Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DQCraze

Question Regarding DD Play

10 comments in this topic

[WB]
Members
143 posts
12,440 battles

Do you think its more difficult now with 2 CVs, Radar, Sonar and RPF to play.  All I find now in random play is even if im spotting most of the team is hiding behind an island and by the time I start retreating its to late.  So what exactly is the role of the DD now? How do you avoid your torps from being spotted?  How do you get your team to move up and cap, the game has turned into everyone taking cover and no one moving up and if they do they instantly get ambushed.   The game is set up for clans and divisions now.  I look at the map and there are 7 ships on my team sitting behind an island scared to come out.  

Supertester
2,179 posts
9,480 battles

Different nations of DDs play very differently, so it would help to know what ships you are playing

My general advice on DD play is F3 Shimakaze or Yugumo. Those are the 8km, 76 knot torpedoes found on the T9 and 10 IJN DDs. You may think "But why, those must be really dangerous with all the threats around." to which my answer is yes, they are dangerous. They are not easy torpedoes to use and they really force you to learn positioning gunfighting, among other things if you want to do well with them. If you want to improve, it will never happen if you keep playing easy stuff

Members
1,697 posts
8,636 battles

I personally am enjoying DD play more since the rework. Part is a bit of coincidence, but the rest is that with CVs in play it takes a lot of the stress of playing a DD away. Without CVs, DDs have the biggest influence of the match out of any ship type. A DD that made selfless moves could nearly assure victory for a team, while the yolo who eats a torp in the first five minutes leaves a lot more work for his team. Now you can you focus on getting damage, hunting other DDs, and snatching up those sweet uncontested caps.

[STR4T]
Members
134 posts
1,016 battles
1 hour ago, DQCraze said:

Do you think its more difficult now with 2 CVs, Radar, Sonar and RPF to play.  All I find now in random play is even if im spotting most of the team is hiding behind an island and by the time I start retreating its to late.  So what exactly is the role of the DD now? How do you avoid your torps from being spotted?  How do you get your team to move up and cap, the game has turned into everyone taking cover and no one moving up and if they do they instantly get ambushed.   The game is set up for clans and divisions now.  I look at the map and there are 7 ships on my team sitting behind an island scared to come out.  

First of all, you should know RPF, Radar and Airplanes don't spot torpedoes. And cruisers only activate their hydro if they know you are nearby, or if they narrowly avoid your torpedoes and know a second set is on the way. In general, just don't target cruisers with torpedoes, unless killing them is crucial to winning a game. Even then, guns might be the better option.

" How do you get your team to move up and cap?"

Is that a rhetorical question? I think you know perfectly well that there are some players who are going to camp, no matter what you do. There's literally nothing you can do besides politely telling them it would be in their interests to provide support. One last tip: insulting their intelligence or their mothers does not help, at all. Beyond that, you can only accept there has always been bad players, and there always will be.

[RLGN]
Members
12,686 posts
22,531 battles
2 hours ago, DQCraze said:

The game is set up for clans and divisions now. L

...and Tier 10 battles.

At the moment only caring about one destroyer in PvP; my DFAA Nicholas; which is having a grand olde time, (last two battles were 65 and 71 shoot down totals.)

WG is waiting in vain if they’re wanting me to play tier ten.

[CSALT]
Members
1,396 posts
3 hours ago, DQCraze said:

Yes, it can be difficult though it is better now than it was with 0.8.0.

The role is the same as any other ship.  Enjoy yourself and do what you can to help your fleet win.  There is no single tactical role for DDs anymore than there is for BBs or Cruisers.

You can't do the same thing battle after battle, you have to adapt to each battle and choose the strategy that helps your fleet the most.  Sometimes this means capping, sometimes screening, sometimes staying dark and spotting.  Capping in the last five minutes can be more valuable than capping in the first five.

Don't rely on the same tactic over and over or you will be become predictable and that gets you killed(Sitting in smoke and eating torps would be one example, driving in straight lines another).  If you find yourself getting ambushed, pay more attention to the map and your situational awareness.

Take what the battle is giving you, don't try to force things, that gets you killed.  This doesn't mean don't be aggressive, it just means be aggressive when it favours you.

Do and be the unexpected.

Above all else, patience.  Avoid the YOLO and save it for when you're trapped.

[WOLFB]
Members
3,216 posts
13,153 battles

I hate when there are 2 CV per team, it basically spot everything on both flank and you don't wanna go B unless you want to die to crossfire. With 1 CV you can deal with it as long as you play smart and wait a bit before charging cap.

Sonar is annoying when you play torps boat but it's not a direct threat.

Radar is no longer that huge treat if you don't overextend but the Soviet radar is particulary annoying. However I don't know if the delay on radar only affect the 6 first second of the radar or once the ship is spotted.

[PT]
Members
687 posts
2,439 battles

If there are 2 cvs on the enemy team (and a few radar cruisers) I just hang back and play a support role, the risks outweigh the rewards. People still try and scout but all to often they get lit up and wasted in the first couple of minutes. 

[SUDO]
Members
7 posts
1,336 battles

I'm no great DD player, but I do have fun with the class.

My DD play has not been hugely affected. Just shut off your AA if you're unspotted and play it careful around caps. Learn which ships have radar and don't get in too close until you know where they are. Don't play smoke games against KM or RN DDs at close range, as they can see you with hydro. Don't sit in smoke for too long around other DDs unless you're positive they won't shoot torps into your smoke.

[CUTER]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,254 posts
12,963 battles

I love it when the meta hates DDs.  It makes me a better DD player as I learn to counter the new threats.

If you want some tip on DDs check out my YouTube channel below.

Sign in to follow this