Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Thanks, Maskarado, for the Permacamo!

20 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,150 posts

I've been hoarding away doubloons like a miser in hopes to one day get enough to buy a permacamo for my Midway. 5000 was such a long way off but I got a 1000-doubloon supercontainer, and then another. A bit later and there were very generous events that gave me more doubloons. I got a few more from a couple of campaigns. 4903 now, but then there were no more for the longest time. Another event and another 50! So very close now.

Then came the current event. Could I find a Maskarado to sink? I played and played but to no avail. I didn't have high hope of sinking one as I'm not known for sinking a lot of ships in this game, much less event ships.  In fact, the only Corgi I sank was one that I literally ran into by accident as I came round a corner.

But, what is this? An event player, and I'm the closest ship. Could I sink him? I crept up. This was my ship, I couldn't let the team take my prize. But, wait! Drat, there is a DD in the cap. I will have to radar it and help sink it first. OK, mission accomplished. The Maskarado is still there. In fact, he's been shooting at me as I shot at the DD. I try AP but he's too smart to broadside me, so it's back to HE. But, darn it, a BB now is attacking me. Back to cover and more HE to that pesky BB's nose. We take care of the BB and my team caps.

Good, that Maskarado is still behind the corner there. But the team has spotted him! Quick, I must get to him first! I push in, heedless of the two enemy ships that are now shooting at me from the side. I use my heal and pop radar. Maybe my team will see and shoot the other ships and leave my prize alone. The Maskarado comes out to brawl me. Secondaries firing, I load AP and try to get a citadel. But no! He's too wily and stays angled. We wheel and turn. I have no hitpoints left... but I do have one small thing that he may not -- a ramming flag!

I angle toward him but he puts on a burst of speed. Can I make it? It seems not, he is past me now. But no! My bow just barely clips his stern and I've got my doubloons! Permacamo here I come. Now I can play the Midway and not lose so many credits.

image.thumb.png.c07b4f77e2525996de142f1b27f6eafd.png

• Cool 16
  • Boring 2

[NDA]
Supertester, Beta Testers
1,012 posts
9,383 battles

So good you could get you goal from one of my fellow mask Captain, well done

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,150 posts

My first time out was a defeat but it was a good test of the finances. Not a whole lot of credits but at least I no longer am losing them.

image.thumb.png.157c694a00e88835d87df5b66efe5414.png

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
3,669 posts
20,403 battles

Congratulations on getting to your goal

[ABCD3]
Members
381 posts
9,514 battles

Congrats!

[SC]
Members
9 posts
4,189 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I've been hoarding away doubloons like a miser in hopes to one day get enough to buy a permacamo for my Midway. 5000 was such a long way off but I got a 1000-doubloon supercontainer, and then another. A bit later and there were very generous events that gave me more doubloons. I got a few more from a couple of campaigns. 4903 now, but then there were no more for the longest time. Another event and another 50! So very close now.

Then came the current event. Could I find a Maskarado to sink? I played and played but to no avail. I didn't have high hope of sinking one as I'm not known for sinking a lot of ships in this game, much less event ships.  In fact, the only Corgi I sank was one that I literally ran into by accident as I came round a corner.

But, what is this? An event player, and I'm the closest ship. Could I sink him? I crept up. This was my ship, I couldn't let the team take my prize. But, wait! Drat, there is a DD in the cap. I will have to radar it and help sink it first. OK, mission accomplished. The Maskarado is still there. In fact, he's been shooting at me as I shot at the DD. I try AP but he's too smart to broadside me, so it's back to HE. But, darn it, a BB now is attacking me. Back to cover and more HE to that pesky BB's nose. We take care of the BB and my team caps.

Good, that Maskarado is still behind the corner there. But the team has spotted him! Quick, I must get to him first! I push in, heedless of the two enemy ships that are now shooting at me from the side. I use my heal and pop radar. Maybe my team will see and shoot the other ships and leave my prize alone. The Maskarado comes out to brawl me. Secondaries firing, I load AP and try to get a citadel. But no! He's too wily and stays angled. We wheel and turn. I have no hitpoints left... but I do have one small thing that he may not -- a ramming flag!

I angle toward him but he puts on a burst of speed. Can I make it? It seems not, he is past me now. But no! My bow just barely clips his stern and I've got my doubloons! Permacamo here I come. Now I can play the Midway and not lose so many credits.

Congrats on reaching your goal, it's been fun sailing around as a mask this weekend giving out doubloons, you guys made it fun. Enjoy your camo!

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
913 posts
10,566 battles

Congrats on making your goal. Its good to see that many can earn great rewards just by consistently playing

[R_N]
[R_N]
Members
125 posts
7,353 battles

Snargfargle,

Congratulations!!!!!

Do you recall who were the Maskarados you unmasked?

I was Event_Maskarado_58 it was fun providing this event for the community.

Members
1,724 posts
10,757 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Can you believe it? I just got another one. He was in a DD and I was in a Fuso.

So did you get another permacamo?

[ARGSY]
Members
16,499 posts
11,322 battles
7 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

My first time out was a defeat but it was a good test of the finances.

The ultimate test of a permacamo's worth is an early death and loss in co-op, especially if you are not running a premium account (I am, but I still take a look at the non-premium earnings and see how things would have gone down). I have ONE Tier 10 tech tree ship, Minotaur, and I made damn sure I put a permacamo on her ASAP (paid for with Prinz Eitel Friedrich's gold; I won the ship on a stream and then picked up her gold value in the event grind). I am slowly saving doubloon handouts here and there as I may win them, and at the rate I am crawling toward the Daring (currently on stock Jervis still), she and her permacamo will probably be ready together.

That being said, I am currently beating my head against the wall for buying one for the La Galissonniere, because lo!, here comes the Space Battles event with the opportunity to win one! At least it was 50% off. And after winning one for the Minsk in that giveaway a short time back and picking up the New Year ones in the PEF events for some ships I'd already bought them for (e.g. Dallas, Icarus), I have decided there will be no more buying of permacamo for the foreseeable future; it's become far too likely that WG will offer me a free one at some stage!  :Smile_teethhappy:

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,642 posts
1,149 battles
8 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Awesome to hear! 

Congrats on reaching your goal and getting the Midway perma-camo!

[OO7]
Members
475 posts
5,655 battles

Most of the masks I came across were on my team.  The one time the masks were on the other team, they almost won the match for the red team by killing nearly half the team by themselves.  I had to work hard to win that match, didn't get to kill them myself, but I am happy for the win.

Edited by mixmkz

[A-CUP]
Members
1,022 posts
8,156 battles
9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Ya I also bought myself Hak perma camo after the rework.. 200k cred maintenance was way to expensive for me to handle ( Tho I was sitting in 115mil cred :Smile_trollface:). But still with the perma camo I didnt need to suffer anymore.. Now im gonna scrape up that Hak space camo that I missed last year during these space events.

Edited by Poisonous_Lily
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
11,310 posts
12,728 battles
4 hours ago, mixmkz said:

Most of the masks I came across were on my team.  The one time the masks were on the other team, they almost won the match for the red team by killing nearly half the team by themselves.  I had to work hard to win that match, didn't get to kill them myself, but I am happy for the win.

Yeah having the Mask players play well instead of doing suicidal charges like last couple events is a lot better. Because if you kill a target that has fought skillfully it makes the rewards a lot more special. That’s why as Corgi I fought as hard as I could and actually learned to fight even better to ensure that only the most worthy of players earned the rewards and so that neither side of the battle felt they were cheated out of a good battle in any way. So delighted to see the Mask players fought so hard.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,150 posts
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah having the Mask players play well instead of doing suicidal charges like last couple events is a lot better. Because if you kill a target that has fought skillfully it makes the rewards a lot more special. That’s why as Corgi I fought as hard as I could and actually learned to fight even better to ensure that only the most worthy of players earned the rewards and so that neither side of the battle felt they were cheated out of a good battle in any way. So delighted to see the Mask players fought so hard.

My stats showed that I actually played better as a Corgi than I did on my main account. Of course, some of this had to do with having access to all the ships, all 19-point commanders and all the premium modules that I wanted. However, I think some had to to too with the fact that I knew that I was expected to allow someone to sink me and therefore perhaps played more aggressively.

[RKLES]
Members
11,310 posts
12,728 battles
15 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

My stats showed that I actually played better as a Corgi than I did on my main account. Of course, some of this had to do with having access to all the ships, all 19-point commanders and all the premium modules that I wanted. However, I think some had to to too with the fact that I knew that I was expected to allow someone to sink me and therefore perhaps played more aggressively.

Yeah having all the ships in the game except test ships of course. And having every single ship get a 19 point captain did make a huge difference, especially when some ships require that you have such a Captain before they truly function. And allowed for many different captain builds to quickly be tried to find the most optimal one, which is why I do well in my Graf Spee when I got one on my main account because of using up a few captains in testing it out as a Corgi. And having Graf Spee and HSF Graf Spee on Corgi account allowed be to get answers twice as fast by using the second Graf Spee If first one had been sunk and was still locked in a battle.

Other thing I noticed is Corgi and Maskarado players typically had far better support from their teams. Since every He knows that such event players are the #1 targets for entire enemy team and that protecting them is great way to endure kills, damage, and even a win. So if you play well as an event player and have full support of your team far more often it really does help.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
11,150 posts
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

So if you play well as an event player and have full support of your team far more often it really does help.

I think that Corgi players had better team support than Maskarados because of two things. 1, the event had gone on longer and people knew more about it. 2. Being representative of a "dog," people were more inclined to protect the Corgi. I don't know how many times I entered a game only to hear "protect our puppy!"

I'd oftentimes taunt the Maskarados, because I'm just evil. For instance, I asked one of it ever considered defecting so that I could kill it and collect the bounty. Another time the enemy had two on the team and I almost had some of them convinced that if there were two on the team that you could TK one and still get the reward (The Maskarado finally told them that they couldn't). Then, in another team I got a bit silly and started "singing" -- "Maskarado, why don't you come to your senses...". All in all, it was a fun event. I even ran into Mousie in her Perth, Maskarado #6. I did my best to send that little rodent to a watery grave but someone beat me to it.

Sign in to follow this