You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MartyStouffer

Help with De Grasse/Hood AA values (Unannounced changes)

11 comments in this topic

[R-F1]
Members
856 posts
7,700 battles
18 minutes ago, MartyStouffer said:

I have a conundrum.

When 0.8.0 was released, De Grasse and Hood each had two long range AA auras.  This was interesting because these ships got extra value from AA Mod 1 (the +2 flak burst applied to both auras, for an extra bonus).

This seemed appropriate given the nature of the ships and their niche AA designs - especially De Grasse with her split long range anti-air guns.

I am 100% positive that these ships had double auras, because I discussed it with other players, in chats that are now lost to time.  I added the AA Mod, and confirmed that both long range auras got the extra +2 bonus, as did the separate mid-range aura.  The world was a happy place.

As of 0.8.1(.1), these ships lost their double auras.  Was this a bug? Was this intended?

My problem is that, after submitting a bug report, even WG doesn't know.

They'd like screenshots of the ship in port with the two long range auras. I do not have these screenshots, or access to an old client.  Does anyone have a record?  A stream recording or ship review that may have De Grasse or Hood port stats from 0.8.0 to 0.8.0.3?

I’ve seen this topic pop up before, both the Hood and the De Grasse had split long range auras due to the nature of their AA gun sizes. Recently they were merged into a single aura in 0.8.0.3 as one of the miscellaneous unannounced changes. Whether this is intentional or not cannot really be determined but it should be noted that the CV (and thus AA) rework is very much in progress and thus such changes like these should be expected; heck, LittleWhiteMouse even says in her reviews to absolutely not buy a premium based solely on its AA values due to the transformative nature of the CV rework in its current state. 

[-TNT-]
Members
911 posts
16,649 battles

My De Grasse struggles because of the LR AA aura.  Note this also includes AA signal flag.  I respec my Charles Martel out of being a dedicated AA Captain. when I purchased this CL was the AA dual purpose allure. 

Degrasse modules.png

De Grasse LR AA.png

De Grasse MR AA.png

De Grasse SR AA.png

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon
  • Funny 1

[WLDAM]
Members
108 posts
10,033 battles
3 minutes ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

My De Grasse struggles because of the LR AA aura.  

Ha! Right?

Absolute gamebreaker.

[WOLF3]
Members
48 posts
8,577 battles

I'm going to bump this up because I'd very much like to know.

I struggled enough playing Hood as it was. With the AP changes and the AA rework and now the second aura disappearing I'm starting to feel plain confused.

It's particularly unfortunate since the "Fly! Strike! Win!" event is ongoing with missions for Hood.

Edited by Leovale

[BNKR]
Members
1,520 posts
1,907 battles

I can't help with the AA stuff. This however:

p196752_b_v8_ac.thumb.jpg.15d5e4922f42415d33ba3a8a08aa3dd9.jpg

This brings back some memories. My dad and I used to always watch that on PBS. Great series. I can hear the theme music in my head.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles
3 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I can't help with the AA stuff. This however:

p196752_b_v8_ac.thumb.jpg.15d5e4922f42415d33ba3a8a08aa3dd9.jpg

This brings back some memories. My dad and I used to always watch that on PBS. Great series. I can hear the theme music in my head.

this is some quality thread derailment right here.

[WOLF3]
Members
48 posts
8,577 battles

It's been nearly two months, we're now on 0.8.3.1, and there appears to have been nothing more said or done regarding this matter.

So, uh, bump. Again.

Hood was never a very good ship and the recent AP changes haven't done much in that regard. Without the AA gimmick, there's not much of reason to buy her.

[WOLFB]
Members
385 posts
7,222 battles

Sadly as it is now most ships have the AA equivalent to hurling chopped sausage bits from a blender at the planes while yelling 'GET OFF OF MY LAWN!" at them as they decimate half your health pool after a few passes.

Considering the state of limbo this whole mess is at frankly i don't think you'll get a lot of answers on this mate, doubtfully from us since we're the ones stuck in this mess and even less from the devs atm since they're busy with RU BBs and gathering data from this, couple of update long, public test of the CV rework.

Also off topic but i noticed something weird while playing my Duke Of York lol. When you use a ship capable of carrying hydro you have the option to turn on the hydro range circle on your minimap, but, for some odd reason, DOY doesn't even have the option...even thought it can't even switch off of Hydro...?

Well whatever just another one of the magical weird and whacky things in the game post CV rework. Hopefully some day we'll get answers to this whole mess, but right now the best we can do is suck it up and pray to RNGEESUS that our sausage bits do something.

[CNO]
Members
5,313 posts
16,672 battles
7 hours ago, Leovale said:

It's been nearly two months, we're now on 0.8.3.1, and there appears to have been nothing more said or done regarding this matter.

So, uh, bump. Again.

Hood was never a very good ship and the recent AP changes haven't done much in that regard. Without the AA gimmick, there's not much of reason to buy her.

Hood has three ranges.  Long.  Medium. Short.  Although I don't have explicit evidence of how the DFAA executes, based on several games it appears to be working just like any other ship.  A 100% bump to both bursts and constant AA.  This actually gives the Hood a very good Medium to Long AA punch with DFAA activated.  It changed the Hood from a Rocket punch point defense AA ship to a descent AA bubble support ship...effective in the clump.