You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_PP

What Wargaming Ought to do if They Nerf A Premium

24 comments in this topic

[COMET]
Members
369 posts
12,286 battles

First off Wargaming will most likely nerf premium ships we all know the top 5 ones. If the nerf is seen as a big change then These are the things I ought to expect.

1. Wargaming issues a public apology. They would say either they made a mistake and that the ship should not have been released. 

2. Compensation should be issued. When the Graf Zeppelin was released in a broken state they issued special camos for players who kept the ship instead of getting a monetary refund. Or something else as increased item compensation I really don’t know what.

3. Require a monetary refund for changes to a ship, if the ship was bought. If you got it in a container you would get it back in doubloons.

4. That should include any other premium ships deemed to be nerfed in the future. You release a broken ship is not the communities fault you screwed up but that doesn’t mean you keep money for it.

5. Simply don’t buy premium ships. Emphasis on last point. You can play for free and not give a darn about all this drama. The game is free after all if the company goes belly up you have no monetary risk tied to it.

• Cool 8
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
16,335 posts
11,208 battles
1 minute ago, IvanPonomarev said:

The game is free after all if the company goes belly up you have no monetary risk tied to it.

If the company goes belly-up, my favourite form of online entertainment goes down the drain with it.

I do not want that to happen.

• Cool 3

[SAVAG]
[SAVAG]
Members
759 posts
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If the company goes belly-up, my favourite form of online entertainment goes down the drain with it.

No one wants that to happen ....

WG can redeem itself . Let's see if it happens .

[OO7]
Members
3,852 posts
9,125 battles
3 minutes ago, Versili said:

No one wants that to happen ....

WG can redeem itself . Let's see if it happens .

idk, I can imagine a few folks over at War Thunder might be pretty happy to have that happen :cap_rambo:

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts
20 minutes ago, IvanPonomarev said:

1. Wargaming issues a public apology. They would say either they made a mistake and that the ship should not have been released.

Can we stop with this "public apology" culture we've had brewing for the past few years? Honestly, what's the obsession with wanting to make someone publicly degrade themselves for something that isn't even a big deal? 

Oh no, a ship in a game turned out to be too strong for its tier. What a shocking, horrible, indefensible, atrocious crime. Clearly only getting on your knees and begging forgiveness will do!

If you bought a premium ship because you thought it was going to be a crutch for you, or let you "pwn the nubs" and are mad that it's not going to be as big of a thwack stick as it was before, you are advocating for pay to win and hiding behind concepts like consumer rights to do it. 

• Cool 4

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
33 minutes ago, IvanPonomarev said:

First off Wargaming will most likely nerf premium ships we all know the top 5 ones. If the nerf is seen as a big change then These are the things I ought to expect.

2. Compensation should be issued. When the Graf Zeppelin was released in a broken state they issued special camos for players who kept the ship instead of getting a monetary refund. Or something else as increased item compensation I really don’t know what.

3. Require a monetary refund for changes to a ship, if the ship was bought. If you got it in a container you would get it back in doubloons.

4. That should include any other premium ships deemed to be nerfed in the future. You release a broken ship is not the communities fault you screwed up but that doesn’t mean you keep money for it.

5. Simply don’t buy premium ships. Emphasis on last point. You can play for free and not give a darn about all this drama. The game is free after all if the company goes belly up you have no monetary risk tied to it.

Every other game developer nerfs premium content after sale with *none* of your points listed and has neither gone belly up nor saw drop in profits. You are just spoiled by wargaming's *self* imposed restriction they seem to be finally wising up to dismissing.

When Lion's Gate/Overkill nerfed assault rifles in Payday 2, they didn't apologies for my L85's decreased accuracy (a selling point). They didn't issue compensation, of any type, monetary or 'in game'. It didn't stop me, or anyone else, from buying future content, because it wasn't a big deal. And this is far from the only example of this behavior. You are holding Wargaming to an unreasonable standard and forcing *all* of us to pay the price. Owning an overpowered premium does not EXEMPT you from having to play against it, and it's just as annoying for me to face a Nikolai, or Belfast, or Kutz as it is when I'm in the driver seat against others. The *non* selfish thing is to accept it is overpowered and tolerate it's abilities to be reigned in because there are bigger things than selfishly wanting to abuse others with ships that were SO game breaking a Major Developer had to sit back and say, "We'd rather make NO money or much less money off this thing we put money, time, and energy into, then risk the game becoming more imbalanced by their proliferation."

Or, put another way, could you ever imagine EA or Activision or Ubisoft going "oops, made that premium content too strong, guess we cannot sell it anymore and take the loss." Nope, they'd nerf it in a heart beat and proof in the pudding, EACH one has in just the past few months.

8 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

idk, I can imagine a few folks over at War Thunder might be pretty happy to have that happen :cap_rambo:

Speaking of Warthunder, when Gajin has had to nerf premium aircraft/tanks, they have offered 0 compensation nor even treated it as a big deal.

The consternation over the Premium nerfs is really amazing and shows how little the Warships community understands the larger gaming landscape.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
2,622 posts
13,888 battles
4 minutes ago, TTK_Aegis said:

Can we stop with this "public apology" culture we've had brewing for the past few years?

amen

Seems a bit too Orwellian.

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
911 posts
16,586 battles

War gaming should sell premium ships that are identical to sister ships tech tree; and the only benefit to having a premium ship is credit earner and training captains.  Stop the gimmicky [edited] stuff.  

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon
  • Boring 3

[YETI]
Beta Testers
2,906 posts
23,942 battles
31 minutes ago, IvanPonomarev said:

Short and sweet and straight to the main point. well said I agree 100%

[ARGSY]
Members
16,335 posts
11,208 battles
11 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I recall a camera forum related to a particular brand which had a doomsaying troll, later found to be accepting money from another brand. I really, REALLY hope dodgy stuff like that is not happening here.

[COMET]
Members
369 posts
12,286 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I recall a camera forum related to a particular brand which had a doomsaying troll, later found to be accepting money from another brand. I really, REALLY hope dodgy stuff like that is not happening here.

He defintely plays WOWs

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
749 posts
10,903 battles

I'm a WG big spender.  That's over.  I'm going to be a free rider going forward.  Wishing I hadn't bought all that premium time over Christmas.

[ZR]
Beta Testers
262 posts
9,203 battles

Agree with point 5, we as a community need to band together and tell WG this isn’t acceptable. 

The  biggest issue I have is that wargaming knew the ships were over powered, and yet they continued to sell the ships either individually or use them as bait to get people to gamble with the loot boxes.  This all feels like wargaming messed up, and yet it’s the player base that is being punished. Unless WG refunds people that bought loot boxes with the sole goal of getting one of the OP ships.

[TF-60]
Members
392 posts
12,592 battles
41 minutes ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

War gaming should sell premium ships that are identical to sister ships tech tree; and the only benefit to having a premium ship is credit earner and training captains.  Stop the gimmicky [edited] stuff.  

They could just sell special camos for tech tree ships that allow use of any captain, increased credit bonus, and appropriate Xp bonuses

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
8,970 posts
7,890 battles
57 minutes ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

They could, they did, like Prinz Eugen. Recall people being all over the place wanting to buy her?

On the contrary, she was unpopular because she was so similar.

[CRMSN]
[CRMSN]
Members
62 posts
12,079 battles
1 hour ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

You'd eliminate a LOT of ships like that. For example, look at the Blyskawica, Nueve de Julio, Perth, and Vampire. There really isn't a tech-tree counterpart to them. If you're going to offer Premiums only to boost credits, and allow for any captain to go on the ship freely, you could just do that via a special camouflage on ANY tech tree ship

[BS]
Members
1,929 posts
9,773 battles

WHy do i always hear this crap about "what company wants to stop selling a premium because it's overpowered, therefore lose out on all the profits." 

Wargaming has made 10x more on these rare OP premiums then if they'd been released mediocre. Look at how many battles of Vanguard have been played, then look at how many battles have been played on the OP premiums.

BUT REMEMBER, the $$ per game on those OP premiums is a much higher amount due to people blowing hundreds on crates year after years, as opposed to 50$ a pop for vanguard... A mediocre ship. Only the Massachusetts (kinda OP itself, it's main guns are too accurate) might rival the OP premiums in $$ per game played due to the overwhelming amount of sales seen for it.

[CRMSN]
[CRMSN]
Members
62 posts
12,079 battles
43 minutes ago, Desertfox51 said:

Agree with point 5, we as a community need to band together and tell WG this isn’t acceptable. 

The  biggest issue I have is that wargaming knew the ships were over powered, and yet they continued to sell the ships either individually or use them as bait to get people to gamble with the loot boxes.  This all feels like wargaming messed up, and yet it’s the player base that is being punished. Unless WG refunds people that bought loot boxes with the sole goal of getting one of the OP ships.

This is my problem with the whole thing. Wargaming knew what they were doing- let's just look at the Cesare right now:

They released it, with almost every CC saying that it would be the next Nikolai. They then proceeded to give them away by the truckload to inactive players, and then advertised it in lootboxes. They actually buffed it a couple times along the way with mechanics changes- go figure. 

Wargaming is only in this mess, due to them making total screwups. They shouldn't nerf the Premiums to people who paid for them. What they SHOULD do:

1. Add a clause for the future, saying that Premiums can be rebalanced

2. Rebalance the old Premiums, and resell them, BUT....

2a. Offer players who have the ship already an option to keep the ORIGINAL version (Give it a special "Collector's Edition" badge like they did with old Buicks or something), or a full doubloon refund plus a coupon for the Arsenal to discount something else they'll like.

3. Listen more to the CCs. If they all say something is broken, it's probably broken

• Cool 2

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,151 posts
4,908 battles
1 hour ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

Actually that doesn't sound bad.

[BNKR]
Members
1,519 posts
1,874 battles

I'm going to keep buying stuff and enjoying the game. You guys go ahead and do whatever. If people are this cracked about it, then don't buy digital goods for any reason, ever. Especially in a game. I'd be willing to bet some of the people getting worked up over Cesare are the same ones who said it was too powerful and shouldn't be available anymore. 

• Boring 1

[WOLF6]
Members
833 posts
7,849 battles

Sounds boring actually .. I think if WG uses just a little common sense premiums can offer something different from tech tree ships without going overboard . Bismarck/Tirpitz is a good example ,  hydro vs torps , both useful . I will rush smoke in the Bismarck but not in the Tirpitz , I'll bum rush ships in the Tirpitz that would give me pause in the Bismarck . Both fun , both useful . Iowa/Missouri is another good example as far as gameplay . Mo has radar , Iowa has fighter/spotter planes and better rudder shift , I find Iowa more comfortable to play now than the Mo . It can be done , just not sure it will be done though . The devs gotta spend time on those spaceships ya know .

Forum hiccup , quote didn't work .

Edited by retic1959
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,233 posts
12,638 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah I would greatly miss Wargaming and this Community. 

[NUWES]
Members
2,770 posts
8,917 battles
2 hours ago, IvanPonomarev said:

1. They will probably say something officially. I'm not sure it will be an "apology" like with GZ, but they almost certainly will say something when the patch goes live.

2. I certainly wouldn't object to this although I'm not sure that a color shift or something will be all that interesting. 

3.  They have done this every time they had to alter a premium so far. (GZ [basically twice], Enterprise, Kaga, Saipan.) They even did it for Belfast, Perth (and I think Kutu). I suspect they will do so again here, they just haven't said it yet. The doubloons that is. Monetary refund isn't going to happen. For starters I'm not sure they really know how you got the ship. If you got it in a daily (super) container or from some other free event, it didn't actually cost you anything. They aren't going to go back through their archives and figure out how each person acquired the ship. Also, do they then have to determine how much you actually used the ship while it was in its broken state? The user got full value for the overpowered thing for the whole time. If you treat it like a legal settlement as people have claimed, the award gets reduced by the use-value that everyone already got from owning the overpowered ship. They aren't going to go into that. They'll almost certainly just offer doubloons for anyone who doesn't want to keep it, like with the carriers. 

4. See #3.

5. Why would I want to do that? I enjoy the game and want it to stay alive. Also, I like the historic premium ships.  I am well aware that GC was OP from the beginning and they should have addressed it then. I am not pleased with that, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't fix it now and offer some compensation for those who no longer want the ship the same way they have done for the carriers. Personally I think they need to address Missouri, Belfast and Nikolai as well rather than take them out of the game completely. I know several players who would love to have some of all of them but they can't because rather than fix them Wargaming has chosen to hide them. Just fix them so that they are acceptable and put them back on sale again. 

[ARGSY]
Members
16,335 posts
11,208 battles
1 hour ago, Tsukiumi_Chan said:

For example, look at the Blyskawica, Nueve de Julio, Perth, and Vampire. There really isn't a tech-tree counterpart to them.

Perhaps not so true of the Vampire any more, now that the British destroyers are in the game, though there are of course significant differences between the premium ship and her tech-tree British equivalent (until such time as you run out of consumables, and even then the torps set them apart).