Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

PSA: CV to CV Alpha Strikes....

13 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
5,302 posts
16,626 battles

....are no longer viable.  They won't come close and you are giving up time better used for two or three useful sorties spotting, or dropping fighters, or engaging ships.

Twice in the past two days I've had an enemy CV player run a TBD squadron on the map perimeter early in the game to strike my carrier.  One time, it was six planes lost and no torp hits.  The other game, they tried it TWICE!!!!  Eleven TBD planes down and one torp hit.  I don't know if these are veteran  CV players trying the old style or just someone trying it out to see how it works.  Well folks, it doesn't work.  Even worse, it takes the CV player out of the real action too long and is a detriment to the team.

But hey, if you play against me....do it.  Take yourself out of the action...feed me some planes.  Give our team the advantage.  But seriously...it doesn't work.

Members
117 posts
42 battles

At least on EU this was shockingly common during the first weeks 0.8.0. Seems to be dying down now -- I guess most people have learned the lesson.

To be clear, if you try to go after the enemy CV, you're more than likely losing the game for your team. Their CV is likely doing something useful, you are not.

Edited by jss78

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,469 posts
11,941 battles
8 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

....are no longer viable.  They won't come close and you are giving up time better used for two or three useful sorties spotting, or dropping fighters, or engaging ships.

Twice in the past two days I've had an enemy CV player run a TBD squadron on the map perimeter early in the game to strike my carrier.  One time, it was six planes lost and no torp hits.  The other game, they tried it TWICE!!!!  Eleven TBD planes down and one torp hit.  I don't know if these are veteran  CV players trying the old style or just someone trying it out to see how it works.  Well folks, it doesn't work.  Even worse, it takes the CV player out of the real action too long and is a detriment to the team.

But hey, if you play against me....do it.  Take yourself out of the action...feed me some planes.  Give our team the advantage.  But seriously...it doesn't work.

There is only one proper way to have CV on CV violence.

Going at it with secondaries

[MEIST]
Members
1,366 posts
5,369 battles
Just now, Soshi_Sone said:

I saw a video of Notser at the end of a game where there was just a red CV left and he was in a Siapan. Like you said, he couldn't do anything to the red CV. Lucky for him there was a surface ship to take out the CV. Bad feeling not being able to do anything to the last red ship.

[SANK]
Members
301 posts
6,004 battles
12 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

LOL you used CV and alpha strike in the same sentence. :P

Members
1,694 posts
8,587 battles

I've had no less than three people try this on my today, Once in Hak and twice in Implacable. Both of which have armored flight decks. You would think after five or so runs they would learn they aren't doing anything but losing planes.

Members
2,512 posts
4,197 battles
13 minutes ago, jager_geist said:

I saw a video of Notser at the end of a game where there was just a red CV left and he was in a Siapan. Like you said, he couldn't do anything to the red CV. Lucky for him there was a surface ship to take out the CV. Bad feeling not being able to do anything to the last red ship.

My god,  the Saipan is in such a bad place right now.  Tier 10 planes that melt to Tier 8 AA.  Its pathetic.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,288 posts
6,099 battles
2 minutes ago, Palladia said:

My god,  the Saipan is in such a bad place right now.  Tier 10 planes that melt to Tier 8 AA.  Its pathetic.

meanwhile GZ is still stronger than all 3 premium cvs.

[CSALT]
Members
1,393 posts
1 hour ago, jager_geist said:

Assuming that 'doing things' to the red CV is the only way to win the battle.  He could still cap.  He could still spot.  A plane would regen at some point possibly.

There is always ramming too if you're determined to sink the red CV or need too and you have the points to still win after doing so.

[DEV_X]
Supertester
2,223 posts
21,252 battles

The best way to destroy an enemy CV as a CV player is to spot him for your battleships or scout for a sneaky destroyer, though the battleship option is more practical.

[RLGN]
Members
12,618 posts
22,441 battles
2 hours ago, jss78 said:

At least on EU this was shockingly common during the first weeks 0.8.0. Seems to be dying down now -- I guess most people have learned the lesson.

To be clear, if you try to go after the enemy CV, you're more than likely losing the game for your team. Their CV is likely doing something useful, you are not.

Considering how poorly many did trying to in RTS, it was generally a waste of time then as well.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,469 posts
11,941 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

meanwhile GZ is still stronger than all 3 premium cvs.

Of course, It's got secondaries that shoot better most players. Wouldn't surprise me if someones taken one though a match, never launched airplanes, and came in top of the team on secondaries alone. Not that using aircraft is effective when you're 2 tiers down 80% of the time.

Sign in to follow this