You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HyperFish

X Salem or IX Jean Bart

35 comments in this topic

Members
614 posts
5,529 battles

I have enough coal and steel to buy one, but only one.

I'm thinking that I'd have more use for a US Premium, but according to LWM reviews Jean Bart is the better ship. I don't think I'm any better with a BB than with a CL. I think I'd enjoy the Salems gunnery (God knows I love my Russkie gunboats) but am concerned about the economic prospects of a premium Tier X. Most of my current premmies are Tier V to Tier VII.

Looking for recommendations.

Supertester
2,988 posts
4,104 battles

Cant speak for salem, but Jean is a beast. There is just so many tools at her disposal with the speedboost, MB reload, great concealment and manuverability, and that lovely all forward armament. 

Shes a little more fragile than you may like, but it is a well worthy trade off considering her strenghts

[ARGSY]
Members
16,499 posts
11,322 battles

Haven't I seen you ask this question before? Or was that a different Antipodean?

Salem has a HUGE built-in service-cost bonus on top of the one provided by her permacamo. Her after-battle costs are more like those of a Tier 7 ship. I don't know if you're running a premium account, but even if you are not, it is possible to play the Salem in co-op and not run a deficit.

I don't have Jean Bart, so I can't inform you on that ship specifically. I know I can take Musashi into co-op and not bleed many if any credits unless I do badly. JB is next on my list unless one of the high-tier Japanese cruisers of the Azuma family comes out for a similar amount of coal and proves to be much more desirable.

• Cool 1

[SOFOP]
Members
1,770 posts
11,971 battles

Don't convert steel to coal.  Coal is too easy to get for the conversion to ever make sense.

• Cool 5

[RED]
[RED]
Members
262 posts
11,787 battles

If you like Russian gunboats of flat arc rail guns. Why do you think you would like the Salem rainbow arcs?

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,645 posts
12,801 battles

I have the Salem, it's fun. Short alligator arm range, but fun. You will be dependent on island cover or a benevolent DD or any cruiser that has smoke (Salem doesn't have it).

My experience with the Salem it is one of two extremes. Either a unicum game or going back to port early with little or nothing to show for it.

Members
3,089 posts
12,080 battles
25 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

JB is next on my list unless one of the high-tier Japanese cruisers of the Azuma family comes out for a similar amount of coal and proves to be much more desirable.

I am fairly sure the coal price for the Yoshino will be in 300k range.

[ARGSY]
Members
16,499 posts
11,322 battles
4 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I am fairly sure the coal price for the Yoshino will be in 300k range.

I wouldn't want to wager against you on that call.

I wouldn't be surprised if Yoshino's voucher price comes pretty close to Jean Bart's all-up. I have currently earmarked the next two ship vouchers for JB and for Flint/Black - I will make the final call on that second one when I have enough steel for Black at 25% off, and can pick either based on which one I feel would suit me best (I have Atlanta, which would tend to bias me towards getting the Black so as to spend my steel on something significantly different).

[-TNT-]
Members
918 posts
16,679 battles
35 minutes ago, Feyevich said:

I have both. My vote is for Jean Bart, is the first BB I really enjoy.

Fellow clan mate using his Midway stated the JB is a no fly zone for him.

Members
211 posts
17,831 battles

Don`t wasted ur steel in coal please. After that, both are very good ships. I like Salem more, because like the CA play style, if You are a BB main, JB then. o7

Edited by Mala_suerte71

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,710 posts
11,957 battles

I have both. Salem is far more fun. 

The JB reload booster is stupid and you can spend all the mods and skills you want to keep your turrets running, that Iowa will just pen the turret face. It’s almost funny how often I see a JB with at least one turret destroyed.

[-A-8-]
Members
185 posts
15,519 battles

Salem is suprising cheap to run. It's a premium ship with premium camo. See link below for details.

I have both and they are nice ships to play and earn good credits. It really boils down to whether you prefer cruisers or battleships.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy#Service_Cost

Edited by wildgooseman
Added wiki link

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,642 posts
1,149 battles
1 hour ago, HyperFish said:

I'm thinking that I'd have more use for a US Premium, but according to LWM reviews Jean Bart is the better ship. I don't think I'm any better with a BB than with a CL. I think I'd enjoy the Salems gunnery (God knows I love my Russkie gunboats) but am concerned about the economic prospects of a premium Tier X. Most of my current premmies are Tier V to Tier VII.

Have you played Des Moines or Richi at all?

Do you have a preference on cruiser to BB?

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,351 posts
18,175 battles

Save your steel for RU tier 10 DD Nuttershimmy.

Supertester
2,988 posts
4,104 battles
46 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Save your steel for RU tier 10 DD Nuttershimmy.

I'm fairly certain it is tier 9. But it is for steel, and steel to coal is never a good idea. Did that for Jean and am regretting it dearly (1150 away from bourg)

[KMK]
Members
218 posts
9,826 battles
1 hour ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

Fellow clan mate using his Midway stated the JB is a no fly zone for him.

Has very good AA.

[RKLES]
Members
11,310 posts
12,728 battles
2 hours ago, HyperFish said:

Salem is exactly like the Des Moines except Salem loses the smallest caliber AA guns which is no real difference in AA, and Salem loses a little of the Radar range and duration. Salem gains super heals that add massive amounts of HP back onto the ship however. So like in Clan Wars where you end up fighting a lot of cruisers the Salem is a beast with the armor, guns, and mobility of Des Moines plus a Super Healing ability that keeps you alive when Des Moines would have been sunk usually.

Other Advantages of Salem over the Jean Bart is when Wargaming  anniversary happens each year, 1 battle played in each tier X you own with earn you a Super Container for each of the X ships.

I have not gotten Jean Bart yet because while I can do ok in French Battleships Tier 8+, I never do great in them personally. They always feel like they are resisting me or something. So they seem to be one of those ship lines that either love you or fight against you. Like Royal Navy DDs which depending on the player will either be terrible or amazingly good. So if you like French high tier BBs and do well in them then Jean Bart sounds good. But I can personally vouch for Salem being a good ship. 

Also would like to add a final piece of advice.  NEVER SPEND STEEL ON COAL SHIPS BECAUSE COAL IS A LOT EASIER TO EARN THAN STEEL IS!!!!!!! Really important to only spend coal on coal ships or steel on steel ships or else you miss miss out on something special. Also only use the ship coupons onnthe most expensive Arsenal ships to ensure you get the most for its use.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,923 posts
14,330 battles

Do you like play more with CLs? Take Salem

Do you like play more with BBs? Take Jean.

For example, its not matters the ship be "more strong" if you dont like play with his class.

[INTEL]
Members
2,640 posts
13,983 battles
42 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

... the Salem is a beast with the armor, guns, and mobility of Des Moines plus a Super Healing ability that keeps you alive when Des Moines would have been sunk usually.

I have not gotten Jean Bart yet because while I can do ok in French Battleships Tier 8+, I never do great in them personally. They always feel like they are resisting me or something. So they seem to be one of those ship lines that either love you or fight against you. Like Royal Navy DDs which depending on the player will either be terrible or amazingly good. So if you like French high tier BBs and do well in them then Jean Bart sounds good. But I can personally vouch for Salem being a good ship. 

The Des Moines has a pretty big mobility advantage over the Salem if you have the Advanced Propulsion Unique Upgrade.  That can get you out of trouble pretty quickly if you find yourself exposed.

Because of the MBRB on the Jean Bart, it's a bit of a different beast than the other French BBs.  Given the opportunity it can really punish poorly positioned opponents.  Even DDs caught detected within 12km can be mortally wounded very quickly.

[WMD]
Members
1,165 posts
8,510 battles

As someone that likes CAs more than BBs I chose Salem first(JB wasn't around then either), but now I own both. Since buying and running both, I still prefer the Salem for the RoF of her guns, and the USN AP.

[PONL]
Members
46 posts
4,849 battles

I faced the same decision about a month or so ago and decided to go with Jean Bart, a decision I do not regret in the slightest. Unique and very fun experience.

While I love Des Moines, if I want a Des Moines-like playstyle, I will just play Des Moines.