You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BattleBard149

DDs Dominating COOP Recently

55 comments in this topic

[KREW]
Members
489 posts
11,255 battles

Ahoy mates,

Is it just me, or have any of you noticed how, for the last week or two, that DDs are utterly dominating COOP play?  Most games that I play (and I am a COOP main) seem to have at least 2-3 DDs in them (and I have seen as many as 5). They are plunging ahead and torpedoing everything in sight, often so quickly destroying all the ships that we in the BBs, cruisers, and the occasional CV have little chance to get a kill or even shoot at a ship before all of them are sunk. I have been playing for about 7 months now (mostly COOP), and I have never seen anything like this. In virtually every game that I play, the top scores, and most of the ship kills, go to the DD's... often the top 3 scores are DDs, if we have 3.

Is it because of very experienced DD players that have moved over from randoms to avoid the CVs? Is it because of the DD stealth buff, allowing them to rush right in and torp the reds before they even know they are there? Or is it just a weird run of DD dominated games that has gone on for a long time now? Has anyone else noticed this (especially you COOP mains), or is it just me? It has gotten so bad that it has greatly affected my ability to even get a decent score, much less a good one... The games are over almost before they start, and even if I hit ships continuously with my guns, I just don't have time to rack up any kind of points before everything is dead. Not in every game, of course, but in a very unusually high number of them these days. And this is NOT a bash the DDs thread. I am just really curious as to whether I am experiencing an unusual run of DD heavy games, or have others noticed this also?

Here is a fairly typical example of a game score lately, one of many very much like this:

shot-19.03.11_08.37.11-0951.jpg

Edited by FuBard123
spelling errors and grammer

[WOLFG]
Members
7,850 posts
5,969 battles

While DDs moving over from PVP may be increasing their influence,  DDs have always done well in PVE.

[KREW]
Members
489 posts
11,255 battles

That is very true, but it really seems like the last week or two that DDs are just totally dominating virtually every game. As I said, maybe I'm just having an unusual run of games. 

Members
50 posts
2,015 battles

Also, there might be a large number of people playing DDs in coop for the Exeter mission, since DDs are suited for several of these two week's missions.

• Cool 4

[WOLFG]
Members
7,850 posts
5,969 battles

I swear the game is bipolar.

I am playing tier 5 right now (seeing tier 4-7).

Some games it is one DD.  (DD is very popular with the bots).

Other games there will be 4 DDs (and a quick, limited reward game for the fatties).

One game yesterday (tier 7) in the Konigsberg, we had no DDs, meaning I was the DD. (Gotta love PT going to 5).

[USCC]
Members
2,754 posts
12,006 battles

/me keeps his cowardly DD mouth shut. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
181 posts
7,794 battles
15 minutes ago, FuBard123 said:

Is it just me, or have any of you noticed how, for the last week or two, that DDs are utterly dominating COOP play?

In my experience this has always been true.  I often use Coop to farm specific missions (cap defends is a prime example).  With the predictability of the bots, a lot of fast firing guns, and torpedoes,  slow moving/shooting ships are at a disadvantage.

Abbye

• Cool 1

[KREW]
Members
489 posts
11,255 battles

This really drives home the idea that having 12 bots in COOP seems like an awesome idea to me. That way we poor fatties might have more targets to shoot at and maybe the DDs wouldn't get 'em all.  :Smile-_tongue:

[-TNT-]
Members
915 posts
16,679 battles

I'll bounce around using Gearing, Shimakaze and Republique. The DDs are great for setting up an ambush behind islands near cap zones. Republique is awesome for a secondaries build 12.1K, her speed and averaging 2-4 per match.  Keep in mind there is a Hall of Fame going on right now. Most players want the 4 free premium days. I think WG should increase number of bots to 15.

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon

[USCC]
Members
2,754 posts
12,006 battles

Maps also play a part in DD's dominating a match, EG: two brothers, possibly the worst map for BB's competing for damage with DD's.

DD goes up middle, bots come down middle, bots all die, bb's get none.

The larger more spread out maps are better for all matches in PVE.

Had a match yesterday on two brothers, tier VIII  IX mach OF COURSE I was in a BB, I went up the right side behind a DD and a CA.

The CA and DD took out the one lone dd while two DD's on our team lured all the bots down the middle, needless to say, it was sad face time.

Next time I'ma ram my fat BB azz right up the middle too lol

[KREW]
Members
489 posts
11,255 battles

I think you guys are probably right about DDs coming into COOP for the missions. It really has been the last couple of weeks that I've noticed it, and that fits it perfectly.

I even tried out my DD in a few... but they generally didn't end too well... DDs are something I have yet to master, and last time I played one I got terminated before I could even fire a shot. I was spotted trying to smoke up, focused by 4 ships at once, then BLAP! Dev strike and dead with an absolute zero score, damage-wise.:Smile_hiding:

[O_O]
Members
5,986 posts
13,809 battles

My first 3 games of the day are typically Nicholas, Farragut, and something else in Co-op to get the first two stages of my first daily mission done.  The XP requirements are low and Co-op games are quick, so it just seems more efficient.  And, yeah, I'm guilty of hogging.  Co-op suits the DD since the bots rush forward begging to be torped, and don't stay in their smoke once they lay it.  Nicholas is a butcher in Co-op, too, with two torp launchers on each side.  I rush up to first DD contact, then smoke up once it starts shooting.  I gun that one down (he is usually spotted by a team mate since he is still firing), then rush to the nearest BB or two.  If I get two together, I'll torp them both easily.  I'd say I'm getting 2-4 kills on average.

Members
162 posts

This has been going on for more than a couple of weeks and has completely ruined coop in my opinion. I mean really who doesn't love a 3 minute game whereas you might get a shot or 2 off and it's over. Sounds fun right? I am a coop main too and have resorted to just making my own custom games in training room just to make it fun again. I don't earn anything anymore, but on the bright side you can completely upgrade your ships (camos, flags and consumables) and have a blast if you enjoy PVE. I doubt I will ever go back unless I have the need to grind something or WG fixes this mess. 

• Cool 1

[XG]
Members
154 posts
800 battles

I don't know about the high tiers, but Co-op in the middle tiers has been flooded with DD's and CV's ever since the rework went live. The DD's get a lot of kills, and the carriers are worthless, so it all evens out.

Edited by CruiserSailor
Spelling
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
300 posts
1,403 battles

DDs really do make it a race against time.  I dusted off a stock New Mexico in co-op recently and it was pretty painful.  If I miss any of the few shots I get to take I know it's going to kill my xp.  I might just suck up the stock grind in Random and Operations.

[VW]
Members
3,583 posts
17,511 battles
1 hour ago, FuBard123 said:

Ahoy mates,

Is it just me, or have any of you noticed how, for the last week or two, that DDs are utterly dominating COOP play?  Most games that I play (and I am a COOP main) seem to have at least 2-3 DDs in them (and I have seen as many as 5). They are plunging ahead and torpedoing everything in sight, often so quickly destroying all the ships that we in the BBs, cruisers, and the occasional CV have little chance to get a kill or even shoot at a ship before all of them are sunk. I have been playing for about 7 months now (mostly COOP), and I have never seen anything like this. In virtually every game that I play, the top scores, and most of the ship kills, go to the DD's... often the top 3 scores are DDs, if we have 3.

Is it because of very experienced DD players that have moved over from randoms to avoid the CVs? Is it because of the DD stealth buff, allowing them to rush right in and torp the reds before they even know they are there? Or is it just a weird run of DD dominated games that has gone on for a long time now? Has anyone else noticed this (especially you COOP mains), or is it just me? It has gotten so bad that it has greatly affected my ability to even get a decent score, much less a good one... The games are over almost before they start, and even if I hit ships continuously with my guns, I just don't have time to rack up any kind of points before everything is dead. Not in every game, of course, but in a very unusually high number of them these days. And this is NOT a bash the DDs thread. I am just really curious as to whether I am experiencing an unusual run of DD heavy games, or have others noticed this also?

Here is a fairly typical example of a game score lately, one of many very much like this:

shot-19.03.11_08.37.11-0951.jpg

This has always been the case. You are seening more of it as random players are farming rewards in coop (fly strike meh etc) and thus dominating matches.

[MAC]
Members
7 posts
14,964 battles

As others have mentioned, DDs are playing co-op to finish the tough Exeter missions.  Much easier in co-op to get floods and fires in a quicker battles.

Edited by almac7

[KREW]
Members
489 posts
11,255 battles

Well, I thought I'd take my new Furious to COOP and see how I could do with it this morning. But, as has become usual, before I could even get In my 3rd strike of planes, the game ended. The 3 DDs once more took the top 3 scores and sank 7 out of 8 ships.:cap_wander:

shot-19.03.11_09.54.58-0116.jpg

[WOLFG]
Members
7,850 posts
5,969 battles
1 minute ago, FuBard123 said:

Well, I thought I'd take my new Furious to COOP and see how I could do with it this morning. But, as has become usual, before I could even get In my 3rd strike of planes, the game ended. The 3 DDs once more took the top 3 scores and sank 7 out of 8 ships.:cap_wander:

shot-19.03.11_09.54.58-0116.jpg

That game needs a Konigsberg.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

So PVP doesn't want them, co-op doesn't want them, they're bad in scenarios. I guess destroyers just don't deserve to play at all.

• Boring 1

[-BUI-]
Members
1,456 posts
4,652 battles

Its cause Co-Op is stupid easy.  

I was Co-Op-ing this weekend, which is rare for me (wanted to just burn through those combat missions)...played DD most of them, the CPU is so predictable I found myself popping reload booster at the start of the game in a Harugumo, just throwing them into the cap area and scoring 1-2 kills each game, usually the DD and the Cruiser behind it.   

Sorry you folks who play this mode exclusively (I sorta understand why, but at the same time, progression is too slow for me to bother, and if combat missions couldn't be done I'd never so much as touch the mode), but its not difficult, unless you just get really unlucky in a cruiser, there is little excuse for even being sunk in this mode, just sit back and pop the cpu 1 by 1, there is no reason to even leave your spawn in co-op.

Edited by Zenn3k

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
12,011 battles

I play Cruisers and Battleships in random (over 6,000 games), but play DD in Coop everyday to clear the first daily chain, as well as to quickly clear missions in events like Fly Strike Win. I play DD in Coop for exact;y the reason you state; the game can be over before a slow DD even gets in range. Better yet, I can charge, get 1–2 kills, get sunk, and still finish toward the top the team, possibly even getting into a third game before the first one finishes.

I would rather do event tasks in Coop where I may take extreme risks, so as not to jeopardize my team in a Random game. In general, a decent team in Coop should win even with two AFK players, so I don't feel guilty if I get sunk quickly if I take 1-2 enemy ships with me.

[KREW]
Members
489 posts
11,255 battles

Though I try not to be judgmental and negative in my gaming, I do find it a bit annoying when people from randoms come into COOP just to get "easy" kills, medals, mission goals, etc. I have seen many regular random players who look down their noses at the people who prefer to play COOP, yet when they need something for a mission, they immediately head to the "inferior" COOP mode to grab what they need at the expense of the "inferior" COOP players. 

I, for one, do NOT play COOP because it is "easier" or more predictable (which it is not nearly as much as it used to be... the bots are more unpredictable now than they were before). I play COOP because the bots rush forward aggressively, and more often than not, this results in a good old-fashioned brawl, often at medium to close quarters, perfect for gunships (and torpedoes). The games are often fast, and then on to the next. I find that far more exciting, satisfying, and fun than sitting there for the first 5-10 minutes of a random game doing virtually nothing, then sniping from behind islands for most of the rest of the long 20 minute game.

To each his own, but the attitude that random players are somehow "superior" to those of us who enjoy COOP gets old.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[H_]
Members
3,429 posts
15,219 battles

OP:  as said well above....  I play COOP more than random.  And, I drive DD's mostly. 

In COOP, there is no radar, no waiting, no serious tactics and no CV threats.  Go as fast as you can to the closest cap, wait till the first enemy DD shows up.  Hit smoke, destroy that DD with guns and then take on the followers with torps.....  One, two and three and then, finish the cap and look for something else to shoot or cap.  It's that simple.  

Now, some have said "that's boring"?  It can be sometimes but, at least you aren't: spotted immediately by AC (and your DD has an AA value of 9-20); then, you get radared from someone no where near you and if you survive the 30 to 52 main guns rounds every 3 to 6 seconds;  then,  you are rocketed and bombed through smoke for about 5 minutes; and, if you survive all that, you get to shoot a single salvo of torpedoes at maximum range only to be blue-force killed by a friendly battleship screaming at you to "get in there and spot something for me to shoot at (as I hide behind an Island at the boundary....)  !!  So, is random fun???   Nooooooooooo.... 

• Cool 1