Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Fire and Maneuver Monday - Battleships and Cruisers

8 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,493 posts
8,765 battles

640px-Renown-9.jpg

*pictured - HMS Renown (front) performing a hard turn to port along with French battleship Richelieu and HMS Valiant in the Indian Ocean on May 12, 1944*

Do you position your battleship or cruiser in a strategic spot on the map or fire your guns while underway?

Some battleship and cruiser captains pick a good firing position on the map and rain shells on the OPFOR with good results.

Other captains choose to engage the enemy fleet sailing at full speed while maneuvering and making their ship more difficult to hit.

When your battlewagon or cruiser sails with the Fleet, do you find a good spot to shoot or do you sink ships through fire and maneuver?

"The fiercest serpent may be overcome by a swarm of ants." - Isoroku Yamamoto, Imperial Japanese Navy

#fireandmaneuvermonday

#anchorsaweigh

[RKLES]
Members
11,231 posts
12,618 battles

When under way at least fo initial minutes my guns will be silient in most of my BBs unless my BB has long range and enemy is spotted broadside with good shots for me. Reasons I typically keep the guns silent during initial traveling to strategic positions is to hide our numbers and direction, and in the case of my German BBs to wait until I am spotted before firing. Reason for the holing fire in German BBs is because the guns tend to only be accurate at 16km or preferably less, the turtleback armor works well at close or medium ranges but is highly vulnerable at long ranges, and finally by holding fire until I am spotted I can often be much closer to secondary gun range to aid in my fight.

My Cruisers tend to stay dark unless detected as well so they can use their stealth to move safely around the battlefield without taking citadel hits. Although I will join in firing at longer ranges if the situation calls for it and allows for me to do so with reasonable margins of safety.

As for sitting still, that is something I rarely do since like a shark staying on the move is staying alive, where as if you sit still you die. Although like sharks as a whole there are some rare times where you can and should sit still. (Small handful of shark species that can lay perfectly still. Most Sharks cannot sit still since moving is what their gills require to breath.) I have sank enough ships that were sitting still to know the dangers of it,  since sitting still means no maneuvering or at least sluggish movements at moments when you needed full mobility to save your ship.

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
3,371 posts
15,040 battles

Strategic positioning: no.

Move, shoot and communicate: yes.

In cruisers I follow my initial DD's and position myself to support them and then, if the disengage, use torps to deny a chase or attempts to exploit that withdrawal.

In BB's, same but at a different distance.  Never sitting still and always trying to support those in contact.....  Even with secondaries if necessary (10K+ secondaries....)

In divisions, we always are moving at the greatest possible armor angle to support a meeting engagement.   At contact, we break by division and "bound" towards or away from the threat....  "An enemy must choose whom they shoot at; and, it is prudent to give them more targets than they can service..... Because, we are all focused on only one enemy at a time..."  And that, is a hard nut to crack...........

• Cool 1

[DDCO]
[DDCO]
Members
81 posts
12,614 battles

I like the run and gun approach. I'll stop and camp if it is required for the win, but as general rule, I keep on the move. Since British ship's are the only real dragster's when accelerating, it work's for them better than most other nation's ship's. 

You can't dodge if your not moving!

• Cool 2

[RBMK]
Members
251 posts
18,594 battles

The strategic spot is whatever spot I am currently at. 

Never stay at a single location, the optimal spot changes all the time with the flow of battle.

• Cool 1

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles

Fire and Maneuver is the best way for me to stay relevant. It ensures that I stay mobile and am able to advance or retreat as the battle line changes, thereby maintaining my relevance throughout the battle.

• Cool 1

[OTG]
Beta Testers
592 posts
8,853 battles

Fire and Manuever is how you win games in the Penzacola.  I regularly 'tank' over 1 mil in potential damage while everyone stries to pen my cits.  

Members
627 posts
699 battles

I do whichever feels fun at the moment, since it ends the same no matter whats anyway.  Get at most two salvos off with, say, my Alabama, get instantly detected, then hounded to death by infinitie flights of aircraft launched from total safety on the other side of the map.

Sink. Load up next ship. Rinse and repeat. Such is life in world of corner campers.

Sign in to follow this