I broke 100k the first time I did it and my last 4 games I probably averaged about 90k dmg.

Edited by Taco_De_Moist
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,348 posts
13,341 battles

As Falls_USMC said yes, Alaska gets the improvements to the angles at which her shells start to autobounce as the other USN heavy cruisers.

Her heavier AP shells have slight overmatch advantages, mainly that they can overmatch the extermity armor of the Royal Navy light cruisers. The HE can penetrate 50mm plating which is useful against Stalingrad, Moskva, some deck armor and of course Khabarovsk.

[Y0L0]
Members
277 posts
11,364 battles

Thanks everyone...Yes..autobounce angles...that's what I meant. Great to hear.

6 minutes ago, mofton said:

Her heavier AP shells have slight overmatch advantages, mainly that they can overmatch the extermity armor of the Royal Navy light cruisers. The HE can penetrate 50mm plating which is useful against Stalingrad, Moskva, some deck armor and of course Khabarovsk.

Maybe they can increase the shell speed so I can hit one of those. :D

• Funny 1

[NUWES]
Members
2,767 posts
8,913 battles
25 minutes ago, Bortt said:

Maybe this question has already been answered but does Alaska get the same super heavy AP and improved firing angles as other American heavy cruisers?

Yes and no. Alaska has the same improved autobounce angles as the USN CAs do, it does not have the same superheavy shells. Baltimore and up have shells that are significantly heavier than standard 8" shells and that causes them to be much more destructive than standard 8". Hence "superheavy". Alaska does not have that. Her shells are heavier than standard 12", but not that much heavier so they aren't nearly as powerful compared to the other 12" guns, due to lower velocity, as the 8" SHS shells are to other 8" guns. Here's a video that Stuntman did explaining it. (Took me a moment to find it.)

Spoiler

Edited by Tzarevitch

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,118 posts
13 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Yes and no. Alaska has the same improved autobounce angles as the USN CAs do, it does not have the same superheavy shells. Baltimore and up have shells that are significantly heavier than standard 8" shells and that causes them to be much more destructive than standard 8". Hence "superheavy". Alaska does not have that. Her shells are heavier than standard 12", but not that much heavier so they aren't nearly as powerful compared to the other 12" guns, due to lower velocity, as the 8" SHS shells are to other 8" guns. Here's a video that Stuntman did explaining it. (Took me a moment to find it.)

Hide contents

Her 12 inch guns hit with the weight of super dreadnought 14 inchers, they certainly fired Mk 8 SHS. The fact that WG doesn't model it correctly doesn't change that fact.

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,455 posts
5,792 battles
5 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

Hmmm.... no actually.

The Alaska fires a 12" APC Mark 18 Mod 1 shell that weighs 1140lbs.  Contrast this with the Wyoming's 870lb APC Mark 15 Mod 1-6 shells...  This is most certainly within the realm of "Super Heavy" for shells as it's 31% heavier.  The shell penetration is also SIGNIFICANTLY higher than that of any other 12" gun the US fielded with comparable penetration rates to the 14"/50's on the New Mexico and Tennessee classes.

Here are the NAVWEAPS tables for the 12"/50  on Alaska:
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_12-50_mk8.php

And for the 12"/45 on the Wyoming:
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_12-50_mk7.php

• Cool 1

2,694 posts
1,251 battles

Those AP shells still can't do much against angle BBs but can murder CA/CL, HE is still the best against BBs.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,309 posts
13 minutes ago, alex08060 said:

This AP shells still can't do much against angle BBs but can murder CA/CL, HE is still the best against BBs.

I'm just glad WG chose to make Alaska's guns accurate!   I seem to spend most of my time shooting DD's, as they completely infest most co-op games right now.   I have no trouble hitting them, and that 12" HE does nasty, dirty things to them, lol.  She really does play like a supersized heavy cruiser.   (which is fine by me- as I LOVE US CA's)

In another game, it was me in my Salem and an Alaska vs 5 bots on one flank.  Piece of cake- what I didn't smack, he did.  He had no trouble landing huge damage salvos on any of them, either.   If that combo isn't enough to give cruiser captains nightmares, I don't know what is, lol.

All in all, I like mine WAY more than Kronstadt- which mostly leaves me frustrated and screaming at the screen.

2,694 posts
1,251 battles

Not bad damage against DD as well, it seems to give them a lot of crit damage and I can have radar and sonar separately to murder DDs.

[WOLF3]
Members
23,562 posts
21,117 battles
5 hours ago, alex08060 said:

Those AP shells still can't do much against angle BBs but can murder CA/CL, HE is still the best against BBs.

It's convenient.  The AP crushes Cruisers and the HE shells are large enough that it pens and damages even the thick 50mm armor plates found on numerous ships, especially the VII+ German BB decks where it's more prevalent.  The only decks that the 305mm HE shells can't pen are the ultra thick ones found on Yamato-class and Izumo.  They're about 57-58mm IIRC.

Members
46 posts
17,285 battles

dont have an alaska but having a number of battles against them in tier 9/10 cruisers they do seem to do ALOT of damage to me with the bigger guns

2,694 posts
1,251 battles

Best part is that it seems it can stand up to BB shells expect the Yamato and Mushashi. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,696 posts
21 hours ago, Taco_De_Moist said:

I'll put it this way, my first 5 games in the Alaska were trash.  I was slinging HE more often than not and was struggling to do dmg, my avg after 5 games was around 45k I would say.  I switched it up and decided to sling AP only at ships under 17km.  I broke 100k the first time I did it and my last 4 games I probably averaged about 90k dmg.

Good call.

U.S. (and German) heavy (and super-heavy) cruisers ought to be slinging AP in many cases.  I don't get the people who think cruisers only shoot HE, no matter what type they are.  It's all about ammo type management, and the AP is pretty good.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,696 posts
8 hours ago, alex08060 said:

Best part is that it seems it can stand up to BB shells expect the Yamato and Mushashi. 

Well, if the BBs are stupid enough to let you bow-camp them.  I prefer to flank the Alaskas I see.  But then, I'm a pretty aggressive BB player.

Members
308 posts
1,877 battles
14 hours ago, alex08060 said:

Disagree, at closer range Alaska's guns are plenty for earlier, smaller or treaty battleships

[WOLF3]
Members
23,562 posts
21,117 battles
11 hours ago, alex08060 said:

To a degree.  But better than what Buffalo and Des Moines-class can take.

These 3 got the 27mm bow and all.  Same strengths and issues for such a thing.  The real difference in survival, outside the HP difference, are the Citadel levels.  A contrast of AK, DM, Buffalo citadels.  I love my Des Moines.  But the 406mm+ BBs are terrifying as you'll easily get Citadeled by them.  Not only does a BB have to work a bit more to Citadel AK, she has higher HP so getting outright deleted like the USN CAs can is extremely hard.  Shot placement on broadside AK by a BB has to be on the money because if it's just a hair high, it's just going to be Pens / Overpens and not the Citadel you want.  Still, I would not be tempting fate too much and protect the ship whenever possible.  Butt AK has things in place to save her from getting outright smashed by a BB that the normal USN CAs can't.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway