You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
carne

Ridiculous CV damage on DDs

357 comments in this topic

[WNNR]
Members
250 posts
5,900 battles

This has to stop.... this was one drop..... I changed direction, cut speed, had defensive AA on and it meant squat.  Why would you nurf battleship AP vs DDs then put this [edited] mechanic in the game thats even worse?

image.png.1a0d7d7d68482fe1cea7e8ac7f38ca25.png

• Cool 7
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 11
  • Angry 1

[R-F]
Members
242 posts
10,460 battles

I don't know anything about what they think of this mechanic as it stands but it can be really powerful and I'd expect it to get looked at just like how they did rockets. There is still some time left in that open balancing period or whatever they are calling it so there is a good chance this could get changed.

• Cool 2

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

Because DD mains on the forums complain over and over and over about rockets. Not bombs. For some reason.

• Cool 1

Members
1,728 posts
12,458 battles

Here we go with the DD mafia crying for invincibility again. You had rockets completely nerfed so most players cannot use them against you; you had your air detection buffed to make you even more stealthy; and now you want immunity from HE DBs..?

• Cool 32
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 2

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
485 posts
4,576 battles

Well that's 5 what.  1000 lb HE bombs?  DBs have always done pretty impressive damage to DDs if they hit.  I'm more surprised you didn't take more damage tbh.  

[WOLFB]
Members
3,205 posts
13,126 battles

Midway bomb has always been powerful. WG did a good job for putting deadly DB for the US and good torps for the IJN...until they nerfed the flooding chance

[UNNAT]
Members
713 posts
5,422 battles

Sure, let's nerf the last remaining way for CVs to damage DDs. It's not like it's pretty difficult to hit small, maneuvering targets with them as it is or anything.

• Cool 6

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Members
1,912 posts
7,266 battles

Why on Earth did you stop moving?  Do you have any clue how new dive bombers work?

Ps, your Grozovoi has a heal, and another Ps, that lost health isn't the reason you only did 7k damage.  You rushing the cap is why.

Edited by GE_Capital
  • Cool 2

[WNNR]
Members
250 posts
5,900 battles
3 minutes ago, GE_Capital said:

Why on Earth did you stop moving?  Do you have any clue how new dive bombers work?

Never said I stopped moving I cut my speed to turn out faster.  to present a smaller target to the crosshairs.

[WNNR]
Members
250 posts
5,900 battles
4 minutes ago, Tekina_ said:

Sure, let's nerf the last remaining way for CVs to damage DDs. It's not like it's pretty difficult to hit small, maneuvering targets with them as it is or anything.

That's the problem its not hard once you learn to do it. If you watched KOTS today you would have seen multiple 12k + hits on DDs.

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Members
1,912 posts
7,266 battles
Just now, carne said:

Never said I stopped moving I cut my speed to turn out faster.  to present a smaller target to the crosshairs.

Ummm.....that's not how that works in this game, sorry.

Also, edited in my last post after you replied:

5 minutes ago, GE_Capital said:

Ps, your Grozovoi has a heal, and another Ps, that lost health isn't the reason you only did 7k damage.  You rushing the cap is why.

[UNNAT]
Members
713 posts
5,422 battles
Just now, carne said:

That's the problem its not hard once you learn to do it. If you watched KOTS today you would have seen multiple 12k + hits on DDs.

It's pretty difficult for the average player. If you balance things around unicums you end up with a class no one but unicums can play.

• Cool 6

[WNNR]
Members
250 posts
5,900 battles
1 minute ago, GE_Capital said:

Ummm.....that's not how that works in this game, sorry.

Also, edited in my last post after you replied:

Staying the same course certainly isn't an option when they are lined up. I am open to suggestions as to how to avoid that without turning.

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Members
1,912 posts
7,266 battles
Just now, carne said:

Staying the same course certainly isn't an option when they are lined up. I am open to suggestions as to how to avoid that without turning.

5 minutes ago, carne said:

I cut my speed

These are not mutually inclusive.

[WNNR]
Members
250 posts
5,900 battles
1 minute ago, Tekina_ said:

It's pretty difficult for the average player. If you balance things around unicums you end up with a class no one but unicums can play.

No game should ever balance a ship based on the average crap player or you end up with overpowered crap in game. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[WNNR]
Members
250 posts
5,900 battles
Just now, GE_Capital said:

These are not mutually inclusive.

When you cut speed while turning your rudder over your turning circle is smaller. It makes for a larger course correction at the last minute.

[UNNAT]
Members
713 posts
5,422 battles
Just now, carne said:

No game should ever balance a ship based on the average crap player or you end up with overpowered crap in game. 

Have you actually looked at CV stats recently? Anyone but unicums struggles to do much of anything. Balancing around statistical outliers results in poor balance. Balance around potatoes and you end up with OP ships a drooling '[edited] can perform in, balance around unicums and you end up with ships that underperform in anyone else's hands. If you balance around the average player, the ship will be balanced in the hands of the majority of players.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1

Beta Testers
1,378 posts

Well then...

There's usually a couple of IRL purists who like to pop into threads and say how in XXX battle, a BB shell passed clean through YYY destroyer with negligible effect.

Can someone show me what 5 direct hits by 2000lb bombs would to to a destroyer IRL?

edit: I found this

" The Americans estimated that three hits with 500 lb (227 kg) GP bombs would almost certainly sink a 1630-ton destroyer and had a 70% chance of sinking a 2100-ton destroyer. Three hits with 1000 lb (454 kg) GP bombs had a 95% chance of sinking a relatively lightly protected Atlanta-class light cruiser and a 30% chance of sinking a 10,000-ton heavy cruiser. Six hits with the 1000-lb bomb gave a 80% chance of sinking a heavy cruiser. "

so, if ignoring all game balance issues whatsoever, according to this quote, The Langley (using M64 500lb bombs) has a better than even chance of one-shooting a Fletcher (2050 ton standard). You may have gotten off lightly.

• Cool 3

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Members
1,912 posts
7,266 battles
6 minutes ago, carne said:

When you cut speed while turning your rudder over your turning circle is smaller. It makes for a larger course correction at the last minute.

No, that is not modeled in game to a meaningful level.

[WNNR]
Members
250 posts
5,900 battles
5 minutes ago, Tekina_ said:

Have you actually looked at CV stats recently? Anyone but unicums struggles to do much of anything. Balancing around statistical outliers results in poor balance. Balance around potatoes and you end up with OP ships a drooling '[edited] can perform in, balance around unicums and you end up with ships that underperform in anyone else's hands. If you balance around the average player, the ship will be balanced in the hands of the majority of players.

You balance off the capability of a ship not the player those unicums show that CVs are very powerful as is.

Edited by carne
  • Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
4,336 posts
7,347 battles
2 minutes ago, carne said:

You balance off the capability of a ship not the player those unicums show that CVs are very powerful as is.

Unicums do well in every ship type, and mediocre players get mediocre results in every ship type. That's what balance is. You got outplayed, simple as that.

• Cool 1

[UNNAT]
Members
713 posts
5,422 battles
1 minute ago, GE_Capital said:

It is actually, the turning radius is significantly smaller if you cut speed a bit than if you go full throttle. The actual time it takes to make the turn is similar but the course you take is different. I vaguely recall a thread about it where testing was, perhaps by LittleWhiteMouse.

[WNNR]
Members
250 posts
5,900 battles
2 minutes ago, GE_Capital said:

Your wrong there go try in in a cruiser as it is much more pronounced and easy to see in them.